Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 96 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

pixie,  retrofaza

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 retrofaza:  1 min ago
 pixie:  4 mins ago
 amigakit:  41 mins ago
 MagicSN:  52 mins ago
 V8:  54 mins ago
 kolla:  57 mins ago
 Hammer:  57 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 deadwood:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Odyssey Bounty
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
Spectre660 
Re: Odyssey Bounty
Posted on 19-Dec-2013 12:26:55
#101 ]
Elite Member

@realize

Post # 101

I trust that you have at some point given a contribution of some sort towards Fab's work.
If not then this bounty is a good opportunity to do so.

Last edited by Spectre660 on 19-Dec-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Last edited by Spectre660 on 19-Dec-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Last edited by Spectre660 on 19-Dec-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
-Sam- 
Posted on 19-Dec-2013 12:55:34
#102 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Quote:
There no need to check if it can be ported or not: of course it can

Thanks for clearing that up kas1e.

Signal 
Posted on 19-Dec-2013 14:25:53
#103 ]
Cult Member

@-Sam-

Quote:

-Sam- wrote:
@kas1e

Quote:
There no need to check if it can be ported or not: of course it can

Thanks for clearing that up kas1e.

And from me, thanks.

amigadave 
Posted on 21-Dec-2013 1:58:27
#104 ]

@kas1e

Thanks for reassuring any of the other members here who might have had reservations about donating to the bounty by saying that there will be no problem to finish a port of the Odyssey web browser to AmigaOS4.x and AROS, after this bounty is finished and the source code released by Fab.

I have always believed that this would be the truth, but there have been some people who have been spreading fear and doubts about this bounty, and I think that they have been doing this for personal reasons of hatred toward anything, or anyone who is connected with the development of MorphOS, and not for reasons truthfully connected with actual development of Odyssey for AmigaOS4.x, or AROS. Then of course there are a few people who suggest that users should keep their money to donate to other projects, or programmers, who are more closely aligned with either AmigaOS4.x, or AROS. They preach toward keeping different camps separate, instead of cooperation and all of us belonging to ONE unified group which are all tied together by our love of the Amiga computer, and how it works differently (and better) than any other personal home computer in history.

It is a shame that some people lower themselves to using tactics such as spreading fear and doubt to some users who do not know better, or didn't find the truth themselves already. Those who prefer to keep separate each different Amiga inspired platform and "camp", I disagree with, but at least I don't call them shameful in their actions.

Hopefully more people like yourself will keep telling the truth and remove all the fears and doubt that keep any other users from donating to this bounty, so we can raise the rest of the bounty money more quickly and soon have a new working version of the Odyssey web browser for both AmigaOS4.x and AROS.

No matter what happens with the continuation of the Timberwolf project, I still think that the Odyssey bounty is an excellent project. I hope that both browsers are completed and maintained long into the future, as there are some users who prefer one over the other, and having different choices is always a good thing. More software is better than less software.

Last edited by amigadave on 21-Dec-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Breed 
Posted on 21-Dec-2013 7:43:43
#105 ]

@amigadave

+1

Nothing more to say

Develin 
Posted on 21-Dec-2013 12:07:18
#106 ]

@amigadave

Well said =)

As a MorphOS-user I would love to see this on more plattforms so I chipped in some more to the bounty. Hopefully the people that is the target for this bounty could make it complete quickly if they really want to...

IntuitionAmiga 
Posted on 21-Dec-2013 12:56:24
#107 ]

@amigadave

Well said AmigaDave!

Timberwolf is absolutely terrible and very unstable not to mention closed source so it doesn't benefit anyone but the Friedens. Were it open source it could be fixed, improved and brought up to parity with Firefox by better programmers and benefit all Amiga platforms.

But there is no point crying over spilt milk, an open sourced Odyssey will be a much finer solution for all of us.

I use Amiga OS 3.9, MorphOS, AROS, ARIX and OS4.1 and would love to have the same high standard of browsing that I'm used to with MorphOS on all of my machines and emulations.

Trixie 
Posted on 21-Dec-2013 13:05:07
#108 ]
Amiga Developer Team

Donated 30 USD. Merry Christmas!

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

pixie 
Posted on 21-Dec-2013 13:28:32
#109 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
Thanks for reassuring any of the other members here who might have had reservations about donating to the bounty by saying that there will be no problem to finish a port of the Odyssey web browser to AmigaOS4.x and AROS, after this bounty is finished and the source code released by Fab.

I have always believed that this would be the truth, but there have been some people who have been spreading fear and doubts about this bounty, and I think that they have been doing this for personal reasons of hatred toward anything, or anyone who is connected with the development of MorphOS, and not for reasons truthfully connected with actual development of Odyssey for AmigaOS4.x, or AROS. Then of course there are a few people who suggest that users should keep their money to donate to other projects, or programmers, who are more closely aligned with either AmigaOS4.x, or AROS. They preach toward keeping different camps separate, instead of cooperation and all of us belonging to ONE unified group which are all tied together by our love of the Amiga computer, and how it works differently (and better) than any other personal home computer in history.

It is a shame that some people lower themselves to using tactics such as spreading fear and doubt to some users who do not know better, or didn't find the truth themselves already. Those who prefer to keep separate each different Amiga inspired platform and "camp", I disagree with, but at least I don't call them shameful in their actions.

Hopefully more people like yourself will keep telling the truth and remove all the fears and doubt that keep any other users from donating to this bounty, so we can raise the rest of the bounty money more quickly and soon have a new working version of the Odyssey web browser for both AmigaOS4.x and AROS.

No matter what happens with the continuation of the Timberwolf project, I still think that the Odyssey bounty is an excellent project. I hope that both browsers are completed and maintained long into the future, as there are some users who prefer one over the other, and having different choices is always a good thing. More software is better than less software.

@amigadave

The TOS explicitly forbids me to comment a moderator, so I will only state:

+1

Last edited by pixie on 21-Dec-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Dwyloc 
Posted on 21-Dec-2013 14:06:12
#110 ]

@Develin
Quote:

Develin wrote:
@amigadave

Well said =)

As a MorphOS-user I would love to see this on more plattforms so I chipped in some more to the bounty. Hopefully the people that is the target for this bounty could make it complete quickly if they really want to...

I will be exited to see it on AROS ARM as the Raspberry Pi is crying out for good light wait browser and my sam440ep under OS4 were I use the older version at the moment.

A 68k port would also be welcome to run on faster 060 Classic Amigas and FPGA Amiga clones in the future.

4MB Minimig with ARM addon boar

cheesegrate 
Posted on 21-Dec-2013 14:11:41
#111 ]

@amigadave

Expect your excommunication from the os4 insiders club in the mail.

"Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!" - Monkey Island

scabit 
Posted on 21-Dec-2013 14:40:26
#112 ]

@cheesegrate

Quote:
Expect your excommunication from the os4 insiders club in the mail.

You are always so full of cheer and good news! Ha! Sarcasm...I have been reduced...

Anyway, seriously, I am an OS4 user and I like having choices. Fab does great work, and I DID donate to this project. OS4 users are not all lunatics any more than MorphOS user or AROS users are...well, you must admit in a way we all are collectively crazy for using these machines instead of MACS or PCs....but that's another story.

Lets see what happens...I wish Fab the best of success and hope he receives a good amount of money for this work.

Scott

Xmas87 
Posted on 21-Dec-2013 17:41:50
#113 ]

@scabit

There seem to be a few maniacs in all camps lol
The poster above you seems to be proving this point very well!

amigadave 
Posted on 21-Dec-2013 21:07:32
#114 ]

Please, no more comments about this camp or that camp and what kinds of crazy people there are in one place or another. I wasted over an hour cleaning this thread of that unnecessary crap a few days ago and don't want to have to lose another minute of my time cleaning up off-topic, community demotivating, member bashing, crap again.

Yes, there are some people in all camps that are "different", or "special", and many times those are the people who are most vocal on the forums, so they get the most attention. That has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, so if that is what you want to discuss, please start a new thread for that topic.

If any of you wish to discuss moderating practices, or specific moderator actions, we welcome such discussions via PMail with any of the moderators, or other staff members. None of that needs to be discussed in this thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

Zylesea 
Posted on 21-Dec-2013 22:28:43
#115 ]
Elite Member

@Dwyloc

Quote:

Dwyloc wrote:

I will be exited to see it on AROS ARM as the Raspberry Pi is crying out for good light wait browser and my sam440ep under OS4 were I use the older version at the moment.

A 68k port would also be welcome to run on faster 060 Classic Amigas and FPGA Amiga clones in the future.

RAM is an important issue. Odyssey is rather quick and lightweight for its power, but it is actually a demanding software. My weakest machine is an Efika. Speedwise Odyssey is surprisingly quick on this 400MHz thing, but don't ask about RAM. The 128 MiB are filled up very quick (it works, but it is limited). Hence I doubt on 060 machines it'll be too much fun as those machines usually don't come with too much RAM. Honestly I think you need at least 512 MiB RAM to use it in a really comfortable way.

Dwyloc 
Posted on 21-Dec-2013 23:16:23
#116 ]

@Zylesea

Quote:
The 128 MiB are filled up very quick (it works, but it is limited). Hence I doubt on 060 machines it'll be too much fun as those machines usually don't come with too much RAM. Honestly I think you need at least 512 MiB RAM to use it in a really comfortable way.

Yes I expect my A1200 BlizardPPC 060 setup with 256MB of fast RAM is quite a rare best but there do seem so me a few good options for Zorro3 Amiga's to add ram repetitively cheaply such as http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=958 but I expect the RAM is quite slow in comparison to fast ram fitted to a CPU card.

Still I expect if you stick to a single tab you will be able to use a number of websites that were previously unaccessable from a 68K Amiga, but as I never got round to trying OS4 or MorphOS passed the early time limited beta's as I was running off a SCSI drive I have never tried any of the more demanding ported software on a Classic setup.

If you stick to a single tab and a lower resolution such as 1024x768 in 16 bit colour is Odyssey reasonably usable on an Efika?

4MB Minimig with ARM addon boar

amigadave 
Posted on 22-Dec-2013 3:28:35
#117 ]

@Dwyloc

I had not thought of trying to run an Amiga 68k version of the Odyssey web browser on my A1200 w/68060 @ 50Mhz w/256mb RAM, but that would be a nice addition to the functionality of that machine, if it could do some better, but limited web browsing.

Probably not too many people who have 68060 & 256mb RAM A1200 Amigas, compared to other models with far less RAM in them.

zChris 
Posted on 22-Dec-2013 14:08:50
#118 ]

Donated $30! :)

Nicsoft 
Posted on 22-Dec-2013 14:27:20
#119 ]

Donated $40.

Come on guys! "5266 members"...
This shouldn't be so difficult!

Zylesea 
Posted on 22-Dec-2013 21:49:43
#120 ]
Elite Member

@Dwyloc

Quote:

Dwyloc wrote:
@Zylesea

Still I expect if you stick to a single tab you will be able to use a number of websites that were previously unaccessable from a 68K Amiga, but as I never got round to trying OS4 or MorphOS passed the early time limited beta's as I was running off a SCSI drive I have never tried any of the more demanding ported software on a Classic setup.

If you stick to a single tab and a lower resolution such as 1024x768 in 16 bit colour is Odyssey reasonably usable on an Efika?

I think with few tabs and 256 MiB Ram you're fine for most stuff. There are, however, sites that are _very_ demading and require more Ram during decoding.
Currently I have 15 tabs open, the system is up since about noon and I have about half a gig RAM in use.

On the Efika I have a fixed 800x600 px resolution, after booting up and launching Odyssey I have about 30 MiB free RAM left. It's enough for a few tabs with easy sites like amigaworld.net. I even managed to run google maps. And youtube is very close to work. But there are sites that are just too heavy (mostly news sites).
And over time spare Ram gets filled up with temp data. Hence with little RAM it it necessary to quit and restart Odyssey fromtime to time to get rid of that data.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle