Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 103 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  12 mins ago
 clint:  26 mins ago
 OlafS25:  27 mins ago
 Allanon:  29 mins ago
 dreamlandfantasy:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 cip060:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 amigatronics:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  2 hrs 58 mins ago
 pavlor:  3 hrs 47 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  MorphOS Software
      /  Morphos X86
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Kronos 
Re: Morphos X86
Posted on 21-May-2015 21:14:59
#61 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

On machines with >1.5GB you get about 50MB more RAM than on those with exactly 1.5GB (last gen iBook and Quicksilvers max out at 1.5)

Addressspace between 1.5 and 2GB is reserved for components (mostly the GFX-card).

A more flexible approach might be possible (pushing Quark beyond 2GB, only reserving so much for GFX as really used), but it wouldn't gain you more than 250MB and it seems noone considers this a worthwhile adventure.

Edit:
Actually I did a bit of x86 coding in the mid 90s and yeah you were still expected to juggle 64k segments

Last edited by Kronos on 21-May-2015 at 09:17 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
cdimauro 
Posted on 21-May-2015 21:20:30
#62 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
@cdimauro

On machines with >1.5GB you get about 50MB more RAM than on those with exactly 1.5GB (last gen iBook and Quicksilvers max out at 1.5)

Addressspace between 1.5 and 2GB is reserved for components (mostly the GFX-card).

Is it possible to move such components to >2GB addresses?
Quote:
A more flexible approach might be possible (pushing Quark beyond 2GB, only reserving so much for GFX as really used),

That was exactly my idea.
Quote:
but it wouldn't gain you more than 250MB and it seems noone considers this a worthwhile adventure.

Amen. Better focus to a 64-bit o.s. then.
Quote:
Edit:
Actually I did a bit of x86 coding in the mid 90s and yeah you were still expected to juggle 64k segments

I did also and I took care of 64KB segments too.

But that's because I used Turbo Pascal (Turbo C a few times), and... no DOS Extender. )

Kronos 
Posted on 21-May-2015 21:46:44
#63 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Moving anthing that might get accesed by DOS beyond 2GB sounds like a desaster waiting to happen.
Doing it with GFX card shoul work and would not only get nearer to 2GB of RAM but would also be helpfull for cards with more than 256MB.

cdimauro 
Posted on 21-May-2015 21:54:03
#64 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos: exactly. Nowadays video cards with 2 or more GB of memory are very common, and it's unacceptable that the o.s. can only use a little part of them because of the global 2GB limit.

Another thing which I was thinking about from a long time is a RAM: device which has a fixed size and uses all remaining memory.

Other option is having a RAD: for part of the system files, leaving the rest for the above RAM:.

itix 
Posted on 21-May-2015 22:04:36
#65 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

I think VRAM is already in > 2 GB address space and IO, too. Cant check now, though.

kamelito 
Posted on 21-May-2015 22:58:26
#66 ]
Cult Member

@itix

Is there a kind of memory map showing the 2GB limitation of RAM?

PCI space, kernel, memory buffers, video buffer, I/O, what else?

Kamelito

Last edited by kamelit0 on 21-May-2015 at 11:00 PM.

kolla 
Posted on 22-May-2015 1:12:07
#67 ]
Elite Member

@Chain-Q

Does the Wireless Manager support "WPA2 Enterprise", aka 802.1x etc? It is something any student would want, to hook their laptops to eduroam (http:/www.eduroam.org).

fishy_fis 
Posted on 22-May-2015 2:51:06
#68 ]
Elite Member

Not to get drawn into any "vs." crap here, both MOS and AROS have advantages vs. each other, but c'mon? Does whoever said it really expect AROS has only 83 (or less) systems supported natively? That's crazy talk

While it doesn't have Windows, or Linux level support it is supported by quite a few chipsets spanning 20 or so years (for x86 and x86-64 alone).
Number of supported systems would span into the thousands. From 486 systems through to i7's.

Raffaele 
Posted on 22-May-2015 8:21:42
#69 ]

@Thread

More or less topics that I said to naysayers in arc of years.

Naysayers people argue that it is impossible for a small team success to port MorphOS on any X86 architecture as there were dozillions of motherboards and graphic card to support with reliable drivers.

I answered that instead it is quite simple if team decide to support only one motherboard architecture and family of graphic cards and then expand in the future.

That is more or less what Apple does with their hardware. They support with drivers only their motherboards and are stick to ATI graphic cards drivers, in order to have a stable and reliable platform OS without the hassle of support any kind of X86 architecture.
Well for Apple it is even more simple as they must just make drivers for their own hardware and should concentrate efforts on graphic cards drivers only.

ASiegel 
Posted on 22-May-2015 11:12:39
#70 ]

@fishy_fis

Quote:
Does whoever said it really expect AROS has only 83 (or less) systems supported natively? That's crazy talk

There is a difference between "getting something to boot somehow" and "using an officially supported system."

The MorphOS development team maintains a public list of specific systems that are considered to be compatible to MorphOS. The team officially commits to maintain compatibility for these target systems with every new release and aims to fix newly introduced incompatibilites if any are found.

With AROS, there is a system compatibility list on Wikibooks but, based on its revision history, it is not necessarily as well maintained as it could be. While the list is quite long, numerous entries refer to various degrees of incompabilities and quite a few refer to tests made with years old AROS distributions, which are hardly reliable indicators as far as more recent versions of AROS are concerned.

So, unless more effort is put into keeping its hardware compatibility lists current and complete, you can hardly blame interested parties for remaining confused regarding what specifc computing systems would be suitable for running AROS without too many restrictions.

jacadcaps 
Posted on 22-May-2015 11:41:58
#71 ]

@kolla

It should but there's no GUI - you'd have to edit the config yourself, best by copypasting it from linux (since this is a regular wpa_supplicant config file)

edit:typo

Last edited by jacadcaps on 22-May-2015 at 11:42 AM.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 22-May-2015 11:51:49
#72 ]

@ASiegel
? Who needs a list?
Check if the board has a hdaudio and a compatible Realtek nic and you are done.
Why would i do the opposite?

Ok maybe it is too tough to check the details at a online retailer who knows.
But I do it that way.

EDIT:
All you need to know regarding Network:
http://www.amiga-news.de/de/news/AN-2009-11-00060-DE.html

all you need to know regarding Audio:
http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=90908#forumpost90908

This is the "GOD-mode combination" because they are used together on billions of Mainboards.

Current gen is moving along so you Need to check 1150 sockets or earlier sockets or AMD stuff.

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 22-May-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 22-May-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 22-May-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 22-May-2015 at 12:13 PM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 22-May-2015 13:25:10
#73 ]
Elite Member

ooops... accidentaly destroyed my own post... and it's only monday ....

Interesting week ahead for me it seems...

Last edited by KimmoK on 25-May-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 25-May-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 22-May-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 22-May-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 22-May-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 22-May-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 22-May-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 22-May-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 22-May-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 22-May-2015 at 01:25 PM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

cdimauro 
Posted on 22-May-2015 20:37:56
#74 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:
IIRC, AROS releases come on a DVD image rather than on a CD image. So, one should never ever try to get it running natively on pre-DVD era x86 HW (unless looking for trouble).
(I have swapped from CD to DVD on some old P4 HW, just to see that it was futile)

It's Icaros which is available as a DVD image, but there's also a light version as a CD image.

AROS, itself, requires much less space. Take a look at the native versions for x86 and x64, here.
Quote:
@cdimauro

IIRC, AOS4.1 can now have RAM drive to use memory above 2GB via ext mem. Just needs modified/updated ram drive handler (or something). Surely similar could be done for MorphOS if the need is big enough.

Please, keep such horrible bank switching hack out of a modern o.s..

It's possible to use memory >2GB, even >4GB, without requiring it. At least for system related stuff (included RAM:, RAD:, and possibly some memory for filesystem blocks caching).

pavlor 
Posted on 22-May-2015 20:47:09
#75 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
It's possible to use memory >2GB, even >4GB, without requiring it.

Sounds good! I´m so tempted to see your solution...

Quote:
At least for system related stuff (included RAM:, RAD:, and possibly some memory for filesystem blocks caching).

...well, you really think this above is more useful than bank switching?

cdimauro 
Posted on 22-May-2015 21:43:27
#76 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
It's possible to use memory >2GB, even >4GB, without requiring it.

Sounds good! I´m so tempted to see your solution...

I don't lose my time trying to improve an archaic system. 64 bit processors existed from a LOOOONG time: just use one of them instead of emulating an 8-bit processor.
Quote:
Quote:
At least for system related stuff (included RAM:, RAD:, and possibly some memory for filesystem blocks caching).

...well, you really think this above is more useful than bank switching?

Yes. You don't need to introduce new APIs to force the software work like an 8-bit processor, because all the things that I cited can be internally and transparently handled by the o.s., freeing memory.

New APIs also means:
- effort to the o.s. devs to write them;
- effort to the applications devs to use them;
- a legacy baggage that you will bring when/if you decide to go to the a real 64-bit platform.

AROS is already available a real 64-bit platform. MorphOS will take the same direction. Guess who is missing from the obvious "next step"...

fishy_fis 
Posted on 22-May-2015 22:27:44
#77 ]
Elite Member

@ASiegel

There are no "officially supported" machines, and Im talking machines with full support, not just machines that boot, or partially boot.
There's about 2 dozen systems between ASUS eeepc and AspireOnes alone. Literally hundreds of systems with a p35/ich7/8/9/10 combo chipset (very well supported). Compaq Presario v6xxx is also well supported in its various models......
This is a few hundred options already, without even looking or scratching the surface.
I must agree though that the information regarding hardware support is a bit all over the place. I might try to find time to help with tidying it up a bit myself actually. Given my experience with AROS and the volume of hardware I come across (my own and otherwise) I'm probably a reasonable choice for such an endeavour.

@Kimmok

Seems you've had bad luck then. Of the dozen machines I currently have, not one fails to work. All varying specs up unto my 3.7ghz i7+gf580gtx. My i5-760+gf 560ti also works great, as does my 4.1ghz core2duo+gf9600gt. Laptop wise the 2.4ghz athlon64/gf7300 Compaq Presario works nicely (although its a bit slow these days, but that's probably perspective more than anything). Having said this though, I do seem to have been unusually lucky with my AROS hardware experiences over the years, and purchases are based on having tested it on a lot of hardware, so it's not all dumb luck.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 23-May-2015 at 01:07 AM.

pavlor 
Posted on 22-May-2015 22:44:21
#78 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
because all the things that I cited can be internally and transparently handled by the o.s., freeing memory.

Things like RAM and RAD disk? Surprising progress.

Quote:
AROS is already available a real 64-bit platform.

Nobody is using it, guess why...

Quote:
MorphOS will take the same direction.

In 2050, day after Hyperion introduces SMP.

terminills 
Posted on 23-May-2015 0:37:52
#79 ]
AROS Core Developer

@pavlor

I use the 64 bit branch :P

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

kolla 
Posted on 23-May-2015 6:48:37
#80 ]
Elite Member

@jacadcaps

Well, wpa_supplicant must also be compiled with the needed support and somehow linked to SSL libraries, since it is required to validate IdP certificate and create a TLS connection of some sort for passing on credentials (many methods supported)

Last edited by kolla on 23-May-2015 at 06:49 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle