Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 111 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  6 secs ago
 Matt3k:  11 mins ago
 matthey:  11 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  12 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  17 mins ago
 kolla:  39 mins ago
 Karlos:  48 mins ago
 dreamlandfantasy:  52 mins ago
 Maijestro:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  OWB JS Endianess Bounty reached 500 US$ Are there programmers interested?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Raffaele 
OWB JS Endianess Bounty reached 500 US$ Are there programmers interested?
Posted on 22-Feb-2016 18:50:15
#1 ]

Endianess JavaScript Issues Bounty now exceeds 500 bucks!

http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/newcomment.php?item_id=7649

Are there developers starting being interested with the cash and offer themselves to solve the bugs?

Profile     Report this post  
MichaelMerkel 
Re: OWB JS Endianess Bounty reached 500 US$ Are there programmers interested?
Posted on 22-Feb-2016 18:58:26
#2 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele

what about the v8ppc mentioned in the other thread?
http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=7649&start=40#97067

isn't this exactly what the bounty is about?
(didn't read it though)

i'd recommend to take part there?

regards...
michael

Hans 
Posted on 22-Feb-2016 21:38:39
#3 ]
Elite Member

@MichaelMerkel

Quote:

MichaelMerkel wrote:
@Raffaele

what about the v8ppc mentioned in the other thread?
http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=7649&start=40#97067

V8 is Google's Javascript JIT, and Google decided to create their own fork of Webkit called Blink a few years ago. Needless to say, integrating v8 into Webkit may be a challenge.

Webkit's JIT, is FTLJIT.

IMHO, it's better to stick to the more modest goal of fixing the endianness issues rather than going straight for JIT.

Hans

P.S., If someone were to go down the v8ppc route, then also switching from Webkit to Blink would be a good idea.

amigang 
Posted on 22-Feb-2016 22:08:20
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

I just notice that Netsurf got an update to 3.4 wich according to the website features JavaScript "dukTape" does this feature the endianess bug. Not a developers just wondered. http://duktape.org/

tygre 
Posted on 22-Feb-2016 23:53:44
#5 ]

@amigang and all!

I never understood what is this "endianess" bug all about? (I know what endianess means, but how would that create bugs?).

Anyhow, I recompiled Duktape on my Amiga 1200 with VBCC (it is very easy because Duktape is very well written and already Amiga-ready) and it runs without problems in the few tests that I made.

Cheers!

wawa 
Posted on 23-Feb-2016 0:40:59
#6 ]
Elite Member

@tygre

it likely wont be a single bug but a large number of places in the code where the developers assume a priori particular byte ordering of data, because it is de facto standard these days. there is simply no big endian consumer platforms worth to mention these days, so their assumption is actually justified. at least in 99,99% of cases. therefore if we are talking about this as "bug", its our perspective, on their part and on part of most users its simply a design decision.

there is a post of bigfoot somewhere on morph zone that explains the difficulty with fixing these "bugs", he has been working on. apparently he has done most of the work, but still wasnt able to get the executable run stable, and thats where he has given up, at least for the time being. the problem is that the numerous actual fixes he did are applied to a code base, that as it isnt being synchronized upstream becomes outdated day by day.

the changes, not to be effectively for nothing with every further revision of the engine, would have to be pushed upwards. we dont even know if such agreement could be met. it may well be that maintainers of the main repository would not like to include them as long as there is nothing significant to be gained this way.

Last edited by wawa on 23-Feb-2016 at 12:42 AM.

tygre 
Posted on 23-Feb-2016 1:34:11
#7 ]

@wawa

Quote:
it likely wont be a single bug but a large number of places in the code where the developers assume a priori particular byte ordering of data, because it is de facto standard these days. there is simply no big endian consumer platforms worth to mention these days, so their assumption is actually justified. at least in 99,99% of cases. therefore if we are talking about this as "bug", its our perspective, on their part and on part of most users its simply a design decision.

I am very curious to "see" one of these bugs! I can understand that code like the following (others may involve unions, etc.)

int main()
{
int x = 1;

char *y = (char*)&x;

printf("%c\n",*y+48);
}

would depend on "endianness" but isn't it bad coding anyway? I mean, playing around with pointer arithmetic? I know that it is faster but maybe we could argue that such code should use "proper" functions and, thus, would be better off being not dependent on endianness

Quote:
there is a post of bigfoot somewhere on morph zone that explains the difficulty with fixing these "bugs", he has been working on. apparently he has done most of the work, but still wasnt able to get the executable run stable, and thats where he has given up, at least for the time being. the problem is that the numerous actual fixes he did are applied to a code base, that as it isnt being synchronized upstream becomes outdated day by day.

Cool! I'd like to learn from it: would you be able to point it to me?

Quote:
the changes, not to be effectively for nothing with every further revision of the engine, would have to be pushed upwards. we dont even know if such agreement could be met. it may well be that maintainers of the main repository would not like to include them as long as there is nothing significant to be gained this way.

Yes, we must be "quick" to push changes against the most up-to-date code base and it is worth being quick only if we can convince the maintainers that these changes are worth including... maybe they could be willing to integrate code in "#ifdef"? Just dreaming...

Cheers!

Hans 
Posted on 23-Feb-2016 1:43:23
#8 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

Quote:

amigang wrote:
@Hans

I just notice that Netsurf got an update to 3.4 wich according to the website features JavaScript "dukTape" does this feature the endianess bug. Not a developers just wondered. http://duktape.org/

That's great for Netsurf. For Odyssey, you'd have to ask someone who knows how Webkit (and dukTape) works how easy/hard switching to dukTape would be. I'd expect dukTape's interface to the browser to be quite different from Webkit's JavaScript interpreter API, so swapping the interpreter out would likely take quite some effort.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 23-Feb-2016 at 01:43 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 23-Feb-2016 5:31:10
#9 ]
Elite Member

@tygre
Quote:
Cool! I'd like to learn from it: would you be able to point it to me?

youll find his post here (#5)
https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11523&forum=32#124039
rather curious stuff id say..

Quote:
maybe they could be willing to integrate code in "#ifdef"?

they might, if they think that it pays off to, and this exactly is the question..

Last edited by wawa on 23-Feb-2016 at 05:32 AM.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 23-Feb-2016 7:04:34
#10 ]

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@tygre

Which is why a better fix would be to make all those developers change their attitude about the "importance" of big endian support so they will cinsider this in the future. Otherwise there will constantly be new "bugs" introduced as development proceeds and Raffaele would have to collect an endless amount of $500 bounties and competent+motivsted devlopers to "fix" everything that is released. However, IMHO the chances are very slim they would care. As you say, there are no big endian systems anymore, hasn't been for a decade, so why would they care really?

A proper fix would be to migrate the platform to a small endian architecture. That process would open up a lot of other possibilities as well, since if we drop binary backwards compatibility we could have 64-bit, true SMP, true memory protection and resource tracking, and an endless stream of today's hardware with today's performance and prices.

Luckily, this is being done!

BSzili 
Posted on 23-Feb-2016 7:59:25
#11 ]

@Hans
Isn't it funny how quickly the "anything but fixing Odyssey/JavaScriptCore" people offer alternatives, that'd require much more work than the original task?

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Feb-2016 9:08:27
#12 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

you still talk about something what does not exist

about endian issues I think that too, developers are supporting modern hardware and not obscure retro systems running on outdated hardware. No chance to motivate them to add support for PPC, not even with money (except someone would offer lots of it)

Raffaele 
Posted on 23-Feb-2016 12:12:51
#13 ]

@TRIPOS

You made the false assumption that any further Javascritpt engine in X86 camp will be rewritten from scratch at any new release featuring an entire new famiily of bugs...

Well, development of software does not works in this way.

Actually Javascript Engine on X86 is very stable as is, and Webkit developers made just some adjustments of code at any new releases...

If our coders will be enough skilled to fix all the existing Javascript Endianess X86 calls that afflict PPC version (we are talking of allocating memory calls that sure are perfectly legit calls for X86, but in the end they result being malicious as bugs for us running on PPC Big Endian) then we will reach a stable situation and we will obtain a decent updated browser.

Just let solve our existing problem now!

Then the only tedious effort we will need for the future, will be limited only to a continuous monitoring of further modifications to original Javascript X86 code to get rid of any new bug it could occur.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 23-Feb-2016 13:41:10
#14 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:

That's great for Netsurf. For Odyssey, you'd have to ask someone who knows how Webkit (and dukTape) works how easy/hard switching to dukTape would be.

Certainly not trivial.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 23-Feb-2016 13:49:00
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

How I'd approach this (if I had any interest in fixing it, which I don't):

Roll back to the last known working version.
Apply each commit one by one to figure out which one broke it.
Look at what changed in the commit which broke it.

At least then you have a much smaller set of changes to go through. I'm amazed that somebody with the dev environment set up hasn't already done this. If there are a lot of commits between the last known good and the first known broken, then pick one in the middle to narrow it down quicker.

The change which causes the problem could have been identified by now if anybody could be bothered.

Last edited by Chris_Y on 23-Feb-2016 at 01:50 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 23-Feb-2016 14:09:42
#16 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Quote:
Which is why a better fix would be to make all those developers change their attitude about the "importance" of big endian support

As always the hard work will be on us. But the fact is here that PPC easily reads and writes in opposite endian so perhaps using an opposite instruction would be best. And as I say, modify the compiler so endian can be specified. This shouldn't be a problem unless binary data is imported or exported which sounds like bad practice anyway.

As long as this approach doesn't affect other parts of normal code and OS calls problem solved and future proof as well.

Quote:
Luckily, this is being done!

Where is this being done? Apart from AROS?

wawa 
Posted on 23-Feb-2016 16:03:39
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Chris_Y

Quote:

Chris_Y wrote:
@Raffaele

How I'd approach this (if I had any interest in fixing it, which I don't):

Roll back to the last known working version.
Apply each commit one by one to figure out which one broke it.
Look at what changed in the commit which broke it.

At least then you have a much smaller set of changes to go through. I'm amazed that somebody with the dev environment set up hasn't already done this. If there are a lot of commits between the last known good and the first known broken, then pick one in the middle to narrow it down quicker.

The change which causes the problem could have been identified by now if anybody could be bothered.

actually, very much simplified, the approach would have be like this:
1. someone would have to ask bigfoot for sources (since as he wrote he fixed 99% of issues in his version/revision)
2. someone would have to familiarize himself with the source and approach and finalize bigfoots work (the famous last touches, which are the most of the work syndrom)
3. one would have trace the differences between bigfoots version/revision and the current one (looking at the history of commits/ diffing sources) and update the version/revision to the current one along with the fixes.
4. further maintenance as it is demanded here, to keep the code up to date, same way as in previous point.

this is considering the size and complextity of codebase a huge pile of very inconvenient work (as there is no agreement with the upstream maintainers and everything needs to be done home and by hand) and it wont be rewarded with anything in the range of few hundred euros or dollars.

actually first things would be to secure agreement with webkit maintainers and then secure and analyze bigfoots sources and his changes. simply acting up here or other forums wont improve anything a tiny bit..

Chris_Y 
Posted on 23-Feb-2016 18:26:24
#18 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

actually, very much simplified, the approach would have be like this:
1. someone would have to ask bigfoot

I don't know who "bigfoot" is, but from what you're saying this isn't simply an endian problem in WebKit, but an endian problem in some fork of WebKit, so it's understandable that they aren't interested.

Can't "bigfoot" find the problem and fix it, since they appear to have the correct environment set up and know what they are doing?

terminills 
Posted on 23-Feb-2016 18:28:16
#19 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Chris_Y

Quote:
I don't know who "bigfoot" is

http://obligement.free.fr/articles_traduction/itwolsen_en.php

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

wawa 
Posted on 23-Feb-2016 18:35:27
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Chris_Y
bigfoot is one of the core morphos developers, who actually addressed the problem discussed here and apparently put a serious work in it. i linked to his post in my answer to tygre just above, so i think i dont need to do it again. bigfoot explains the issue and why it isnt trivial in enough detail for everybody to understand i guess.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle