Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 88 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kriz:  7 mins ago
 OneOfNine:  7 mins ago
 amigang:  15 mins ago
 danwood:  23 mins ago
 kolla:  51 mins ago
 Templario:  1 hr ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 K-L:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Amiga Laptop
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
tonyw 
Re: Amiga Laptop
Posted on 2-Dec-2013 20:36:02
#241 ]
Elite Member

@utri007

Agreed, it should fit (physically). What worries me about an old case like this - I have a couple of old StinkPads here - is that the display interface may be unusable, since it's old and may be not today's standards.

I know nothing about display interfaces, hence the worry.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Profile     Report this post  
KimmoK 
Posted on 2-Dec-2013 20:41:48
#242 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

IMHO, it's pretty futile to build Pentium200Mhz caliber laptops in y2013.
x86 netbook would be insanely much nicer for A*ROS.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

1Mouse 
Posted on 2-Dec-2013 20:54:23
#243 ]

@utri007

Just checked specs on the motherboard, and the board in the 380Z is smaller than a Sam440 so I think the case would be too small unfortunately.

Physical Measurements
The IBM ThinkPad 380Z was 233.0 millimeters, or 9.2 inches, long, 300.0 millimeters, or 11.8 inches, wide and 62.0 millimeters, or 2.4 inches high. The notebook weighed 3.3 kilograms, or 7.2 pounds, battery and hard disc drive included.

http://www.ehow.com/list_7438158_thinkpad-380z-specifications.html

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

utri007 
Posted on 2-Dec-2013 21:51:14
#244 ]

@1Mouse

Sam 440ep flex is 21cmx17cm and 440ep is 17cmx17cm, so size is not a problem

Arko 
Posted on 2-Dec-2013 21:55:21
#245 ]

@KimmoK

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:
@Arko

IMHO, it's pretty futile to build Pentium200Mhz caliber laptops in y2013.

The Thinkpad was not posted by me.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

PR 
Posted on 2-Dec-2013 23:16:19
#246 ]

@The Daddy

Keep it comming, father of 1+3 years old Amiga girls makes me running;)

Everything else: Like Petro Tzyschenko (Sorry about the spelling..) told me in a Saku meeting years ago when I asked if there is comming a new AAA-system for the graphics and others.

"You are putting me in the corner" - He Said. There was only the most embarrasing dance: Amiga, Back for the future.

I think He was payed well to get himself in that position. It's like Nokia went down the drain and somebody just had to do the PR. Hyperion had the consept but actually the mb was underpowered piece of crap. I hope it was a rehersal for the better One-

Make a poll How many over here would buy a good OS4 powered with the killer TimberWolf and the Office Suite. Count me in so there is One person allready;)

I think the laptop is just around the corner. (Sorry Petro, I still fancy Your dance moves;) The chicks were nice.

Best Regs For Trevor, I just cannot be without liking this ultimate Amigalover. Please make us happy. You can see there is a real marketplace for this laptop. Make it happen in a reasonable tag. PR will be surely One of the AmigaLapOne -customers. If I'd had the talent there would be a better one than a suitcaise;)

Just around the corner;)

I hope it happens in my lifetime. Keep the technics (and the spirit) going!

PROne

Last edited by PR on 02-Dec-2013 at 11:35 PM.

olegil 
Posted on 3-Dec-2013 8:52:07
#247 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

If you want an x86 laptop you can just go out and buy one. Thank you, and don't let the thread hit you on the way out

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

olegil 
Posted on 3-Dec-2013 8:55:29
#248 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse

I for one was always talking laptop case, just finding the right one. It needs to be at least 14, maybe even 15, inch and not the thinnest of the thin.

TheDaddy is talking designing a case from the ground up to fit a Sam, while someone else is talking about his suitcase Amiga.

I wish we would discuss these things in different threads

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

olegil 
Posted on 3-Dec-2013 8:59:20
#249 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

I only looked at the second link there, (the rpi-to-go) and that one is pretty awesomely executed even though I don't agree with the user requirement specification

A portable minimig can be done much the same way, btw.

I really wonder why noone has made a portable minimig yet.

1Mouse 
Posted on 3-Dec-2013 12:10:40
#250 ]

@olegil

I for one was thinking of an Amiga laptop in an existing laptop case rather than a suitcase or a new case.

I hoped one of my old laptop cases would do the trick, I have 5 and I think they are all 15" screen size. I think the main problem with the cases I have would be the depth.

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

olegil 
Posted on 3-Dec-2013 12:43:27
#251 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse

Any chance you could pop some open and give us some measurements inside? I highly doubt you'll fit an optical drive AND a motherboard, so remove the optical drive while measuring.

I have a T41 (14 inch) here and the rectangular space inside with no HD and no CDRW is 22x17cm. Plus space on both sides of the fan and in the battery connector area.

A mini-ITX should fit and leave space around for extras, but REALLY not a lot
I wanted to try a mini-ITX board in here but had no time for dropping by my antique partner in crime yet. Allthough, just placing the MPC5121e ITX eval board in there looks promising. Might need to replace a few capacitors on the bottom of the board with low-profile versions, but all in all not too bad. Of course, the MPC5121e is so low consumption that I probably wouldn't even need a fan. But it doesn't run AOS in any form, so not THAT nice either.

Items needed for LVDS-capable board:
keyboard/trackpad adapter
battery management (charger/protection)
regulators, picopsu style
cooling with a sintered heatpipe, CPU/chipset end and fan end, plus a fan to go with it (making the mechanics for the cooling is where I hoped someone like TheDaddy would help us with, but if he's too busy learning electronics then that's no good for me ).

That's about it, really. The connectors need to be replaced with cables to bring them out to the edge of the laptop (some might be ok to just plug in an extension cable), and the ATX power connector needs to be replaced with an angled version.

If I had a wish-list for anyone making the next mini-ITX Amiga board, it would be:
No tall components on the backside.
Laptop RAM (or discrete).
Make DC input an option, so we don't need the PicoPSU. 12-25V would be ideal. Basically, just make 12V in from the PSU your only requirement.
CPU and other hot components accessible by heat-pipe from one side (so middle of the board isn't the ideal place).

That's it, really. The first two are the most important, of course.

Edit: oh, and my own MPC5121e design is only 7x17cm, so you could fit several in there. It doesn't have LVDS, only an 18 bit parallell video out, so would need to add that. And I never put USB on in eiter. There's I2C, SPI and a bunch of RS232/422 ports, though And CF.

Last edited by olegil on 03-Dec-2013 at 12:48 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 3-Dec-2013 13:45:14
#252 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

The 1122 measures AC current up to 30 Amps and DC Current from -30Amps to +30Amps. Dual outputs allow the user to measure both the AC and DC components of complex current waveforms separately.

http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?product_id=1122

http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=5326

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/733

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Dec-2013 at 01:48 PM.

olegil 
Posted on 3-Dec-2013 14:02:18
#253 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

The T41 uses the ADP3806-12.5 as battery charger. The charge/discharge signals (to turn on the primary/secondary battery and the DCin) come from a Renesas MCU (H8S2169), which also controls backlight, keyboard light, fan etc (so that's the power savings controller in the thinkpad). This functionality could fairly easily be implemented in a small Atmega645 or something. By someone who does that sort of a thing for a living. *looks for mirror*

Or possibly from someone who likes Lego Mindstorms, if you were to keep the original H8

Edit:

The H8S also translates keyboard and trackpad into something the OS can understand (LPC, aka PS/2?). So that explains that.

Last edited by olegil on 03-Dec-2013 at 02:33 PM.

olegil 
Posted on 3-Dec-2013 14:04:22
#254 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

If you use an existing shell you don't need to, you just need to implement a few I2C commands to ask the battery.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 4-Dec-2013 9:30:30
#255 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

I'm probably blind or don't know where to look, I only find battery charges whit I2C not batteries whit I2C, a battery charger is something I consider an external component.

Yes… a small low power micro controller is ideal for this, I know there are some simple USB variants out there that are easy to program and hock this too, a simple proto type board might do the trick if you're only going to build one, a bread board might be nice for testing and experimenting.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-Dec-2013 at 12:37 PM.

elwood 
Posted on 4-Dec-2013 9:35:37
#256 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

I see people mentioning "Can't we use this laptop I have?". It's not the way to go if you want to build a laptop for everyone. You need one recent laptop so that everyone can buy one and use the same motherboard (be it the current Sam460 or any other one).

Amiga Translator Organisation

Arko 
Posted on 4-Dec-2013 10:54:53
#257 ]

@elwood

Quote:

elwood wrote:
@Thread

I see people mentioning "Can't we use this laptop I have?".

At least the "laptop someone has" together with "the adabters you can get for 5$ on EBay", should help a lot of people, if those experts who knew everything where willing to help.

Last edited by Arko on 04-Dec-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Last edited by Arko on 04-Dec-2013 at 10:55 AM.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

1Mouse 
Posted on 4-Dec-2013 11:25:41
#258 ]

@elwood

For me it's just to see whether it's at all possible to get it into a case, sort of protype.

If I can get a Sam440 into a laptop case at least we know it can be done and what size case it can be done in.

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

olegil 
Posted on 4-Dec-2013 14:13:04
#259 ]
Elite Member

@elwood

As long as ANY currently existing board needs some external parts to fit ANY currently existing laptop shells I do not see a problem with people trying to fit in something they own.

One person here actually said he wanted to build one for everyone and he only wants to design cases. Possibly more people want to do the same based on shells they have, but if you can find more of them on ebay then I don't see why starting with something you know is a bad thing. Definetly beats buying 200 laptops off of ebay and discovering you can't use any of them.

olegil 
Posted on 4-Dec-2013 14:17:13
#260 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

You're not blind, just dyslexic

I think I'm not discussing the same issue as you.

Person A wants to use an existing shell and should therefore use the existing battery pack that fits said shell. He should use I2C direct to battery.

Person B wants to make his own shell AND battery pack. He MUST know the voltage, he doesn't NEED to know the current. I would advice against trying to cram hundreds of functions in there without the know-how to combine multiple functions in one PCB.

Person C just used a suitcase and doesn't even monitor voltage. Which he REALLY should.

You all know who you are

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle