Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 83 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hypex

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  1 min ago
 billt:  29 mins ago
 pixie:  32 mins ago
 retrofaza:  36 mins ago
 VooDoo:  38 mins ago
 amigakit:  41 mins ago
 RobertB:  59 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  2 hrs 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  A-EON: AmigaONE X5000 Revealed
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: A-EON: AmigaONE X5000 Revealed
Posted on 13-Jan-2014 14:22:04
#81 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Perhaps Trevor is not free what name to choose (because of AmigaInc and/or Hyperion) we do not know. And even if, who cares? If it is called "SuperCrap 2020" or "AmigaOne X5000", the hardware is not getting better or cheaper and there is not more software running on it. For Trevor it is a kind of expensive hobbies, others with money f.e. collect cars and he collects Amigas and even create his own new toys. Right now AmigaOS and all related is a pure hobby market with some expensive choices for a group of dedicated people, nothing else. So I do not see the "naming" as a real problem (or at least not as the most urgent).

Profile     Report this post  
amigadave 
Posted on 13-Jan-2014 15:33:20
#82 ]

@agami

I too once felt like you appear to feel due to the way you have expressed yourself in your message, until I looked closer at what was being done, and got to know a little more about the people involved in making it happen.

I still think that some mistakes were made in their early attempts to stir up enthusiasm for the X1000 project, specially with their bad timing, due to delays in development of the motherboard, which went through at least 3 revisions (one of the revisions being a minor change). But now after getting to meet and learn a little more about Trevor and his dreams and aspirations to help revive the Amiga community (while at the same time making his own dream of a new AmigaOne system to run AmigaOS4.x on for himself), I don't think there was any "ill intent" behind his (perhaps clumsy) attempts to excite and build enthusiasm for his proposed project.

Similarly, I do not think that there was any preconceived "manipulation" intended by Trevor, or AmigaKit, when they decided to accept community input to "HELP THEM" choose which name to use for their next product.

You are free to feel otherwise and perhaps even be offended because you think that they attempted to manipulate you, or others that you know, but I don't feel that way. I also don't see anything wrong with how you presented your opinion, and wish more members would be so courteous in expressing their own opinions, instead of trying to cram a differing opinion down someones throat, or whining when another member has a different opinion than theirs. I would not ban you for clearly expressing your opinion, nor do I see any reason to edit it in any way, as you were not offensive, or personally attacking anyone directly, unless some think that because you have a differing opinion than Trevor, or myself, that you are attacking either of us, which I would disagree with and defend your right to express your own opinion of the topic.

ssolie 
Posted on 13-Jan-2014 16:44:37
#83 ]
Elite Member

@agami
Quote:
I'm done, you can ban me now.

You managed to voice a strong opinion about something without personally attacking anyone, swearing, promoting a clone system or even threatening to sue. I find it quite refreshing and not even worth a report.

I do strongly disagree with the "manipulation" part. A-EON was just trying to have a bit of fun and nothing more. You would know this if you knew the people behind the company a bit better personally like I do.

Yeah, there could have been more choices or open to any name or whatever. I didn't get the name I wanted either. But as it says on every Slashdot poll, "Don't complain about lack of options. You've got to pick a few when you do multiple choice. Those are the breaks."

Signal 
Posted on 13-Jan-2014 16:56:37
#84 ]
Cult Member

@agami

Is payola considered manipulation

tlosm 
Posted on 13-Jan-2014 18:14:07
#85 ]
Elite Member

@All
This is an hobby ... Amigang is an hobby computer...nothing Moore
It is like the fpga arcade , the miming, the c64 super CPU or spectrum mega ultra hacking mod...
For hobby and rare things everyone know are needed passion and money...no passion no party , no money no party...
Amiga was ...amigaos is now the feeling of before.now is impossible make a new standard no power, no partner , no money..
My only hope is the new machine have to gave me the fun of the old ones ... Without the last orrible situation. No drivers, dma problems, continuous instability ...
I need an amigaos like was before ...put the media and everything was working and gave me from beginning the fun and happiness and make me proud of using amiga

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

wawa 
Posted on 13-Jan-2014 18:55:43
#86 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

Quote:
You managed to voice a strong opinion about something without personally attacking anyone, swearing, promoting a clone system or even threatening to sue. I find it quite refreshing and not even worth a report.

very tolerant statement. especially he is mentioning "crap" all around the post. but then against what vox wrote lately, there probably may not be any comparison, so the limits may have gotten a little loose. perhaps its best some vocal supporters leave and then eventually some naysaysers (like me) will get bored and follow in their footsteps.

Quote:
I do strongly disagree with the "manipulation" part.

while this impression arises, because the constant attempt to prove the continuity of lineage since the genuine amiga (gosh, i need to write "genuine" here) till amigaone and os4.

Quote:
A-EON was just trying to have a bit of fun and nothing more. You would know this if you knew the people behind the company a bit better personally like I do.

well. either its fun or it is a company. if its fun nothing will be taken seriously and all will be forgiven. a company instead will and should be taken responsible.

wawa 
Posted on 13-Jan-2014 18:58:18
#87 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

Quote:
My only hope is the new machine have to gave me the fun of the old ones ... Without the last orrible situation. No drivers, dma problems, continuous instability ...
I need an amigaos like was before ...put the media and everything was working and gave me from beginning the fun and happiness and make me proud of using amiga

get yourself a genuine amiga again and have fun.

tlosm 
Posted on 13-Jan-2014 19:58:13
#88 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I only have 10 genuine Amiga , don't worry
This was one of mine and don't think is the only one like this

4 Wawa the troll. ...
And I have only 3 ng 2x powermac ad 1 Efika ... Don't wanna write the list of other architecture...

Last edited by tlosm on 13-Jan-2014 at 07:59 PM.

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Overflow 
Posted on 13-Jan-2014 19:59:16
#89 ]

@wawa

So you are saying "fun" and "company" is mutually exlusive?

TrevorDick 
Posted on 13-Jan-2014 20:19:17
#90 ]
Elite Member

If you have the chance get a copy of issue 106 of Amiga Future magazine. There is a nice quote from former US President Theodore Roosevelt dating back to a speech he made in France in 1910.

Now I'm not usually taken by inspirational quotes or sayings but for some reason this one struck a chord in me?

“The man in the arena”

BTW I'm having fun.

TrevorD

Rob 
Posted on 13-Jan-2014 21:17:10
#91 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrhzX3dRRiI

wawa 
Posted on 13-Jan-2014 21:19:36
#92 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

Quote:
4 Wawa the troll. ...

as an experienced troll i said, something is wrong with your minigl/w3d setting. cant say what, though, its ages now that i tried to get around these buggy drivers.

wawa 
Posted on 13-Jan-2014 21:25:39
#93 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

Quote:
So you are saying "fun" and "company" is mutually exlusive?

no, but you cant have a company for "just having fun" because its means duty too, and duty and responsibility may be annoying rather than pure fun. so far i wouldnt complain about aeon not being up to their responsibilities, even though i do not share the vision. alas aeon is bound in cooperation to another "company"..

eliyahu 
Posted on 13-Jan-2014 21:27:05
#94 ]

@thread

"... it is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

-- eliyahu

tlosm 
Posted on 13-Jan-2014 22:20:09
#95 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

wawa

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

wawa 
Posted on 13-Jan-2014 23:21:12
#96 ]
Elite Member

edit: admittedly ot comment removed in order not to derail thread any further.

Last edited by wawa on 14-Jan-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 13-Jan-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 13-Jan-2014 at 11:22 PM.

mbrantley 
Posted on 13-Jan-2014 23:51:23
#97 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

Thank you for posting that quote. Very well said.

guruman 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 0:39:06
#98 ]

@tonyw
Quote:
tonyw wrote:
@guruman

Are you just trying to get Hypex to blow his NDA?

No, not really... Just wanted some confirmation, because his message #56 in this thread was a bit ambiguous. He seemed to confirm that X-Kernel was actively under betatest, but then specified that it is under development. And indeed, as far as I knew, X-Kernel is under development, but I did not know it was being betatested (nor these are the info I "distilled" from some other betatesters as well). So I asked for a clarification, and I am glad I had: X-Kernel is under development, as we knew, but not yet for wider betatest, as I knew and contrarily to KimmoK understanding.
That said, if he ever broke an NDA it would have already been at post #56, so I wasn't trying anything.

BTW, I find quite ridicolous that in a "world" of around a couple of thousand people worldwide (i.e. the Amiga community), someone still takes it so seriously to issue things like NDAs... Is this really needed? After all it seems it's just a hobby for everyone but a couple of stores: everything would continue unaffected even without lawyers and NDAs and such things. Let's leave this crap to multi-million dollars markets...

@Hypex
Thank you!

Kind regards,
Andrea

agami 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 1:17:24
#99 ]

@Overflow

Quote:
It sort of makes sense if you come from the "old guard" that remembers the A500, 1000, 1200, 4000 etc
line.
X1000 keeps in line with that tradition and it somewhat resonates with us.

SO, if Aeon/Trevor was aiming to only appeal to the 30+ years old guys with an old c64/amiga on the loft that now got a decent income plus a sense of nostalgica that is increasing proportional to the retreating hairline..? Then the X5000 hit the mark

The funny thing is, I am of the "old guard", I am 43, a professional with adequate discretionary income to afford a X1000, and I am nostalgic which is why I mess around with my A1200, Morphos on PowerBook, Amiga Forever on a PC, and I've even tried out AROS. I could be considered the epitome of the A1 X1000 demographic.

And perhaps I would have got one if it wasn't attached to that gargantuan tower. I don't care for it's size or styling, and shipping to Australia is merciless on the wallet. This is why I hope the X3500 will be available as a board + OS kit.

Last edited by agami on 14-Jan-2014 at 01:18 AM.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 1:47:48
#100 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
karski about roosevelt in documentation of claude lanzmann ;)

Wrong Roosevelt. The quote was from Theodore not Franklin.

TrevorD

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle