Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 177 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Matt3k:  26 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 amigasociety:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 21 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 45 mins ago
 number6:  4 hrs 51 mins ago
 Karlos:  5 hrs 26 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga PPC Linux
      /  Scrambled disk name NOT A PROBLEM
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
kilaueabart 
Re: Scrambled disk name
Posted on 25-Mar-2015 0:33:35
#21 ]
Cult Member

I thought my reply failed so I did it again. I see no way to just delete the old one.

Last edited by kilaueabart on 26-Mar-2015 at 12:18 AM.
Last edited by kilaueabart on 25-Mar-2015 at 12:45 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
kilaueabart 
Posted on 25-Mar-2015 0:43:01
#22 ]
Cult Member

@xeno74

Let me write down the commands I use this way:

http://bartssite.net/CFE.JPG

The ones with "/devs/sdb7" used to work, when that was where Ubuntu was installed.

After I fixed the typo in the last line it went through the same process as yesterday, but stopped for good at the "slow" something or other complaint window.

I assume I can still boot the DVD. I shall do so now, and attach that CFE.jpg to a post in the Hyperion forum. Maybe I can find out somehow while there what, if anything, is in /dev/sdb1.

That jpeg should also answer Signal's suspicion that I am leaving out quotation marks.

And now I am editing this from DVD Ubuntu.

Last edited by kilaueabart on 25-Mar-2015 at 01:48 AM.
Last edited by kilaueabart on 25-Mar-2015 at 12:46 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 25-Mar-2015 15:15:13
#23 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

Noticed something, you ere using single quotes in your setenv line, try uisng double quotes as that is the usual accepted standard. Should be left of enter key.

Also be careful of leaving USB sticks in any X1000 ports. It might have been fixed now but earlier kernels I tested kept breaking with VFS root block errors. The USB stick messed up the device layout and my /dev/sda was pushed elsewhere.

Signal 
Posted on 25-Mar-2015 20:11:46
#24 ]
Cult Member

Before making another suggestion I need to ask Xeno74 or any other Ubuntu user a question.

If you run the System Monitor and watch the SWAP usage, how hard do you have to push the computer before it starts using SWAP?

I can play a DVD, MP3, MIDI, while watching HTML5 video on internet and still only be using 20% of the installed 2GB RAM and no swap activity.

PS
I run 2 Mint 11 installs and only have one of them with a Swap partition.

Last edited by Signal on 25-Mar-2015 at 08:15 PM.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 26-Mar-2015 0:10:17
#25 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex
The instructions that came with the package use single quotes (to the left of the enter key) for outside quotes and double quotes for inside quotes. I'm sure there would be no harm in reversing that, but it has become a bit of a habit. But what the heck, I might as well give that a try.

Another thing I was thinking of trying: copy the kernel to a USB stick and try that instead of CF0:. But I'm not sure what I should change "boot ... usbdisk0: ..." to.

OK, I had that backwards. "usbdisk0:" is what I wanted to change "cf0:" to. But the experiment didn't quite work, bringing up the "not ELF-formatted" complaint I was getting with cf0: a few days ago.

While I was there, I booted cf0: again and got the same exciting frustrating result: the Ubuntu splash(?) screen comes up with the five blinking dots under some kind of symbol, then an alert:

"(!) The system is running in low-graphics mode
"Your screen, graphics card, and input device settings could not be detected correctly. You will need to configure these yourself"

Then I hit Enter which triggers the "OK" on the screen and leads to the "What would you like to do?" window. But presumably because there are two buttons on this one, "Cancel" and "OK," hitting Enter has no effect. It's back to the box's reset button.

Clearly I have Ubuntu slightly installed. It would be nice if there were a way to get from the DVD to the partial new disk installation. Maybe I could do that reconfiguration from it. It seems to me one was able to do that sort of thing with OS4 install disks but it was easy to see how to do it. I didn't see any kind of hints when I last ran the Ubuntu DVD.

Thanks for the USB advice. I don't believe I have ever left one in when I wasn't actually using it.

Last edited by kilaueabart on 26-Mar-2015 at 01:03 AM.
Last edited by kilaueabart on 26-Mar-2015 at 12:16 AM.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 26-Mar-2015 3:13:26
#26 ]
Cult Member

I'm double-posting here something I just did at Hyperion, just in case someone who knows the answer reads this group but not Hyperion X1000 Linux Only:

Rebooted DVD. Pleased to discover three devices in my Home Folder: NTSF, KINGSTON, and ubuntu. Clicked on the last, got two alerts:

"The folder contents could not be displayed You do not have permissions necessary ..."

"Unable to mount ubuntu DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.NotFound: The given volume was not found"

The next time I opened Home, "ubuntu" was not there.

This is one more sign that Ubuntu partly installed on /dev/sdb1/ before something went wrong. Other signs are the fact that it almost boots from CFE (ultimately quitting because it can't get out of "low graphics mode"), and the fact that GParted shows an 18.3 GB ext4 partition labeled "ubuntu" there (but the mount point if "/media/ubuntu" rather than the "/" I had asked for! But I am pleased to see that GParted calls the disk "ATA Hitachi" rather than "ATA iHathc i.").

Should I try reinstalling? Right over what's there, or reformat the partition first?

xeno74 
Posted on 26-Mar-2015 8:52:52
#27 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

Thank you for attaching the photo. Unfortunately you boot with the wrong command:

Quote:
boot -elf -noints -fatsf cf0:vmlinux-3.19

fatsf is wrong. You have to boot with fatfs. fs means file system.

Quote:
boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-3.19

Edit:

@Signal

I had the same results with 8GB RAM. Therefore I don't use swap partitions for my new Linux installations. I test ubuntu MATE 15.04 without swap.

Last edited by xeno74 on 26-Mar-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Signal 
Posted on 26-Mar-2015 14:22:11
#28 ]
Cult Member

@xeno74

Nice catch, fs-sf.

Quote:

I had the same results with 8GB RAM. Therefore I don't use swap partitions for my new Linux installations. I test ubuntu MATE 15.04 without swap.

Thanks Xeno.

@kilaueabart
Quote:

Below that three buttons (Format, Benchmark, SMART Data), and below those:
"Volumes" (gray rectangle with "ubuntu 20 GB ext4" in it, two smaller white rectangles with "Extended 4.0 GB" and "4.0 GB Sw... 4.0 GB" respectively. "Usage: Filesystem, Device: /dev/sdb1 / Partition Type: Linux (0x83), Partition Label: - / Partition Flags: -, Capacity: 20GB ... / Type: Ext4 (version 1.0), Available: - / Label: ubuntu, Mount Point: Not Mounted."

It looks like you have 1 primary partition and an extended partition with Swap on it. So that means you have partition 1...then 4, which is really 5 because it is within an extended partition. Keep it simple.

If you are going to re-install I suggest you first (or during install) use GParted to set up a single 20 GB partition and format to Ext4. Do not use a Swap partition.

If the Ubuntu installer suggests you make a Swap partition just tell it to continue without a Swap.

Just my 2p.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 26-Mar-2015 21:17:46
#29 ]
Cult Member

@Signal

Quote:
@xeno74]
Nice catch, fs-sf.

But he missed this line: Quote:
After I fixed the typo in the last line it went through the same process as yesterday, but stopped for good at the "slow" something or other complaint window.

I did set up the 20GB partition with GParted, but I did also set up a 4GB for SWAP. The installer must have added the extra 4GB partition on its own.

I guess the only thing to do is try it over from scratch when I find time. Or maybe I should buy a different version of Ubuntu? Or Debian? I used that for several years waiting for OS4 to get really usable.

OK, I did it, thanks to enough help from Signal and Xeno74 to overcome my SCD; I know have Ubuntu back. I tried to post this from Ubuntu, but Amigaworld rejected my password and then two my passwords that it sent me there! Fortunately the new one sent through Odyssey worked.

Before I shut Ubuntu down, I downloaded and extracted kernel-3.40 and copied it to cf0:. I look forward to seeing if I can boot with it.

Last edited by kilaueabart on 27-Mar-2015 at 02:24 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Mar-2015 14:47:42
#30 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

Quote:
The instructions that came with the package use single quotes (to the left of the enter key) for outside quotes and double quotes for inside quotes.

Ah okay then. My keyboard reminded me a shift is the difference between them.

Quote:
But I'm not sure what I should change "boot ... usbdisk0: ..." to.

You figured it out. I womder why the CF device doesn't follow suit? You'd think it would have been cfdisk.

Quote:
"(!) The system is running in low-graphics mode

I hate that. But better than no desktop at all. Usually from a problem configuring the monitor. Or corrupted files. Is this resolved?

Quote:
It would be nice if there were a way to get from the DVD to the partial new disk installation

You should be able see see it from a device menu. But I notice that the newer default Ubuntu desktops went backwards for some reason and are more user-unfriendly if you ask me. They have removed menus at the top and expect you to find things by "typing" into a search window. I like things to be in front of me where I can reach them with a click.

I've also read instlaling over the top can upgrade a system or fix up an existing system. After you back up your user data.

Examples:
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=reinstlaling+ubuntu

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Mar-2015 14:50:51
#31 ]
Elite Member

@xeno74

Quote:
fatsf is wrong. You have to boot with fatfs.

Yes I saw that, but when kilaueabart said there was a typo I assumed that was it, so didn't menmtion it.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 28-Mar-2015 2:55:13
#32 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex
The system I would have installed over the top on wasn't installed to the degree that there was anything to lose. I kicked it out and started again following suggestions from signal and XENO74. The new install was a success, as I tried to report by editing my first post in this thread, but the only thing that took was the change of title.

By the way, that low graphics mode never actually ran. A cold reboot was required each time I got that message. The new install knows how to do the graphics on my system, and it runs just fine on kernel-4.00 (that "kernel-3.40" was another SCD-induced typo).

Hypex 
Posted on 28-Mar-2015 14:58:41
#33 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

Well editing the OP should work okay, I've seen people do that before. But it does have a down side as people can miss the update. Doing an edit won't register as a new post on the front page. And if there is a new post about things being solved for example then it won't make sense for anyone famillar with the thread who jumps to the last post. At least that's my experience.

I've found lately that my Ubuntu has no sound. I don't know why, I'm sure I had sound, but no card is registering and Sound Settings only has a dummy!

So I decided to try kernel 3.19 to see if that fixes it. Currently running 3.5.7 early PW Ubuntu kernel. I ended up in the same situation as you. CFE said the ELF was bad! Not this again! So I'm attempting to copy and replace it in OS4. If that doesn't work I'll try my Mac.

You did mention your CF was not on USB, yes I'd forgot about that detail. I dont know if in that case a Dismount command will flush the drive. That tends to remove the device rather than remove the disk. There is DiskChange but still not exactly what we want. Why isn't there an Eject command!?

xeno74 
Posted on 28-Mar-2015 19:37:00
#34 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Please reformat the CF card with your Mac. I recommend to copy the kernel with the A-EON Live Remix DVD to the CF card.

Hypex 
Posted on 29-Mar-2015 16:32:36
#35 ]
Elite Member

@xeno74

Actually I failed to mention I use a USB stick. But I'm sick of reformatting it because of stupid CFE bugs.

Plus I only use it because of other stupid CFE bugs that stop Linux loading off HD.

I hope the X5000 doesn't have any UBoot UBugs.

Signal 
Posted on 29-Mar-2015 17:30:06
#36 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:

Plus I only use it because of other stupid CFE bugs that stop Linux loading off HD.

You can load Linux off of /dev/sdb1, your second SATA HD, or /dev/sdc1, the first PATA drive.
Just make a small msdos partition to hold the kernel (100MB or so) and use /dev/sdx2 as your root partition. When I do this I use FAT16 for that partition only.

Or... is that not that what your posting about

Hypex 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 1:47:24
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

Yes I was talking about that, well loading the kernel, really. So CFE can load it off a FAT HD volume? Okay so can a FAT volume be partitioned with MTB into an RDB disk? I have just one SATA HD hooked to my X1000.

xeno74 
Posted on 31-Mar-2015 8:11:11
#38 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@kilaueabart

So I decided to try kernel 3.19 to see if that fixes it. Currently running 3.5.7 early PW Ubuntu kernel. I ended up in the same situation as you. CFE said the ELF was bad! Not this again! So I'm attempting to copy and replace it in OS4. If that doesn't work I'll try my Mac.

I found a message about this topic in the Hyperion Linux X1000 forum.

Quote Tommysammy:

Quote:
Same here, when i use CrossDosFilesystem together with cfide.device.kmod, i can format the cf card and use it on my WB but then doesn`t boot with linux kernel. When i format the cf card with Fat32 on my Win7 system, i can use it for Linux kernel but then the cf card doesn`t work on my WB

Signal 
Posted on 31-Mar-2015 20:04:53
#39 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@Signal

Yes I was talking about that, well loading the kernel, really. So CFE can load it off a FAT HD volume? Okay so can a FAT volume be partitioned with MTB into an RDB disk? I have just one SATA HD hooked to my X1000.

You can setup a partition using MTB and then format it to FAT16 with GParted and see it from both AOS and Linux, but I do not believe CFE will find it and boot from it, unless it's the first partition.

I have always used a seperate HD for Linux. I play around too much to take a chance on wiping out both systems.

If you have a PATA drive it will work also, and should be ide1.0 and /dev/sdb under Linux.
Right now I Have a CF disk on a adapter plugged into the PATA connector. I formatted it to have a 200MB fat16 partition and the rest is EXT3. Because I have added a SATA drive since, it is /dev/sdc and is still ide1.0 for CFE.

The partition Type is W95 FAT32 (LBA) (0x0c) and FAT (16-bit version) formatted (Looking at it with Linux Disk Utility).

My boot arguments look like;

setenv bootargs 'root=/dev/sdc2'
boot -elf -noints -fatfs ide1.0:vmlinux-X.XX

In Dopus4 the FAT16 partition shows as SB0: and is readable, probably writable too.

Why FAT16? I have always had good luck using it between many systems. It is a bit slower, but for loading a kernel,,,,another second or 2 makes no difference to me.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle