Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 99 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  1 min ago
 NomadOfNorad:  7 mins ago
 Lou:  25 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 jacadcaps:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 18 mins ago
 zErec:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 djnick:  4 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  The A1-XC board may come soon.....
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
billt 
Re: The A1-XC board may come soon.....
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 18:03:40
#81 ]
Elite Member

@DrBombcrater
>And I agree the PCI-X slots could be an ace in the hole. Being able to dedicate 1GB/sec of
>bandwidth to devices like a GB ethernet card or SATA controller without tying up the rest of the
>system is an excellent facility.

The only real problem with PCI-X is that most of the rest of the world skipped over it. I've never seen any PCI-X cards in the local PC superstores. I'm sure you can find web stores to order a few such things from though, but I'd be happier to see PCI-Express implemented than PCI-X, just because of availability of cards to put there... I saw PCI-Express mentioned in the Articia I press release from a year ago, but how long will it be before a G5 Teron is made for us to work with?

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 18:09:23
# ]

@Restore2003

You know? I think that the TeronPX Rv2 design, that will form the final A1XC, is the one that will form the ideal design for AmigaOne G5-systems at a later date, using Articia I chipset, and then the Teron PX Revision 2 board will be
modified to become the Teron I design for AmigaOne G5-generation, no doubt

Report this post  
wegster 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 19:38:53
#83 ]
Elite Member

@billt
PCI-X and PCI-express currently target different segments. I don't keep up on the fine details of specs like these any more, so I'm not sure they are nescessarily at odds, although I believe the max trhoughput is amuch higher on PCI-express....but in the current market:

PCI-express is aimed at replacing AGP and is basically already doing so, but it's a video specific port, aimed at increased throughput. Current PCI-express cards are mostly the same level as performance as AGP8x, but there is additional bandwidth available for newer cards.

PCI-X is an evolution of the standard PCI bus, running at 100Mhz or 133Mhz (there may be faster, not positive), and also has some hot-swap ability for some systems...not sure if this is inherent in the specification or not. Current 'real' uses include RAID cards, fiber HBAs, and dual or quad server NIC cards.

'local PC superstores' aren't really 'super'- they generally offer a large amount of mediocrity. Most people that need PCI-X cards generally purchase them at the same time as a pre-built server, or buy them direct from their system vendor.

Interesting 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 19:45:22
#84 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@Helgis

Quote:
You know? I think that the TeronPX Rv2 design, that will form the final A1XC, is the one that will form the ideal design for AmigaOne G5-systems at a later date, using Articia I chipset, and then the Teron PX Revision 2 board will be
modified to become the Teron I design for AmigaOne G5-generation, no doubt

Where did you find the specs for the TeronPX Rv2 design?

Eric_S 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 19:49:13
#85 ]
Team Member

@Interesting

He hasn't found the specs, he's just wildly speculating and trying to make it sound like he's got inside information in an attempt to be "cool".

Anonymous 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 20:04:11
# ]

@Eric_S

Actually you're a bit wrong. DrBomCrater is the one who came up with the specifications, and they don't really sound unrealistic at all, and he is the one who showed off that Teron PX RV2-design...

Specualations maybe, yes, but nobody did say anything about this being a news-item, right? And this is a forum where we discuss everything about the Amiga, right? So i think i am the one here who has really understood the point about saying all these things here...

And i am not trying to be cool, but realistic and as honest as possible. I think that should be respected, or what? Being honest take you everywhere.
Being a lionar and cheater take you nowhere! It's as simple as that!

Report this post  
Wol 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 20:04:29
#87 ]

@ all

Well i would prefer more slots, AGP,PCI, PCIexpress or whatever,
at least 5+ ,pref 7.

Got 7 Z3 slot's in my A4000 and that's not enough, need at least
10 to put most of my stuff in.

Wol..

Turambar 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 20:17:09
#88 ]

@Helgis

Actually you're a bit wrong, DrBombcrater posted a pic and the specs of the revision 1 board and stated that he wasnt willing to discuss the specs of the revision 2 board.

Mr.Return 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 20:17:20
#89 ]

@fisk

Welcome aboard

Anonymous 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 20:44:01
# ]

Fine, if that is the kind of pessicmism we're going to have, then we should just dump the whole Amiga thing and go buy a modern PC with Windows XP!

At least a modern PC with Windows XP seems to have everything up-to-date!
Hardware and software, and games and applications! ALl of them up-to-date!
Amiga isn't even that close yet! How SAD is that? I'm sick and tired of it!

The Amiga-developers really needs to get their fingers out of their butthole and really start to work even harder to make these Amiga dreams become true!

I'm sick and tired of wasting another 10 years of my life waiting for something new and promising to the Amiga market! Yes, we have the AmigaOne and a Pre-OS4.0 with Update 2, but that is only halfway from the first steps to really become up-to-date with the PC-platform!

Report this post  
_Steve_ 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 21:52:21
#91 ]
Team Member

@Helgis

Nobody was being pessimistic. They are being realistic though. Just because MAI have a reference board on theor site, that does not immediately mean that Eyetech are going to snap it up and market it as the next evolution of AmigaOne.

Also, there are no firm specifications publically announced on these reference board revisions, so speculation of the nature you are currently doing is currently a little pointless. This is all a majority of the answers I have seen on the two threads you have brought ihis up on have said.

_Steve_ 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 21:55:08
#92 ]
Team Member

@Helgis

Quote:
The Amiga-developers really needs to get their fingers out of their butthole and really start to work even harder to make these Amiga dreams become true!

And that kind of attitude is sure to royally p*** a lot of developers off. Any person who is able to develop currently is developing. It isn't a simple and fast process. It takes time. Be patient. It isn't like they have a budget the size of a small countries GDP and the workforce of a major capital city (unlike Microsoft).

Troels 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 21:58:53
#93 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis - You're a dreamer (Aren't we all...)

The cheapest board that can utilise current available RAM, features AGPx4+, USB2.0 and Firewire gets my vote.

I don't mind if it isn't too upgradeable as long as it just works as advertised. I think we need a CHEAP(er) route to get OS4 and it certainly doesn't look like the XC board will be it.

Maybe something along the line Fisk suggested would be better, also seems to fit Eyetechs industrial market (Embedded stuff) better unless they are going to try the server market (where they will prob. die fast!).

Anyway a G4 based XC board won't impress any old Amiga users , or others from outside our community (would take min. a G5). But I do think a cheaper alternative might convince them to give it a try if they see OS4 perform great on it.

Maybe ACK could do a board like this and let Eyetech distribute it?

Any CPU faster than 1ghz when running OS4 is actually un-necesary if you ask me, price and I/O features are MUCH more important IMHO.

Amon_Re 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 22:01:15
#94 ]

@Helgis

Quote:
I'm sick and tired of wasting another 10 years of my life waiting for something new and promising to the Amiga market! Yes, we have the AmigaOne and a Pre-OS4.0 with Update 2, but that is only halfway from the first steps to really become up-to-date with the PC-platform!

Get of your lazy arse & do something, learn to code, betatest, but don't come b*tching like that, it ain't helping

Amon_Re 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 22:03:35
#95 ]

@Amon_Re

To give an example, the whole source directory for OpenOffice.org is somewhere arround 1.5GB (or 12884901888 characters), it takes alot of time to go through that, if you want to speed things up, HELP speed them up.

zerohero 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 22:05:37
#96 ]
Team Member

@Amon_Re

Wouldn't just be easier if we just beat his a** out of here?

Regards,

Jocke 'Zerohero' Birging with a big ;)

Anonymous 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 22:06:43
# ]

I'm sorry. That's all i want to say...We'll see what happens...

Report this post  
DoodooHead 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 22:09:42
#98 ]
Cult Member

@Helgis

Quote:

I think you have unreal expectations. No one has said that when OS4.0 is released it will be up-to-date with the PC-platform. I believe the plan is to be PPC native. It was never planned to compete head to head against Microsoft. If you want state of the art hardware that you can relpace every six months to stay current, buy a PC.

Quote:

How dare you! These OS developers are working hard in there spare time for little or no pay on something they are willing to let us use when they are done. Don't whine about the gift you are receiving! If you aren't helping, don't criticize those who are.

If developement is too slow, and hardware not advanced enough for you, then maybe this isn't the right computer platform for you. I have a Mac and a 3 Ghz PC, but when I come home from work, I power up my Amigaone to surf the web and read my emails. I wonder why that is?

Amon_Re 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 22:09:56
#99 ]

@Helgis

With an attitude like "we'll see what happens" you won't get very far, take the initiative, BE CREATIVE for crying out loud, you have a brain, us it

Last edited by Amon_Re on 25-Jan-2005 at 10:10 PM.

billt 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 22:17:49
#100 ]
Elite Member

@wegster
>'local PC superstores' aren't really 'super'- they generally offer a large amount of mediocrity.
>Most people that need PCI-X cards generally purchase them at the same time as a pre-built
>server, or buy them direct from their system vendor.

Exactly my point, and why PCI-X doesn't excite me very much. This can certainly be very desirable for Eyetech's industrial systems business, but for you and me as consumer-grade consumers, what does it really offer us? I personally don't have much use for RAID or fiber HBAs or quad server nic cards... Even in my high-capacity PC the drives are not Raided, there's just two normal IDE drives adding up to 360gig on a normal parallel IDE bus.

The high-end PC that you or I or our friends would use is moving from AGP to PCI-Express, and at some point the AGP bus will go the way of PCI graphics cards. Still out there, yet not kept up to spec with PCI-Express models just like PCI cards aren't kept up to spec with their AGP bretheren these days. Do we want to again end up left out of what consumers actually put in their computers, or have to deal with "elite" price tags for harder to find and lower in variety PCI-X cards while our PC using friends get the equivalent at the PC superstore for noticably lower prices, and have much wider variety to choose from than we would?

I can't name one person that could tell me, without looking it up, where one might get a PCI-X graphics card of any chipset or generation of same, or single 10/100 ethernet card, or single gigabit ethernet card... Can you? Do you think that situation is a good one?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle