Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  23 mins ago
 Karlos:  34 mins ago
 dreamlandfantasy:  47 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  52 mins ago
 amigakit:  56 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Ratta:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 Dragster:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 22 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Deadwood, Fab, Tobias: OWB Javascript PPC Patch and a pending bounty
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Raffaele 
Re: Deadwood, Fab, Tobias: OWB Javascript PPC Patch and a pending bounty
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 11:09:36
#61 ]

@OlafS25

I do not see your point here... I saw there was a problem with Javascript issue and I launched a bounty being a totally newbie in making bounties. Next bounty I will made I will benefit from the experience of this one.

Frankly the attack you made me on about I am expecting results from someone else free work it is almost gratuitous.

I expecting nothing but a response...

Fab and Kas1e (or whoever is in charge for AmigaOS version of OWB) had five months of time to check the patch and have enough skills to say:

"Pay the guy, as I recognize Tobias Netzel patch is good"

or

"Don't pay the guy and dismiss the bounty! I've checkednthe patch and is all but spaghetti code!"

Is it so difficult?

But as you insinuate I pretend results from someone's else free work I want to remember, for your information, that also Tobias Netzel works for free and as he being the one who made the patch, do you want to spoil him of the money we collected just as because the others were never rewarded for their works before?

It seems to me really meanie!

Next time we could award in the same way the precious free work of Fab, of Deadwood, of Kas1e or other developers like Broadblues, Tokai, Iggy, Krashan, just to mention some...

But let's start from Netzel first.

Is Tobias Netzel worth being awarded, as he saved OWB from a premature engine obsolescence?

Well, the hell, yes, in my opinion!

And if you think it is not good to award a Macintosh developer instead of an Amiga one, I say:

Let's start awarding Netzel for his precious help, else we will find ourselves without a functioning modern browser, that nowadays is a vital application!!!

Then learn well what happened in this situation we faced, that should be recalled in the future as a memento (sure I will do), and let's create arbitrary starting point of how to made bounties to reward any single developers of this community from now in the future.

Don't you agree?

Last edited by Raffaele on 16-Aug-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 16-Aug-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 16-Aug-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 16-Aug-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 11:26:31
#62 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

I am not sure what people expected that gave the money

if I would have donated I would not expect a patch for whetever webkit version but a working solution for AmigaOS that I can start to use. If not I would be very angry, you will see that if you give the money and then nothing happens. People already explained to you that this patch in fact is worthless as long it is not integrated. If Deadwood or Fab would say ok give the money would not everyone (including you) expect of them to integrate it in OWB, they were not involved and not wanted to be because of no time and/or different interests. The patch as such is of no value at the moment and if someone will ever include it in OWB is in the stars. Deadwood is not interested in PPC anyway and Fab will certainly update OWB someday but nobody can say when and also which webkit version will be relevant then and how much will be changed then. Or they are in process of migrating to X64 and no longer interested in investing too much work in PPC OWB then, who knows.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 16-Aug-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 16-Aug-2016 at 11:27 AM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 11:28:10
#63 ]

@OlafS25

Ok, then let's wait and see, as usual...

tlosm 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 11:33:17
#64 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

I tested lastest webkit from Tobias on OsX leopard and there is working right, much much less crash compared the oldest one ... What i can suggest you:
Tobias did the patch ... Tobias have to be paid about.
If no one will use the patch will be our(amigans) foult not a Tobias foult.
if there is something to be fixed im sure tobias will fix it without asking more money.
He did all the job for free on webkit in past i dont think him will become money hungry now.
This is my point of view

Last edited by tlosm on 16-Aug-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Last edited by tlosm on 16-Aug-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Last edited by tlosm on 16-Aug-2016 at 11:34 AM.

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

OlafS25 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 11:37:19
#65 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

Raf will get the problems with the donators...

on the other hand... it was told that this would happen. People were warned and have to blame themselves when giving money for it

tlosm 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 11:41:18
#66 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

yes i understand ... but Donators have to understand Tobias did the job and the issue now is in the amigans side.

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

OlafS25 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 11:47:24
#67 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

as I wrote... Raf will get the problems

It was a chaotic bounty, even after reading it several times I did not really understand what was the bounty text. It is no shame to ask people with more knowledge when doing something like that and then do it on power2people because people there have a understanding of quality and rules. Sorry to say that... if I read amigabounty...

@Raf

it is not simply checking a source how well it is written or documented, they have to check every line in the source and look in webkit sources. It is a lot of work. If you are not really interested in it or (in case of Fab) have no time to do it it is a problem. And even if they say it is ok then it is still not integrated and usable. I do not know what every donator thought but I assume they expected something useable and they will be very disappointed when they realize that they finally gave money for nothing. I cannot remember if you communicated it correctly, I can only remember you pushing people to give money to get JIT on PPC and people certainly did not think of PPC Macs there.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 16-Aug-2016 at 11:54 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 12:25:19
#68 ]
Elite Member

Here goes money for nothing clip again. ;) and some serious ego trip..

wawa 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 12:30:04
#69 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

As far as i understand tobias presented raffaele with a patch he did for ppc macs. Why else would he compile it against osx and not os4 or morphos. It has only accidentally to do with both the later. But if you want to fund apple software development, be my guest.

pampers 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 12:30:44
#70 ]

Quote:
I expecting nothing but a response...

That's the part you clearly don't understand, still and still. No one owns you nothing, even response. You made wrong bounty, deal with it but stop behaving like someone owns you something.

Be a man, pay Tobias from your own pocket as he did the job but it's not his fault that you completely ignored our warnings about how this bounty will fail. And then politely wait until some developer will pick this fix up, or not.

kas1e 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 14:03:05
#71 ]
Elite Member

@wawa
Quote:

it looks like you have at least proposed to assign him to the repository or something like that.

Of course not. I first time heard about Raf's initiative only when recieved mail with link on that github's issue, where my first answer was that everything done wrong :)

All was done without clear plan, without normal dicussing, without any knowledge of how things done. So i do not undestand how fab or deadwood, or even me (throuhg i play there little role, i only port what fab and later deadwood do) can be involved in that mess, where someone make his own bounty on his own rulz, and want somehow inderectly involve them, and even makin a guilty for not doing somehitng which he hope they will do. Smeels like amiga :)

tlosm 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 14:12:49
#72 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
Why else would he compile it against osx and not os4 or morphos

because the fixed endianess is on webkit js decoding code and isnt related to guest os.
This webkit fixes can be used by LinuxPPC Midori and qupzilla ... you suggest to ask the linux community the found because Tobias fixed this code?
About how work Js decoding code and integration with the guest os for sure Fab can explain better then me ... but i have the feeling this patch will not impact too much in the guest os side.

@Kas1e
Like usual ... only amiga made this possibile

Last edited by tlosm on 16-Aug-2016 at 02:13 PM.

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

OlafS25 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 14:15:14
#73 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

nobody asks anyone...

but people have donated to get JIT on AmigaOS and will not get it

shit happens

Raffaele 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 14:15:42
#74 ]

@wawa

If you were innuendo on my personal ego, actually my ego it is reaching the stars as I can be proud I made something (even if wrong), and this fact put me at least a foot over those who are stil blabbling and crying and sobbing in their endless futile chatting without rise a finger for the platform.

Perhaps I want to know what did they do to help platform exiting this javascript issues the people that are launched their critics at me.

And as tlosm righteously said, the ball is flying in the amigan side of the playfield, if nor Kas1e neither Fab were were capable of doing anything, then it just means it is the destiny that doomed us to lost even the chance to have a decent browser with modern features.

Raffaele 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 14:38:58
#75 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@tlosm

as I wrote... Raf will get the problems

It was a chaotic bounty, even after reading it several times I did not really understand what was the bounty text. It is no shame to ask people with more knowledge when doing something like that and then do it on power2people because people there have a understanding of quality and rules. Sorry to say that... if I read amigabounty...

Perhaps do explain me why on Power2People with all these people with understanding and super experts of quality and rules, there are 20 or 30 abandoned bounties with almost 2000 US$ stuck, that can't even be re-used for existing projects, as donors couldn't be reached anymore to ask them if perhaps they want the sums they donated being diverted on open useful projects.

tlosm 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 14:47:58
#76 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
but people have donated to get JIT on AmigaOS and will not get it

I dont think Jit will be possible on AmigaOs/Mos and Linux PPC too ... this becasue is not a fix and will be need a really big job and i dont think only tobias alone can do this in a fastest time... Plus i dont think a 500usd bounty will be sufficient for do job like this.
The only way for have jit working on PPC will be need a big bounty with money from:
LinuxPPC
AmigaOS
Morphos
MacOsX Leopard ... users.

Last edited by tlosm on 16-Aug-2016 at 03:11 PM.

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

OlafS25 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 14:49:25
#77 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

you cannot migrate money just because you think so... that happens frequently on amigabounty it seems, somebody said timberwolf bounty was more general at start and later (after wishes of friedens) bounty was changed but money kept. That is not possible on power2people because you can only change bounty before someone donates or with approval of all donators. In case of old bounties where donators dropped their email it is not possible to transfer money.

wawa 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 16:36:07
#78 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm
Kay. Javascript engine code may not be that much system dependant. Yet if the integration of the patch for os4 and mos was no problem it wouldnt be the subject of this thread. And without being itegrated the patch is worthless for any of the donors, right?

Im not sure if you have tried to compile odyssey for any platform as is without any modification. I started it with deadwoods help for 68k and didnt come that far (yet). Sure somone more skikled might try, yet i see none. Not even rafaelle who tries to act a manager, but thats it.

Raffaele 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 16:43:48
#79 ]

@tlosm

Actually there is bigfoot from MorphOS camp working to OWB JIT since a year, and he encountered another kind of issues. Variables and any other kind of data are stored in 64 bit, into tables organized in low endian order.
He almost completed the job but he said he enountered a sneaky little bug that appears in unusual circumstances, so at the moment he is unable to understand what part of code contains it and what are the premises that generate it.

To be joking, Bigfoot is a one little step from success.

Once he will find it, the JIT will be a reality, at least on MorphOS...

Last edited by Raffaele on 16-Aug-2016 at 04:53 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 16:51:35
#80 ]

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@tlosm

Im not sure if you have tried to compile odyssey for any platform as is without any modification. I started it with deadwoods help for 68k and didnt come that far (yet). Sure somone more skikled might try, yet i see none. Not even rafaelle who tries to act a manager, but thats it.

Have you ever seen me entering a group of programmers and scheduling their work as if I acted as I were their boss?

No?

So please do not appeal me with titles I am not worth of, neither I asked others call me so.

Sarcasm is sarcasm but you here tried to let me pass as exhalted person who is insanely trying to usurpate titles.

Under the terms of this site you are commiting an abuse. I will report you if you persist. You are warned.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle