Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
4 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 hotrod:  8 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 Deaths_Head:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 Makedonk:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 51 mins ago
 lionstorm:  2 hrs 58 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Silicon Dreams/VCF 2013 - July 5-7, 2013
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
Rob 
Re: Silicon Dreams/VCF 2013 - July 5-7, 2013
Posted on 7-Jul-2013 18:13:30
#141 ]
Elite Member

@rats

Yep the event was a bit quiet but the venue was nice in that there was plenty to see at the museum. I'd have loved to have seen some the various steam engines in action.
It was nice see all the different computers and consoles in the main section, some of which I'd never even heard of.

Matt told me that the Play Expo which they'll be attending in October is a massive show with a huge number of attendees.

Profile     Report this post  
eliyahu 
Posted on 7-Jul-2013 19:04:16
#142 ]

@Rob

i'm sorry the turnout was less than expected. nonetheless from the photos posted on A-EON's facebook page, it looks like there were at least a fair number of people who showed at the amiga section and folks enjoyed themselves. i'm stunned matthew is doing both play expo and amiwest. he's going to be exhausted by the time he arrives in sacramento.

@thread

i don't suppose anyone has some photos or videos of the show they'd like to share?

-- eliyahu

rats 
Posted on 7-Jul-2013 19:12:31
#143 ]

@eliyahu

I am editing a video report at the moment ;) interviews with Amigakit etc

2x A4000/030 Stock

Rob 
Posted on 7-Jul-2013 19:25:08
#144 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

I think it was probably to gauge turnout because of the way in which the exhibitors were spread out across the museum. If you in one part you couldn't see what was going on elsewhere. It was nice being able to chat to Trevor, Matt and the others.

AmigaKit did Play last year and I think Matt said it was 3 days later that he jetted of to California. Hard work but it must be nice to have a change of scenary. I think he said they are expecting something like 30,000 people through the doors for that show so an excellent opportunity for promo and follow-up business.

Forgot to say but Matt showed me a prototype Amiga Joystick that may or may not be produced and sold. If someone hasn't beaten me to I'll show a picture when I can.

Rudei 
Posted on 7-Jul-2013 19:49:54
#145 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Always interested in new Classic Amiga joysticks.

Rude!

1Mouse 
Posted on 7-Jul-2013 20:07:08
#146 ]

@rats

Will look forward to watching and thanks for the Mac will get it running as and when I can.

Also planning on digging out one of my Raspberry Pi and getting RiscOS running on it.

Now lets see how many different OSs I can get to work in this house, what have we got already?

Oh yes must get in touch with AmigaKit as well

Last edited by 1Mouse on 07-Jul-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

Mikey_C 
Posted on 7-Jul-2013 21:41:14
#147 ]
Elite Member

Hi All,

I just wanted to write down my last ever thoughts on an event organised by myself involving the Amiga.

Venue, Silicon Dreams/VCF 2013, Snibston Discovery Museum Coalville, Leicester. (UK)

First of all A big thank you to Simon Hewitt & His support crew, who organised the event of which the Amiga area was a small part.

Secondly, a big thank you to the Amiga North Thames Crew who managed to attend and help out over the entire weekend.
Chris H, Mike Woods, Andy Costin & Raoul Penel (Swisso).

In addition thank you to Amigakit's Matt and Chris, brilliant to catch up with you again! But I think for sheer support, it has to all go to Trevor Dickinson of A-EON who flew from the other side of the planet to be at this event.

The event itself, well, to say that the event was well attended, would be stretching things, in truth, I think the british weather ruined it!

Lets face it, Silicon Dreams came up against one of the hottest, sunniest weekend on the whole year. So naturally a lot of people (I can't say I blame them) decided to make the most of it outdoors and not spend the day at an indoor event.

Sunday was by far the busiest day of the lot, I want to thank all the Amiga users (regardless of the flavour) who came up from all corners of the UK to say hi, Thanks to the former SEAL crew, (Esp Robert & Elliot) Hi to Michael & Marcus and a few other's whose name escapes me. In addition special thanks to Sven Harvey for his endless plug about the event on MicroMart Magazine - Cheers!!!

As you would all know by know the two new Amiga prototypes were unveiled and that has already been discussed. For me personally the highlight of the weekend was having a FIVE way Multi-player fest of Hyperion's Freespace game this consisted of...
1x MicroA1-c
1x MicroA1-b
1x SAM 440
1x AmigaOne XE
and Chris from Amigakit on A-Eon's own AX1000 Monster machine! the whole thing was a blast, I am sure the whole of the museum shook to the sound of Shivans getting pounded left right and centre from the 5 AmigaOS4.1 machines! Fun times!!!

And so, I hang up my UK Amiga organising skills. It has been fun, but I honestly feel that I am getting out at the right time for me.

Last but not least a special Mention to Ravi (Rats) for representing the MOS side of things.

Now, its up to someone else.

Mikey C

Boot_WB 
Posted on 7-Jul-2013 22:02:17
#148 ]

@Mikey_C

A great note to go out on, I hope someone with your dedication picks up the baton.

I have to take my hat off to you for the commitment you've shown over the years, and respect the hard footwork and uncounted hours of cajoling and communicating you've put in to keep promoting the Amiga scene.

I guess you'll still be taking part in future events, just not doing the organising bit anymore?

Boot_WB 
Posted on 7-Jul-2013 22:20:51
#149 ]

@Thread

Quote:

Rob wrote:
Yes two boards, Cyrus and Cyrus+. Cyrus is the MicroATX board that we saw a small teaser image of on the A-EON Facebook page and Cyrus+ is full ATX just like the current X1000.

Quote:
ChrisH wrote (on Amigans.net):
The two Cyrus boards were the first & second prototypes (the second barely being finished in time for the show).
[...]
Cyrus is planned to be a full ATX formfactor, but they MAY also do a smaller version (undecided).

So it's currently unclear whether there's going to be two boards released or just the one. Time (or Trevor) will tell.

Last edited by Boot_WB on 07-Jul-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 7-Jul-2013 22:27:50
#150 ]
Elite Member

@Mikey_C

Thanks for all the events you've organised over the years.

amigang 
Posted on 7-Jul-2013 22:36:06
#151 ]
Elite Member

had a nice time at the show, shame it was a bit quiet, I think the really good weather, Tennis and so many other events being held at the same time didn't help, but still a small show meant I had time to actually talk to most of guys. thanks to all who made it happen, and for those who missed it, Amigakit and a small amiga presents will be at Playexpo this year http://www.playexpo.net/ so please guys if you can get down to that. thanks again.

1Mouse 
Posted on 7-Jul-2013 23:28:10
#152 ]

@amigang

I was willing to travel for 2 hours and miss mens Wimbledon final and the German F1, sport be damned Amiga comes first

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

Hondo 
Posted on 8-Jul-2013 8:26:44
#153 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:
Which AmigaOS system do you use? Will you buy one of the new systems?

Why do you need to know this ? somehow this has nothing to do with my complaints over you and the other guys. But if you really need to know I intend to buy one of the Cyrus boards/machines.

I can't think of any computer in the whole world I would look more forward to than a modern 64bit dual/quad core nextgen AmigaOS machine

Hondo 
Posted on 8-Jul-2013 8:28:56
#154 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
It's a public forum for discussion. You don't want to read criticism, fine, start your own board for followers. Problem solved

Why don't you start your own forum for "non-followers" then ? - and what do you mean by "follower" ?

IanO 
Posted on 8-Jul-2013 8:43:20
#155 ]

@Mikey_C
it's not often I post on forums as I am one of those quiet Amigans who
enjoy the Amiga and the community as a hobby and am committed to keeping as much classic stuff away from landfill and supporting next generation and other flavours when economically possible. Having been a co-organiser of a UK event (MAG Bash in Coventry) the effort you have put in, although at times might seem to be unrewarded, are immense. So it is a personal thank you for firstly getting an Amiga presence at this event and for all the other shows you have been instrumental in organising in the past. If this is your last event put your feet up but carry on enjoying the Amiga for many years to come.

Hondo 
Posted on 8-Jul-2013 9:02:27
#156 ]

@Boot_WB

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the Cyrus motherboard? (we'll take the half-page of dancing bananas as a given, what else?)

My thoughts are first and mostly that YIHAAAA!! the X1000 SUCCEDED, and cleared the path for development of another next gen machine. Maybe even two!

Besides all the good stuff (64bit, multiple cores, Xena, DDR3, etc) I would still like to have some kind of super chip that'll make the barebone system a killer in graphics. I think I just want the good old custom chipset back, or something as brilliant. And I miss these things on the new boards, even though they've got Xena soldered directly on the boards. The Xena stuff doesn't cut it for me, but maybe time will prove it's worth?

Quote:
Is the pricerange mentioned attractive enough to tempt you to _finally_ invest in AmigaOS?

Of course it is. We're not talking billions here, or comparing prices directly to pc market. We are talking about a custom made PPC board made in england, with very good individual components. And this beast is made specifically for AmigaOS and even provides some amiga hardware spirit by having Xena chip onboard. I could never question the pricing just because it's not cheap. The price is the last thing I would complain over.

If I should complain over anything, I would complain over my own ability to stack the money together for such a beast!

Quote:
How do you know this hardware isn't also going to be targetted by MorphOS/AROS, in which case the pricetag is very relevent to everone here

If someone who makes an operating system for PPC computers wishes to make use of A-Eon's boards, then they should just pay the price. They get a quality product to sell to their users, and they didn't have to develop and manufacture it themselves. Which cost a lot. So if PPC is what they want to target they should just be happy even though these boards are expensive. Theres a perfectly good reason they're expensive.

Quote:
Even if it isn't why are you so protective about discussing the few hints given away so
far (processor, rough price)?

First off I'm not protective against discussing. I welcome a good discussion. But do i have to discuss with the same guys who always tries to undermine everything that AmigaOS gets be it software or hardware. Look man it's not so much about you, I'm just tired of them guys always showing up for a "good discussion" whenever something new happens, and the whole thread soon becomes infested with their anti-amigaos-campaign. That's why i react now, and faces off topic charges.

But anyway I have said enough about this now, and have politely answered your good questions.

rats 
Posted on 8-Jul-2013 9:04:51
#157 ]

@Mikey_C

This was the third event i have attended organised by you. First was the Magbash in Cov and second the VCF at Bletchley park. I have enjoyed all the events and think you are a great bloke for keeping the UK amiga scene active :D Thanks

@Everybody

Here is a video of 'Cyrus' by AmigaAng http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwhMTGzi9m4 I am editing my interviews at the moment and they will be online tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited by rats on 08-Jul-2013 at 09:06 AM.

2x A4000/030 Stock

Hondo 
Posted on 8-Jul-2013 9:09:18
#158 ]

@blizz1220

Quote:
I think you're right... My post was confrontational without a good reason ... My bad

I'm glad you admit this. It shows you take responsability, which a public forum needs to be a good place to come on a daily basis.

Now mr blizz1220 will you upgrade that username one day with perhaps X4000 ?

Last edited by Hondo on 08-Jul-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 8-Jul-2013 10:00:56
#159 ]

@Hondo

Fair enough, I'm happy for your excitement about the new board. I can understand how frustrating it must be to see good news apparently subverted with negativity, especially when you suspect that some people have 'an agenda'.

For me (I can't speak for anyone else) I see A-Eon as an independent entity similar to A-Cube. As one of the very few PPC hardware producers, their products are of great interest to users of _all_ PPC OSes.

Criticising (or discussing) hardware specs and prices from a hardware manufacturer should not be construed as criticising AmigaOS or Hyperion, or even criticising the AmigaOS 'camp' (I hate that term, pregnant as it is with implication).

Whilst they are obviously mainly targetting AmigaOS, Trevor has approached others to try to foster co-operation between A-Eon and multiple PPC-OS development teams. This is sensible, since it increases the potential ssales and therefore reduces per-unit NRE costs (and in an ideal world also increasing BQ to further reduce per-unit costs).

Apologies for the sarcasm in my previous post to you, stress from personal life is probably creeping into my postings over the last couple of weeks.

1Mouse 
Posted on 8-Jul-2013 10:37:23
#160 ]

@rats

I went to the same events and always had a good time, especially at the MAG Bash where I won the raffle prize of a Sam440 and Bletchley Park was a cool venue and introduced the world to the X1000.

Hope events in UK don't end. ANT meets are a bit far for me to travel (4 hours).

ps: Not tried the Hardware yet still figuring if I can get my A1 a bit more optimized seems a little slow booting and having keyboard and USB issues.

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle