Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 aerocitygirls:  10 mins ago
 ncafferkey:  32 mins ago
 Hypex:  35 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 utukku:  2 hrs ago
 DWolfman:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 31 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  µ-A1 news update
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
Eagle 
Re: µ-A1 news update
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 6:01:49
#41 ]

@LaBodilsen

The 44 pin header IS for 2.5" drives. That's a nice feature. IF I was going to buy an A1 it would be the U-a1-I. The CF slot is cool. I'd have a 1G CF card and boot off of it.
ATA133 is good, too.

Firewire and Gigabit ethernet are also nice. Too bad it doesn't use a socket. I'd prefer something over 1Ghz.

Unfortunately, the price is too high for me to consider one. I'll have to wait until quantity buying brings the price down.

Profile     Report this post  
Eagle 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 6:07:10
#42 ]

@ikir

I have.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 7:07:38
#43 ]

@Eyetech

And to think I only started this thread about a week ago.
Amigas in the shops by Christmas?
Ah, hang a mo.....

Does this mean we CAN find A1s in the shops, or is it entirely mail order for now?

What is the distribution going to be like?
Will there be a marketing campaign and advertisements?

Ah, is this 'case' you're talking about Alan, going to be a PC case bought off the shelf or custom built by you for the Amiga community?
When's that coming out do you think?
I don't suppose you could talk to the Fantasy project guys about their 1200/500ish case?
And while you're reading why not ask Commodore/Tulip to build the case for you. It'd be nice to see a re-unification of the good ol' Commodore and Amiga brand names perhaps by licensing that brand too. They'd probably be eager to do it, and it probably fits into both of your plans well.

Is Eyetech supplying the set-top boxes to KMOS or only the mobo? Is the set-top going to have the 'I' or 'E' mobo variant?

Congratulations on meeting a major milestone.

Eagle 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 7:16:54
#44 ]

@Troels

I imagine the price on the "I" model will drop alot once "industrial customers start buying in quantity.

I'm wondering at the wisdom of having both models. Since the "I" model should sell alot more quantity it should quickly be cheaper than the "C" model. Then, the only reason to buy the "C" model would be for the cpu socket.

Hammer 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 9:55:04
#45 ]
Elite Member

@DrBombcrater

Quote:
Still, there are plenty of worse chips out there. The uA1 could have ended up with some miserable SiS or Trident thing.

Note that, SIS Xaber 400/600 would beat ATI Radeon 7000.

Intel?s Extreme Graphics (without ATI?s IP) could be worst?

Crumb 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 11:17:00
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Eyetech

Oh my god! this is sooooOOooo expensive!

How can a PPC750FX be so expensive? Sorry, but I can't believe it. I guess these are the G3s you bought 2 years ago at the price of two years ago... 170 pounds = 255?... sorry but I don't believe it.

Don't tell me that a G3 is slightly faster than a G4 in integer operations because when Altivec apps become available you will realize of the real advantage of using G4s. If I really wanted a speed inprovement I would launch an Altivec app.

The latest Motorola G4s at 1.3Ghz and so only cost around 170? (and you'll see it RSN in other companies products).

And I guess that in the commercial model you are simply reusing the MK2 design without any change. The idea of soldering the ram to the Motherboard was pretty good and the idea of adding firewire and ethernet gigabit in the consumer option too.

You already know that no one but you can produce risers with AGP slot (working as pci).

500?+75? of OS4 without VAT!!!! that's 667? with VAT included! 667? for a G3? not even a G4 option? you must have an entire room full of G3s you planned to sell with the A1-XEs. I guess you have realized no one wants a G3 and the price difference between a G4 and a G3 is so ridiculous that no one wants a G3. But you still want to sell all these g3s you bought. And these aren't passively cooled G3s...

Why don't you even give the option of using a G4??? where's the advantage of having the MegArray slot if I don't have the option of using a faster cpu?

I'm quite dissapointed with the price. I'll buy OS4 for my CS-PPC and that's all I'll do... (and buying a cheaper and faster Amiga-like solution)

Damn! I'm happy of MicroA1 becoming reality but... the price is sooo high you won't have many buyers

We at CUAZ were quite interested in the machine, but all of us expected a G4 or at least the option of using one. For 666? I would have expected a 1Ghz G4...

The price is very high but at least give us the option of using a G4. I prefer a 600Mhz G4 instead of a G3@800Mhz...

I'm sad with your decissions

I guess the real reason of forcing us to use G3s is that you bought a high number of G3s for the A1-XE and you didn't sell many of them and you want to differenciate both products...

I won't enter the linux issues again (I know that ArticiaS can work well with DMA because OS4 is working well, but please, try to make MAI release a more DMA stable kernel. THe problem isn't that it can't be done, the problem as Olegil says is that MAI doesn't put enough interest in fixing the issues)

255? for a G3? that must be the price of two years ago...

@Moderators:
I hope my post doesn't sound trollish, but I would like that eyetech at least gave us the option of buying a G4 as they did with the A1-XE. If you want I won't complain more in these two threads of microA1... but the price is so high that I want Eyetech to know that most of remaining spanish users won't buy one (and will end up buying other products)... and in the east of europe we won't see many MicroA1... this is a sad day. FYI I'm developing an app that used with glade could automate quite a lot the process of creating GUIs for Amiga in Reaction (and it already generates OS4 code -a bit buggy because I don't have a machine to try it-) so remember that i'm not a troll, just an angry developer and user :(

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 12:02:10
#47 ]
Elite Member

@Crumb

Did you really need to post this twice?

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 12:04:18
#48 ]

@bojan_bozovic

Quote:
Not! uA1 has no true AGP port, with PCI riser cards will share bandwidth! And PCI is 32bit@33MHz
Simply, PCI will not be fast enough to populate gfx card memory fast enough, at least where it will matter most -in 3d!

I'm afraid you don't seem to understand how graphics cards work. The speed of the bus between the graphics chip and the video memory is critical to the card's performance. The GPU places massive demands on the memory system as it is constantly reading in texture and geometry data, performing operations on that data, and writing it back. It's common for the performance of a card to drop by at least 40% when the memory bus is switched from 128-bit to 64-bit, and the Radeon VE is hit harder by this than most because it lacks any of the memory usage optimisations of newer designs.

This thrist for data is why modern graphics cards have staggeringly fast memory on them. Speeds of greater tham 20GB/sec are present even in mid-range cards now, because the faster the memory bus the faster the GPU can spit out frames.

Colin_Camper 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 12:37:21
#49 ]

@Intuitioned

Quote:
@Americans,

Yeah.. Rip off Britain! You don't hear it so much now but it still goes on. Like i-tunes 79p in United Crapdom and 59p in the rest of Europe.

Once, a long time ago, I was fed up with books. Rodney Zaks - Programming the Z80 (I told you it was a long time ago!) $29 or £27. So I went to the travel shop next door and asked for $30. I went back in the bookshop and plopped the book on the counter and waived the $30 at them. They told me that they wouldnt accept dollars even though it said on the back of the book that it was $29 - I kicked up such a stink (It was busy!) - they let me have the book for £18 - I was still up on the deal by a fiver by the time I changed the dollars back!

Talking of books - maybe Hyperion can get a good book out on OS4 dev - it would sell thousands of copies - not bad for a computer book.

DoodooHead 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 12:42:42
#50 ]
Cult Member

@Colin_Camper

Quote:
Talking of books - maybe Hyperion can get a good book out on OS4 dev

I think they are busy with another project at this time.

PulsatingQuasar 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 12:51:08
#51 ]
Cult Member

@Colin_Camper

That's actually a good idea. I would buy that book immediatly.

Colin_Camper 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 12:51:25
#52 ]

@Intuitioned

Quote:
I look forward to having a PPC Amiga. It's not the fastest machine in the world but my last Amiga ran at 25Mhz so it is going to be very interesting indeed.

I agree. This comment says it all. You can't compare the prices with PC kit because it is niche hardware and it's silly to worry about performance over 500MHz or graphics beyond Voodoo3 because the applications just are not there yet. (I have a 25Mhz A4000).
I think Eyetech have done a good job with this - we all want it to be cheaper but they have to perform a balancing act. The main thing is that, at last, we have a product that can compete in price with Pegasos AND can be a viable platform for PPC Linux. And it's coming in October!

bojan_bozovic 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 13:01:15
#53 ]

@DrBombcrater

Uhh, I guess you are 100% right. I thought CPU <--> GFX speed is more important than it is, obviously

Anonymous 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 13:06:50
# ]

@Moaning buggers

I don't know where the hell you get the idea that this new miggy is expensive. I remember paying over 700 quid for the 030 accelerator for my 2000 back in the day.. With inflation added on to that, that comes to...

erm...

Well, a damn sight more than what the new Amiga's are..

And that was when the Amiga was popular!

/Neil Bothwick Mode

Report this post  
poweramiga2002 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 13:22:00
#55 ]

@DruidPoet

I know i paid $2000 for my ppc accelorator for A1200 $300 for grex $500 for 10 gig laptop interal drive + 700 for A1200 monitor $400 add it up and thats
$3900
i could get 2 A1 comps for that or four micro A1 comps

so yes its cheap by all standards

falcon1 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 14:19:04
#56 ]

@Colin_Camper
Quote:
product that can compete in price with Pegasos

I bought
peg2 with microATX case
7447@1000Mhz CPU (G4)
512MB DDR400
Radeon7000 AGP 64MB DDR
40GB hard drive
CDROM drive
and MorphOS (as microA1's do include OS4, too)

for 870 euros (with taxes but without P&P)
Everything bought from an Amiga dealer (not assembled with various components bought from the net to obtain the cheapest possible machine...)
So, do you really think microA1 are competitive in terms of price?
I don't think so...

And as long as Mai (or someone else) rovide a decent linux kernel with modules adapted to ArticiaS "feature", it can't be a viable platform for PPC Linux.. sorry, for NOW it's only aimed at OS4.

BTW 7447 G4s are less power hungry than 750FX....

Coder 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 14:23:57
#57 ]
Team Member

@PulsatingQuasar

Quote:
That's actually a good idea. I would buy that book immediatly.

Same here. I would buy all of them.

Coder

elwood 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 14:30:38
#58 ]
Elite Member

@DruidPoet

Quote:
I don't know where the hell you get the idea that this new miggy is expensive.

Thanks. I thought I was the only one to think it's not expensive.
Do we want a crap PC at a low price ? No, we want a good hardware and a good OS and we'll get it !
It's exactly the same as a few years ago when we all bought our Classic...

Amiga Translator Organisation

vortexau 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 14:51:45
#59 ]
Elite Member

To ALL those who say that they cannot afford the µ-A1. . .
. . . please learn how to budget!

I bought my (more expensive) A1XE G4 when I had been out of work for more than three years!
The idea is to eliminate non-essentials from your shopping-list!
To me - a Twenty-First Century PPC Amiga is an essential!

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 15:03:10
#60 ]

@falcon1

Quote:
and MorphOS (as microA1's do include OS4, too)

Errrrr..... No.
No, A1s no longer come with the board now that the earlybird offer is over.
You have to pay extra for OS4.
I really hate to say it, but.......you got a point there falcon1.

Ummmm....I don't get it. How are Genesi doing it so cheap?

Please, this isn't trolling. I just don't get it.
The price is working out as advertising for Genesi by a mile.
I'm not gonna rush out and buy a PegasOS....but.....its starting to enter my head which is worrying.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle