Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
4 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  5 mins ago
 clint:  25 mins ago
 K-L:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 Glames:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 dispiter:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  New mac mini
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 )
PosterThread
Hammer 
Re: New mac mini
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 12:28:02
#381 ]
Elite Member

@nomore

Refer to HDV format (MPEG2 + DV)... One could google Apple + iMovie HD + HDV. (Sigh)... Are sure you have iMovie HD installed?

Profile     Report this post  
IonMane 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 12:37:07
#382 ]
Cult Member

@Hammer

Quote:
Refer to Apple's Flagship PowerMac G5 if medium-tower concept was wrong.

We are not talking about a G5 medium tower here so this point has no bearing on the subject at hand.
Quote:
Internal expandability beyond external devices i.e. a feature found on Apple's flagship PowerMac G5.

same again
Quote:
It's a matter for the consumer to make this judgement. Building small or medium or large computers is not a major technical issue i.e. it?s a matter of priority given by its manufactures and its intended consumers.

Exactly, a consumer looking for expandability will not buy the mini mac period.A person looking for a small solution that will save space will not go for a tower, the two are mutally exclusive from this perspective. Therefore the only way to get an accurate comparison is for both solutions be the same approximate size.It should not be too difficult to find a mini itx solution to do a real comparison with.I disagree that the size of computer has little impact on the cost of a computer.If this was the case I would have a laptop not a tower on my desk right now.
Quote:
FX5100 would run most other games that are not "tech demo" games.

Being able to run a game and it being displayed at a playable standard are two differant things.The 5500 solution with 256 MB on board video ram is better, but you really need 512 MB of main ram or you will still find your images will be displayed faster if they were sent by mail.
Quote:
At least Geforce FX5100 is better than graphic card that was bundled with DOOM3 bundle (refer to Australia?s Harvey Norman** Geforce 4 MX 4000/DOOM3 bundle offer).

Yep, I fully agree. This was an absolute abysmal effort in my opinion.Harvey norman was just trying to get rid of stock.

nomore 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 13:36:37
#383 ]

@Hammer

Quote:

Refer to HDV format (MPEG2 + DV)... One could google Apple + iMovie HD + HDV. (Sigh)... Are sure you have iMovie HD installed?

I use Final Cut Express 2, not iMovie.

Hammer 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 23:57:06
#384 ]
Elite Member

@IonMane

Quote:
We are not talking about a G5 medium tower here so this point has no bearing on the subject at hand.

There are multiple subjects at hand i.e. one them was 'features at a given price'. This encapsulates every thing. Note, PowerMac G5 can be treated as another PC.

Quote:

Exactly, a consumer looking for expandability will not buy the mini mac period. A person looking for a small solution that will save space will not go for a tower, the two are mutally exclusive from this perspective.

Well, IBM was selling a small foot print PCs with Thinkpad's Ultradrive. I wouldn't say they are successful relative to HP, DELL and ACER.

Quote:

Therefore the only way to get an accurate comparison is for both solutions be the same approximate size. It should not be too difficult to find a mini itx solution to do a real comparison with. I disagree that the size of computer has little impact on the cost of a computer.If this was the case I would have a laptop not a tower on my desk right now.

I'm keeping this strictly Tier 1 vs Tier 1.

In www.tech-report.com, their counter OSview posting was an AMD K7 Sempr0n/SFF based.

Quote:
I disagree that the size of computer has little impact on the cost of a computer.If this was the case I would have a laptop not a tower on my desk right now.

In a large extent it doesn?t i.e. economic of scale issues and general PC market demands.

With laptops, 15in/17in TFT screen, 60WattHr Li-ion, keyboard, touchpad, MXM Video card (mini-Gfx cards), laptop CD/DVD drives are cost factors. Please config a Mac-Mini with these included. One may refer to Apple's iBook or PowerBook prices.

Refer to pricewatch.com or newegg for PC laptop prices.

Last edited by Hammer on 20-Jan-2005 at 01:17 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 20-Jan-2005 at 12:02 AM.

Hammer 
Posted on 20-Jan-2005 0:39:25
#385 ]
Elite Member

@IonMane

Quote:
Being able to run a game and it being displayed at a playable standard are two differant things.The 5500 solution with 256 MB on board video ram is better, but you really need 512 MB of main ram or you will still find your images will be displayed faster if they were sent by mail.

They are playable i.e. sizable chunks of the OS gets swapped to VM and textures are loaded into FX5500?s onboard 256MB memory. While playing games, multi-tasking would $uck btw.

GPU?s onboard memory and AGP texture memory works like a water fall effect i.e. GPU?s onboard memory will be filled up first before using AGP texture memory insurance. Most games have a degree of scalability e.g. DOOM3 (designed with XBOX in mind)

The system configured is not an Alienware51 style game box. It was not priced to be a screamer at games and benchmark crazy PC.

Last edited by Hammer on 20-Jan-2005 at 12:42 AM.

BukkY 
Posted on 22-Jan-2005 2:33:40
#386 ]

Right this minute I'm downloading some indie music on LimeWire through cable internet, playing 160kbps MP3s with software equalize and sound enhancement turned all the way up through a high end home system, burning a VideoCD through Toast, and surfing the net with dual displays (extended desktop) all at the same time. Not uncommon maybe but I'm on a 4 your old 400Mhz PowerBook with 8mb video card, OS X 10.3 (Panther) with all of 384Mb RAM with all eye candy turned on. Reminds me of the good ol days on my A500

/ A happy camper.

How to crack a Mini: Video on this site (Click)

Mini undergoing exploratory surgery Here

Last edited by BukkY on 22-Jan-2005 at 02:57 AM.
Last edited by BukkY on 22-Jan-2005 at 02:46 AM.
Last edited by BukkY on 22-Jan-2005 at 02:43 AM.
Last edited by BukkY on 22-Jan-2005 at 02:35 AM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 1-Feb-2005 22:15:27
# ]

Well, I picked up the Mac Mini on Sunday. I got the 1.42 Ghz / 80 Gb drive / 256 Mb ram. You get it, knowing that it is freakishly small, and then you open the box (which my wife loved).

It really is freakishly small.

Holy cow.

Anyway, we hooked it, copied her mail, her files and had it up and running in about an hour (including yanking the PC out of the space and dusting).

It seems to handle everything very well - surfing, mail, playing video, music.

So far, so good.

More in a few weeks once we've gotten used to it.

..But, it still isn't an Amiga. But it is what I think it could have been, or will be.

Report this post  
The_Editor 
Posted on 1-Feb-2005 22:27:20
#388 ]
Elite Member

@AmiNTT

I'm thinking of installing Mac Minis in our new startup ....

Any kewl office software bundled with that ?

Anonymous 
Posted on 2-Feb-2005 9:30:47
# ]

@The_Editor
Quote:
Any kewl office software bundled with that ?

iLife '05 and AppleWorks 6.

And of course, it is crunching keys for Team Amiga.

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle