Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  6 mins ago
 dreamlandfantasy:  14 mins ago
 zipper:  21 mins ago
 kinchan:  22 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  37 mins ago
 Beamish2040:  38 mins ago
 Seiya:  42 mins ago
 MagicSN:  50 mins ago
 kiFla:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  So, it's seems that we can have our (PPC)berry too.
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
KimmoK 
Re: So, it's seems that we can have our (PPC)berry too.
Posted on 26-Nov-2012 12:51:15
#101 ]
Elite Member

@tinyPPC devices etc.
btw. I'm progressing towards finding time to forward my CC ideas.
LE to get more time is 4/2013, got the "carport" 80% ready & got a timberman to help to finalize it & the rest of housebuilding.
LE for 4days work week is 8/2013. (can not afford it any sooner, I think)

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=35273&forum=4&6#680086

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Profile     Report this post  
olegil 
Posted on 26-Nov-2012 13:15:13
#102 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

If you want the P2041 library, just tell me. I've got it in the same library as all my other stuff now, but it's fairly easy to fork off a copy of a single component in recent Eagle versions. I did 99% of the work by scripting from the pin mapping in the datasheet, just had to struggle a little converting the pdf into proper text (the table doesn't translate 1:1 to a textual table).

So first I copied from datasheet, then cleaned up the text, then identified redundant copies of the same pin, then broke it into the logical symbol modules I wanted, then for each of those I made the pins in the symbol like this:

BEGIN { x = 0;x = 0 ;print "grid mil" }
{ print "pin R0 "$3" '"$1"@"$2"' (0 -" x ")";x = x+100 }

and the mapping in the device thus:

{ print "connect uart/i2c."$1"@"$3" "$3"" }

Of course, I also scripted making the footprint, but for that I use C, like this:

int x,y;
int offset_x,offset_y;

offset_x = (columns-1)*(pitch/2);
offset_y = (rows-1)*(pitch/2);

printf("GRID mic\nGRID %d\nCH layer 16\n",pitch/2);
for(y=0;y<rows;y++) {
for(x=0;x<columns;x++) {
if(bga[y][x] == '1') {
printf("SMD %d %d -100 '%s%d' (%d %d)\n",pitch/2, pitch/2, names[y], x+1, pitch*x-offset_x, pitch*y-offset_y);
}
}
}

Where bga[][] is a two-dimensional array with entries like "011111110" for a row of 9 with 2 missing balls and names[] contains the "a", "b" and so on. columns, rows and pitch should be self-explanatory for anyone who knows C (28,28,800 in this case )

All in all an interesting exercise, haven't scripted that much before, ever. Had a few pitfalls at the last step where I had neglected to fix up in step 1.

Here's an exampel of how I contracted the pin mapping to make it parse in awk:
!DMA1_DREQ0!/IIC4_SCL/!EVT5!/M1SRCID1/LB_SRCID1/GPIO18 DMA1Channel0Request AC23 I OVDD 24
!DMA1_DACK0!/IIC3_SCL/GPIO16/!SDHC_CD!/M1DVAL/LB_DVAL DMA1Channel0Acknowledge AB23 O OVDD 2, 14
!DMA1_DDONE0!/IIC3_SDA/GPIO17/M1SRCID0/LB_SRCID0/SDHC_WP DMA1Channel0Done AB26 O OVDD 2, 14
!DMA2_DREQ0!/IRQ03/GPIO21 DMA2Channel0Request AA26 I OVDD 24
!DMA2_DACK0!/IRQ04/GPIO22 DMA2Channel0Acknowledge V25 O OVDD 24
!DMA2_DDONE0!/IRQ05/GPIO23 DMA2Channel0Done AA22 O OVDD 24
IRQ00 ExternalInterrupts Y25 I OVDD —
IRQ01 ExternalInterrupts AB27 I OVDD —
IRQ02 ExternalInterrupts AB25 I OVDD —
!TMP_DETECT TamperDetect T24 I OVDD 25
!LP_TMP_DETECT LowPowerTamperDetect L21 I VDD_LP 25
!PORESET PowerOnReset T22 I OVDD —
!HRESET HardReset T23 I/O OVDD 1, 2
!RESET_REQ ResetRequest U28 O OVDD 31

Basically just made sure the name of the pin was all in one "word", many of those long ones had been broken into several lines in the pdf. Then deleted all the spaces in the description, making this also a single column for awk. The third column is then the pad name.

pins are named "signal@pad", where only the "signal" part will be visible in the schematic. Actually pretty easy, but I would have wished to have the table in a format where I wouldn't have to sit many hours checking text before scripting the library... The pin !DMA1_DREQ0!/IIC4_SCL/!EVT5!/M1SRCID1/LB_SRCID1/GPIO18 is listed 5 or 6 times in the datasheet, that's rather a lot. Plus it had at least 1, probably two linebreaks in the name.

Last edited by olegil on 26-Nov-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

olegil 
Posted on 26-Nov-2012 14:31:48
#103 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

forgot to mention, the first two scripts are in awk.

Awkward: In the manner of awk.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

olegil 
Posted on 8-Dec-2012 10:53:37
#104 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

I'm in a state of "what have I done now" currently. Designing something based on a P1016 (with P1025 on the first proto to check if we need the higher performance). Put the first chips into the schematics yesterday, have a work plan that runs until christmas (10 more days) but have another 10 days in January until the hard deadline. I don't think anyone has ever brought out a POWER arch board faster

So now it's all work and no play. But that's life. If I manage to get at least to the 80% stage before jul (norwegian spelling) I'll be one happy camper. So don't expect me to log back in until then

Privately I started on something based on the 2041 and there is definetly hope for that after I finish this work project

billt 
Posted on 27-Feb-2013 12:50:10
#105 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Somehow I managed to overlook all the good stuff in this thread. I didn't get much past the original part about the incompatible fpu, and missed your ideas later. :/ (I'm way behind in email too)

Sounds interesting. I'd be fine with some sb600 sort of thing if needed here. perhaps make a pcie slot and put the companion on a card, then use it or something else as user desires? If nothing else, then put sata connector on a small passive (ie. cheap) wiring card to use in the slot and reconfig those serdes to sata? then maybe upgrade to fancy active card later and change the serdes to pcie for that... similar to something else we'd talked about in the past (old mSATA/pcie ideas).

I do like the idea of another OS4 on another core. Have a separate core for testing/debugging new code, so something bad there doesn't bring down your main OS session. Not sure how that works for resetting only one of several cores and keeping the rest alive and running...

olegil 
Posted on 3-Mar-2013 14:03:55
#106 ]
Elite Member

@billt

I would really try to avoid putting anything extra on here, but I really could go for a smallish FPGA (as an option, maybe an S6LX9-TQ144) connected to the local bus, to emulate ECS or even AGA. OR, we make an Amiga-on-a-Spartan6 with PCIe and put it on a PCIe card for all platforms. That could actually be doable, with some MMU tricks to make the lower 16MB range point to PCIe instead of main memory. S6LX9 has 2 DDR2 memory controllers, this really helps for quick designs.

olegil 
Posted on 29-May-2013 12:32:42
#107 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Freescale seems to be shaving off about 15 USD per chip in the P204x family from june, on the C revision die. Other changes is lead free die bumps (connecting the silicon to the adapter PCB we tend to think of as the BGA). This has traditionally been a can of worms, I wonder why they seem to want to open that up now. Can't find any press releases bragging about it either.

olegil 
Posted on 5-Nov-2013 7:40:35
#108 ]
Elite Member

@everyone:
Sorry if this is flogging an old horse, but I simply had to.

@olegil
Now that Trevor is using the e5500, he's essentially paved the way for a "cheap" dual-core T102x with upgrade paths through 4 e5500 cores in the T104x and 4 e6500 dual-thread cores (and altivec) in the T2081, as all those are pin compatible. This is where a low-end board should be in 2015 in my Freescale-biased opinion.

Basically take everything I wrote about the P2040 and replace it with T1022, P2041 can be replaced with T1042. Above that you would have an option of T2081 as well, without changing anything else (as far as I know, am hoping for more information soon).

KimmoK 
Posted on 5-Nov-2013 9:20:45
#109 ]
Elite Member

It seems T10xx and T20xx are shipping. At least for developer needs.
http://www.zauba.com/import-BRAND+FREESCALE-hs-code.html
(8000...64000MIPS would be pretty nice for "low end" with xkernell AOS .... actually this should be mid range HW, there's room for even cheaper SoC chips in the low end?)

(I wonder how hard it would be to get AOS4 build for T10xx developer board...)

Last edited by KimmoK on 05-Nov-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 05-Nov-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 5-Nov-2013 10:30:12
#110 ]

@AmigaBlitter

http://www.servergy.com/index.html

404 not found...

Bye bye tiny PPC!

Last edited by Raffaele on 05-Nov-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 5-Nov-2013 11:12:51
#111 ]

@ALL

BTW! Any tiny motherboard solution with less than 1GIGA RAM and "even the di** will dislike it"! (Neapolitan noun: "fa schifo al c...."!)

Please don't post motherboad solutions with just 512 mega RAM. They are ugly unuseful.

ATTENTION: Sure Amiga is a suitable OS running even with lesser RAM and Amiga software is not RAM-Rabid-Consuming.

But on these mini boards that have small graphical capabilities then 1 gigabyte of RAM is necessary to preload graphics, and mainly video and audio straming more than 800x600x25 fps stereo audio, and then swap it from RAM cache to graphic memory in order to boost video performances, and sure Amiga software is famous for being suitable for this preload+swap trick.

Last edited by Raffaele on 05-Nov-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 05-Nov-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Yssing 
Posted on 5-Nov-2013 11:40:18
#112 ]

What about something like this: http://www.servergy.com/cleantech-server/cts-1000/

Rose 
Posted on 5-Nov-2013 11:50:37
#113 ]
Cult Member

@Yssing

Quote:

Yssing wrote:
What about something like this: http://www.servergy.com/cleantech-server/cts-1000/

It has been on pre-order there for about a year. And it's too little, too late. Causes more problems than solves in real world enviroment unless it's dirt cheap.

Last edited by Rose on 05-Nov-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 5-Nov-2013 12:42:51
#114 ]

@Rose

Quote:

Rose wrote:
@Yssing

Quote:

Yssing wrote:

It has been on pre-order there for about a year. And it's too little, too late. Causes more problems than solves in real world enviroment unless it's dirt cheap.

Nice if only this little beast had had a video output of some kind...

KimmoK 
Posted on 5-Nov-2013 16:38:36
#115 ]
Elite Member

I think P-Cuped is canceled or it will be replaced with a "T" model.

@Raffaele

"PCIe Gen 2, X4"

Last edited by KimmoK on 05-Nov-2013 at 04:39 PM.

olegil 
Posted on 6-Nov-2013 9:29:30
#116 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Deep down I knew it was a bad idea to resurrect the old thread instead of starting a new one. Now we get to relive the servergy discussion AGAIN

@thread
I'm actually talking here about NOT using a servergy board.

retro 
Posted on 22-Jan-2014 17:34:51
#117 ]

@olegil

maby aeon wil make an chep pci card with the p6040 cpu and make it transputer style with alot of them,maby an arm and a x86 cpu then the card can be an acc card witc gives the platfirn for making some of the os in 86x and at the same time give the possible to put in an ppc acc card in an pc and then run os 4.2 via ppc and with an x86 powerup thing

lylehaze 
Posted on 22-Jan-2014 17:56:07
#118 ]

@retro

Quote:
and make it transputer style

What ever happened to the "Transputer"?

Just wondering.

xeron 
Posted on 22-Jan-2014 20:52:21
#119 ]
Elite Member
From: Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe

@lylehaze

Inmos was bought by ST Microelectronics. They made slightly more "normal" CPUs with the Transputer stuff, and did very well making set top box SoCs with them. Later they teamed up with Hitachi to make the SH4, which was used in newer STB SoCs (as well as the dreamcast...). ST are closing the Inmos building, and the last staff will be out at the end of March, ending over 30 years of semiconductor design at the site in Bristol, UK.

I worked there from 2010 until about 3 months ago :)

Last edited by xeron on 22-Jan-2014 at 08:52 PM.

utri007 
Posted on 22-Jan-2014 21:23:32
#120 ]

@Crumb

Quote:
A Sam440 is probably even slower than a Peg1. There's nothing "neat" about Sam440, it was already slow and obsolete when it was released many years after Pegasos1&2.

I own Sam440ep Flex and my expectations was quite much as you said, becuase of people like you.

I was very very surprized how fast that little machine is and how usefull it is for many tasks. Web surfing is been all the time nice experiment, web browsers behave differently than on Win machines, but overall experiment is same. Watching PAL quality movies is just fine etc.

In fact, it is faster than Peg1/AmigaOneSe almost every task, even 66mhz PCI bus is faster than Peg1/AmigaOneSe AGP

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle