Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 115 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

MickJT

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 MickJT:  3 mins ago
 pixie:  8 mins ago
 kiFla:  33 mins ago
 matthey:  34 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  51 mins ago
 Matt3k:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 Torque:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 Seiya:  2 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  i just realised something.....
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
PosterThread
paolone 
Re: i just realised something.....
Posted on 31-Mar-2015 10:26:55
#141 ]

@Raffaele

Quote:

It is a very pain in the ass due to tiny 4.5" screen and poor virtual keyboard response.
My Sony 17" crt monitor with OWB set at 1024 x 768 is better than any 5", 7" or 10" tablet screen even with HD feature 1280x720.

Your own experience with Android aren't worth to mention and totally irrelevant, since you're comparing the reliability of a 17" monitor with the one of a 4.5" one, with the former being realized on a computer station with a physical keyboard that does not need almost 50% of your screen size to let you type text in (like the latter). Moreover, if you're really typing in a long text on a mobile device... well... that's your problem.

Mobile devices are good for fast peeking into the web and fast communications with short messages. Had Dante Alighieri lived today, he wouldn't ever write his Comedy on a Samsung S2. He would definitely have used a computer, no matter the operating system installed onto it.

Moreover, you're talking about your personal own experince on the exactly same kind of telephone I owned for 12 months or so, in year 2013. It was a great smartphone, amazingly fast for the time (today it would be a little slower, due to fast adoption of heavier technologies on mobile device), but obviously it could not be considered the killer device for browsing the web. Once said so, I never had issues going back to the home position.

kind regards

Profile     Report this post  
Chris_Y 
Posted on 31-Mar-2015 10:56:05
#142 ]
Elite Member

@zzd10h

Quote:
Don't forget that we are certainly less than 300-400 actives OS4 users

More likely closer to 1000.

Either way, nobody's getting rich.

Massi 
Posted on 31-Mar-2015 11:05:39
#143 ]
Cult Member

@All

Perhaps it is not the right thread ... does it make sense to make a sort of census to make an "official" count of active people ... each OS could do the same ...

What do you think about it?

OlafS25 
Posted on 31-Mar-2015 11:24:51
#144 ]
Elite Member

@Massi

do you want to get depressed?

for commercial development there are not enough anyway. And many 68k users (as example) are not active on web anyway (I know that from attending meetings) so you get (at best) number of active users on web.

Raffaele 
Posted on 31-Mar-2015 13:03:51
#145 ]

@paolone

I don't see your point.

it is metalheart who said that mobile devices (cellphones, tablets) are better than his Amiga experience.

From my point of view and judging from my experience with smartphones, and navigating with tablet of my cousin who lives dorr next to my father (she has Samsung galaxy tab 2 -or 3, don't remember-, with a 10" screen and a recent version of android)...

...and I repeat myself: just to respond to metalheart...

Tablets and cellphones are totally cr+p.

Te lo dico pure in italiano... telefonini più o meno smart e tavolette belle e care, e via cantando, sono tutti UNA CAGATA PAZZESCA...

translation: */
I can say it in italian too: smurfphones and "tile of the roof" tablets are just totally cr*p!/*

These devices are overpriced in percent more than any Amiga NG

(a 199 euro tablet should cost 69 euro in my opinion,..

...It is like you priced a SAM motherboard 1200 Euro or Amiga X1000 on a price level of 3500 euro to make a comparison of price/performance of what a tablet offers),

and REMEMBER the only purpose of these simple devices is write some stupid things on facebook profiles, play very easy bimbo-level games as entertainmeny, make some emailing and social networking and see videos on youtube.

It is incredible people spend their money for playing Angrybirds on their €249 tablet!

if there was an AmigaOS based tablet costing €249 it could had offered an entertaining experience dozens times better than any angrybird or candycrush JUST OFFERING RETROGAMES, as these Android games are at the lowest level of develpment for any software house. REALLY!

To end my discussion these devices are just sustained by the market for a purpose only: "Because they are just profit".

As I said, these are ovrepriced (MORE they can't even be upgraded), so they grant a big renevue to manufacturers and resellers and have short operational life because are throwaway devices.

You must buy one after another in lesser than 2 or 3 years as they became immediately obsolete.

It is a no-no for the budget of the users, and for ecology of planet. Tablets are just a pure profit for not rational capitalism, uncapable to create a green economy, and WORSE a bad capitalism market that requires a continue renew of devices to keep artificially alive a market else doomed to stagnation.

And It seems to me that you are caught in this downward spiral, as you stated you used your Samsung SII only for one year then you changed it as you considered it obsolete.

Well after 3 years i can still use mine with profit, as I earned how to keep still operational old hardware.

And Duh!

[i open parentheses here]

Coincidentally I learned howto just from Amiga.

[parentheses closed]

So please, don't try to make advocacy of tablets or android tablets, or Apple tablets because you are supporter of these devices for they are aimed at your development job.

You just pummel your fists and your head on a wall then. These smartphones and tablets thingies devices are nothing than thin air in my opinion of consumer able to discern.

Last edited by Raffaele on 31-Mar-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 31-Mar-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 31-Mar-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 31-Mar-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 31-Mar-2015 at 01:05 PM.

Metalheart 
Posted on 31-Mar-2015 15:48:43
#146 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Maybe you should read my initial post again.

My point was that I find it easier to grab my tablet or phone to do some internet surfing.
Not just because of the speed of my SAM and boot time but also features missing and sluggishness of Odyssey on some(or perhaps most) sites.
Also I tend to power up my WinPC to do other tasks because of more capable applications and yes, better overall performance.

And yes, I agree that those keyboard things on phones and tablets are crap

Thats all, really......

Cheers....

That as soon as you're born you're dying

Massi 
Posted on 31-Mar-2015 18:14:15
#147 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
do you want to get depressed?

It is not many times that I agree with you but this time YES you are right

Massi 
Posted on 31-Mar-2015 19:09:37
#148 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele

Good to take a selfie and instantly have it posted on social media to make the followers happy

Average use of smartphones here in Italy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle