Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 123 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  37 mins ago
 pavlor:  46 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 wakido:  5 hrs 27 mins ago
 bhabbott:  5 hrs 30 mins ago
 Karlos:  6 hrs 38 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  7 hrs 6 mins ago
 amigakit:  7 hrs 38 mins ago
 Matt3k:  8 hrs 55 mins ago
 RobertB:  9 hrs 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  tis the season!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: tis the season!
Posted on 12-Dec-2019 13:36:15
#61 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Oh no. Here we go again.

Profile     Report this post  
Nimrod 
Posted on 12-Dec-2019 23:15:31
#62 ]

@BigD
There is no historical evidence for the existence of the character "Jesus" and the biblical accounts of his early life are mutually contradictory.
Not only does the Christian religion not know what part of the year the principal boy in its pathetic little pantomime was supposedly born, they can't even pick consistent years.
Matthew's myth has him as a young child during the reign of Herod the great, which ended with his death in 4BC, while Luke's legend places the birth some time after Herod's successor in Judaea, Samaria, and Idumaea, (but NOT in Galilee) had been deposed by Augustus Caesar and Publius Sulpicius Quirinius was instructed to carry out a census of the newly acquired territories only as they were added to the Roman province of Syria for administration. Galilee did not come under direct Roman rule until long after Pontius Pilate was recalled to Rome by Caligula for being too harsh a ruler, making the story about Pilate as a vacillating weakling completely inaccurate.
In fact the bible is nothing more than an accretion of internally inconsistent and mutually contradictory plagiarised myths and legends, cobbled together in a web of lies and deceit.

klx300r 
Posted on 13-Dec-2019 4:51:22
#63 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod /all

please read post 18 on this thread before starting any religious debate on this thread...if you still feel the need to make such a post please start a 'never ending religous thread' else where ok

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

BigD 
Posted on 13-Dec-2019 9:35:15
#64 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

Luke 2:1-20 should be on your reading list to get you in the Christmas frame of mind. That along with 'Who Moved the Stone' to help your enquiring nature and your quest to uncover the truth about our Lord and Saviour. It's a noble endeavour and I pray that you find peace and assurance in Jesus' birth, life, death for our sins on the cross and resurrection that ultimately conquered death and gave us reason to hope! Maybe that's what you need; hope and meaning? I pray that you find what you are looking for. Merry Christmas!

More importantly, where's Elmer Fudd's Christmas hat?

Daedalus 
Posted on 13-Dec-2019 10:21:38
#65 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:

the truth about our Lord and Saviour.

LOL

BigD 
Posted on 13-Dec-2019 11:17:12
#66 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

Quote:
Daedalus wrote:
@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:

the truth about our Lord and Saviour.

LOL

That's really it though; either your interested in finding out more about the Christmas / Easter message of hope and reconciliation to God through Jesus or you're not! There is as has already been pointed out, little benefit in having a 'religious' debate here.

If you want to ignore Jesus and reject the good news of the Gospels then so be it. I fail to see why you and Nimrod wouldn't update your avatar regardless unless your aggressive secularism forces you be act like Scrooge! God bless you this Christmas whether you acknowledge the bearded Coca Cola marketing mascot or Jesus Christ!

Last edited by BigD on 13-Dec-2019 at 11:17 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 13-Dec-2019 11:22:47
#67 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

P.S. There's loads of pictures of Link with a Christmas hat on online! Simply choose one!

@Green Day Album / RAF Maritime Patrol Aircraft

Last edited by BigD on 13-Dec-2019 at 11:23 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 13-Dec-2019 17:08:03
#68 ]
Elite Member

what does some red hat with bobble have to do with christianity and its ideas, i dont get it.

BigD 
Posted on 13-Dec-2019 17:28:57
#69 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
what does some red hat with bobble have to do with christianity and its ideas, i dont get it.

It doesn't, it is to do with Coca Cola's annual marketing push 'Holidays are Coming' etc. That is why my avatar has a cross hiding behind a Christmas tree behind the Dune 2 Trooper!

The real meaning of Christmas is often shielded from view in our culture but we seem to getting to the point where it's not even tolerated to even mention the reason for the season!

Christmas avatars are simply a bit of fun on a website where we argue about the direction of the Amiga and why the Tabor / Vampire are delayed etc and quite frankly don't have enough fun and positivity IMHO! Why not have a little bit of festive cheer?

I personally might not think that Coca Cola and beardy men have anything to do with the real meaning of Christmas but at the end of the day I still drink coke and I have a Christmas tree! A tradition is fine as long as once in a while you realise it is not the main event; that privilege at this time of year is reserved for Jesus' birth. At least the children who performed in my daughter's nativity are aware of that. It's just a shame that we forget, become jaded, distracted and become obsessed with consumerism / beardy men from Lapland as the years go by. Let's reclaim some hope, peace, joy and love but please don't pretend that Jesus has nothing to say on these concepts (God is love, 1 John 4:7-21) especially as we remember his birth!

Happy Christmas! And if you want your avatar to have a Santa's hat / Christmas tree or accompanying donkey, star or shepherd etc then go for it!

Last edited by BigD on 13-Dec-2019 at 06:02 PM.

nbache 
Posted on 13-Dec-2019 22:15:09
#70 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:

beardy men from Lapland
Obviously you meant Greenland.

[ducks ...]

Best regards,

Niels

simplex 
Posted on 14-Dec-2019 5:25:28
#71 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:
Let's reclaim some hope, peace, joy and love but please don't pretend that Jesus has nothing to say on these concepts (God is love, 1 John 4:7-21) especially as we remember his birth!

Amen. And while I don't mean this as criticism, I rather like what he says in Matthew 5:43-48. That made a deep, haunting impression on me as a child, and I really don't think enough of the faithful take that seriously. Or pretty much all of the Sermon on the Mount (chapters 5-7).

I'll return to lurking now.

Last edited by simplex on 14-Dec-2019 at 05:27 AM.
Last edited by simplex on 14-Dec-2019 at 05:27 AM.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 14-Dec-2019 7:25:08
#72 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

VVVVVVVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Last edited by MEGA_RJ_MICAL on 14-Dec-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Last edited by MEGA_RJ_MICAL on 14-Dec-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Last edited by MEGA_RJ_MICAL on 14-Dec-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Last edited by MEGA_RJ_MICAL on 14-Dec-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Last edited by MEGA_RJ_MICAL on 14-Dec-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Last edited by MEGA_RJ_MICAL on 14-Dec-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Last edited by MEGA_RJ_MICAL on 14-Dec-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Last edited by MEGA_RJ_MICAL on 14-Dec-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Last edited by MEGA_RJ_MICAL on 14-Dec-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Last edited by MEGA_RJ_MICAL on 14-Dec-2019 at 07:28 AM.

Yssing 
Posted on 14-Dec-2019 21:37:46
#73 ]

It's about celebrating the light.
It has been for thousand of years.

But still no Tabor 😞😞😞

BigD 
Posted on 14-Dec-2019 22:19:09
#74 ]
Elite Member

@Yssing

Quote:
It's about celebrating the light.

Too right!

John 8:12

Quote:
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

Interestingly:

In the Bible, Tabor is the name of the mountain that stood on the border between northern and southern Israel.

... kinda like a a high point and bridge between two encampments! Hopefully the system will be a bridge between the old and new reflecting the "Computers of the masses not the classes" mantra of Commodore and a high point of the AmigaOne NG path.

Yssing 
Posted on 14-Dec-2019 23:23:40
#75 ]

@BigD

Quote:
In the Bible, Tabor is the name of the mountain that stood on the border between northern and southern Israel.

I did not know that.

BigD 
Posted on 14-Dec-2019 23:51:29
#76 ]
Elite Member

@Yssing

Even more relevantly for this time of year:

Quote:
Mount Tabor is believed to be the place of the Transfiguration of Jesus Christ, where Jesus began to radiate light and conversed with Moses and Elijah.

...In Christian teachings, the transfiguration is a pivotal moment, and the setting on the mountain is presented as the point where human nature meets God: the meeting place of the temporal and the eternal, with Jesus himself as the connecting point, acting as the bridge between heaven and earth.[10]

So not only was the Tabor mountain a bridge between north and south Israel but between Heaven and Earth with Jesus as the connection point! So we celebrate Jesus as the light of the world this Christmas and the Tabor bringing light and hope to the Amiga-World and a 'transfigured' AmigaOne experience in 2020!

wawa 
Posted on 15-Dec-2019 12:15:36
#77 ]
Elite Member

second coming as a computer?

BigD 
Posted on 15-Dec-2019 12:21:01
#78 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

A-EON have definitely had a mountain to climb (Holy one or otherwise) to bring the Tabor to market. I guess the fact the motherboard needed a revision due to obsolete components means it is kinda like a second coming for the Tabor!

Daedalus 
Posted on 17-Dec-2019 9:43:16
#79 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:

That's really it though; either your interested in finding out more about the Christmas / Easter message of hope and reconciliation to God through Jesus or you're not! There is as has already been pointed out, little benefit in having a 'religious' debate here.

I'm quite familiar with the messages offered by your mediaeval religious scriptures, and while many of them are noble in substance, I find that you can be an even better person by avoiding all the negative baggage that comes with subscribing to almost any organised religion. If you need an old book of fairytales in order to tell right from wrong, there's something quite worrisome about your moral compass.

Quote:
unless your aggressive secularism forces you be act like Scrooge!

The fact that you think it's threatening to have your faith challenged speaks volumes. I note that your avatar lacks a Christmas hat too... Is that a sign from the gods that you should rethink your faith?

Quote:
God bless you this Christmas whether you acknowledge the bearded Coca Cola marketing mascot or Jesus Christ!

And may Brigid bless you and yours for the pagan festival you celebrate, and ward over your family such that they survive the harsh winter and live to see a bountiful and peaceful spring.

When you say "acknowledge", how could I not acknowledge both for what they are? Both mystical, make-believe characters used through the hears for the control of others. Both offer messages of peace and kindness that any decent person would acknowledge and arrive at themselves without the suspense of disbelief required to participate in the rest of the religious shenanigans. In essence, they're actually very similar; Jesus is basically Santa for grown-ups. Still make-believe, but without the hat and the reindeer.

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Dec-2019 14:15:25
#80 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

Quote:
I'm quite familiar with the messages offered by your mediaeval religious scriptures, and while many of them are noble in substance, I find that you can be an even better person by avoiding all the negative baggage that comes with subscribing to almost any organised religion.

Well, I don't think the point of it is to just be a better person. Not everyone could make themselves a better person on their own steam. And as I say, being good is good for nothing. People trying to be good for goodness sake, can get trampled on by those who are being bad. And the good guys just don't rake in the chicks.

Quote:
If you need an old book of fairytales in order to tell right from wrong, there's something quite worrisome about your moral compass. Quote:

How is this compass magnetised? I mean, by what standard to we determine right and wrong? Without an absolute authority to determine it right and wrong are just relative. People can do things good for themselves that are bad others, while others can do bad things and acknowledge it isn't good. Meanings change and also what is considered good and bad in society. So what we call good and bad can become a meaningless construct.

Quote:
And may Brigid

Who is Brigid? Is she cute?

Quote:
Both offer messages of peace and kindness that any decent person would acknowledge and arrive at themselves without the suspense of disbelief required to participate in the rest of the religious shenanigans. In essence, they're actually very similar; Jesus is basically Santa for grown-ups

Peace and kindness is only one part of it. Infact Jesus says it will divide people as well. And reducing it to that is grossly understating the gospel. A Holy God does not send His Son to die a horrible and gruesome death bcauuse He was making a point about nice. That's ridiculous! Absolutely ludicrous that would be.

Either Jesus is real and died for our sins. Or isn't and can be forgotton about. But somehow a large portion of the world based a calendar system on a guy for the past 2,000 years that no one can agree existed or not. Which is also kind of ridiculous.There is truth and there is tradition.

Last edited by Hypex on 17-Dec-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle