Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 108 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pavlor

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pavlor:  2 mins ago
 Maijestro:  14 mins ago
 Rob:  16 mins ago
 kriz:  40 mins ago
 matthey:  51 mins ago
 amig_os:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 Seiya:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 amigatronics:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  New Deluxe Paint for AmigaOS
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
_Steve_ 
Re: New Deluxe Paint for AmigaOS
Posted on 14-Nov-2013 23:06:03
#81 ]
Team Member

@Jupp3

Perhaps because 75% of it is in Pascal, and to be fair, the Amiga did get several programs that are better than the original Photoshop (Photogenics being a prime example).

Sketchblock for AmigaOS4 is again far superior. A port of that old code would be somewhat pointless. It's main purpose would be as an exercise in re-writing Pascal into C/C++.

Profile     Report this post  
Jupp3 
Posted on 14-Nov-2013 23:55:03
#82 ]

@_Steve_

Quote:
Perhaps because 75% of it is in Pascal, and to be fair, the Amiga did get several programs that are better than the original Photoshop (Photogenics being a prime example).

Yes, that post was mostly meant as a joke, thought that a dancing banana would have made it more obvious

I simply cannot understand this hype around Deluxe Paint. Sure, it was rather nice program for its time.

In 2013, it's not as nice anymore. Still, there are several "clones" of it anyway, many of which are better in some ways.

Still, some people seem to think it would skyrocket Amiga back to the top of graphics design, only if Electronic Arts would relese the ancient Deluxe Paint sources. Much of which is probably written in asm.

PR 
Posted on 15-Nov-2013 5:39:48
#83 ]

We were used to DP and the animation capabilities. Just like my father types a laptop like it was an ancient mechanical typing machine.

I did a lot of our companies graphics with it like: My sister is going to Finland from Spain, the car is going in five minutes to the airport. Make a logo for Apartamentos xxx. That logo has been there since the golden 80's.

Thats't what I mean efficient and fast Amiga creavity.

Last edited by PR on 15-Nov-2013 at 05:40 AM.

ExiE 
Posted on 15-Nov-2013 8:50:43
#84 ]

@_Steve_

Actually it would be nice advertisement for Amiga to show that we got now Photoshop available for Amiga too

amigadave 
Posted on 15-Nov-2013 9:13:17
#85 ]

@ExiE

Quote:

ExiE wrote:
@_Steve_

Actually it would be nice advertisement for Amiga to show that we got now Photoshop available for Amiga too

Nice for who? Maybe it would be nice for a few Amiga users to see an early version of Photoshop ported to the Amiga, but outside the Amiga community, no one would even notice such an announcement, other than to shrug their shoulders and say, is the Amiga really still used by anyone? (or more likely, "What is an Amiga?")

PR 
Posted on 15-Nov-2013 10:48:36
#86 ]

Bought a 700€ laptop where are stickers of this Photoshop included!

Never opened it up it still in a few years- Maybe it's like FaceBook for me: Never will use.

Edit: That's for non-creative people?

Last edited by PR on 15-Nov-2013 at 11:36 AM.

ExiE 
Posted on 15-Nov-2013 19:38:45
#87 ]

@amigadave

hmm maybe i should add some "irony" sticker to be clear

vrana 
Posted on 16-Nov-2013 1:52:13
#88 ]

@amigadave

Quote:

Nice for who? Maybe it would be nice for a few Amiga users to see an early version of Photoshop ported to the Amiga, but outside the Amiga community, no one would even notice such an announcement, other than to shrug their shoulders and say, is the Amiga really still used by anyone? (or more likely, "What is an Amiga?")

I usually get "What is an Omega?"

BigD 
Posted on 16-Nov-2013 2:14:14
#89 ]
Elite Member

@vrana

That's the mistake my Gran made when I told her the model of my computer.

"An Omega, ohhh that's a good brand!" She still helped me buy a 030 accelerator upgrade though. Love you Gran, you were great.

PR 
Posted on 16-Nov-2013 2:28:13
#90 ]

Here if I say Amiga guys and Gals Say: Are You Still Serious? Had to burry my both Grandmothers years ago.

Well I'd be serious if there was something to be about;) Again.

Raffaele 
Posted on 16-Nov-2013 13:42:43
#91 ]

@Franko

Quote:

Franko wrote:
@scala47

Quote:

scala47 wrote:

Your Wrong. Brilliance 2.0 demolished Deluxe Paint.

Actually neither of you are wrong...

It's only opinions and depends on your own personal preferences/ use...

I use both DPaint and Brilliance 2 but in my opinion DPaint is better for my uses and so in my opinion DPaint is the better package...

No matter what we think of each others "opinions" I can tell you one thing, nothing on the Mac even comes close to being able to compete with the Amiga when it comes to paint packages, which considering how far advanced a modern day Mac is in comparison to the Amiga is pretty remarkable...

I agree 100% to what you said!

@Thread:

None of you ever tried Project Dogwaffle free demo version?

It runs on X86 Windows and the author was a genuine DeLuxe Paint lover, so he cloned even keyboard shortcuts...

http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/free/

Sources were sold to a more commercial firm that evolved Project Dogwaffle into PD Pro Paint program...
PD Pro has very cool features and you can buy external plug-ins that give stunning effects like spline brushes.
There is also a cool thing I love: a pd-particles plug-in software (now it is for free?) Which can make magic things like self-growing natural plants brushes on fractal seed...

I like also Paint Tool SAI.

It is a japanese program aimed only at pixel painting. So there are no effects and no layers (dunno if there are in latest versions). It has a very cool ink-pen like set of brushes and reacts very well to graphic tablets like Wacom Bamboo...
It seems to me that it runs on MacOS X also. But I am not sure of this.

Sure thing is that it is lightweight just as good ol' DeLuxe Paint.

http://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/

I'd really like to see a program like PD-Pro on Amiga. Sure it is very close to Amiga D-Paint experience...

Last edited by Raffaele on 16-Nov-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Jupp3 
Posted on 16-Nov-2013 19:48:22
#92 ]

@_Steve_

Quote:
Perhaps because 75% of it is in Pascal

If you think that's too much code, then it's probably better to port PA!NT 16b instead

_Steve_ 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 2:24:25
#93 ]
Team Member

@Jupp3

Hehe very funny

BigD 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 10:08:42
#94 ]
Elite Member

@PR

Quote:
Maybe it's like FaceBook for me: Never will use. Edit: That's for non-creative people?

I agree. The rise of social networking has limited the creative use of computers for the general public. DPaint was THE creative app for the general public to dabble with. Photoshop definitely is not the same sort of program as it is far to fiddly for the average Joe and is simply not the fun and intuitive experience that DPaint was!

It is very important that we get a next-gen version of this program. The question is are EA ready to open source it or do a deal with Hyperion?

Raffaele 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 16:01:09
#95 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:

It is very important that we get a next-gen version of this program. The question is are EA ready to open source it or do a deal with Hyperion?

And it is very important to do it soon, as long as the sources of DPaint could be stored on old hard disks or worse, they could be stored still on floppy disks that are subjects to rapid obsolescence...

wawa 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 16:24:43
#96 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Photoshop may be too fiddly for you personally, but not for general public. Which it is more popular with in whatever form, be it "elements" than dpaint ever was. Besides whatever productivity package is not that important. Look at the boom of cg on whatever media today, compare it with amiga times and compare it with the creativity of todays so to say"amiga scene" and stop convincing yourself amiga was the single creative platform of all times. Especially that none of todays so called amiga ng platforms hasanything significant to propose in the matter, let alone user base.

BigD 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 18:09:00
#97 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
Photoshop may be too fiddly for you personally, but not for general public.

I strongly disagree. Photoshop makes tasks that were easy on DPaint like drawing a curved line stupidly fiddly. Photoshop might be ok for adjusting the contrast, brightness or sharpness of an image or sprucing up out of focus photos but it does not encourage graphics artists or animators to "give it a go" like DPaint did.

Whether Photoshop is more commercially successful or not is not the point. Photoshop has very little competition in the market place right now and is marketed as the all conquering graphics package. It seems like it is used as a sledge hammer tool when a screwdriver may be better. It is for photography and graphics artist wannabes not budding animators and young computer enthusiasts like DPaint was

I'll be introducing my little one to DPaint from an early age. Photoshop is definitely a tool best left to introduce during secondary school as it would infuriate any child younger than that and would have the same boredom inducing affect as teaching databases and spreadsheets to an 11 year old

The reintroduction of DPaint to next gen Amigas is more about making computing 'fun' again rather than chasing down the world dominating market share that Photoshop has sewn up.

P.S. I sense you want to completely write out of history the Amiga's contribution to the computer animation industry. If the Amiga had only been used on the British TV shows Catchphrase and Rolf's Cartoon Club (never mind Babylon 5, the story boarding for Jurassic Park etc) then that would be heritage enough. The number of kids that would have been inspired into animation by those shows in the 80s/90s would have likely dwarfed those dabbling in Photoshop at college or on their home PeeCees in the noughties. Why? Because Amiga/DPaint made it fun!

Last edited by BigD on 17-Nov-2013 at 06:11 PM.

PR 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 18:12:11
#98 ]

@BigD

Top 10+ ;)

Can't play the animations in Photoshop let alone create any. Maybe it's just a little trying to be too smart again for an old AmigaGuy. Just hate the pc in all ways as it tries to do everything for You. Lost a lot of pictures just because of that. Cannot undo the memory card anymore or find the path as the pc has hidden these somewhere.

Believe me that this is no joke or unexperienced user.

Simplicity an efficient would be my likes..

Edit: Spelling errors, there still are. Try to speak Finnish;)

Last edited by PR on 17-Nov-2013 at 07:33 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 20:22:13
#99 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
I strongly disagree. Photoshop makes tasks that were easy on DPaint like drawing a curved line stupidly fiddly. Photoshop might be ok for adjusting the contrast, brightness or sharpness of an image or sprucing up out of focus photos but it does not encourage graphics artists or animators to "give it a go" like DPaint did.

what are your claims based on? personal experience? involvement in the art scene? because im an artist myself and can assure you that i know a lot of people like me who use photoshop not only to adjust contrast on their holiday photos. sigh..

Quote:
Photoshop has very little competition in the market place right now and is marketed as the all conquering graphics package.

because its de facto industry standard even though there is a number of other apparently worthy packages like painter, even some free im just trying out on my new tablet.

Quote:
I'll be introducing my little one to DPaint from an early age. Photoshop is definitely a tool best left to introduce during secondary school as it would infuriate any child younger than that and would have the same boredom inducing affect as teaching databases and spreadsheets to an 11 year old

sure its good for kids;) but on the other hand moderately useful for real work. i just designed a planar iff theme for aros and ended up using grafx2 instead of any genuine amiga package. the workflow is just much better.

Quote:
P.S. I sense you want to completely write out of history the Amiga's contribution to the computer animation industry. If the Amiga had only been used on the British TV shows Catchphrase and Rolf's Cartoon Club (never mind Babylon 5, the story boarding for Jurassic Park etc) then that would be heritage enough. The number of kids that would have been inspired into animation by those shows in the 80s/90s would have likely dwarfed those dabbling in Photoshop at college or on their home PeeCees in the noughties. Why? Because Amiga/DPaint made it fun!

versus a huge number of much more popular stuff amiga wasnt related to in any way. or in much lesser degree some amigans want to pretend. im really bored with this babylon 5 you get thrown at yourself as soon as you mention amiga. most crappy cg and boring, cheap looking b-movie series i can think of even in the pulp fiction area.

im not trying to dimnish amiga and value it for what it was, but hell, lets stay down to earth..

Last edited by wawa on 17-Nov-2013 at 08:23 PM.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 21:29:18
#100 ]

@wawa,

Babylon5 was made with Lightwave. So now you throw them under the bus with DP.

Chris

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle