Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 71 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  23 mins ago
 Kronos:  50 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 Kromjuice:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 41 mins ago
 ggw:  4 hrs 7 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 10 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 16 mins ago
 nikosidis:  7 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Should Linux kernel power future AOS solution ?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hondo 
Re: Should Linux kernel power future AOS solution ?
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 13:10:09
#81 ]

@IntuitionAmiga

Game mode on:
But prepare for a hostile takeover where you will meet severe resistance (snipers, machineguns, suicide bombers, etc) from former owners and associates, devs, etc. - I'm quite sure some of them would rather die first, than hand over their boing balls to a bunch of wannabees.

And honestly who can blame them...after all AmigaOS is quite a GREAT system with a LONG and proud heritage. I would of course expect them to defend it with their lives
Game mode off:

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 13:16:37
#82 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

sounds like a game design for a new ego-shooter. Working title "The true amigans defending the heritage"

Hondo 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 13:17:40
#83 ]

@IntuitionAmiga

Quote:
If someone took over the running of Hyperion and then announced that ARIX will from now on be the official AmigaOS and OS4 no longer had the right to the name, would you support that? That's an open question, it's not just to Hondo.

Actually this is a very hard question for which I think I may change my former stand on.

No I would not blindly follow a new owner even if he had the right to the name AmigaOS - unless he had a system that seriously KICKED BUTT compared to the real AmigaOS. If that was the case then I would stick with them.

BUT if that was not the case, and I didn't like the new system, then I would follow the original AmigaOS and follow the code whereever it would go - even if it had to change name to donald duck operating system. I would still feel at home there, because i knew it was the same code i had followed for years.

So yes I have changed my answer (after understanding your question better)

Hondo 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 13:20:23
#84 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:
sounds like a game design for a new ego-shooter. Working title "The true amigans defending the heritage"

wawa 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 14:10:09
#85 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

Quote:
I support AOS - but my true concern is the WHOLE amiga scene in general

Your posting history doesnt indicate that.

wawa 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 14:21:27
#86 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

Quote:
- call me a namefollower but I don't think it's bad to hang on to a name.

If you accept all that is associated with it under any condition, religiously believe, then ist okay. but then dont make any demands.

Quote:
But again all of this doesn't matter because I don't have a clue about Hyperion's plans.

perhaps this is what triggers these religiös beliefs: mystery.

terminills 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 14:27:34
#87 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Hondo

Hrmmm I don't know I guess it's how it's implemented.

What if the linux kernel was the heart of the OS and you never even knew it was there?

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Hypex 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 15:22:14
#88 ]
Elite Member

@IntuitionAmiga

Quote:
What do you think an A1, a SAM, a Pegasos or an X1000 is?

Not much exciting.

Quote:
They are nothing but standard PC motherboards using standard PC components with a different CPU.

Yes, I know that, and have known for years. But the "BIOS" used is sub-standard. This is what irks me about these machhines. The hardware is nothing special. There is all this focus on the OS and nothing Amiga about the hardware, so it seems pointless to produce custom boards without custom chips.

There was a decision to load Kickstart off disk, which is okay, but it wasn't done the Amiga way. An A1000 loaded Kickstart off a floppy while presenting a disk screen. The A1 and above didn't even have that, what you got was a PC looking screen with some BIOS, it was backwards. Even an old Mac would be better!

I own two of these NG models but know I will be disappointed as they don't act like an Amiga when turned on. A few minutes later they may look like on screen.

Last edited by Hypex on 23-Oct-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 15:48:53
#89 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:
No offense guy, but until you start using Amithlon a person cant really appreciate it properly

I've used it. The guy who wrote it went to my Amiga clubs. We found the PC destroyed Amiga RDBs. Or Windows, BIOS or something. And to me the 68040 resets looked a bit fake. And the early startup screen even faker.

Quote:
Unlike UAE its not really an amiga emulator, but rather software to run AOS on a pcs hardware directly.

But by AOS you don't really mean AmigaOS but Amithlon customised drivers and programs? As I wouldn''t call an OS kernel and programs running emulated as running directly on the hardware.

Quote:
I just recently upgraded (well, more or less replaced) my Amithlon box to a 4.1ghz core2duo system

Is there a modern Amithlon downloadable since the kernel update project and open sourcing? People are still keen on it at my club but keep looking for old AMD PCs to run it on. Surely we are past this now? Given you setup a 4.1GHz Amithlon box?

Quote:
As for the question "who wants to have to reboot into another OS?", what makes you think Amithlon users actually do this? I personally use a dedicated machine for Amithlon. Just because a person has an x86 machine doesn't mean they dual boot any more than any other architecture.

What makes me think this is not specific to Amithlon users but the last ten years anyone with an interest in an NG Amiga, be that an A1 or an x86 Amiga box like your Amithlon system, has not wanted another machine to add to their desktop. They wanted to use the machine they already have. I see people talk about lack of space. And so I came across a lot who didn't need another machine but the ability to parallel install another OS was a perfect solution.

Laptops are also becoming the one and only main machine. And so a laptop person is unlikely to just use Amithlon. Unless Firefox has been ported to it!

Quote:
P.s. freaking phone.... trouble editing above post so continued it here instead

I knew it wasnn't only me who hated small fake keyboards. Where's the feel?

Last edited by Hypex on 24-Oct-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Last edited by Hypex on 23-Oct-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Arko 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 16:06:52
#90 ]

@Hondo

Quote:

Hondo wrote:

No I would not blindly follow a new owner even if he had the right to the name AmigaOS - unless he had a system that seriously KICKED BUTT compared to the real AmigaOS.

If that was the case then I would stick with them.

IMR you do not have an AOS4 system.
AW.net

So do you use AOS3 and if yes, what OS specific tasks are you using it for?

Last edited by Arko on 23-Oct-2013 at 05:08 PM.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Jose 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 16:18:37
#91 ]
Cult Member

Of course not! Why write software for a warper instead of a mature kernel ? A kernel warper would also lower performance, besides, after all the trouble and spend time..

José

Jose 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 16:20:05
#92 ]
Cult Member

@Jose

Well, I guess it could be done like OSX has done it, but I still think it would lose a bit of it's identity...

José

umisef 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 16:29:05
#93 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
We found the PC destroyed Amiga RDBs. Or Windows, BIOS or something.

Windows 9x. And I believe you also found that starting Amithlon would silently repair the RDB :)

Quote:
And to me the 68040 resets looked a bit fake.

Huh? How can a reset look fake?

Quote:
And the early startup screen even faker.

I believe you are "wrong" about that --- the early startup screen is, in fact, as un-fake as they come. It's actually drawn by an (emulated) blitter, using all the original routines (this emulated blitter gets deactivated fairly soon in the boot process, because it really doesn't fit with the rest of the system)

Had I known how much of a pain that would turn out to be, I would have taken the time to implement my own startup menu, using native code and talking directly to the real gfx memory. But at first, it looked like it would be easy, just a few hours. And it was "just a few hours more" for quite a while....

Hondo 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 17:54:41
#94 ]

@Arko

Quote:
IMR you do not have an AOS4 system. AW.net So do you use AOS3 and if yes, what OS specific tasks are you using it for?

No I don't have an AOS4 system, but I'm sure it's a great system because of

1 - it's build from Workbench 3.1 which I used heavily at the time

2. A LOT of work have been put into it the last many years

3. the reviews and youtube videos tells me it's fast and fun

So I intend to buy a OS4 system the minut i can afford it. I don't use a 3.1 system anymore, and have only used PC and Android for my computing needs the last 15 years.

The reason i ask about Linux as an AOS core in the future is only because of pure desire and interest for AOS to thrive and expand it's userbase/applications. And because I think it's a good discussion.

But I'll buy it no matter what they choose to do the next years. I'll buy it because I can see how much fun is going on, and how much the AOS scene is moving right now.

It looks like a lot of fun, and I want to be a part of it as soon as I can

I'll make room for it on my desk...you count on that!

Hondo 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 17:56:26
#95 ]

@terminills

Quote:
What if the linux kernel was the heart of the OS and you never even knew it was there?

Wouldn't bother me as long as the system was responsive and fast.

Arko 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 20:14:31
#96 ]

@Hondo

No I don't have an AOS4 system, but I'm sure it's a great system because of

>1 - it's build from Workbench 3.1 which I used heavily at the time

You used a system heavily long time ago, a lot of things changed since this time. AOS3 was a nice system on an underpowered cheap hardware. I don't know what you used it for, but a lot of things have changed since this time.

Honestly, no AmigaOID system can compete with a 10 years old WindowsXP.

>2. A LOT of work have been put into it the last many years

Much more work has been put into other systems.

>3. the reviews and youtube videos tells me it's fast and fun

Most reviews where written by fans, measuring system speed could be done by measuring file access speed, network speed and other values. The priority of work done by Hyperion aimed for other parameters.

And all AmigaOIDs have driver problems making them slower than other system on equal rated hardware.

There where a lot of comparisons between AmigaOID OSes, the OS you preferred is not the fastest under the AmigaOIDs and this was not caused by available hardware.

---

I could express the state of AOS4 in some simple words, but it would be understood as flaming, trolling and I would risk another ban.

Last edited by Arko on 23-Oct-2013 at 08:16 PM.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

michalsc 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 20:20:46
#97 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Hypex

Quote:
Yes, I know that, and have known for years. But the "BIOS" used is sub-standard. This is what irks me about these machhines. The hardware is nothing special.

How about switching to x86 camp and using a motherboard with EFI instead of BIOS? ;)

bison 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 20:40:03
#98 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
Now to stay on topic here,

Hark who's talkin'!

Quote:
I still think for the PPC side of things FreeBSD would be the way to go.

The primary benefit of moving to Linux (or BSD) would be to get off of PPC and onto commodity hardware. Another OS for hardware that barely exists? That seems futile to me.

Last edited by bison on 23-Oct-2013 at 08:47 PM.

bison 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 20:57:18
#99 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
The hardware is nothing special. There is all this focus on the OS and nothing Amiga about the hardware, so it seems pointless to produce custom boards without custom chips.

I'm not sure the hardware has to be special anymore — even the cheap stuff is fast and capable. It's not like back in the day when there were things you couldn't do without an Amiga. That window has closed.

But software — it's still mostly pretty bad, so there's real room for improvement in that area.

bison 
Posted on 23-Oct-2013 21:03:24
#100 ]
Elite Member

@michalsc

Quote:
How about switching to x86 camp and using a motherboard with EFI instead of BIOS?

I'd start with Linux or NetBSD on a PC and work top-down, identifying and fixing the top five things that aren't very Amiga-like. The problem with working bottom-up is that you're always five years away from having competitive application software.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle