Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 73 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

AMIGASYSTEM

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AMIGASYSTEM:  3 mins ago
 vox:  21 mins ago
 retrofaza:  27 mins ago
 matthey:  41 mins ago
 pixie:  59 mins ago
 billt:  1 hr ago
 rzookol:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs ago
 jPV:  2 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  A-EON: AmigaONE X5000 Revealed
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
tlosm 
Re: A-EON: AmigaONE X5000 Revealed
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 12:29:46
#41 ]
Elite Member

@xeno74

good! ... hope soon will have the same result on AmigaOs ;)

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Profile     Report this post  
Nagasakee 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 12:32:27
#42 ]

@amigakit

The X5000 is good news. Like several of the other posters in this thread, I appreciate the good work you guys do supporting us, and of AEON and Hyperion. I have had my X1000 now for about a year. It used to be my third computer, behind an Alienware Aurora R4 and an Alienware laptop, but it rapidly moving to be my number one device with all the improvements made this year.

I wanted to especially thank you for some of the good information you mentioned on plans going forward. I have found three things I really wish would get better for the Amiga X1000 this year, and these are not complaints but wishes:

First I'd like to see video supported much better (You Tube etc.)

Second, I'd REALLY like to see LibreOffice done. I've asked Trevor a couple of times if I could get in on beta-testing, but not sure the team is at that point. I'm a writer and would love to finish my next book on my X1000 and don't want to use AbiWord if I can help it.

Third, I'd like to see some more of the good information and communication you've presented in this thread. Often it seems like the communication of future plans is the Amiga community's weakest link.

Anyway, like nearly all of the X1000 owners I know, I'm really happy with the products and support I have received. I recognize that historically Amiga forums can be pretty negative places. Don't let it get you down, there are many quiet owners that think you guys are doing really well for we owners of a "hobby" computing platform.

Now, about that LibreOffice :)

Last edited by Nagasakee on 10-Jan-2014 at 12:33 PM.

olegil 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 12:33:00
#43 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Last time I checked, multicore has always been slated as a AmigaOS 4.2 feature. And 4.2 is not out. That's not the fault of AmigaKit or A-Eon.

I'm sure criticism is ok, but it would be fine if it targetted the right group of people.

X1000 isn't going to be a viable design to manufacture forever, ergo there needs to be a successor. This successor has been publically displayed already, the current announcement was simply that now they have decided on the MODEL DESIGNATION it'll have.

Why you would think criticism about missing drivers is appropriate to a discussion about announcement of a MODEL DESIGNATION is pretty far out.

Edit: As far as model designation goes, I would have preferred option 2, but I think I forgot to vote

Last edited by olegil on 10-Jan-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Nagasakee 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 12:37:58
#44 ]

@olegil

couldn't agree more. This announcement of the name of the next platform should have been solely good news, not an opportunity to jump on them for past individual support issues.

But honestly, is anyone surprised?

olegil 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 12:42:36
#45 ]
Elite Member

@Nagasakee

Not me. I try to always anticipate crap like this.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

OlafS25 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 12:48:43
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Nagasakee

AmigaOS user use a thread about naming conventions to praise the system and the hardware vendor. Anyone surprised?

Seriously this thread was not only about naming so Wawas comments were as valid as yours (even if you do not agree).

But general it is a hobby platform so people should ignore postings they do not like (as long as they are not insulting). There are more important things in life than Amiga (and all related).

And the relation between price and performance on all "X" systems will always be poor and create discussions (it will happen with X5000 again). But as long as people tolerate different attitudes it should be ok. Only if some people say this and only this is "Amiga" it will heat up discussions again.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 10-Jan-2014 at 12:52 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 13:18:06
#47 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:
If it was based on the comunities' decisions it would be X86 board with an FPGA 68070, triple A chipset, ARM tablet with 24 serial ports that fits in the A1200 trapdoor. All for under $100, of course.

i think you were quite close to hit the nail on the head if you wouldnt try so hard to make it sound like an absurdity.

amigadave 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 13:20:48
#48 ]

@OlafS25

You have a valid point about most forum topics going "Off Topic" in one way or another. When it begins to become a nasty fight between members of one opinion and members who have opposing opinions, then it is no longer about the original topic and a moderator usually needs to step in and ask the combatants to take their fight to PM, or email, or to clean up the way in which they are presenting their arguments and start a new thread about what ever it is that they wish to continue fighting, or discussing about.

If any other members wish to comment on the announced naming convention chosen for the proposed next systems from A-EON & AmigaKit, please do so in this thread.

If the only comments seen here continue to be about the state of drivers, or the current status of AmigaOS4.x, they will be moved to a new thread and this thread will be locked.

wawa 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 13:29:43
#49 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Quote:
Last time I checked, multicore has always been slated as a AmigaOS 4.2 feature. And 4.2 is not out. That's not the fault of AmigaKit or A-Eon.

thats right. even though apparently do not belong to target audience i appreciate trevors effort and the result and dont think that shortcomings of os4 are his fault of course.
Quote:
I'm sure criticism is ok, but it would be fine if it targetted the right group of people.

except amigakit is selling the x1k as dedicated device boundled with os4. neither hardware nor software in question may be directly their product, but as distributor they still have some responsibility and since amigakit spoke up in this thread on behalf of os4 i answewred to their post. of course it is all but offtopic here, lets leave it at that.

@dave, sorry for crossposting.

Last edited by wawa on 10-Jan-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 10-Jan-2014 at 01:30 PM.

Nagasakee 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 13:44:56
#50 ]

@amigadave

You are right Dave. Sorry.

I think the name(s) is (are) great, like all of them.

mbrantley 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 13:54:41
#51 ]
Cult Member

Ever notice most of the worry over support for X1000 (and no doubt future X5000) owners usually comes from folks who aren't likely to become members of that group NO MATTTER WHAT? (Of course this is with one very obvious and now notorious exception of an unsatisfied X1000 owner.... ahem.)

Regarding the naming convention, as an A-Eon/AmigaKit/Hyperion/AmigaOS owner likely to be a repeat customer, I'm pleased it went this way. I like continuing with the "X" series and not confusing matters with a regression to an "A" series. This keeps things distinct from the Commodore series of computers that run earier versions of AmigaOS while also paying homage and showing a continuation. X5000 sounds perfect to my ears!

newlight 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 14:43:36
#52 ]

@Nagasakee

Not me too.Considering the number of new OS4 machines in the last years that not surprised me but yes like it.

Amiga 1200 Tower on AmigaKit since years
AMIGA 1300 030/50 Mhz/32 MB WB 3.9 with lots of games&demos
AMIGA ONE XE G3 PPC 800 Mhz/1 GB RAM/RADEON 9250 128 MB/SATA CONTROLLER

Rob 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 16:04:42
#53 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Rob

Quote:
If it was based on the comunities' decisions it would be X86 board with an FPGA 68070, triple A chipset, ARM tablet with 24 serial ports that fits in the A1200 trapdoor. All for under $100, of course.

i think you were quite close to hit the nail on the head if you wouldnt try so hard to make it sound like an absurdity.

Perhaps the real absurdity is for people to want those things from a company that has already made clear it's plans.

On the subject of names I quite like the chosen names.

@AmigaKit or A-EON

Will this Nemo based systems have different cases to the X1000?

ilbarbax 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 16:28:21
#54 ]

I do hope that they will choose a smaller box. One of the reasons why I did not bought the X1000 is the mastodonic box, apart the missing 2500€

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 16:37:41
#55 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Apart from OS updates the X1000 looks like the least supported platform for third party software, and it's been here for a while. For example where is the X1000 version of MPlayer that works out of the box? Last I checked it didn't work and needed some CLI switches just to budge. I just want it to work as always.

Last edited by Hypex on 11-Jan-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 16:42:05
#56 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Quote:
To my understanding beta testers have access to xkernell with alpha/beta multicore support. Feel free to correct if I'm wrong.

You understnad correcrly. So, multicore support is being worked on, this is public knowledge. And we have nothing to complain about now because it's in the works!

Or, to speak in CU Amiga language, "Roland rules house music and no arguments please."

wawa 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 17:06:10
#57 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:
Perhaps the real absurdity is for people to want those things from a company that has already made clear it's plans.

considering that they are going to release an zorro audio decoder card for amiga, who knows..

raumfahre 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 18:53:41
#58 ]

@ilbarbax
Quote:
I do hope that they will choose a smaller box.

I seem to remember it said that the Cyrus+ motherboard will be available to purchase as a single item from the getgo this time around

Tomas 
Posted on 12-Jan-2014 0:40:17
#59 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Quote:

amigakit wrote:
@Tomas

The two features you mentioned are not even the domain of the OS, one is the RadeonHD driver and the other is the Warp3D system.

Multicore support was advertised by hyperion even before the x1000 was released.
And surely you cant call the hardware supported when you can only use one core??
Same thing with the gfx support.. If it does not have proper drivers yet then it is just not fully supported.
If I buy a system bundled with a OS I expect that OS to have proper support for that hardware.

Tomas 
Posted on 12-Jan-2014 0:45:23
#60 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@KimmoK

Quote:
To my understanding beta testers have access to xkernell with alpha/beta multicore support. Feel free to correct if I'm wrong.

You understnad correcrly. So, multicore support is being worked on, this is public knowledge. And we have nothing to complain about now because it's in the works!

Or, to speak in CU Amiga language, "Roland rules house music and no arguments please."

Which they also said years ago which was long before they even mentioned 4.2.
The x1000 has been out of production for quite some time already and yet no multicore support or proper gfx drivers. Maybe in another decade it will finally have some sort of SMP support.....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle