Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 108 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  19 mins ago
 pavlor:  28 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 1 min ago
 wakido:  5 hrs 9 mins ago
 bhabbott:  5 hrs 11 mins ago
 Karlos:  6 hrs 19 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  6 hrs 48 mins ago
 amigakit:  7 hrs 20 mins ago
 Matt3k:  8 hrs 37 mins ago
 RobertB:  8 hrs 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga's future, or lack of
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
phoenixkonsole 
Re: Amiga's future, or lack of
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 6:30:48
#121 ]

@BigGun
Well we will See : )
But except to Play Classic Games what will You do again with 200 mips?
For me aros on arm with a faster than the fatest real 68k emulation and the ability to Run a html5 browser, libreoffice and xbmc makes still more Sense. You can Run at native Speed Windows 8rt stuff as well. If the fpga reached Gigaflops than you convience me

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 9:01:32
#122 ]
Elite Member

@BigGun

Forgotten that there are roms and the whole OS for free?

Forget the original roms and system, they stick legally between AmigaInc. and Hyperion

And Phoenixconsole and I are working together, he is using Aros Vision for 68k emulation that means software can be written on one platform and then running on different platforms without changes. I think emulation and real FPGA based hardware are the two sides of a coin, not everyone will be interested to buy Amigas but everyone will be able to run Amiga software

Last edited by OlafS25 on 23-Jul-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Overflow 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 9:37:15
#123 ]

@phoenixkonsole

As strange as it sounds, you could actually do many of your daily duties with A1200 Classic if the computer is sufficiently fast.

I just installed the graphics pack for Indivision mk 2 yesterday and upped the reselution as high as I could get it with 256 colors. The speed was okish, but somewhat sluggish.
But I got alot of screen real estate.
Obviously I dont need 256 colors to get by, but it makes it look nice and with spreadsheet/text programs I theoretically dont need Wintel PC.

I have no illusions that it can compete with Libreoffice+multiple monitors, but I will for sure try to use my A1200 as much as possible if I ever get a good accelerator for it.

Part insanity, part nostalgica and all fun

KimmoK 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 9:39:18
#124 ]
Elite Member

@$50 computer...

x86 ready-to-use cost eur300 locally.
RPi cost eur50, but it's not powerfull enough for "computer" use
Qdroid is powerfull and costs about eur70.

$200-300 eur computer should be doable with PPC.
(and it should be done already)

@new new users pop every now and then (beside case Vistaus)
http://www.morphzone.info/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=16&topic_id=10065&post_id=113111&viewmode=flat&sortorder=1&showonepost=1

Last edited by KimmoK on 23-Jul-2014 at 10:17 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 9:41:07
#125 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

Except web browsing (at least at the moment ) and if you do not need to exchange data with outside world or need certain software (f.e. Windows) you could live without a PC, if the system has enough resources (RAM) and is fast enough. Much depends on the software of course.

Nameless 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 9:42:49
#126 ]

@BigGun

I didn't realize FPGAs were cheap enough for that yet.

Last time I even looked at them was some time ago when me and some other fellow was chatting here about turning a Pi into an Amiga-ish system, by adding a FPGA to hold the Amiga chipset. It wasn't big enough to hold the CPU too, so would use the ARM chip for that. Then we ran into the little issue of no 68K JIT for ARM...

Not that either of us had the technical know-how to do it anyway, but it was sort of a fun hypothetical discussion at the time.

If such a system could be sold for $50 or less... it should sell.
Use AROS, as others have already stated. If people want WB and original ROMs, I am sure they can find them anyway. I'm sort of amazed they aren't free by now.

One question though ... due to the legal thingy with Hyperion, can a system, even a retro game system such as this, include AROS with the device? I forget what their odd rules were.

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 9:44:17
#127 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

if the OS alone is at about 135 Dollar + costs for driver development you have no chance. And you would need something that is produced in big numbers off-the-shelf already. If you produce in low quantities like Acube and a-eon the result is always a high price.

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 9:46:06
#128 ]
Elite Member

@Nameless

yes, Toni Wilen has developed Rom replacements that are very good working already. For example WHDLoad works like a charm in it (i have WHDLoad with rom replacements preinstalled in Aros Vision). Aros is a reimplementation of 3.1., no original sources used so yes it is legal.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 23-Jul-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Thorham 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 9:47:35
#129 ]

Quote:
OlafS25 wrote:

Except web browsing (at least at the moment )

Depends on what you want to browse.

Quote:
OlafS25 wrote:

and if you do not need to exchange data with outside world

A1200s have networks, you know...

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 9:51:20
#130 ]
Elite Member

@Thorham

I meant software. People use software like MS Office or LibreOffice and others. AmigaWriter could already save in word format but then it was stopped. Similar is the case for many others, last updates were around 2000. In Aros Vision I use Magellan to make it possible to convert between formats (where CLI based converters are available). That is possible for many graphic or music formats but not for office data or other formats.

As a example someone takes a excel file at home, makes changes and takes it back to office.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 23-Jul-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 23-Jul-2014 at 09:52 AM.

Thorham 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 9:54:31
#131 ]

Quote:
OlafS25 wrote:

I meant software.

Yeah, just realized that, sorry

KimmoK 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 10:24:54
#132 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

"if the OS alone is at about 135 Dollar + costs for driver development you have no chance. "

Ok, let me clarify: eur200-300 with open source OSs.

>And you would need something that is produced in big numbers off-the-shelf already. If you produce in low quantities like Acube and a-eon the result is always a high price.

I see low price possible even in low volume (1000 would be my minimum, 10 000 the target. 1000 would be done without R&D costs covered, 10 000 might then enable some payback.).

((and most likely with a run of 1000 units, it would be called xxxx-BETATESTER & limited warranty etc...))

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Vistaus 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 10:26:19
#133 ]

@OlafS25

If they use well-known Amiga hardware like the network card in the AONE500 for example, then driver development doesn't have to be a problem. Couple that with a supported RadeonHD (even if optional) and a cheap PPC CPU and there you have a cheap Amiga.
They don't have to get rich from it. Look at Amazon. For 3 generations the Kindle Fire tablet is sold at mf price. If A-EON/Acube can manage to sell a $400 Amiga with specs I mentioned and they market it right, then they have chance of breaking even. If popular enough, costs for future hardware can be lowered.

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 10:36:35
#134 ]
Elite Member

@Vistaus

I do not want to bash Hyperion or anybody else but the X1000 is still not fully supported after years and it was a custom board. So there must be a problem somewhere or different priorities. I cannot answer why they never created something more affordable, the market certainly would have been there and propably is. A-eon does not want to make competition on Acube and Acube is not earning its money (personal guess) with selling something to amigans but selling the boards to industry (perhaps Linux preinstalled) and only additionally selling it with AmigaOS. So they have no interest to invest there in cheaper solutions that are only interesting for amiga market. It seems they are working now on a extended version of Minimig but that could be out of date already before getting ready. We will see. And besides of A-eon and Acube there is noone interested in amiga right now.

But that is only my personal view, only Acube/A-eon can answer that.

Kindle is a good example, it was sold at very aggressive low prices, they wanted to create a market before earning money. In Amiga market companies still want to earn money even though it has shrinked. And of course Kindle is a mean to earn money with content, a different business model.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 23-Jul-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 23-Jul-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 23-Jul-2014 at 10:38 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 10:50:56
#135 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Yes propably it is possible, even with PPC but it would need a much more aggressive price strategy (including taking more risks). And to me neither Acube nor A-eon or Hyperion (as the OS and driver developer) are willing (or able to) to do that.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 23-Jul-2014 at 10:52 AM.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 10:56:45
#136 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

?????????

TrevorD

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 11:00:25
#137 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick

What ???????

It was only my personal view

If I am wrong you can explain to the other people (your customer) here why there are no cheaper and at the same time better hardware available what people want to have (if they are right that it is possible)

Last edited by OlafS25 on 23-Jul-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Overflow 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 11:07:49
#138 ]

@OlafS25

With the current CPU choice Id say Trevor/Aeon/Amigakit went as cheap as they could, subsidising the increase in cost of CPU down the line. A discussion beyond that ventures into the "which CPU/Platform to base AOS4 future on", which has been done countless times. Im sure Trevor and his collegues have had that brainstorming amongst themselves aswell.

As for a high performance accelerator for the Classic Amiga line;

Ive invested 400+ euros on my A1200 the last month. The more fun I get out of it, the more inclined I am to keep spending, even tho Ive already beefed it up quite a bit already. If I get a MAJOR boost in usabaility from the accelerator, my intrest in the general Amiga platform might be revitalized to the point I start looking at NG platforms, which ever direction that takes me.

So Classic developments might spill over to NG indirectly.

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 11:16:16
#139 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

I know.

regarding accellerator I hope it will be very price aggressive. All persons involved are idealists and we all know that we have to invest in the platform before making any profit.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 11:19:30
#140 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

You have the right to express your own opinion and personal views.

Quote:
You can explain to people here why there are no cheaper and at the same time better hardware available

I have publicly stated on numerous occasions why custom build hardware, designed and built from scratch, can not be cheaper than mass produced off-the-shelf hardware. I think you know that but.......

TrevorD

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle