Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
5 crawler(s) on-line.
 67 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  34 secs ago
 CosmosUnivers:  38 mins ago
 bhabbott:  45 mins ago
 amigakit:  49 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 Livebyfaith:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 t0lkien:  3 hrs 5 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  New Amiga Inc. website!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
Amon_Re 
Re: New Amiga Inc. website!
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:31:53
#101 ]

@BobW

It's not the end of the world, but the site *is* disapointing, what i did notice is that KMOS (now Ainc) consists of more then just Garry Hare & Bill McEwen, there's 2 more people, Greg Segel and Vince Pfeifer, Product Manger for Amiga applications.

The Manger part is a copy & paste job, there are afew typo's all over the site.

I'm not going to say it's the end (the fat lady ain't screaming yet) but the site is a missed opertunity when it comes to PR.

Profile     Report this post  
BobW 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:34:04
#102 ]

@smithy

Quote:
Exactly. But as "the development of future versions of the Amiga Operating System is not available for third party development or distribution" then who else will do it? The answer: nobody. Because the complete lack of prominance of AmigaOS on their site reflects their priorities rather well I think.

A dead Amiga Inc is no good for anyone. They are a business and they need to make money. So where are they supposed to make this money? Selling their wares to a handfull of die hard Amiga fans?

I don't tink their priorities have changed with the release of this new site. All the usual trolls are just using this as an excuse to spread doom and gloom.

Oh my God! the sky is falling!

BobW 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:38:04
#103 ]

@Amon_Re

Quote:
I'm not going to say it's the end (the fat lady ain't screaming yet) but the site is a missed opertunity when it comes to PR.

So what were they supposed to do? Post a bunch of promises that they couldn't keep?

This site is simple and it seems to just state the facts. No fluff.

Nihilvor 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:41:58
#104 ]

@BobW

While we knew Amiga was all about Amiga DE, there was an obvious change in plans for Kmos, apparently (see my post two or three back). I don't think it's doom and gloom (we still have Hyperion), just genuine disappointment that Garry Hare, or perhaps his original "customer" did not come through. I, personally, don't have any complaints with regards to the Amiga redesign, except that it has no OS 4 content and no forum (or other community content), so I have no reason to go back there.

Amon_Re 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:44:12
#105 ]

@BobW

Quote:
So what were they supposed to do?
Post a bunch of promises that they couldn't keep?

I'm not disapointed by the content, i'm disapointed by the look & presentation, hope that's clear enough for ya

Oh, and those typo's do need fixing

The site is simple, yes, but it doesn't look inviting, the only reason i read the damned thing is because i have an intrest in the Amiga.

Replace those icons, reshape the layout, and for the love of god, rescale that slots machine picture, that would be a start.

Englyst 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:45:29
#106 ]

@ikir

Well, I disabled the security certificate option (I use a digital signature for my banking and pucblic service needs) and it now works. But that's the ONLY site I've ever had problems with.

I would do a better design for free.. It's not a very good way to display Amiga Inc. as a company with such a homepage, especially in regards to future deals with other companies. I know I would be doubtful of their proffesionalism and seriousness with that kind of design and the kid with the T-shirt and AOS5 statement. It just smells like a bad fan site made by a beginner.. Sorry but that's just my opinion.

*moving off the soapbox*

Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:48:41
# ]

Hi Nihilvor wrote:

Maybe, just maybe the forum is being re-designed? I don't know, BUT this place suites any and all needs, anyway. (Not that all the other sites aren't good, they also do have merits.)

Report this post  
BobW 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:49:02
#108 ]

@Nihilvor

I guess it has a lot to do with expectations. I never thought that new management was going to step in and save the Amiga World.

I wouldn't read too much into the content of the site. The fact of the matter is the only product they currently have to sell is AmigaDE. You can't really sell OS 4 if it's not finished and you don't own it.

Beeblebrox 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:49:54
#109 ]

@Amon_Re

no, what should be raplaced is Amiga Inc. Hyperion or any other serious company with an interest in what Amiga was and is - and not an interest in the name Amiga should get any Amiga patents and Amiga names ! Hyperion: why not get these names and patents when Amiga Inc. gets bancrupt again...

BobW 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:51:27
#110 ]

@Englyst

Quote:
It's not a very good way to display Amiga Inc. as a company with such a homepage, especially in regards to future deals with other companies

Business decisions and partnerships are not based on web pages. Thats just not reality.

Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:55:18
# ]

Hi BobW, and all,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but no moderators or people really "in the know" have stepped in to explain this, so, I think there's ALOT more to it than we think......Sunday (bloody Sunday?)!!!

Report this post  
Amon_Re 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:56:29
#112 ]

@Beeblebrox

You should know that i still consider Ainc as a non-entity, the company is none of my concerns, the Amiga is, but i'm willing to give Garry Hare the benefit of doubt.

Amon_Re 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:57:14
#113 ]

@BobW

Sales are, partially

Englyst 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 16:58:29
#114 ]

@BobW

Well, let's hope that will never be true

It's great that there's some new info and that Amiga Inc. is alive. I'm just dissapointed with the website and the way information is presented.

I know you mean that it doesn't matter that much, but I still believe presentation is an important thing. And it is not very well thought out on amiga.com.

Nihilvor 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 17:03:11
#115 ]

@BobW

G.H. then "We can and will, for example, ship the operating system under the Amiga One Partner agreement as "Amiga OS 4.0".

As Amiga, now "Amiga, Inc. does not distribute or support AmigaOS 4.0. "

G.H. then "This solution does not require DE."

Now: "the development of future versions of the Amiga Operating System is not available for third party development or distribution."

I'm not against them making money off Amiga DE; I just think one needs to ask him questions as to how his vision for Amiga technology has changed, as the site seems to apply it now has little to do with OS4, which is the opposite of what it was for KMOS. One could assume that his business deals faltered, but one shouldn't before we actually hear that from him. Why deemphasize OS4.0, when that is supposedly why you bought the intellectual property? It seems clear from the statements on the site that they will be hands off. One might think of it as the business plan of Amiga Inc. swallowing Kmos and not the other way around.

Last edited by Nihilvor on 18-Mar-2005 at 05:13 PM.

BobW 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 17:03:54
#116 ]

@Atheist

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but no moderators or people really "in the know" have stepped in to explain this, so, I think there's ALOT more to it than we think......Sunday (bloody Sunday?)!!!

See thats just the kind of thing that I'm talking about. Any news is good news but don't set your expectations too high.

Those that are waiting for some "Big" announcement Sunday are going to be back here Monday complaining again.

Englyst 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 17:04:28
#117 ]

@BobW

Another thing: Good design creates trustworthyness and credibility. This is not only valid for the website but for the corporate identity as well. Gotta go, girlfriend is waiting

Nihilvor 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 17:09:21
#118 ]

@BobW

Bob,

You can't really sell OS 4 if it's not finished and you don't own it.

However, Kmos (now Amiga) does own the rights to (now) both Amiga OS and DE:

"KMOS's rights are to the OS and associated naming and trademarks. We can and will, for example, ship the operating system under the Amiga One Partner agreement as "Amiga OS 4.0". Amiga retains ownership to its name, trademarks and DE product."

BobW 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 17:10:09
#119 ]

@Nihilvor

Quote:
Why deemphasize OS4.0, when that is supposedly why you bough the intellectual property? It seems clear from the statements on the site that they will be hands off. One might think of it as the business plan of Amiga Inc. swallowing Kmos and not the other way around.

I don't agree with you totally but I can see where you are coming from. The problem is people are reading too much into a few comments on a web page.

We are so desperate for news that we take every little line and try to create some greater meaning.

@Englyst

Quote:
Another thing: Good design creates trustworthyness and credibility.

I really think that's a stretch. Ohhh, look at the pretty web site... They must be a good company to work with.

Last edited by BobW on 18-Mar-2005 at 05:14 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 17:10:22
# ]

@-Sam-

You seem to be under the illusion that companies buy products based on webpages.

Lets just remember who Amiga NEED to buy the DE.. It's not small groups of die hard Amigans who already know the history, it's set-top box manufacturers and moblie phone makers.. THAT is the only viable Amiga market.. Without then, there is no way out of the cult status for our little machine.

@Amiga Community

In case you haven't figured it out for yourselves by now, KMOS was put together by people who have bigger aims than getting AOS 5 out for10,000 users.

While you have been waiting in silence, the machines of industry have been globe trotting, trying to peddle their wares to everyone and anyone with a pile of cash.

Just because they never wrote you a personal e-mail with their schedule telling you every minute detail, doesn't mean they haven't been busy.

Remember, we are not talking about two guys holed up in their respective homes trying to keep their company from sinking without trace. We are talking about a startup company that HAS to work it's socks off wining an dining Chinese buisnessmen, etc

If Gary was to show you his passport, I'm sure it would be a bit worn by now. This is no longer the realm of the bedroom coder. The Amiga computer is firmly in the world of evil corporate giants (Just as Commodore were). This means to survive, KMOS/Amiga have been trying to get into bed with everyone and anyone (As long as they have cash).

How do I know this? Have I some secret source telling me every detail? No.

Its just a simple fact, Kmos/Amiga are still in buisness, therefore they MUST have been doing this.

So no bloody wonder nobody has updated the website till now.

And now that it has been updated. We don't like it. Fine, we don't have to. And we can complain. But to suggest that because a website looks like a windows theme, it must therefore reflect the lack of profesionalism of the company is absurd.

And since we haven't heard ANYTHING in ages, any theories emerging on this thread MUST be stuff you've heard from a friend of a friend, or a dodgy website, or a late night chat on IRC. So if it doesn't say it in print on the Amiga Website and you haven't read it in Gary's last interview, it's FUD.

So, read back through what you have posted. If you cannot provide a link to the exact info you are talking about, you have just excreted all over my browser.

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle