Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
28 crawler(s) on-line.
 64 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 A1200:  14 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  15 mins ago
 Gunnar:  26 mins ago
 jap:  28 mins ago
 amigakit:  32 mins ago
 kolla:  34 mins ago
 matthey:  35 mins ago
 Lou:  47 mins ago
 jPV:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 Vidar:  1 hr 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Amiga Laptop
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
mbrantley 
Re: Amiga Laptop
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 5:41:21
#141 ]
Cult Member

@billt

A pair of cans = headphones.

Profile     Report this post  
tonyw 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 7:46:13
#142 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Bill, I appreciate your desires and I understand the argument behind them. If I were designing a machine for myself, then I would also try to cram as much into it as I could.

But, to make a machine saleable, at a reasonable cost, it has to be simple and cheap to build (first priority). If we try to add this and that upgrade, we end up with another Boxer, the design that kept on expanding until it was no longer possible to make.

I agree that we would not be able to watch Blu-Ray disks. But then, with the licensing requirements for Blu-Ray, we will NEVER be able to watch them on an Amiga, so there is no point in making provision for them. DVDs we can do now - I watch DVDs on my Sam 440 through an external USB drive. Perhaps a slim DVD drive could be added to the case, but I would not insist on it if I were the designer.

What I would insist on is a nice row of USB ports on the back.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

TheDaddy 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 8:42:36
#143 ]
Elite Member

How good is the onboard graphics card on the SAM460?

Has anyone tried running any kind of game on it? Emulators (Mame, Vice)?

Is a 9200 power hungry?
My 6570 2GB PCI-Express eats 44W.

I think that the DVD-RW should be left out. You can have USB sticks to carry stuff around with you and if you need to install anything you do it at home, before adventuring out.

Speakers should be included.

And I agree with tonyw, a few extra USB ports.

olegil 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 10:36:20
#144 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

You can even get external USB-based DVD drives, so that's not a problem.

I don't think a 9200 draws more than 10W, but that's already 1 extra li-ion cell per hour of battery use

Actually, that's fine but it's still not much of a "laptop" with all the extras you need.

Edit: And is it an actual noticable upgrade compared to the onboard video?
Edit2: Apparently yes it is, but only for 3D stuff. I think this is an excellent time to think about docking station (as in, PCIe out to a docking connector).

Last edited by olegil on 25-Nov-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Last edited by olegil on 25-Nov-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 11:07:08
#145 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

The on board graphics card does not have Composition (and 3D), this is some thing I'm going to miss a lot, but considering this some thing your going to take whit you, I think we need to accept that things are not perfect whit the Sam460.

Composition make it possible to draw images on top of other images, whit out having to do it on the CPU, and it also does scaling and rotation, and stretching. It is what some of new games uses, and its some thing I'm going to use a lot more in future 2D projects (Games and programs).

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 11:10:48
#146 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

It does not make a lot of sense whit CDROM and blue rays, considering that you can probably boot of USB stick, or flash card reader.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 11:33:47
#147 ]
Elite Member

@billt

considering new mother boards coming are to big to design around, I think the Sam460 is the best option until Acube or AEON make a Mini ITX or Nano ITX, or else they might do a laptop motherboard its going to be lot more expensive considering your can't use the motherboard in normal computer ceasing.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/VIA_Mini-ITX_Form_Factor_Comparison.jpg

What Makes the Sam460 great for this project.

* Onboard graphic card.
* It has GPIO (this nice if want to connect some electronics)
* It has LVDS connector, so we can connect flat screens.

The problem whit the Sam460 is thats its a bit big, its going to take a lot of room inside a the laptop casing, also the angel of the connectors (SATA and PSU) are 90' degrees strait up, not flat.

The nice thing is that power connector and the SATA connector is on the edge, so it should be easy to replace, but also there is risk of damage if you do.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 11:50:18
#148 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

I think we should forget the internal DVD drive, just use USB sticks.

I wonder if the M9 chip on the SAM440 is more powerful than the onboard chip on the SAM460, it should be...in that case a SAM440 would be better to use although the memory slot is vertical...

Then it's back to the 460 with SSD, some extra USB ports and a 9200 or maybe not.

Total watts required I think = 30W?

Last edited by TheDaddy on 25-Nov-2013 at 11:54 AM.

olegil 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 12:03:23
#149 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Don't worry about connectors, those can be replaced.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

olegil 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 12:07:39
#150 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

The memory slot is 100% of the reason to use the 460. This is not something you can easily change.

For extra USB, a USB hub is easy enough to integrate, just buy one and pop the PCB out. External power is no problem if the PicoPSU can supply the required voltage, which is usually not a problem.

Yssing 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 12:12:54
#151 ]

@olegil

I also think that most cards c.an be replaced with a mini .
My old laptop had a radeon4550 mini pci-e graphics card

olegil 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 13:00:25
#152 ]
Elite Member

@Yssing

mini pcie graphics card? Not bloody likely. MXM I can believe.

yoodoo2 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 14:01:00
#153 ]

My own thought is that the 440ep, with on-board graphics is powerful enough for a portable -especially for casual use or development.

@TheDaddy

I've seen your pm - I'll get back to you tonight (UK time).

We ran 5 Recursion Computer Fairs before hitting the exit condition

yoodoo2 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 14:14:26
#154 ]

@yoodoo2

Hmm, just had a quick look at ACube's site, LVDS connector was a possible option.

Custom run of 50 boards, with on-board RAM and LVDS?

It would still make a full "new" laptop about £800......

We ran 5 Recursion Computer Fairs before hitting the exit condition

billt 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 15:38:38
#155 ]
Elite Member

@tonyw

Quote:
If we try to add this and that upgrade, we end up with another Boxer, the design that kept on expanding until it was no longer possible to make.

And that is a danger, yes. My feature/spec wishlist has been stable for a few years now. Previous major revisions were due to chip non-availability events, such as when PA Semi and then Uli Electronics both vanished. The SDXC chip I was interested in a year ago has since vanished, another vendor declined NDA for documentation due to expected low volumes (and I didn't even say the 'A' word), but there is potential for a new chip. The chips may change here, but SDXC remains a static goal. Changing of the chips isn't a huge concern at this point since (in my case) no particular actual design effort (schematic, PCB) has occurred on that (or just about any other) feature to be lost or redone. In some cases, new chips becoming available have made it easier to get to my static feature set, and most likely make for a reduction in overall power consumption to boot. It's certainly an interesting thought-problem to ponder while I build my education toward this and other project ideas. Suddenly I find myself wishnig I could remember some of that fancy math from bachelor degree studies. :)

billt 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 15:51:47
#156 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
considering new mother boards coming are to big to design around, I think the Sam460 is the best option until Acube or AEON make a Mini ITX or Nano ITX, or else they might do a laptop motherboard its going to be lot more expensive considering your can't use the motherboard in normal computer ceasing.

Indeed. Though some items on MiniITX seem problematic, such as desktop memory modules perpendicular to motherboard, as I would expect such a mini-Cyrus might have been. (I don't remember what the prototype pictures actually had though)

My motherboard philosopphy for a long time focused on modular design, in particular the ComExpress standard. But real-live PC laptops didn't seem like that could fit, as this standard stacks PCBs in parallel to each other, and becomes too "tall". I haven't sorted out how to deal with that within a modern laptop shell. And thus my policy eventually was forced to change to a modular desktop (which I still think is a great idea, do the CPU/southbridge/memory design once, then motherboard is mostly wiring up connectors) and then any laptop motherboard is a fully custom item to it's intended casing.

I don't demand that things must be this way. but if I was doing a real design myself, this is how I'd be doing it. I do very much look forward to whatever anyone can actually make real.

Zylesea 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 16:02:26
#157 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

I did some work on that matter with my Efika based picture frame a few years ago (which was a proof of concept work for a later netbook or tablet later on based on the once announced 512x device by Genesi).
The Radeon 9250SE I used for that work draws not too much power (somewhat between 8 and 15W). Haven't measured it alone. The Efika frame takes 30 W on average and 34W on maximum with mechanical 2.5" drive and 10" display (I did that years ago, displays advanced a lot since then).
The Sam460 itself takes a bit more than the Efika, but a modern display and an SSD should reduce the uptake quite significantly. If no Radeon gets added, but the onboard video chip gets used I could imagine that average to idle load could work with about 20W-25W uptake.

More about my Efika picture frame: http://via.i-networx.de/eframe/eframe.htm and http://via.i-networx.de/bench_en.html#uptake

Rob 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 16:33:17
#158 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

That looks rather nice.

Arko 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 16:42:07
#159 ]

@The_Daddy

Find out what people want and really like to pay, do they just want a portable Amigaoid:
- X500 + TFT in a clamshell design.
- TFT+Mainboard in one case full PCI Slots + external keyboard, exterrnal mouse

Or are the priorities reall fixed to highly mobile device with batteries ...

Always keep in mind most AmigaNG OSes still don't support power management, shutdown or sleep modes.

And I have my doubt people will pay for battery powered PSU, when it can't run more than 30 minutes without recharging.

There are differnce between people searching for a compact portable desktop computers and people buying a netbook.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-Nov-2013 19:27:16
#160 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Quote:
Always keep in mind most AmigaNG OSes still don't support power management, shutdown or sleep modes.

Yes but if we can somehow read the battery level we can create a alarm to inform the user that battery is low, just bring wb to front and display a big alert box.

http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=utility/shell/poff.lha

"poff" can turn off the computer if battery is too low, to prevent power failure.
It's relatively easy to connect something to the GPIO pins, or connect something to the COM port.

I don't know how easy to do some card connected to the USB

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle