Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 78 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

AMIGASYSTEM

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AMIGASYSTEM:  4 mins ago
 Hypex:  21 mins ago
 utri007:  30 mins ago
 Karlos:  32 mins ago
 Frank:  33 mins ago
 OlafS25:  33 mins ago
 kolla:  46 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Amiga Laptop
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
olegil 
Re: Amiga Laptop
Posted on 27-Nov-2013 9:17:06
#181 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse

I doubt it.

You'll need both dremel and soldering skills for that sort of project, though. Which I have, I just lack the time-allocation skill.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Profile     Report this post  
Arko 
Posted on 27-Nov-2013 9:24:32
#182 ]

@1Mouse

Quote:

Has anyone on here ever put a mini itx mobo pc/amiga or other and put them in a laptop case before?

No, It could be difficult getting the adapters for the monitor.
AFAIK some Notebooks/Laptops are usinf an I2C bus for mouse and battery state, I don't think there is an AOS4 support.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

olegil 
Posted on 27-Nov-2013 9:39:26
#183 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Now you're just constructing problems. 3 minutes on ebay and you have the adapter for your display panel. 4 minutes of software on a GPIO or parallell port interface and you have an I2C interface.

Or even better, use the I2C interface in the VGA plug, unless there are address conflicts.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Arko 
Posted on 27-Nov-2013 15:15:23
#184 ]

@olegil

Quote:

olegil wrote:

4 minutes of software on a GPIO or parallell port interface and you have an I2C interface.
Or even better, use the I2C interface in the VGA plug, unless there are address conflicts.

LOL ! The Sam440 & Sam460 have I2C, but no drivers.

Not hardware, software is the problem.

If not you woul just install your OS on a used Mac PPC Laptop

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

geit 
Posted on 27-Nov-2013 15:25:39
#185 ]

And at the end you have spend tons of money for an system, that still needs an external power supply to work.

Or if you inserted a battery it will run a few minutes before bleeding out as there is no power management of any kind and the boards are not optimized for low power consumption.

And of course you cannot flx anywhere with it, as during checking any security officer wants to take your "laptop" appart, as it looks more like a selfmade bomb, than a computer. :D

Getting an existing laptop and adapting the OS is the only way to do it right and only if you support the complete hardware to reduce power consumption.

Geit

Last edited by geit on 27-Nov-2013 at 03:26 PM.

yoodoo2 
Posted on 27-Nov-2013 19:07:31
#186 ]

@geit

Quote:
Or if you inserted a battery it will run a few minutes before bleeding out as there is no power management of any kind and the boards are not optimized for low power consumption.

I get 2.5 hours from my external laptop battery powering a Sam440ep and large 17" LCD.

Yes, it cuts out without any warning, which can't be healthy, but as I know how long it lasts, it's not too bad.

We ran 5 Recursion Computer Fairs before hitting the exit condition

billt 
Posted on 27-Nov-2013 21:22:12
#187 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Quote:

My philosophy has been to make hardware first, then work on drivers. Some people get in big chicken-egg debates, why make hardware that has X if there are no drivers for X / who/how make drivers for Y if no Y in hardware things. I've chosen the egg. Or is it the chicken? I'm not sure which is which I guess, but I've picked one of them to come first. :) I think it's harder to do the other way around, waiting until drivers work before providing the hardware for them.

So, it sounds like there is I2C hardware, which is good news.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 27-Nov-2013 21:26:08
#188 ]
Elite Member

@yoodoo2

So basically if know how many minutes you have left, you know the state of the battery.
What we do not know is how long the battery has been charged, and if full or half full when you start using your computer.

This requires some simple electronics, shift register chip and counter, and clock signal.

This gives an idea of the battery state, not perfect.

If we want that we most know correct time left, we will need to know the real amp usage.

http://vsagar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/screen41.png

cha05e90 
Posted on 27-Nov-2013 21:30:31
#189 ]

@Arko

Quote:

Are you sure? (hint: i2c.resource)

cha05e90 
Posted on 27-Nov-2013 21:32:16
#190 ]

@geit

Quote:
Getting an existing laptop and adapting the OS is the only way to do it right

Far too easy.

billt 
Posted on 27-Nov-2013 22:35:24
#191 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
Getting an existing laptop and adapting the OS is the only way to do it right

I think that's the easiest way to get something done, but I do not agree that it is the only way to get it right.

Note that I bought my iBook G4 way back when in the hopes of that happening.

McEwen Inc. set up an OS4 licensing email contact that they completely ignored to my knowledge, and at that time a license form Amiga Inc. as well as from Hyperion was required. Kind of a sucky situation to find happening. At least we're past that problem. I was excited when news of Moana came out, and very disappointed to say goodbye to that. I wish they'd have revived that project at some point. PPC Linux and MOS and maybe *BSD or others have proven that the lack of chipset documentation from the "vendor" (ie. Apple in some cases) is not a solvable problem. And in my opinion, the effort/hassle to figure things out and make it work are likely less than the effort/hassle to fund/design/test/manufacture special hardware. The netbook had similar advantage in that it was already designed, tested and set up for manufacturing for other reasons, and sounded like documentation was less of a problem than for AppleBooks. Eh, c'est la vie.

Now, more directly to the topic at hand... In addition to the book I mentioned previously:

1625-2008 - IEEE Standard for Rechargeable Batteries for Multi-Cell Mobile Computing Devices

Guide to the Safe Use of Secondary Lithium Ion Batteries in Notebook-type Personal Computers

Litium Ion are great energy sources if you are careful with them. They are fires and/or explosions if you are not. Let's not be careless. :)

billt 
Posted on 27-Nov-2013 22:43:38
#192 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Quote:
I just lack the time-allocation skill.

The most elusive one of all for more than just yourself...

olegil 
Posted on 28-Nov-2013 9:11:03
#193 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Maybe you need to start reading and not just writing. I already covered this. All you need is an ADC to read the voltage, from the voltage you know the state of charge. That is, if you're able to do a simple calculation, which I hope you are if you are a Sam460.

olegil 
Posted on 28-Nov-2013 9:17:41
#194 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Still constructing problems, eh?

Unfortunately my statement is still true:
4 minutes of software on a GPIO or parallell port interface and you have an I2C interface.

Using the fpga resource from Acube it should be NO more than 4 minutes. Oh, and to make it easier to write the software, add two transistors. When writing, data needs to be inverted (as the transistors invert). Each I2C line (SCL and SDA) get connected to an input and through a transistor to an output.

Last edited by olegil on 28-Nov-2013 at 09:25 AM.

1Mouse 
Posted on 28-Nov-2013 11:11:27
#195 ]

@yoodoo2

Would love to see how your portable 440ep construction is coming along

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

Arko 
Posted on 28-Nov-2013 11:19:23
#196 ]

@olegil

Quote:

olegil wrote:
@Arko

Still constructing problems, eh?

Me? No, it's not me searching for a Laptop

Quote:

Unfortunately my statement is still true:

But no drivers for AOS4 and you don't need hardware because Sam440 and Sam460 already have I2C.

Quote:

Using the fpga resource from Acube it should be NO more than 4 minutes.

But no drivers for AOS4 and you don't need the FPGA ressource because Sam440 and Sam460 already have I2C.

Quote:

Oh, and to make it easier to write the software, add two transistors.

But no drivers for AOS4 and you don't need extra transistors because Sam440 and Sam460 already have I2C.

Quote:

When writing, data needs to be inverted (as the transistors invert). Each I2C line (SCL and SDA) get connected to an input and through a transistor to an output.

But no drivers for AOS4 and you don't need extra transistors because Sam440 and Sam460 already have I2C.

Look here:
Quote:

For the specific model of CPU mounted on the Sam board, the 440EP, we have the following integrated peripherals:

DDR memory controller
PCI controller
USB 1.1 host and USB 2.0 device controller
2 Ethernet 10/100 ports
Up to 4 serial ports
2 I2C interfaces
SPI interface
64 pins for General Purpose I/O

http://www.acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=hardware&pid=1

So much interfaces in hardware officially supported by the OS, but no drivers.

And I could only reapeat What I have written under http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38301&start=180&post_id=723420&order=0&viewmode=flat&pid=0&forum=33#723367

Quote:

AFAIK some Notebooks/Laptops are using an I2C bus for mouse and battery state, I don't think there is an AOS4 support.
(typo corrected)

Last edited by Arko on 28-Nov-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Last edited by Arko on 28-Nov-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Last edited by Arko on 28-Nov-2013 at 11:21 AM.

olegil 
Posted on 28-Nov-2013 11:26:54
#197 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

What "driver" are you talking about?

When I talk to I2C devices I do not use a "driver", I just send and receive bytes.

Last edited by olegil on 28-Nov-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Arko 
Posted on 28-Nov-2013 11:53:18
#198 ]

@olegil

Quote:

olegil wrote:
@Arko

What "driver" are you talking about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_driver

And aspecially a driver for mouse and batterie and low lever drivers for an OS API and ressource sharing via OS.

Quote:
When I talk to I2C devices I do not use a "driver", I just send and receive bytes.

You can still print by sending some bytes to a paralell port but this does not solve the driver problems for printers.

Last edited by Arko on 28-Nov-2013 at 11:55 AM.

olegil 
Posted on 28-Nov-2013 12:26:56
#199 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Well, I'm still not impressed. Noone here said anything about using I2C mice and keyboards, only battery monitoring. And the first step in this is a docky that displays battery level. The battery (as in, the final assembly, not necessarily the cells themselves) shuts itself off if the voltage across it becomes too low or too high.

But maybe you are of the opinion that software is impossible?

yoodoo2 
Posted on 28-Nov-2013 12:55:39
#200 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
So basically if know how many minutes you have left, you know the state of the battery. What we do not know is how long the battery has been charged, and if full or half full when you start using your computer.

My battery has four little lights: 25% each or about 35 minutes per light.

I'm going to write a little commodity that pops up on boot, asking me if I'm running off battery. It will then keep track of the minutes elapsed and pop up a warning after 2 hours.

The plan is to write it on the train next week sometime...

...hopefully in under 2.5 hours

We ran 5 Recursion Computer Fairs before hitting the exit condition

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle