Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 101 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pavlor:  13 mins ago
 Seiya:  17 mins ago
 Maijestro:  17 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  25 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  30 mins ago
 Karlos:  47 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga site reports Hyperion in bankrupt and A-Eon acquired AmigaOS (Fake?)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: Amiga site reports Hyperion in bankrupt and A-Eon acquired AmigaOS (Fake?)
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 20:09:55
#361 ]
Elite Member

@Yasu

LimeBook was sold dirty cheap in its time (even for 200 USD!)...

Profile     Report this post  
amigakit 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 20:13:23
#362 ]
Amiga Kit

@Yasu

I do not understand what you mean?

At no point has A-EON or AmigaKit ever announced a 500 EUR laptop.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 20:27:46
#363 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

I often read old amiga magazines. Both for leisure and as a source of technical documentation.
What has really stood out to me recently is just how long amiga users have marched to the beat of their own drummers. We've been arguing and infighting the vast, vast majority of the time the machine has existed. There was maybe 5 years in total that being nutjobs wasnt a prerequisite.
This all started even before aga existed.
The amiga has *never* had a strong, confident figurehead, nor has there ever been a good future roadmap, even when there was money involved.
Its a machine that has always winged it, stumbling from one year to the next.
Amiga users naturally followed suit. With no particular confidence over what will happen next the user base all came up with their own paths to believe in.
This whole wishy-washy attitude is the only consistancy the system has ever known. As such is it any surprise that those of us that remain are so splintered, yet self assured that our own personal ideas are right?

p.s. not specifically addressing you. Just my 2 cents in regards to the convo you ana wawa were having and I pressed the nearest "reply" button. :)

Last edited by fishy_fis on 14-Aug-2016 at 08:34 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 22:06:24
#364 ]

@fishy_fis

Quote:

fishy_fis wrote:
@Raffaele

Replying here to a much earlier post which spilled into another thread, but deadwood's work on OWB has been general webkit fixes and updating aros version of OWB to use a more uptodate version of webkit than the ppc versions. He's also made merging of webkit and OWB easier from here on end for others working on Odyssey.
Deadwood's AROS version of Odyssey has both javascript working, and jit enabled for javascript. None of what you're asking for even applies to his version.

While he's always helpful, there's not much point in hounding him for anything other than insight. He's already expressed that he has no real interest in working on ppc software.

p.s. I dont like to put words in other peoples mouths, but Im pretty sure this is all accurate.

It was Deadwood who raised problem of endianess here in this discussion. (at link thst follows) and then proposing a bounty, renouncing himself to hire one, and from this post I believed he was in someway involved with AmigaOS PPC OWB porting.

If not, then it is a pity we Amigans are all closed anyone in its little camp garden taking care only of their local interests...

http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=97679#forumpost97679

Last edited by Raffaele on 14-Aug-2016 at 10:14 PM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 22:34:49
#365 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Wasnt sure you'd seen that post so I re-iterated it in its thread just prior to seeing your response here.

Im not too sure now, but Im still thinking it was more offering insight and perhaps some bug fixing than an offer to do a new version for ppc systems too.

@Deadwood.
Feel free to correct me if Im mistaken. Im loathe to speak inaccurately on behalf of others.

Yasu 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 22:45:06
#366 ]

@Pavlor

Yeah, but it took several years before we knew for sure that they where working on that laptop.

@amigakit

I do remember reading on several forums and on Amiga Future that a price range of up to 500€ or something like that was mentioned. People was really excited about it as it would be a rather cheap AmigaOS computer, period.

My MorphOS Blog

"Free speech includes other peoples right to offend you."

Overflow 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 22:51:08
#367 ]

@Yasu

Again, he said "AEON has never....." etc.

What others might have dreamed or promised about isnt really AEONs issue.

eliyahu 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 22:51:21
#368 ]

@Yasu

Quote:
I do remember reading on several forums and on Amiga Future that a price range of up to 500€ or something like that was mentioned. People was really excited about it as it would be a rather cheap AmigaOS computer, period.

the price as indicated at amiwest 2011 was around $400 USD. i'm sure hyperion had already negotiated a price at the time of the announcement. i believe the issue was that the manufacturer changed the price offering sometime after the announcement, thus making the project rather pointless given the pitiful specs.

i was terribly excited at the announcement; and was disappointed when it turned out to be undoable. i understood the reasons, though.

-- eliyahu

terminills 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 23:19:58
#369 ]
AROS Core Developer

@fishy_fis

Deadwood said multiple times he was not interested. So you were correct when you assumed he wasn't.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Yasu 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 23:41:55
#370 ]

@eliyahu

Thanks for confirming. I understand that projects can fail, but I am curious what made them announce it in the first place if it was so far from a done deal.

My MorphOS Blog

eliyahu 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 23:59:59
#371 ]

@Yasu

again, you'd have to ask hyperion, but my impression was that at the time of the announcement it *was* a done deal. the manufacturer apparently changed the pricing after the fact. but, again, only hyperion can confirm the details.

-- eliyahu

kolla 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 0:26:25
#372 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Why you? Because you're the one claiming Ambient and vfs makes this easy.

kolla 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 0:38:37
#373 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
@kolla

Just use songplayer. It does the job and it does it pretty well.

Sigh, that is totally beside the point.

With DOpus Magellan you can use the listers for just about anything, I wrote a bunch of modules back in the day, and I was certainly no programmer. It was fairly easy to make modules in DOpus to read news groups, browse mailboxes, custom media players... and have meaningful contextual buttons and menus for these listers. Even I could do it, which says something. With Ambient, I have yet to see this kind of flexibility, and being told that "the correct way is to use vfs" is totally pointless - can one easily script VFS modules for MorphOS? Or does it require that I install SDK and mess around with C? If so, that illustrates my point exactly.

Yasu 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 11:39:15
#374 ]

@eliyahu

That makes sense. I don't know if they stated the reasons anywhere after they finally confirmed the deal being off. I just remember a note from Amiwest where it just said it was. If they didn't stress the reasons they really should have as it's not weird to think that they just said something to make a buzz and then just hope they could deliver. This was the last big red vs blue war period after all.

It seems Amigakit is the only vendor that tries to correct misconceptions, but it shouldn't be their job to speak on Hyperions and A-Eons behalf.

Last edited by Yasu on 15-Aug-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Last edited by Yasu on 15-Aug-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Last edited by Yasu on 15-Aug-2016 at 11:40 AM.

My MorphOS Blog

OlafS25 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 11:47:48
#375 ]
Elite Member

@Yasu

I think at that time MorphOS team announced future notebook support for MorphOS so guess they made the announcement to keep users from changing to MorphOS and wait for their product (that they perhaps expected to become real at that time). Only a personal guess... also it is not a good style to end the project but not informing people who were waiting for it.

I can remember people here talking about what hardware the netbook would be and how many users would join. Nobody talked about MorphOS announcement. So on the short run success, on the long run not so.

Yasu 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 12:13:29
#376 ]

@OlafS25

That much is obvious. I remember thinking of getting one myself before I switched to AROS (before I switched to MorphOS). In the end I think they should have finished the LimeBook port and let people find their own laptops. I think a lot of AmigaOS users would have preferred that solution to no laptop at all. Even if the LimeBook is rather crappy.

My MorphOS Blog

saimo 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 12:57:45
#377 ]
Elite Member

@Yasu

You first asked AmigaKit (post 360): I'm curious: what made you/them think it was possible to make a 500€ laptop in the first place? I mean, confidently enough to announce it publically?
AmigaKit answered (post 362): At no point has A-EON or AmigaKit ever announced a 500 EUR laptop.

So, AmigaKit:
* spoke for themselves and A-EON (which, AFAIK, they are co-founders and partners of);
* did not speak on behalf of Hyperion;
* clarified that they or A-EON were not responsible for the announcement;
* did not provide information that belongs to Hyperion.
The answer was as complete and correct as possible.

Then you totally ignored the answer and, rather harshly replied (post 366): I do remember reading on several forums and on Amiga Future that a price range of up to 500€ or something like that was mentioned. People was really excited about it as it would be a rather cheap AmigaOS computer, period.
Overflow stepped in and explained you how to read AmigaKit's answer: (post 367): Again, he said "AEON has never....." etc. What others might have dreamed or promised about isnt really AEONs issue.

So, you were given the explanation a second time.

Later on, you posted (post 374): It seems Amigakit is the only vendor that tries to correct misconceptions, but it shouldn't be their job to speak on Hyperions and A-Eons behalf.

The second part is wrong, because:
* AmigaKit never spoke on behalf of Hyperion;
* AmigaKit is co-founder and parter of A-EON, so they can actually speak on behalf of A-EON.

To sum things up:
1. you first asked AmigaKit to provide an answer, but the question should have been asked to Hyperion (so basically you asked them to speak on behalf of Hyperion);
2. after AmigaKit answered, without speaking for Hyperion and pointing out the distinction, you insisted, indirectly blaming them;
3. after you got further clarifications, you blamed AmigaKit for speaking on behalf of Hyperion.

You either are not able to have this conversation, or you are deliberately trolling.

OlafS25 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 13:03:27
#378 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

sorry to say that but what you call trolling is how customers think

a-eon, hyperion and (later) amigakit always was seen as unity and if someone (for whomever he or she spoke at that time) announced a netbook they do not dig under every stone to see if he speaks for himself, hyperion, a-eon, amigakit or just nonsense

It is not important anyway now, just a example for bad marketing and missing communication

Yasu 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 13:41:21
#379 ]

@saimo

What OlafS25 said. I have no idea who said what. I just remember the cheap laptop that was supposed to be sold with AmigaOS. I certainly don't remember anyone saying "this is just a rumour. No laptop is being made here. Move along".

Also, I'm apparently not the only one who remember this laptop project. Not to mention the fact that there is a semi working prototype (I've seen it). So something was going on and suddenly not going on anymore. I'm not trolling, I'm just curious of what the hell happened.

My MorphOS Blog

saimo 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 14:09:51
#380 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@saimo

sorry to say that but what you call trolling is how customers think

a-eon, hyperion and (later) amigakit always was seen as unity and if someone (for whomever he or she spoke at that time) announced a netbook they do not dig under every stone to see if he speaks for himself, hyperion, a-eon, amigakit or just nonsense

It is not important anyway now, just a example for bad marketing and missing communication

You missed the point of my post.
Anyway:
* it is not difficult to distinguish between Hyperion, AmigaKit, and A-EON;
* in this thread the distinction has been made clear, so who is discussing the subject has no excuse to keep on mixing them up.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle