Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 82 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  7 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  9 mins ago
 vox:  24 mins ago
 retrofaza:  30 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 billt:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 rzookol:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 jPV:  2 hrs 43 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  A-EON: AmigaONE X5000 Revealed
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
PosterThread
amigadave 
Re: A-EON: AmigaONE X5000 Revealed
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 19:33:02
#201 ]

@Kronos

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
@amigadave

Quote:

Just because there are so few hardware & software developers left in the Amiga community, and only a fraction of them are interested in the Amiga NG systems, that does not make the inclusion of the interface useless on it's own merits. There are many hobbyists that are interested in playing with and creating things for the XMOS products, as can be seen on their site and forums.

"Xorro" being useless has nothing to do with the lack of developers, trolling, the price of the mobo or even the current moon-phase....

It's all down to what the XMOS-chips actually are, small footprint microcontrollers aimed at working standalone and then sending their data over ethernet or USB.

There simple is nothing that Xorro could do that couldn't easier be done:
- the P6T CPU
- proper PCI(e) IO-board
- XMOS connected over USB
- XMOS standalone

As such Xorro pretty much nails the definition of "gimmick" regardless wether it's been used or not.

That is your personal opinion and you are free to express it as such. Others have differing opinions regarding the usefulness of the interface and are also free to express their opinions.

No matter how strongly you express your opinions on a yet unused, or MOSTLY ignored and technically limited interface, it does not make it any more valid of an opinion than the opinion of those who think differently than yourself, and are working on implementing uses for such interface, or users who are hoping for a product that will make use of the interface.

It is a "No Win" argument when it involves an unknown future, though your assertion that XMOS via USB may prove to be more practical and nothing will ever come for the Nemo's onboard interface.

I still don't agree with your definition of "gimmick", but then that is just me and a few hundred X1000 owners.

Profile     Report this post  
amigadave 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 19:49:02
#202 ]

@Rob

Quote:

Rob wrote:
@sundown

Just tthought I'd remind you that jorit2 is Evert Carton.

@AmigaDave

Aren't people supposed to receive a warning before being banned?

That statement of mine was his last warning.

To all members:

Discussion and criticism of moderation policies and actions is NOT PERMITTED in the forums and will earn an instant ban from posting for all who violate this policy WITHOUT WARNING!

If you have a problem with my moderating actions, or style, talk to me directly via PM, or contact one of the other Moderators, or Staff Members here at AW.net.

For your collected information, the post I made in this thread directed at wawa, was reviewed and approved by a 2nd moderator BEFORE I posted it, as I knew it was strongly worded and wanted feedback before I posted it to the forums.

itix 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 19:58:08
#203 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:

Just because there are so few hardware & software developers left in the Amiga community, and only a fraction of them are interested in the Amiga NG systems, that does not make the inclusion of the interface useless on it's own merits. There are many hobbyists that are interested in playing with and creating things for the XMOS products, as can be seen on their site and forums.

Why those applications seen on XMOS website are still unavailable to X1000? Is it perhaps because the chip alone is useless? You can program xmos chip to work as USB controller but without USB headers it is no use. You can of course solder some wires here and there and put your $3000 investment into danger.

Xmos is as useful than having 6502 soldered on board but leaving out CIA, VIC and SID chips. Interesting concept but useless.

Quote:

It has potential to be useful, but only time will tell if anything useful is ever created to take advantage of it in any AmigaOne X1000, or future X5000/20, X5000/40, or X3500, by any of their users, or third party hardware/software developers.

I have three C64s in the storage and none of those are useful at the moment but you never know if they are useful in the future...

sundown 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 20:06:51
#204 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:
Just tthought I'd remind you that jorit2 is Evert Carton.

Ah, thought the nick looked familiar, thanks for the reminder.

amigadave 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 20:09:23
#205 ]

@itix

This is a dead argument of differing opinions, but if you still want to pursue it, take it now to a new thread, as it has run its course in this thread and should not pollute it any further.

There is no definition of what is useful and what is not. It is definitely useless to people who don't own an X1000, and never plan on buying one. To the owners of X1000's, it might find some use in the future, or it might not.

Let's agree to disagree on this topic, or as I said, take it to another thread.

Kronos 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 20:49:59
#206 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

When something walks like a duck, looks like a duck, squaks like a duck.... "it's not a duck" does stop being just another opinion.

But then you weren't even trying to form an argument with all you meta-meta-discussion, cos it is still true no matter if Xorro is used or not, it still nails the definition of "gimmick".

Take your time responding, guess I won't be able to till next WE

bison 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 21:06:27
#207 ]
Elite Member

@duga

Quote:
You mean "anything above A4000".

Actually, I was including A5000, since it was greatly anticipated, though never produced.

Rob 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 21:33:05
#208 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

I don't see why anyone should get upset that you called it a gimmick. It doesn't have to be taken as a negative.

Moxee 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 22:23:07
#209 ]
Team Member

@thread

This thread is so full of Off Topic posts I don't think it can get back On Topic.

I am locking this thread now so some of you can clear your minds of the hate you hold deep within.

It may be unlocked later on. Or not.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle