Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 133 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kriz

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kriz:  4 mins ago
 Hammer:  5 mins ago
 Hypex:  6 mins ago
 Torque:  11 mins ago
 clint:  12 mins ago
 klx300r:  13 mins ago
 OlafS25:  23 mins ago
 bhabbott:  43 mins ago
 kiFla:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  New Amiga hardware idea
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
wawa 
Re: New Amiga hardware idea
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 13:09:06
#141 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

Quote:
So now you tell me what I think. Since you beleive that you can read my mind perhaps you can tell me what I'm thinking of you right now?

i dont read your mind. you speak it out yourself, quite openly, about how dreams and ideas is the right thing, and who has it and who not. thats all im basing my comments on: the content of your posts. on the other hand, judging by truly amazing amount of information about my mental state you have posted above you must actually read in my mind yourself.

Profile     Report this post  
olegil 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 13:51:07
#142 ]
Elite Member

@wawa & hotrod

"I know you are, but what am I".

Awww. That's so cute. Your mothers must be very proud of their kids having reached the mental state of 5 year olds.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Leo 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 14:34:40
#143 ]

Quote:

Funny but if you try to sell games, some people are showing up and want money for it.

First you contact game publishers/authors, then you agree with a fee to include some of their games, then you bundle games with your hardware.

Of course they will want money.

If you don't find any developer/publisher, then you don't start your project (lots of Amiga hardware projects started even before having software... and failed because they could not get any licence).

But if that's the case maybe they aren't interested because your project is not solid enough.

Quote:

So all problems solved and it is just a matter of time until someone starts a production of your Omega with pre-installed Demos and Freeware.

Omega sucks, why chosing a name close to "Amiga" ? Since it won't be an Amiga anyway...

Quote:

IMR there where some Amiga realated Kickstarter projects that tried to do this and most of them did not lead to a mass product.

Didn't see any project like this one on kickstarter. Only saw some "Amiga disk drive" stuff which was simply ugly and unprofessional. Maybe that's the reason most of them fail ?

Or maybe they were trying to do too much at the same time (ie: be a real Amiga,..). What I have in mind would only allow to play some oldschool games, and do it well, no more, no less.

C64DTV was a professional project, maybe that's why it sold that much.

Last edited by Leo on 10-Aug-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Last edited by Leo on 10-Aug-2015 at 02:36 PM.

hotrod 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 14:39:18
#144 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

She died 2 years ago so I can't ask her but as far as I know, yes she was.

It's funny with insults ay... so... you're always talk about hardware.... talk talk talk... when it comes to dreams, fantasies and so on that wawa likes to complain about you seem to have a few of those as well.

Anyhow... by throwing in insults you lowered your mental status yourself at that very moment. Congrats Mr Smart

Trixie 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 14:54:08
#145 ]
Amiga Developer Team

Guys, that really is enough! Quit that please.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Boot_WB 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 15:36:09
#146 ]

@Trixie

..but...but... HE STARTED IT!!!!

Your mean. I'm going to my room.

/slam

kolla 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 15:53:42
#147 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@hotrod

Quote:
I like clever comments like this one. So you know your history well, maybe it's time to stop living in the past then and come with some suggestions for the future?

i dont think its anybody duty to spam forums with their private fantasies that will have no effect anyway.

Isn't that the purpose of these sites?

damocles 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 16:01:10
#148 ]

@KimmoK

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:
@damocles

>Here is a novel idea, how about porting OS4 to existing hardware that is already selling in the millions of units and still in production?

R&D department has hard time in building support for one CPU model + motherboard + GPU. I'm 100% sure they can not support many x86 motherboards & CPU & GPU either.

It appears AROS runs well on many x86 motherboards. All they would do is find a decent mobo they can easily support and buy 1K units. By the time they run out, they should have the follow on mobo drivers worked out. At worst using the A1X1K as an example, it's taken them how many years to burn through roughly 500 units? CPU supplies will remain steady for years as will a supported gfx card.

Quote:
So, what x86 motherboard has sold in the millions and is still in production?
I bet there is not such thing.

First I never said it had to be x86. Second, Apple sells about 1.3 million x86 systems @ month as an example. The more popular motherboards by well known brands are more then likely hitting million unit sales per year of their more popular mobo models. Then if you look at the x86 console sales, those models are hitting 10M @ year. Then there is ARM and prime example of a mobo selling in the millions is Raspberry Pi series. There is no reason why OS4 can't be ported over to a well known mobo that has sold in the millions and still in production and most importantly, will have supplies of the motherboard for years to come.

Quote:
Other than that....

We can not port OS4 or MorphOS as they are commercial OSs.

I'm not talking about MOS, just OS4 being ported over.

Quote:
It's cheaper to develop a new PPC system for open source OSs and hope to get MOS or AOS for it.
(or just be with AROS on x86)

So spending .5M on developing a PPC system which will have a high cost plus the cost of OS4 being ported to that new PPC system is cheaper then spending .5M on porting OS4 to a well known and low cost mobo? Is that what you are telling me?

number6 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 18:20:46
#149 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:
There is no reason why OS4 can't be ported over to a well known mobo that has sold in the millions and still in production and most importantly, will have supplies of the motherboard for years to come.

Apologies in advance for mentioning this since everyone enjoys the word "lawyers" so much:

Your statement could be correct technically, but contractually?

cdimauro 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 20:17:44
#150 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:
@damocles

>Here is a novel idea, how about porting OS4 to existing hardware that is already selling in the millions of units and still in production?

R&D department has hard time in building support for one CPU model + motherboard + GPU. I'm 100% sure they can not support many x86 motherboards & CPU & GPU either.

So, what x86 motherboard has sold in the millions and is still in production?
I bet there is not such thing.

Why do you care about motherboards? There are STANDARDS to handle hard disks, mouses, keyboards (peripherals in general), audio, video.

thinkchip 
Posted on 11-Aug-2015 15:07:11
#151 ]

@Chris_Y

This could be what Chris has in mind. Imagine this with OS 4.2 instead of Windows. It has a variety of ports in back, HDMI being the primary video output. Now could be a good time to introduce unconventional format PC's because a lot of people don't know what a computer is supposed to look like. Sorry I couldn't get the whole web site. Search for Asus VivoPC.

Asus VivoPC

Kronos 
Posted on 11-Aug-2015 16:35:19
#152 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

A black (and ugly) MacMini.

Now thats a novel idea !!!

hotrod 
Posted on 11-Aug-2015 16:41:40
#153 ]
Elite Member

Wow... what a damage a small group of psychos can do...

damocles 
Posted on 11-Aug-2015 16:55:18
#154 ]

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@damocles

Quote:
There is no reason why OS4 can't be ported over to a well known mobo that has sold in the millions and still in production and most importantly, will have supplies of the motherboard for years to come.

Apologies in advance for mentioning this since everyone enjoys the word "lawyers" so much:

Your statement could be correct technically, but contractually?

I could have sworn HyperionMP said that was not a factor for OS4.

number6 
Posted on 17-Aug-2015 13:15:18
#155 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:

Semantics again?

He was speaking about the freedom to port to any h/w they wish to, as a result of the settlement agreement with Amiga Inc..
Regardless of whether you believe that, I was referring to a different contract.

Based on A-Eon V1 out of Belgium, my question would be whether Hyperion could arbitrarily compete with current A-Eon by porting to this existing h/w of which we speak. Secondarily if even that was the case, would there still be a priority contractually to current A-Eon h/w.
Frankly, we have no idea what might be in the paperwork after A-Eon re-organized without HyperionMP, so it's just conjecture.

By Hyperion saying publically they would not support winuae PPC, you could argue there is such a clause. Although those who take all company statements at their face value would still claim it's due to inability to support such a project, as stated.

Source

Last edited by number6 on 17-Aug-2015 at 01:20 PM.

damocles 
Posted on 17-Aug-2015 13:31:27
#156 ]

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@damocles

Quote:

Semantics again?

He was speaking about the freedom to port to any h/w they wish to, as a result of the settlement agreement with Amiga Inc..
Regardless of whether you believe that, I was referring to a different contract.

Based on A-Eon V1 out of Belgium, my question would be whether Hyperion could arbitrarily compete with current A-Eon by porting to this existing h/w of which we speak. Secondarily if even that was the case, would there still be a priority contractually to current A-Eon h/w.
Frankly, we have no idea what might be in the paperwork after A-Eon re-organized without HyperionMP, so it's just conjecture.

By Hyperion saying publically they would not support winuae PPC, you could argue there is such a clause. Although those who take all company statements at their face value would still claim it's due to inability to support such a project, as stated.

Source

For this argument, I can only see a port happening to new arch-hardware is with not only Aeon's blessing, but funding as well. At this stage of the game, I highly doubt Hyperion has the cash reserves to pay for a port to new arch-hardware. Do they have the talent left to achieve such a port, is another question entirely.

KimmoK 
Posted on 17-Aug-2015 13:39:17
#157 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

>Why do you care about motherboards?

Because every motherboard is different. For example MorphOS team plans to support only one x64 motherboard. It's telling.

>There are STANDARDS to handle hard disks, mouses, keyboards (peripherals in general), audio, video.

So, no drivers needed any more. GPU & motherboard manufacturers are idiots because they ship drivers for their video and mb offerings.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Aug-2015 13:46:56
#158 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

the main problem is to get a board with all components (including Wifi and so on) full supported. Even Linux struggles there and for obvious reasons situation for our small niche OSs is much worse

KimmoK 
Posted on 17-Aug-2015 13:52:20
#159 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

>First I never said it had to be x86.

There is no other sane option than x64. MorphOS team know it.

>All they would do is find a decent mobo they can easily support and buy 1K units.

That is the way to do it.

>The more popular motherboards by well known brands are more then likely hitting million unit sales per year of their more popular mobo models.

To my understanding, most motherboards are in production for 3 months or so.
Then there are special more expensive versions that are produced for longer periode.

So I still bet (not much) that "millions sold + in production" is hard to find.

(apple and game consoles are expensive and out of question, you know it)

>So spending .5M on developing a PPC system which will have a high cost plus

I would try spending on developing a PPC system that does not cost more than low end x64.

btw, where did that .5M come from?
But I think RPi R&D cost can be kept as rough reference for designing simple PPC board.

>the cost of OS4 being ported to that new PPC system is cheaper then spending .5M on porting OS4 to a well known and low cost mobo?

I would like to see existing SW issues taken care of before ISA change. EUR200 PPC computer system can be made. 64bit, Gallium3D, SMP/AMP, MP etc can be done on that.

To get more fans to buy HIGH QUALITY (things just work) niche systems I see a few ways:

For affordable + available LOW END HW with maximum driver support.

A) on PPC/ARM/x64
-pick up powerfull enough components that can surely be 100% supported
-build prototype setup and do the driver work
-fine tune drivers to "in production" board or produce your own board
-use & produce board as long as needed etc.
-do again, one day

B) on x64, off the self
-select powerfull enough motherboard that can surely be well supported
-do the driver work
-buy enough motherboards to full fill the demand for a year or two
-after two years do it again

C)
-run hosted but doubt it's high quality experience since I have not seen nice Win/Linux "host" ever.

But as said ... as long as users do not control NG OSs one can only try via PPC route or go AROS or WinUAE.

Last edited by KimmoK on 17-Aug-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 17-Aug-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 17-Aug-2015 at 01:53 PM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Aug-2015 14:07:06
#160 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

to produce cheap boards you need high production runs. I cannot see anyone taking such high risks (not even Trevor D.)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle