Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 99 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  1 min ago
 OneTimer1:  6 mins ago
 OlafS25:  46 mins ago
 matthey:  55 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 Deaths_Head:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 michalsc:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Audio is STILL crashing OS4
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
PosterThread
FuZion 
Audio is STILL crashing OS4
Posted on 26-Apr-2005 8:11:53
#1 ]

I hope I'm not alone here.

Last night, playing audio (I was playing the music using WinAmp on my PC & listening it through RemoteDesktop) crashed OS4 5 times within 1 hour.

It was that really annoying one where the audio locks into a tiny loop & all you can do it reboot. Originally, iirc, it was attributed to a stack under flow. I've recently installed the latest AHI & emu10kx drivers & they don't see, to have fixed the problem.

Does anyone know a way of sorting this out? Forunately the PC just kept on doing what it was doing, I could reboot OS4 & pick up almost where I left off but it's REALLY annoying!

FuZion.

EDITED to help summarise this thread so far (Up to Post 300 (ish))

Post #159
Quote:
To summarise, I've had the crash when:

- Playing local (From my PC's HD) audio from my PC & listening to the audio through RDesktop

- Playing local (From my A1's HD) audio & surfing on my PC using FireFox through RDesktop; using AmigaAMP, Amplidier & TuneNet

- Playing local audio (A1) & surfing with IBrowse (No RDesktop running), playing audio from either; AmigaAMP, Amplifier or TuneNet

- Streaming audio with AmigaAMP, Amplifier or TuneNet & surfing on my A1 with IBrowse

- Streaming audio as above with TuneNet, IBrowse running but not downloading with my WBStartup & user-startup disabled (i.e. Nothing other than the standard Startup-Sequence, PowerIcons, MUI, TuneNet & Networking running)

Although I am NOT the most experienced one here I am pretty confident that heat is not causing me the problem because the lock up has not occured whilst playing local audio files & network activity pretty much idle (Connected but no apps running). I assume that heat would cause me lots more online & offline problems.

And Post #265
Quote:
In summary (Between the various tests going on here):

- (Audio only) Playing audio (Using many different players), while offline or an idle network (ie. No surfing, RDesktopping etc...) allows the playing of audio til the cows come home

- (Network only) Networking without audio & the user can continually surf (For example)

- (Audio + Network) Playing audio (Again, any player) & networking is causing an audio lock up where the whole system locks up & the audio gets 'jammed' in a very short loop, causing a buzzing noise. Only a reboot (Soft or Hard) can escape the crash

- (Network only) Playing 'movie' files with audio muted has not caused the crash even when networking is also being executed

- (VCore & 3rd Party tests) Varying VCores have been tried out by people, completely clean installs (For example, this crash has occured since the ORIGINAL OS4 Pre CD installation), with 'user-startup' files removed & 'WBStartup' directories removed

- (Heat tests) New fans have been installed, cases left open & even tests with minimal cooling have been carried out to see if heat causes any change in the stability

- Some people appear to have reduced the frequency of crashes (In some rare cases, completely) but others continue to get this crash but no single conclusion has been brought to light

- (Audio + Network) We're had tests with single LARGE files being downloaded & also small files (eg. Websites with a few images) to see if 'chunks' of downloads cause more or less chance of a crash, still while audio is being played. We get the crash in both cases.

- (Audio + Network) We've had tests with single streaming audio (TuneNet, Amplifier, AmigaAmp) with no other networking that has caused the crash

- (PCI tests) Some have tried moving their sound card to other slots

- (A1 model) Without checking the entire thread, I believe the crash has occured on A1-XE's, A1-SE's & uA1 motherboards

- The crash causes a complete lock up so a Reaper report cannot be submitted

- And I can't think of anything else at the moment

It SEEMS that ANY audio being played (whether it be MP3, AIFF's, audio from a movie (ie. MPlayer) or audio from games causes this lock up while the system is actively (Not just online but idle) networking in one way or another.

Some of us can actually 'demo' the crash in that we can guarantee that it will happen under given circumstances. Others don't seem to have it happen to them. It seems intermitent to some but then regular to others (Annoying).

It's extremely frustrating that no one in a position to do anything about this has actually been able to report that they can also replicate the crash.

I think that just about sums it up, if anyone thinks I've missed something, let me know.

END EDIT: There's more detailed posts in the thread, but this should give you an idea of what's going on here.

FuZion.

Last edited by FuZion on 08-Jul-2005 at 12:42 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
ikir 
Re: Audio is STILL crashing OS4
Posted on 26-Apr-2005 8:20:17
#2 ]
Elite Member

@FuZion

Does it crash random when using Amplifier or Winamp?

I had the same problems, machine completely freezed.
2 options
-Bad ram
-Bad vcore

After changed mi vcore and replaced and tested ram, i got my A1 playing for about 50 hours without one lockup.

Download memtester from os4 depot and run

memtester 300 1

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Apr-2005 9:14:18
# ]

@FuZion

Quote:

was playing the music using WinAmp on my PC & listening it through RemoteDesktop

Mind telling why on earth you make playing MP3's such complex issue?

Report this post  
tonyw 
Posted on 26-Apr-2005 9:21:44
#4 ]
Elite Member

If you are playing with software that is not part of the OS, please don't blame the OS if it falls over.

It would be safer to say that Remote Desktop crashed the system.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Toaks 
Posted on 26-Apr-2005 9:41:49
#5 ]
Elite Member

@FuZion

u mean ? ... it should say Rdesktop still crashes with audio on ....and if youre not sure then investigate your network connection as it might be that too

anyway i suggest that you contact HammerD about this problem and do a serial log of it and so on, im not saying ahi is perfect or anything but for once i have a feeling its not ahi's fault...

anyway i only tried this stuff remotely (3 times) since i have no pc's and i dont want/need one either and i tested rDesktop for like 20 mins maybe , obviously my 20 mins against your from day to day use might be the explenation

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 26-Apr-2005 11:00:50
#6 ]
Elite Member

@FuZion

Do you have problems whit crashes and audio when doing some thing else, it’s unlike it's an Audio problem, if do not have problems whit anything else, if you have try moving sound blaster to other PCI slot and check the trigger level and irq settings in uboot, check that not heat, try removing side panel from cabinet and check if this changes any thing if the heat is the problem, Try increase the stack, check the icon and default settings in prefs

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 26-Apr-2005 at 11:03 AM.

FuZion 
Posted on 26-Apr-2005 19:40:14
#7 ]

@ikir

I've just run a MemTest & all tests reported ok, which is nice.

@Hooligan

It'd be more complicated to explain why It's not a constant thing but it is certainly needed.

@tonyw

I have had crashes of this sort since the original OS4 Beta install, Update 1, Update 2 & now the latest AHI drivers. Since there isn't an official supported (And provided) MP3 player in the OS4 install (That I've seen), I don't know what to blame.

@Toaks

I'm not sure if it's RDesktop in particular because I've had this happen in all instances of my OS4 installation including both online & offline audio playing.

@NutsAboutAmiga

Your suggestions seem far more complicated. It has happened with both native & RDesktopped audio, sometimes through just simply listening to audio, sometimes doing things.

These intermitent ones are a pain. I'll run more soak tests as well as ongoing test as I'm using audio apps.

FuZion.

Rogue 
Posted on 26-Apr-2005 19:43:16
#8 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@FuZion

What makes you think that it is OS 4's audio stuff that is crashing? I haven't heard from any other problems in this area, and in fact I can run audio for ours on the Amiga without any crash.

So the question is, if you e.g. run AmigaAMP for some time, does that also crash or does that work?

ikir 
Posted on 26-Apr-2005 19:47:23
#9 ]
Elite Member

@FuZion

Try to run Amplifier with a big playlist plus loop for all the night. It is the best test

Chris_Y 
Posted on 26-Apr-2005 19:50:02
#10 ]
Elite Member

@FuZion

It may be a shot in the dark, but I've had strange crashes since hooking up a USB keyboard and mouse. If there is any sound playing then it goes into a one-second loop and the whole thing locks up. It doesn't seem to matter what I am doing, but it was as stable as a rock previously.

Are you using a USB keyboard and/or mouse?

Chris

FuZion 
Posted on 26-Apr-2005 20:56:26
#11 ]

@Rogue

Quote:
What makes you think that it is OS 4's audio stuff that is crashing?

I see our posts crossed by a few minutes I don't know what to blame Rogue since I've had crashes from audio brought from RDesktop, Amplifier, AmigaAMP & TuneNet at differing points in OS4's updates etc... As I said, I don't know what to blame.

@Chris_Y

My mouse & keyboard are plugged into the PS thingy ports (The mouse is a USB mouse converted).

As ikir suggested, I should leave things running overnight. I'll try different programs & see what kind of patterns I can see. I can say this, using Amplifier with .aiff files seems the least stable but it has been a while since I tried them out for any longer than a few minutes. Again, the soak test should help here.

FuZion.

Deniil715 
Posted on 26-Apr-2005 22:14:20
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Quote:

What makes you think that it is OS 4's audio stuff that is crashing? I haven't heard from any other problems in this area, and in fact I can run audio for ours on the Amiga without any crash.

Then you haven't read any of my thread on the subject! I've complained multiple times that audio+network eventually hangs my A1 And Audio + Remote Desktop is a typical example of audio+network.

@FuZion

I have the same problem that you do. Audio can play forever with no or only sporadic network load but if I put a bit of load on the network (like streaming audio, or up/downloading on FTP) while playing audio the machine will hang exactly as you describe sooner or later.

@ikir

I did the memtest and it came out ok on all points. I personly don't believe that the memory is faulty (or the vcore which is adjusted on my machine). I believe it's the same bug that hangs the machine with IDE-DMA + network = a VIA/Articia bug

Last edited by Deniil715 on 26-Apr-2005 at 10:17 PM.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 26-Apr-2005 22:25:33
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

I doubt it. The sii680 PCI card and Ethernet works flawlessly, therefore a Soundblaster PCI card and Ethernet shouldn't show any problems either. It would have to be something specific to the sound card, otherwise sii680+Ethernet would show problems as well. Either that or it is an unrelated problem which happens to show up in those circumstances.

This is why we need an OS4 update - anybody running the beta has lost sight of which bugs existed in Update1 (Update2 didn't replace many components, so to all intents and purposes the pre-releasers are still running a beta from last October - six months ago)

@Rogue
Any news on an update yet?

Chris

Toaks 
Posted on 26-Apr-2005 22:30:39
#14 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

i have a XE...not fixed one and my machine is on 24/7 with most of the time Amp or AmigaAmp running while dooing network stuff, i have no problems with this.

Toaks 
Posted on 26-Apr-2005 22:32:27
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Chris_Y

eh?`lost sight? ok ...you dont know how this works...

anyway your last update was 27th of december.

amipal 
Posted on 26-Apr-2005 22:51:02
#16 ]

@FuZion

Most of my crashes seem to happen with I'm playing MP3's via AmigaAMP. I'm usually browsing with IBrowse and downloading emails with YAM when these crashes happen, so I'm wondering if it's a 68K issue or network driver.

Doesn't happen so much using Songplayer, but still happens.

I've been told on a number of occasions that it may be a VCore issue.

Last edited by amipal on 26-Apr-2005 at 10:52 PM.

Kicko 
Posted on 27-Apr-2005 0:00:45
#17 ]
Elite Member

@FuZion

I get also crashes sometimes using ANR or Amplifier.
Also my adsl (dhcp) looses ping after 10min.
Using router now so its not that often.
But if i use specially ATC and DL/UP big files
it looses ping often.

My a1g4xe 800mhz (the 933mhz chip) is fixed for usb
and udma bug. I dont use internal ide. DVDrw and harddisk
is on si680ide card.

I will probably buy an wrt54g syslink router later and
get rid of my DLink.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 27-Apr-2005 1:48:46
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

"typical example of audio+network."

I use AmigaOneXE unfixed, using the old eth3com.device from first CD.
I have played Internet readio on AMP for huors, I found that my AmigaOne runs hot when playing whit GCC, so removed the side plate, now I do get less crashes, I use the last version of AMP,

1. check heat
2. Vcore settings
2. ram
3. power
4. the level settings in uboot
5. clock frq.

try move the SBlive card to other PCI slot, IRQ conflict?

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 27-Apr-2005 at 01:51 AM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 27-Apr-2005 1:57:20
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

I think it's the eth3com.device that fails! this is LAN problem!

I known that we have problems whit moving files over samba whit new eth3com device,

LAN Only = freeze
LAN + SOUND = freeze
SOUND Only = works, no freeze

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 27-Apr-2005 at 02:45 AM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 27-Apr-2005 2:12:53
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Chris_Y

>but it was as stable as a rock previously.

did you change anything?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle