Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 94 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 dreamlandfantasy:  18 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 klx300r:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 kinchan:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 Beamish2040:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 Seiya:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 MagicSN:  2 hrs 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga site reports Hyperion in bankrupt and A-Eon acquired AmigaOS (Fake?)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
PosterThread
saimo 
Re: Amiga site reports Hyperion in bankrupt and A-Eon acquired AmigaOS (Fake?)
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 16:28:20
#261 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@saimo

Yes I can understand to a certain degree that they not communicate on certain sites but there are others where no problems would arise or they could use social media

today we have plenty of options to communicate (sometimes too many propably ) so that is no justification to become silent for years. In normal world it would be game over for a long time already.

At the moment there is no hardware to buy anyway and UAE is (to say it polite) intentionally not very good supported by them. So nothing to sell so you cannot loose customers by not communicating. But it is still not a very wise strategy.

The problem is not how and where to communicate, but what. They learned from experience and came to the conclusion that they would restrict the communication to finished products only. Sharing half information wouldn't solve a single thing, and might instead potentially fuel more wrong expectations and further attacks. What they really need to do is to deliver. And the community should learn to keep calm

@Niolator

Quote:
Yes, I know about that but I think they are in the wrong business in that case. They should be into basketry or something were you don't need to have a presence on the Internet at all if they can't take negative criticism. Any company which comments their products on-line always receives complains from someone, no matter how good their product is. In this case they don't need to comment a lot. Just let their presence be known and say that they are still working on the OS. Then there would be no need for more posts in the thread. Case closed.

Consider that the presence you and others ask for requires first of all material to talk about (i.e. products, see above); then, it needs resources (PR require time); and, finally, needs a mature and constructive audience (sorry, the Amiga community, with all the inter-camp hatred, the disillusions, the bickering, etc. doesn't qualify).
It is not of much use to compare this scenario with others. Are they doing the best thing possible? Don't they really have anything to share that would do some good without bigger risks? I can't say. But I understand the silence.

Last edited by saimo on 11-Aug-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Last edited by saimo on 11-Aug-2016 at 04:38 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Niolator 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 18:23:43
#262 ]

@saimo

You are taking side with Hyperion suspiciously strong. Maybe you're an infiltrator from Hyperion posting here on Amigaworld.net incognito?

pavlor 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 18:32:17
#263 ]
Elite Member

@Niolator

Paranoia?

Niolator 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 18:37:21
#264 ]

@pavlor

I am just hoping for an official statement.

wawa 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 19:32:27
#265 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

Quote:

But let me express the concept in different words.
Hyperion as a company, the developers, and others belonging to the company, were making announcements and sharing information frequently, on behalf of the company or as private persons. Sometimes they did the right thing, sometimes they didn't. Sometimes they got it right, sometimes they made mistakes. Sometimes they were supported, sometimes they were criticized, sometimes they were outright slandered. At some point they decided that what was happening was not good to them, and changed policy - and made the decision public.
This is what happened. And the two sides involved in the story are obviously the company and the community.

the community simply reacted to the developments (or lack of these), to failed or false announcements and the like. you can communicate and not earn much criticism or slander otherwise communication wouldnt be possible at all, and we have positive examples, how to do that also around here. telling that the company in question wasnt able to do that due to negative feedback is causality turned upside down. dont you think?

wawa 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 19:34:19
#266 ]
Elite Member

@Niolator

Quote:
You are taking side with Hyperion suspiciously strong.

from what i read, you are talking to a person who is currently giving up on os4 and returning to genuine amiga field ;)

ne_one 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 19:43:49
#267 ]
Cult Member

@saimo

Quote:
Consider that the presence you and others ask for requires first of all material to talk about (i.e. products, see above); then, it needs resources (PR require time); and, finally, needs a mature and constructive audience (sorry, the Amiga community, with all the inter-camp hatred, the disillusions, the bickering, etc. doesn't qualify).

So the lack of communication and miscommunication is the fault of the audience? Even the most steadfast apologists would have a tough time reconciling that one.

It's convenient to use any of a litany of excuses to answer for shortcomings but the reality is that Hyperion simply isn't delivering. Period.

This whole thread amounts to shooting the messenger but if you conducted a poll, you would likely find that a lot of people read the title and hoped that it were true.

Last edited by ne_one on 11-Aug-2016 at 07:45 PM.

ne_one 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 19:55:07
#268 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele

Quote:
If only I had had enough money power to put in the arena...

I'm sure that your intentions were noble but would you really want to invest any money supporting the same people extending the same old technologies?

Last edited by ne_one on 11-Aug-2016 at 07:55 PM.

saimo 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 19:55:44
#269 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
the community simply reacted to the developments (or lack of these), to failed or false announcements and the like. you can communicate and not earn much criticism or slander otherwise communication wouldnt be possible at all, and we have positive examples, how to do that also around here. telling that the company in question wasnt able to do that due to negative feedback is causality turned upside down. dont you think?

I've seen it all (or almost) back in the day, and there were massive doses of slander, trolling, fudding, personal attacks mixed with the rest. One thing is receiving genuine criticism, one thing is being constantly attacked. It had become a constant flamefest that got all sides heated up and that was doing no good to anyone. Denying/omitting this is rewriting history.
EDIT: I never wrote that the failures of Hyperion were caused by the community - that's only your words.

Last edited by saimo on 11-Aug-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Last edited by saimo on 11-Aug-2016 at 08:18 PM.

saimo 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 19:58:23
#270 ]
Elite Member

@ne_one

Quote:

ne_one wrote:
@saimo

Quote:

So the lack of communication and miscommunication is the fault of the audience? Even the most steadfast apologists would have a tough time reconciling that one.

It's convenient to use any of a litany of excuses to answer for shortcomings but the reality is that Hyperion simply isn't delivering. Period.

This whole thread amounts to shooting the messenger but if you conducted a poll, you would likely find that a lot of people read the title and hoped that it were true.

That piece you quoted above has to be considered in the context of all the few posts I have written in this thread. I have reported how things went, which constitutes the factual answer to the question raised multiple times in this thread and elsewhere: why doesn't Hyperion speak?

Last edited by saimo on 11-Aug-2016 at 07:58 PM.

saimo 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 20:02:06
#271 ]
Elite Member

@Niolator

Quote:

Niolator wrote:
@pavlor

I am just hoping for an official statement.

It's in my very first post in this thread: "Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated to Hyperion, and I am not part of the development team. I'm just a common user.".
I'm just reporting the facts and providing the answer to your question "I wonder what brought this behaviour on.".

wawa 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 20:24:00
#272 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

Quote:
I've seen it all (or almost) back in the day

me too. i remember well things like when after enormous amount of time people started to wonder what is happening to their timberwolf bounty (i know, not officially hyperion project) ("it isnt a browser, its technology" - remember) and i made a suggestion that it would be better to support kas1e initiative to port odyssey (called mui owb at that time) for which i earned so called a shitstorm comment from one of the friedens. no name calling on my part, not then nor ever i can recall.

today the bounty is paid out, the firefox port abandoned after something in a range of an alpha release (or release candidate 2 as they have called it i guess), the people behind the project seem to have disappeared, odyssey have been ported thanks to another bounty about similar volume and cross platform source is actively maintained by an aros developer.

Last edited by wawa on 11-Aug-2016 at 08:24 PM.

saimo 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 20:33:52
#273 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@saimo

Quote:
I've seen it all (or almost) back in the day

me too. i remember well things like when after enormous amount of time people started to wonder what is happening to their timberwolf bounty (i know, not officially hyperion project) ("it isnt a browser, its technology" - remember) and i made a suggestion that it would be better to support kas1e initiative to port odyssey (called mui owb at that time) for which i earned so called a shitstorm comment from one of the friedens. no name calling on my part, not then nor ever i can recall.

today the bounty is paid out, the firefox port abandoned after something in a range of an alpha release (or release candidate 2 as they have called it i guess), the people behind the project seem to have disappeared, odyssey have been ported thanks to another bounty about similar volume and cross platform source is actively maintained by an aros developer.

Bringing this up is irrevelant because:
* Hyperion is not involved in no way at all (not just "not officially");
* Hyperion changed their commication policy way before (if my memory serves me).

Last edited by saimo on 11-Aug-2016 at 08:34 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 20:35:36
#274 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

At least they tried and delivered. New Timberwolf version would be nice, but pointless without fast JS. This problem applies to both PowerPC and 68k platforms (assuming someone ports fully working Odyssey for AROS 68k).

tlosm 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 20:36:49
#275 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

did you see? odissey was made by a mos developer was
made it free with money (the most) of amigaos4 users
and manteined by aros developer...

strange world

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Raffaele 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 20:42:11
#276 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Raffaele

you (like many others) do not really understand magellan

Magellan IS a full desktop replacement

when magellan was open-sourced even morphos user supported it despite ambient because magellan has some advantages (their words) so a final comparation would bring advantages and disadvantages on both sides. And as long Ambient is not ported elsewhere it is a theoretical discussion anyway.

Yes Magellan has always one source and one destination window but to be honest I personal never used it different even on other platforms in normal work. A nice feature to have but when you used it?

AW come on, it was just an example of a main feature that makes Diropus different from Ambient, that sports naive features when compared to Magellan.

Raffaele 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 20:53:46
#277 ]

@ne_one

Quote:

ne_one wrote:
@Raffaele

Quote:
If only I had had enough money power to put in the arena...

I'm sure that your intentions were noble but would you really want to invest any money supporting the same people extending the same old technologies?

Aw come on, it is clear that it was just wishful thinking, and perhaps there was a thread some months ago right asking people what had they done if they had a million bucks.
I just answered indirectly to the guy who wanted Ambient on his system that I had had reunited all Amiga Camps.

I just said I will apply to get both camps united again and mainly I will improve development of Quark Kernel that has all the modern features we need but lacks of API, Interface, Filesystem, DOS, Drivers, at this actual moment and uses Amiga emulation A-Box in order to perform the tasks it lacks of.

Last edited by Raffaele on 11-Aug-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 11-Aug-2016 at 08:55 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 21:07:27
#278 ]

@tlosm

Quote:

tlosm wrote:
@wawa

did you see? odissey was made by a mos developer was
made it free with money (the most) of amigaos4 users
and manteined by aros developer...

strange world

And I am still waiting Deadwood and Fab to declare Javascript PPC Safari patch works flawlessly on AmigaOS OWB and on MorphOS OWB in order to pay Tobias Netzel the money I collected with Javascript Patch Bounty!

Is anyone reading this thread? Deadwood? Fab?

Are you still alive?

Do you managed to integrate Tobias PPC Javascript Patch into your respective versions of OWB?

Does it work?

Tobias Netzel is waiting the bounty money he gained full rights upon.

[EDIT]

Sorry it was Deadwood, not Kas1e maintaning development of AmigaOS OWB. I corrected names.

Last edited by Raffaele on 11-Aug-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 11-Aug-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 11-Aug-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 11-Aug-2016 at 09:08 PM.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 21:54:46
#279 ]

@Nibunnoichi

Quote:

Nibunnoichi wrote:

i was just saying that you can't *objectively* compare something by bringing in personal preferences and that's all. You clearly missed my point...

...and this in a context where ChrisH said that for him OS4/Workbench is the best (i.e. a subjective conclusion) and that it's impossible to say that Ambient would be the best option of the two objectively speaking!

You have two pills,

The first one cures cancer, HIV, obesity and magically teleports €1000 to your bank account.

The second one is a PEZ with strawberry flavor.

Of course it's possible to (subjectively) prefer the second one if strawberry taste is the only important feature to you. But objectively speaking, the first one is still the better pill.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 11-Aug-2016 21:57:55
#280 ]

@Raffaele

One thread isn't enough for you?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle