Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 94 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  8 secs ago
 matthey:  27 mins ago
 Rob:  38 mins ago
 BigD:  43 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 eliyahu:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 billt:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 saimon69:  1 hr 59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  THE DREAM OF ROWAN. A brand new game for Amiga 68k
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: THE DREAM OF ROWAN. A brand new game for Amiga 68k
Posted on 13-Dec-2015 10:37:22
#61 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
"cry" is the correct word. The graphic is really awful...

Not the best I saw, but I like it.

Profile     Report this post  
Massi 
Posted on 13-Dec-2015 10:50:43
#62 ]
Cult Member

@cdimauro

Criticism can help them to improve the game.

I agree that we saw way better demos.
A new Amiga game for 2016? Not bad and I want to see the game later on.

Yasu 
Posted on 13-Dec-2015 13:29:32
#63 ]

@Amiten

Quote:

A new Video where Enhaced Animation of our Player I hope you like it!
https://ksr-video.imgix.net/assets/005/064/861/8d85b94bc82bbd8303e9eae2c1be8457_h264_high.mp4

That does look a lot better. Now you need to do something about that awful game mechanics. Then this game might be interesting after all.

My MorphOS Blog

"Free speech includes other peoples right to offend you."

m0lebrain 
Posted on 14-Dec-2015 2:50:20
#64 ]

@Yasu

OH yes. HUGE improvement for sure!

Reynolds 
Posted on 14-Dec-2015 7:57:44
#65 ]

@OlafS25

Wrong. First of all, all of us (long-time Amigans) have to keep in mind that jump'n'run games' standards already have been set with Shadow Of The Beast Beast and Superfrog with screen scrolling, and Flashback with screen-swapping methods. Extra advantages of any Amiga HWs with games like Land Of Genesis, Hired Guns, etc.
Noone can think that any recent Classic Amiga game have to stick to the bare A500 w/ a single floppy drive, as there are a lot of new accelerators, even with HDD or similar storage ways for bigger applications or games.
Regarding Amos, as it was already stated, it is a high level language which is fairly good enough to make programs on stock systems like a std A500 (again, with HDD)
But in the light of these facts, saying that a game written in AMOS in 2015 needs 2 megs of Chip RAM, X megs of FastRAM and a 030 cpu is nonsense... Seriously, if the Amiga community, which had the will to provide high quality gfx, sound and games in general way back lost it's way to todays' standards to provide the same level of apps, then it's really better to stick to the good old games from the heydays.

Wing Commander is also a bad example. As the gaming market in Amiga terms had mainly a stock A500 around it's release date, it was obvious that it had to run on that machine, but if you play it on an expanded machine, the framerate increases massively. Just like many other Amiga titles, like nowadays' accelerator buliders favourite one, Elite II - Frontier. This was a financial decision by the publishers, to gain less and less profit on a diminishing platform. It wasn't their fault that the all Amiga models had expansion issues which I'd like to not open up, as we all should have to know what I mean, and that really forced them between walls which was pushed down to the developers. Now today we have no barriers but it doesn't mean we have to set the default level of any game higher than before without any real advantage.
On the other hand, the more powerful hw we have - the less outstanding games are coming? IS that really the way we do have? I don't think so. Till an A500 was capable to show us jawdropping spectacularity in games like Stardust, can't see why it should be dropped with no reason.
And one more thing. Having more accelerators for any Amiga models can't have the meaning that it's from now the new standard for entry level games like a simple 2D platformer. These game' fundaments have been set with the games I've mentioned before, so anyone who wants to produce a game like those, have to improve his/her own game from that level.
And one more thing, (which is already seem to be upgraded, as I saw in a recent animation, so expecting other massive improvements) 50 fps doesn't mean that we're moving 1-2 single object(s) with 3 anim frames.
Other things like rendered gfx converting issues with lack of colours have been already said by others.

Last edited by Reynolds on 14-Dec-2015 at 09:14 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 14-Dec-2015 9:14:29
#66 ]
Elite Member

@Reynolds

Where are the coders willing and able to do what you request? You?

If you look how many developers were involved in that projects... normally one or two experienced coders (at least), several graphicians and musicians and designers and testers. It is unrealistic to expect the same as in the old times on the limited hardware. I think there is a chance with more resources to get more software but certainly not for unexpanded A500.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 14-Dec-2015 at 09:27 AM.

Reynolds 
Posted on 14-Dec-2015 9:28:59
#67 ]

@OlafS25

I have no request, I'm happy with the old titles who showed all the advantages of the actual hardwares. ;)

And as I see, coders like NovaCoder, Daytona675x, Michael StNeitzel (AmigaTec) and more still can provide that quality what I'm talking about.
For example, seeing Wings Battlefield on an A1200 with OS4 and PPC is somewhat extraordinary from such a hardware. Because we know how limited that configuration, and even on that this stuff can run.

Old Amiga games weren't developed by dozens of people. They had the same skills and eunthiasm. What differs from that era, is that they had less resources on SW and HW, and less experience, development results which have had to be cumulated in the recent decades.

If we stick to side scroller games:
Shadow of the beast's makers are
Artists Coder : Martin Edmondson
Coder : Paul Howarth
Musician : David Whittaker
Misc : Roger Dean

Ruff'N'Tumble:
Artists Coder : Jason Perkins
Graphician : Robin Levy
Musician : Jason Page
Misc : Jason Perkins
Misc : Robin Levy

And Superfrog:
Artists Coder : Andreas Tadic (Megaman/Phenomena)
Graphician : Eric Schwartz
Graphician : Rico Holmes
Musician : Allister Brimble (The Demon)

Last edited by Reynolds on 14-Dec-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Britelite 
Posted on 14-Dec-2015 10:44:54
#68 ]

@Reynolds

Quote:
Old Amiga games weren't developed by dozens of people. They had the same skills and eunthiasm. What differs from that era, is that they had less resources on SW and HW, and less experience, development results which have had to be cumulated in the recent decades.

And back in the days they had the possibility to do Amiga games as a job and actually get paid... ;)

Reynolds 
Posted on 14-Dec-2015 11:49:07
#69 ]

@Britelite

Right.
And todays' developers aren't coding with guns held at their hands... are they? ;)
Btw, actually... good word... several stories tells when it doesn't happens... (ClickBOOM's story for anyone?)

But not turning away from the subject... The question is not that, if we want more Amiga games or not, or if we want to pay for a good Amiga game. (Still, good examples were Tower57 and Wings Remastered for NG) But being realistic regarding the expected quality should not be ignored in any way. Especially if it's not a freeware stuff.

Britelite 
Posted on 14-Dec-2015 12:21:14
#70 ]

@Reynolds

Quote:
But being realistic regarding the expected quality should not be ignored in any way. Especially if it's not a freeware stuff.

There should be no expectations of quality when it comes to freeware, because in when it comes to freeware no-one owes anyone anything.

But I agree that if you're charging money for your stuff, then you should be making something that's above average in quality.

ExiE 
Posted on 14-Dec-2015 12:39:40
#71 ]

@Reynolds
Wings Remastered is not a good example. That game is bad too, it is just not visible on the first look. I played the PC version and the 3D fights - core of the game - are unchallenging even on hard difficulty and very repetitive. After some time I switched back to original Amiga version coz the fight are not so easy there... sorry for OT.

Yssing 
Posted on 14-Dec-2015 14:26:44
#72 ]

@Yasu

Yes that is a very good improvement over the first animation.

Reynolds 
Posted on 14-Dec-2015 14:31:36
#73 ]

@ExiE

Well, Wings Battlefield is really a good, instant, multiplayer action game against other human players, Wings remastered is a well-known remake of an old, classic Amiga title, even if it is not as challenging as the original one, gives the so-awaited eyecandy for NG users. BTW I think these remakes so many times can fail. Our expectations based on nostalgic fundamentals are always high. This can't be delivered in most of the cases. But if we talk strictly the usage of the environment, other new titles in the queue gives far more quality-wise than this one. Or they're requires less resources.

Yssing 
Posted on 14-Dec-2015 14:40:09
#74 ]

@cdimauro

Yes, we can always count on you to give an encouraging speech and you always knows what and how to properly bring things to the light of day.
You are the constant positive pad on the shoulder.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 14-Dec-2015 15:27:05
#75 ]
Elite Member

Flight Of The Amazon Queen wasnt written in AMOS, just a very early demo was.
It also seems an unfair comparison to use Novacoders ports as comparison of quality. ID Software and the dozens of coders since have spent decades and untold resources creating the games, which were ported.
Also, its not like the community created the commercial games of yesteryear. Assorted commercial companies did, and often for multiple platforms.

This isnt to say people shouldnt expect a certain quality if theyre paying for something, but some of the "logic" on display in this thread is,... er, let's say "creative".

fishy_fis 
Posted on 14-Dec-2015 15:33:14
#76 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor.

How the heck does one make Ishar2 require a core2?
The original plays perfectly on a 386@16mhz. :)
Cool project though. Good dungeon crawler series.

Reynolds 
Posted on 14-Dec-2015 15:39:44
#77 ]

@fishy_fis

Why should be unfair? Just because it gives firmerly unreachable games on Amiga? From end-user point of view it makes no sense as the results are always high quality games on AmigaOS. An end-user doesn't bothers him/herself about the technical circumstances. Just the final result. And if once he/she saw games like Stardust or Shadow of the beast, expects the same thing to get, especially for money. Doesn't matters if it is professional or homebrew thing.

Developers were always part of our community. Especially they were. Fundamentals of it. And still, SOTB and Superfrog (just to strictly stick ourselves to two examples from the many) were developed on Amiga for the very first time, only later made ports for other platforms.

newlight 
Posted on 14-Dec-2015 16:03:26
#78 ]

@Amiten

You too!!!

I love how the Amiga even in dark or bad times can deliver the good things to its users.

That's the good thing to keep in mind and support Amiga!!!

Amiga 1200 Tower on AmigaKit since years
AMIGA 1300 030/50 Mhz/32 MB WB 3.9 with lots of games&demos
AMIGA ONE XE G3 PPC 800 Mhz/1 GB RAM/RADEON 9250 128 MB/SATA CONTROLLER

pavlor 
Posted on 14-Dec-2015 16:32:23
#79 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:
How the heck does one make Ishar2 require a core2?

That was exactly my question...

Quote:
Cool project though. Good dungeon crawler series.

With random generated world map, cities, shops, quests and dungeons, auto-map, inventory management, magic... My brother is not skilled coder (faaar from that ), but result is impressive. Interesting to note, hardest part was to get GFX from Ishar 2 - it has really clever done palette (segments by 16 colours changed for various enviroments).

cdimauro 
Posted on 14-Dec-2015 18:11:01
#80 ]
Elite Member

@Reynolds

Quote:

Reynolds wrote:
@OlafS25

Exactly. Usually there was on person for each area.

Nowadays developing with an Amiga 500 or 1200 as a target is much easier, because you have more productive tools, and with WinUAE you can quickly and safely test your things.

@Yssing

Quote:

Yssing wrote:
@cdimauro

Yes, we can always count on you to give an encouraging speech and you always knows what and how to properly bring things to the light of day.
You are the constant positive pad on the shoulder.

Thanks, buddy. I really appreciate your technical findings on my comments.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle