Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 73 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pavlor

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pavlor:  2 mins ago
 Karlos:  5 mins ago
 zipper:  12 mins ago
 Kronos:  16 mins ago
 kolla:  45 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  53 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr ago
 kas1e:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  3 hrs ago
 Matt3k:  3 hrs 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Should Linux kernel power future AOS solution ?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: Should Linux kernel power future AOS solution ?
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 14:46:57
#241 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
You have CreateProc() and CreateTask()

Yes we do but they still create seperate entities. And attention must be given to varables sharing. For library functions that are task based this will fail.

We also have CreateNewProc() with NP_Child to help create a child process which is almost there but still not a thread of the task in the same context of fork() or its copy on write semantics.

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 15:10:44
#242 ]
Elite Member

@bison

Quote:
The primary thing I don't like about Firefox is how a runaway script in one tab can freeze the entire UI for minutes, or even indefinitely.

This happens to me almost everytime I use FF on my XP PC! I keep it updated as possible and cull unneeded plugins when I check. I also visit a number of sites and it always tends to freeze up when I do. These sites aren't that complicated. For example: 80's man

But it drags the entire OS down. Ctrl-Alt-Del can take minutes to respond and when it does clicking "End task" will take minutes before any action is taken. It really grinds multitasking to a halt. And I thought AmigaOS was the only "modern" system where a user running application can take the system down!

Hypex 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 15:22:58
#243 ]
Elite Member

@All

One thing I realise through all this is that the offical OS4 solution doesn't have to be used. The AROS user model can also be used. All we need is an Exec kernel wrapper API for starters. With other system components running subordinate to that. Drivers for RTG, audio or USB could be written to call the kernel directly. Like Amithlon I suppose.

Other system libraries recreated the AROS way. With GUI and DOS. Then the Workbench and programs can be cloned. Possibly even an emulation included where the native libraries would be used.

Finally, this all leads up to the easiest part. The new AmigaX API, name just made up, would be compatible with OS4 including interfaces and incliude files. So OS4 programs can compile and run out of the box.

There you go!

cdimauro 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 15:50:09
#244 ]
Elite Member

Which is something like an AROS hosted version, but more organized.

May be ARIX can succeed on this, since it doesn't seem to be simply AROS hosted version. There should be some added value to start a project like this.

Some days, and we'll see...

Tomas 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 15:55:59
#245 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele
It is kinda funny how you listed pretty much the same reasons i dislike chrome.
I guess we have gotten used to completely different browser behaviour.
I for example hate how tabs work in chrome, hate how it is not easy to search your own history/previously visited pages and so on.

I really dont get what you mean about bookmarks though, since it as simple as pressing bookmarks|bookmark this site|choose/browse and then just press new folder to set which folder you put it in.
Or if you already have the folder just click on the folder and press the bookmark this site and it should be in that folder.

But anyways.. I respect your choice and opinion.
I just wondered if you were another one of those who didnt use it because of memory leaks that was fixed years ago.

Tomas 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 16:02:53
#246 ]
Elite Member

@bison

Quote:

bison wrote:
@Tomas

Quote:
I dont really get why people still dislike firefox, considering that they have fixed all the memory leaks of the past.

The primary thing I don't like about Firefox is how a runaway script in one tab can freeze the entire UI for minutes, or even indefinitely. Sometimes it's so bad that it won't even redraw its own window. I've had this happen dozens of times on both Linux and OS X, and just two days ago on Firefox 25, so it's an unresolved problem — probably a architectual problem that is very hard to fix.

Chromium probably has issues of its own, but I don't use it enought to know what they are.

I have to admit I have seen that one when flash hangs/lags sometimes, but i never found that a problem since after a few seconds you get a popup asking you whether you want to kill the script or continue running it.
This is very rare it happens anyways and usually for me only happens if I was playing a memory intensive game and then use the browser right after quitting or tabbing out. Pressing continue/wait for flash to respond usually makes it work again once my pc has stopped swapping.

I prefer this over the issues I have with flash in chrome and opera. In chrome I for example get no vsync on video playback and on opera flash keeps crashing randomly under both linux and windows.

Tomas 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 16:05:30
#247 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@bison

Quote:
The primary thing I don't like about Firefox is how a runaway script in one tab can freeze the entire UI for minutes, or even indefinitely.

This happens to me almost everytime I use FF on my XP PC! I keep it updated as possible and cull unneeded plugins when I check. I also visit a number of sites and it always tends to freeze up when I do. These sites aren't that complicated. For example: 80's man

But it drags the entire OS down. Ctrl-Alt-Del can take minutes to respond and when it does clicking "End task" will take minutes before any action is taken. It really grinds multitasking to a halt. And I thought AmigaOS was the only "modern" system where a user running application can take the system down!

I am pretty sure you are experiencing the same issue i talked about which is caused by memory being swapped out by another application/game. It freezes until firefox and plugins have been swapped back into ram and is not really a firefox problem but instead how virtual memory/swap works. The more ram you have the less such issues you will get.

IntuitionAmiga 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 18:15:06
#248 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
One thing I realise through all this is that the offical OS4 solution doesn't have to be used.

Without "The Name (c) (r) TM" the OS4 crowd are not interested.

KimmoK 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 19:20:45
#249 ]
Elite Member

@IntuitionAmiga
"Without "The Name (c) (r) TM" the OS4 crowd are not interested."

I believe there are a lot of people like me who like to support the continuation of original AOS SW code evolution.

(and for me it does not mean that I'm not trying/using it's clones as well)

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

bison 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 23:23:47
#250 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
I suspend my machine, both because I have no boot time and I find back the environment exactly as I left it, which has a BIG value (at least for me).

I do the the same on my desktop. My laptop gets turned on and off several times a day, and every time it seems to take longer to boot...

Quote:
I don't know Tiny Core, but I've a general Linux knowledge, and I don't like it.

Tiny Core boots faster than the average Linux distribution, and the UI has less latency. But the designers are not UI design experts, to put it politely.

What is it about Linux that you don't like? You said you didn't like it, but you didn't say why...

Quote:
http://reactos.org/it It's free. It has the same Windows API & ABI. So it can use the existing Windows drivers base, which is pretty HUGE and of good quality.

I tried to try ReactOS a while back, but it wouldn't boot on my hardware. That was a while ago; I should probably try again. Anyway, yes, there are a lot of Windows drivers out there, but they're almost all binary blobs (no source code), so they would be hard to support by a third party.

bison 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 23:27:13
#251 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:

That must be specific to Firefox on XP. I've had no problems opening a terminal and killing the process on both Linux and OS X. (There's a menu-based way to do this in OS X, but I have to look it up every time, so I just use 'kill -9'.)

bison 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 23:29:31
#252 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

Quote:
In chrome I for example get no vsync on video playback and on opera flash keeps crashing randomly under both linux and windows.

I haven't seen that problem, but sometimes Chromium won't go fullscreen with F11 on HTML5 games. I have to open a new tab, press F11, and than Ctrl-Tab back to the game.

KimmoK 
Posted on 4-Nov-2013 7:03:04
#253 ]
Elite Member

Just for fun:
Gateway times & AOS5 plan etc.. http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/os5qa.html

UPDATE:
Not sure how many AMiga inspired OSs there are (tens of) but is there any co-operation between our regular Amigalikes and those others like syllable.
http://web.syllable.org/pages/index.html

Last edited by KimmoK on 04-Nov-2013 at 07:44 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 4-Nov-2013 9:53:18
#254 ]

@KimmoK

Quote:
Just for fun: Gateway times & AOS5 plan etc.. http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/os5qa.html

that was a huge missed opportunity.

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 04-Nov-2013 at 02:27 PM.

SHADES 
Posted on 4-Nov-2013 10:03:26
#255 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Makes me want to cry.
The whole AMIGA situation makes me want to cry.

It's like a movie.

Where someone, say, AMIGA, gets continually kicked to the ground, only to have someone help them up again saying, don't mind them, I'll help you and then watch as the AMIGA gets kicked in to the ground again.
But the AMIGA has a forgiving soul, and never stops "hoping" that not ALL people are the same and it gives everyone another chance to make it right, be nice to it, not use it and then leave it to die, but then it gets kicked to the ground again untill one day, it just.... dies.

Then we all look back and ctitique the movie. It was brilliantly directed, well, ok, the acting was good! really good.
I cried, the directing was average, but I really felt for AMIGA, I really bonded with it and enjoyed it's positive outlook on life. I really related. Great story.

Yet, it's not a movie is it.

Now, who's for seconds? anyone? I think there's a leg left. None of this animal goes to waste ppl.

Sorry for the outburst. I know it was in fun, and AMIGA is hardly a living breathing thing, if anything it resembles a corpse (joke!)
You never know, AROS may be able to one day, bring it back to use again for everyone. Probably why I now donate my money there.
I know my boss keeps saying to me, imagine what the world would be like by now if it wasn't WinTel that one the race!!

Last edited by SHADES on 04-Nov-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Last edited by SHADES on 04-Nov-2013 at 10:05 AM.

IntuitionAmiga 
Posted on 4-Nov-2013 12:39:08
#256 ]

@KimmoK

Quote:
@IntuitionAmiga
"Without "The Name (c) (r) TM" the OS4 crowd are not interested."

I believe there are a lot of people like me who like to support the continuation of original AOS SW code evolution.

(and for me it does not mean that I'm not trying/using it's clones as well)

People like you and I are few and far between though.

I've got a Peg 2 on the way just for using with OS4. I must be a masochist! ;)

Spirantho 
Posted on 4-Nov-2013 13:12:07
#257 ]

@IntuitionAmiga

Quote:

IntuitionAmiga wrote:
@Hypex

Quote:
One thing I realise through all this is that the offical OS4 solution doesn't have to be used.

Without "The Name (c) (r) TM" the OS4 crowd are not interested.

I don't understand why so many people say this. Why is it that just because we prefer AmigaOS 4 it has to be because of the name?

It's like saying MorphOS users only use MorphOS because they're fans of Morph. I - and many others like me - just prefer AmigaOS 4 and would do even if it was called AROS, MorphOS or RubbishOS.

(Incidentally, anyone who has not pledged for http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1961548517/all-new-adventures-of-morph-from-aardman-animation please do :) )

NovaCoder 
Posted on 4-Nov-2013 13:45:23
#258 ]

It makes a lot of sense to me :)

Use Linux for the hardware layer then bolt an Amiga WB on top of it...easy.

Choose a supported chipset and you're laughing.

IntuitionAmiga 
Posted on 4-Nov-2013 14:15:41
#259 ]

@Spirantho

Quote:
I don't understand why so many people say this. Why is it that just because we prefer AmigaOS 4 it has to be because of the name?

Perhaps because in many cases it's true. Or do you believe you speak for all OS4 fans unanimously?

I'll direct you to just one example from earlier in this thread.

Quote:
@Hondo

Hypothetical question:

If someone took over the running of Hyperion and then announced that ARIX will from now on be the official AmigaOS and OS4 no longer had the right to the name, would you support that?

That's an open question, it's not just to Hondo.

Quote:
@IntuitionAmiga

Yes I would support that - unless the new system was a BIG step backwards. (EDIT - NEW ANSWER further down the thread)

But I would of course rather have the name AmigaOS being used, so please make sure you get the name if you take over it all

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38299&forum=14&start=60&viewmode=flat&order=0#720114

Hondo is far from being alone in this view. You personally might not care about the name but the well known meme of "but it t3h REAL!!" didn't come out of nowhere.

IntuitionAmiga 
Posted on 4-Nov-2013 14:21:27
#260 ]

@NovaCoder

Quote:
It makes a lot of sense to me :)

Use Linux for the hardware layer then bolt an Amiga WB on top of it...easy.

Choose a supported chipset and you're laughing.

If only Amithlon hadn't been suffocated at birth there would have been no need for all this reinventing the wheel in three different flavours we've had to put up with over the years. :(

@umisef if you are reading this.

Assuming there's a secret backup of the Amithlon source that you didn't/forget to/couldn't bring yourself to delete; how much would you want in cold hard cash to release it all under the AROS license? ;)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle