Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 119 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  5 mins ago
 RobertB:  7 mins ago
 cip060:  38 mins ago
 sibbi:  47 mins ago
 blmara:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 pavlor:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 Seiya:  3 hrs 1 min ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  How to make Amiga OS a leading operating system?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 Next Page )
PosterThread
sundown 
Re: How to make Amiga OS a leading operating system?
Posted on 11-May-2015 5:53:40
#381 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Quote:
I'm fully aware that my last post may be construed as an attempt to sneak in some trolling under the guise of an examples based lesson.

Not at all, nice examples I might add. I find describing trolling very hard, but easy to spot as you said.

Profile     Report this post  
sundown 
Posted on 11-May-2015 6:10:31
#382 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Quote:
OK, so the moderators are malevolent Gods who can do whatever they want even if there's a clear conflict of interest.

You, I, & most others do not pay for the server usage, there for we are all guests here. At the same time what we post reflects on the ones who do. We can chase ppl away or bring more ppl into the fold based on what we post. The owners select mods to protect their investment, this is not a democracy, like it or not. If you were to invite someone into your house & he spit on your floor, I'm sure you'd toss him out real fast.

BSzili 
Posted on 11-May-2015 9:31:37
#383 ]

@sundown
Quote:
The x5000 isn't a Peg2.

Indeed it isn't. Even worse, Genesi had ties with the MorphOS team, which might have lead to an unfair advantage, unlike A-Eon, which has ties with Hyperion. It's important to have a level playing field.

Last edited by BSzili on 11-May-2015 at 09:32 AM.

KimmoK 
Re: How to make AmigaOS a leading operating system?
Posted on 11-May-2015 11:51:17
#384 ]
Elite Member

@Hillbillylitre

>>Leading OS for senior users: within reach, perhaps
>Like a...

Here is one attempt of a "PC for senioirs", only in finnish, but perhaps pictures show the idea:
http://www.senioripc.fi/hanki-senioripc

Huge market to explore.
My father is still alive. And I do not have easy to learn computer system for him.
(same for my mother-in-law)

>Kids are not stupid, how do you think they would react if they got a OS4 system?

There is no AmigaOS for kids.
They would see current AmigaOS4 like other desktops, except less capable, perhaps.

>Besides kids nowadays won't even use Windows, they say its old and not cool enough...

That's why there is a big market?

What is the cool OS kids use?

IMO: they do not use any OS, they use the apps and games. Most what current OSs offer is just distraction.

(I have 5year old and a 8 year old, they use Linux, Windows and android, but they do not know what is under the hood. Amigas are the ones they not yet are allowed to touch.. But I do not yet have a system that can manage the test of 8 year old or 5 year old.)

I limit the time that kids spend on front of gamesystem/computer, for example PS2 is too difficult to use for 8 year old when english is not his mothertongue and there is no localisation system on PS2 like on Amiga systems.
I know that If I let my 8 year old spend 8h/day on ps2, he would eventually find the way around menus etc., but....

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Severin 
Posted on 11-May-2015 13:24:45
#385 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Thank you for such an excellent example of trolling.

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

megol 
Posted on 11-May-2015 14:11:42
#386 ]

@Severin

And thank you for your examples.

broadblues 
Posted on 11-May-2015 14:49:44
#387 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@agami

Good post. I was despairing a little that certain people couldn't tell the difference between trolling and non trolling.

broadblues 
Posted on 11-May-2015 14:52:28
#388 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@ferrels

Quote:

who are also moderators and who in reality are being paid under the table to promote OS4 and A-Eon hardware on these forums.

You spout nonsense like that and wonder why you got a ban?

broadblues 
Posted on 11-May-2015 15:00:37
#389 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@BSzili

Quote:

Even worse, Genesi had ties with the MorphOS team, which might have lead to an unfair advantage, unlike A-Eon, which has ties with Hyperion.

It's important to have a level playing field.

Why? In either direction (aeon/aos | genesi/mos) this seems an odd thing to say.

BSzili 
Posted on 11-May-2015 15:42:50
#390 ]

@broadblues

I always forget, that sarcasm can be hard to identify in written text :) This is exactly the point I was trying to make.

broadblues 
Posted on 11-May-2015 17:02:19
#391 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@BSzili

Ah, okay then, sorry for taking you literally!

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 11-May-2015 17:28:06
#392 ]

@KimmoK

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:
@Hillbillylitre

>>Leading OS for senior users: within reach, perhaps
>Like a...

Here is one attempt of a "PC for senioirs", only in finnish, but perhaps pictures show the idea:
http://www.senioripc.fi/hanki-senioripc

Huge market to explore.
My father is still alive. And I do not have easy to learn computer system for him.
(same for my mother-in-law)

>Kids are not stupid, how do you think they would react if they got a OS4 system?

There is no AmigaOS for kids.
They would see current AmigaOS4 like other desktops, except less capable, perhaps.

>Besides kids nowadays won't even use Windows, they say its old and not cool enough...

That's why there is a big market?

What is the cool OS kids use?

IMO: they do not use any OS, they use the apps and games. Most what current OSs offer is just distraction.

(I have 5year old and a 8 year old, they use Linux, Windows and android, but they do not know what is under the hood. Amigas are the ones they not yet are allowed to touch.. But I do not yet have a system that can manage the test of 8 year old or 5 year old.)

I limit the time that kids spend on front of gamesystem/computer, for example PS2 is too difficult to use for 8 year old when english is not his mothertongue and there is no localisation system on PS2 like on Amiga systems.
I know that If I let my 8 year old spend 8h/day on ps2, he would eventually find the way around menus etc., but....

I came in contact with computers myself in that age, more by coincidence though but I didn't expect you were talking about that small kids.

Microsoft often hide their logos in the stores because young people associate it with old and not so cool or socalled hip things, its said. The same applies to many other things. As you say yourself, those who use it use it because they have to, or because its one of the best option namely due to software. The biggest reason for this is market share.

Whatever you want to transform AmigaOS into, I don't think it will be able to gather customers by importance because of its name and reputation.

If something should be done it should have been done a long time ago, so if something can not be properly done it shouldn't be done.

Using: One Commodore C64 - One Commodore Amiga 500 - One Commodore Amiga 1200 with BVision and Blizzard 68060 with PPC coprocessor running Amiga DOS - One Hellbillylitre Amigatwox86x64x6000x running Windows7

TheBilgeRat 
Posted on 11-May-2015 17:48:06
#393 ]

@Hillbillylitre
agreed

Overflow 
Posted on 11-May-2015 18:30:19
#394 ]

@Hillbillylitre

In my opinion we, that to a certain degree, care about the OS and hardware is a dying breed.
When I got my c64 in 89-90 some of my close friends got Amstrad and Spectrum. We favoured our "chosen" hardware since there where no cross compability between the different brands. We also had to take the time to learn tweaking the cassettplayer, use turbotapes etc.
Many games where programmed in BASIC, and Im sure Im not the only one that made changes to the code to enhance the playability of many games.
Atleast in my case it made me quite loyal to the brand.

Fast forward to today. Last weekend the 12 and 14 years old in the house had friends over and invaded my nerdcave, containing 2 windows computers, 1 A1200 and a Playstation 2.
The kids switch between the different platforms without any care of what the OS is called.
Only thing they care about is "will it run xyz game with no hassle?".
I have NEVER heard them talk about windows, linux, Workbench or OS in general.
They could not care less.

The latest craze is now Project CARS, running with steering wheel, TrackIR and on Windows.
I think the "windows being uncool" argument is constructed, as the new generation only cares about the Applications/games/no hassle access, and not the underlying OS.
The less they see of the OS, the better.

And thats not kids. Most adults I know care very little about the OS, and know even less how it works.

So I think we overstate how much the OS name means. Functionality and program availability is what people care about.

If X1000/AOS4x would run a game similar to Porject CARS with ability to utilize TrackIR, steering Wheel etc, the kids/most users would not question having such hardware/OS.
Its a non-issue.

As for the whole Amiga related OS discussion; we think its fun/intresting to dabble in what we used as our main OS when we where kids/young. Many of us have enough disposable income to ignore the performance to price aspect of the equation.

Not 100% rational, but if its fun for xyz (and even somewhat useful), who am I to argue?

Last edited by Overflow on 11-May-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Last edited by Overflow on 11-May-2015 at 06:37 PM.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 11-May-2015 19:17:37
#395 ]

@TheBilgeRat

Dude!

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 11-May-2015 19:33:54
#396 ]

@TheBilgeRat

Gawd... This wee forum...

Using: One Commodore C64 - One Commodore Amiga 500 - One Commodore Amiga 1200 with BVision and Blizzard 68060 with PPC coprocessor running Amiga DOS - One Hellbillylitre Amigatwox86x64x6000x running Windows7

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 11-May-2015 19:47:57
#397 ]

@Overflow

Quote:

Overflow wrote:
@Hillbillylitre

In my opinion we, that to a certain degree, care about the OS and hardware is a dying breed.
When I got my c64 in 89-90 some of my close friends got Amstrad and Spectrum. We favoured our "chosen" hardware since there where no cross compability between the different brands. We also had to take the time to learn tweaking the cassettplayer, use turbotapes etc.
Many games where programmed in BASIC, and Im sure Im not the only one that made changes to the code to enhance the playability of many games.
Atleast in my case it made me quite loyal to the brand.

Fast forward to today. Last weekend the 12 and 14 years old in the house had friends over and invaded my nerdcave, containing 2 windows computers, 1 A1200 and a Playstation 2.
The kids switch between the different platforms without any care of what the OS is called.
Only thing they care about is "will it run xyz game with no hassle?".
I have NEVER heard them talk about windows, linux, Workbench or OS in general.
They could not care less.

The latest craze is now Project CARS, running with steering wheel, TrackIR and on Windows.
I think the "windows being uncool" argument is constructed, as the new generation only cares about the Applications/games/no hassle access, and not the underlying OS.
The less they see of the OS, the better.

And thats not kids. Most adults I know care very little about the OS, and know even less how it works.

So I think we overstate how much the OS name means. Functionality and program availability is what people care about.

Its probably mostly about phones and especially the Xbox combined with Microsoft, not the OS alone.

Quote:
If X1000/AOS4x would run a game similar to Porject CARS with ability to utilize TrackIR, steering Wheel etc, the kids/most users would not question having such hardware/OS.
Its a non-issue.

I think it would if it had competition. Moreover, had it really been worth it without competition too, I mean there is much more interesting things to do like driving a real car.

TheBilgeRat 
Posted on 11-May-2015 20:02:59
#398 ]

@Hillbillylitre

Quote:

Hillbillylitre wrote:
@TheBilgeRat

Gawd... This wee forum...

Yeah. Its...interesting.

Side note - rocking that budget AMD still. glad I gave it a chance - I may just have to lessen my AMD hate when I build again. I'll even think of maybe admitting that I was wrong about it to you someday

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 11-May-2015 21:58:54
#399 ]

@TheBilgeRat

At least you get something for the money with the AMD CPU computer, something that can not be said about a certain other system.

To be perfectly honest I see no reason at all to buy an OS4 system, actually I see only drawbacks so if it was me who was going to have something like that in my house it was me who should get paid. It's just a big lump without usefulness nor personal values, I could just as well slapped a sticker on a large rock and dragged it into the house.

BigD 
Posted on 11-May-2015 22:06:25
#400 ]
Elite Member

@Hillbillylitre

Quote:
To be perfectly honest I see no reason at all to buy an OS4 system, actually I see only drawbacks so if it was me who was going to have something like that in my house it was me who should get paid. It's just a big lump without usefulness nor personal values, I could just as well slapped a sticker on a large rock and dragged it into the house.

"It was me who should get paid", what the hell does that mean?!

Basically, either buy OS4.x hardware or don't but if not and you don't even have an interest then the question must be asked why do you care enough to tell an Amiga forum that you don't like Amiga NG hardware? Life's too short mate

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle