Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 136 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  3 mins ago
 OlafS25:  29 mins ago
 amigakit:  35 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 Rassilon:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 Ratta:  2 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Which is best?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Poll : What Amiga (like) OS is best?
AROS
OS 4.x
Classic (1.x-3.x)
MorphOS

PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: Which is best?
Posted on 28-Apr-2015 16:48:12
#61 ]
Elite Member

@jacadcaps

Quote:
I vote for pancakes!

Best choice so far!

Profile     Report this post  
Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 28-Apr-2015 17:12:48
#62 ]

@jPV

Quote:
BTW. if you remove Trance, you still can run classic Amiga's PPC (PUP/WOS) software ;)

Not that there's anything particularly interesting for PPC Amiga, nowadays when the entire software market has moved on to phones, X86 PCs and game consoles... well, that actually started to happen twenty years ago and are many generations ahead on every point now.

But not everything works on PPC socalled NG Amigas, all those very few Amiga PPC demos which is perhaps the only unique software for PPC Amigas, this demo doesn't work on imginary Amigas but it works fine here though on my real Amiga...

http://ada.untergrund.net/?p=demo&i=169

Using: One Commodore C64 - One Commodore Amiga 500 - One Commodore Amiga 1200 with BVision and Blizzard 68060 with PPC coprocessor running Amiga DOS - One Hellbillylitre Amigatwox86x64x6000x running Windows7

jPV 
Posted on 28-Apr-2015 17:26:02
#63 ]
Cult Member

@Hillbillylitre

Quote:

Hillbillylitre wrote:
@jPV

Quote:
BTW. if you remove Trance, you still can run classic Amiga's PPC (PUP/WOS) software ;)

Not that there's anything particularly interesting for PPC Amiga, nowadays when the entire software market has moved on to phones, X86 PCs and game consoles... well, that actually started to happen twenty years ago and are many generations ahead on every point now.

This wasn't the point of the original question, but yeah I agree, and that's why we are lucky to have these next generation amigas like MorphOS and OS4. It really would be a bad situation to have stuck on classic PPC, or even 68k.

With next generation machines we're pretty close to mainstream with almost up-to-date browser engines, movie players etc. Actually amiga hasn't been this close to the mainstream since 80s.

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 28-Apr-2015 18:01:34
#64 ]

Quote:
With next generation machines we're pretty close to mainstream with almost up-to-date browser engines, movie players etc. Actually amiga hasn't been this close to the mainstream since 80s.

Well yes close to mainstream... except OS, hardware, support and price. TVs, satellite tuners, DVD/blu-ray players, GPS, game consoles, phones and anything that has or can be connected to a screen nowadays has multimedia players and browsers. My new phone didn't support a certain file format so it was just to install VLC player and everything plays fine.

I'm no expert but if something should be done I think it should be done right.

Using: One Commodore C64 - One Commodore Amiga 500 - One Commodore Amiga 1200 with BVision and Blizzard 68060 with PPC coprocessor running Amiga DOS - One Hellbillylitre Amigatwox86x64x6000x running Windows7

jPV 
Posted on 28-Apr-2015 18:33:45
#65 ]
Cult Member

@Hillbillylitre

Quote:

Hillbillylitre wrote:
Quote:

Well yes close to mainstream... except OS, hardware, support and price. TVs, satellite tuners, DVD/blu-ray players, GPS, game consoles, phones and anything that has or can be connected to a screen nowadays has multimedia players and browsers. My new phone didn't support a certain file format so it was just to install VLC player and everything plays fine.

I'm no expert but if something should be done I think it should be done right.

Well.. it's hard to stand out nowadays technically, as you said everything does everything now. But does it have to be a problem? Isn't it good that there's option for everyone. We want to use Amiga system with our loved OS structure etc, and we can! We should take everything out of that because we can too.

It's awesome to be close to mainstream, and so what if all other devices do that too? If phone can install VLC, so can amiga compatible OS install MPlayer or VLC too, isn't that marvellous! It's same for all systems. Windows isn't that much different from toasters either. I think it's unrealistic to expect _any_ system to suddenly became that much better than others, that it would dominate alone. Even Microsoft can't do that anymore with its resources. World has changed more versatile and we can't change it.

Last edited by jPV on 28-Apr-2015 at 06:34 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 28-Apr-2015 19:24:25
#66 ]
Elite Member

@Hillbillylitre

Quote:
And by the way how is 1080p running on AOS4, can you use HW acceleration trough the GFX card like on modern OSes?

We can do the YUV420 / YUV422 to RGB32 bit conversion using the GPU. The video decoding process is something the CPU has to do, thanks to Hans for driver support; I have spent time on implementing that into Mplayer video output.

I have enabled DRI in the latest video output routines; this enabled video decoder routines to render directly into the double / triple buffer of video output, skipping moving the data from decoder to the video output using slices. (like X-Video does for Linux.)

Video scaling can be done by the GPU.

Video decoding can't not yet be done by the GPU, someone has to investigate AVAPI, UVD/VAPAU.

We have asked feanor to AltiVec optimize the video decoders in FFMPEG. The result from that has not been seen yet.

So I guess the answer to you questions, is that something can be done on the GPU, like scaling the video, converting the yuv picture data. Everything else is CPU driven thing for now.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 28-Apr-2015 at 07:32 PM.

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 28-Apr-2015 19:35:26
#67 ]

Its nice to see what can be done on old limited hardware like good old Commodore Amiga computers, but to see new hardware not able to get utilized because of a old OS is not exactly very nice.

To run a Amiga like OS on dumpsterdived single cored 32bit PPC CPU machines can be ok, but to put in a new graphics card or CPU the operating system can not use more than a few percentages of is just ridiculous or annoying to watch.

Last edited by Hillbillylitre on 28-Apr-2015 at 07:38 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 28-Apr-2015 20:42:46
#68 ]
Elite Member

@Hillbillylitre

Quote:
Its nice to see what can be done on old limited hardware like good old Commodore Amiga computers, but to see new hardware not able to get utilized because of a old OS is not exactly very nice.

I think in the first case it's about how you can make the best of what you have. In the other case it's about what can be done with limitation of the OS to improve on it.

So it sort of the same challenge from different angle. (HW angle or the SW angle)

Quote:
To run a Amiga like OS on dumpsterdived single cored 32bit PPC CPU machines can be ok, but to put in a new graphics card or CPU the operating system can not use more than a few percentages of is just ridiculous or annoying to watch.

There is not a question of if the egg or the chicken comes first; you can't write software if there is no hardware.

For the most part its not the OS that is too old, and API's are outdated. The problem is there is big holes that needs to filled with something. I guess.

If you look for hardware at dumpster, you need to find hardware that is already old when you get it, by the time your finishing writing drivers for the dumpster dived hardware, the hardware standards is no longer in use, and item has become rear. You have to go into rear antique shops and auction to find hardware you need, paying many times its original value of the hardware when the hardware was new and common. Nostalgia can be expensive hobby. Besides, you might end up with hardware that needs repair, or is out preformed by newer standards.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2939440/Surfer-duped-eBay-scam-selling-board-help-buy-300-laptop-sent-photograph-computer.html

Something you often see on roads, are quick fixes, some company fills in a hole in the road, and year after the hole in the road is back, way does that happen, well the quality of martial used to fix problems was of low quality, maybe recycled old road martial, and so it did not last long.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Apr-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Apr-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Apr-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Apr-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Apr-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Apr-2015 at 06:56 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 28-Apr-2015 23:51:00
#69 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Seriously, Amigaworld.net is down for a whole day and you want to argue over which flavour of Amiga-like OSes is the best

GET A LIFE! Either use an Amiga-like OS or don't. 10,000 people will likely die from the Nepalese Earthquake. Let's discuss whether the destruction of a handful of thousand year old Buddhist idols really matters that much in the midst of such a precious waste of human life! But let's not waste another page arguing about what minority OS you consider better than some other minority OS.

If you like your choice of OS great!!!
If you don't like it how about trying a different flavour, or use Windoze like every average citizen who doesn't give it a second thought

ilbarbax 
Posted on 29-Apr-2015 7:45:44
#70 ]

No voting!

It would be worth to repeat the same pool on Morpzone, ArosExec and Amiga.org and then average the results.

cha05e90 
Posted on 29-Apr-2015 14:39:15
#71 ]

@ilbarbax

...what about A1k.org, Amigans.net, EAB?

Valiant 
Posted on 9-Aug-2015 5:57:36
#72 ]

@ilbarbax

Quote:

ilbarbax wrote:
No voting!

It would be worth to repeat the same pool on Morpzone, ArosExec and Amiga.org and then average the results.

Why? We have users from all systems on this website...

Amiga 1000; Amiga 2000; Amiga 3000T; CD-TV; CD32;
AmigaOne-XE 800Mhz G4;Sam400ep 666Mhz;
AmigaOne X-1000 1.8Ghz PA6T-1682M

OlafS25 
Posted on 9-Aug-2015 8:55:01
#73 ]
Elite Member

@A1200

really? The final battle? You think MorphOS or Aros user or the vast 1.X-3.X crowd will surrender if 4.X get most votes and all drop their choice in favor of 4.X then? I have slightly doubts

OlafS25 
Posted on 9-Aug-2015 8:58:16
#74 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

the Aros environment I use feels very amiga because I have optimized it to do so :)

scarrabri 
Posted on 9-Aug-2015 10:55:28
#75 ]

@A1200
There is only one true OS and thats the AOS.3.X

pavlor 
Posted on 9-Aug-2015 11:02:34
#76 ]
Elite Member

@scarrabri

Quote:

1.x forever!

Trixie 
Posted on 9-Aug-2015 11:51:13
#77 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@scarrabri

Quote:

Yes, plus there is only one true pair of boxer shorts and that's yours.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

kolla 
Posted on 9-Aug-2015 12:14:06
#78 ]
Elite Member

@scarrabri

Quote:

scarrabri wrote:

Workbench 3.X you mean?

http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/15-107

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 9-Aug-2015 12:32:38
#79 ]

Hmmmm... Seems like one of my four brothers have posted in this thread. We are very alike, even share the same IP sometimes.

broadblues 
Posted on 9-Aug-2015 12:46:18
#80 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@LimoU.Sin

Since you seem to want to by that leading statement, I reported you for being an account setup to avoid a ban.....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle