Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 61 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  22 mins ago
 amigakit:  31 mins ago
 clint:  34 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 cip060:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 BigD:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 VooDoo:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 thomas:  3 hrs 37 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 35 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Thendic vs Amiga Lawsuit Trial date March 1 2004
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
MikeB 
Thendic vs Amiga Lawsuit Trial date March 1 2004
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 7:37:14
#1 ]
Elite Member

Thendic and Amiga's Attorneys have stipulated a new trial date being March 1, 2004.

--
Considering all the FUD, trolling and rival staff claims with regard to the legal procedings at various websites this is good news for the Amiga community and bad news for the trolls and various rival advocates which have been proven wrong yet again. (For the how many zillionth time?)

IMO it's sad that Thendic/Genesi started this lawsuit though, the money would have been better spent elsewhere by both companies.

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Re: Thendic vs Amiga Lawsuit Trial date March 1 2004
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 8:51:22
# ]

I wasn't even aware Amiga was still around untill I happened on this site. Who's Thendic and what's the case about?

Report this post  
JurassicC 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 9:06:19
#3 ]

Quote:

MikeB wrote:

IMO it's sad that Thendic/Genesi started this lawsuit though, the money would have been better spent elsewhere by both companies.

This is just a perfect example of what this great community has become. Now they are fighting over the scraps

DaveyD 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 9:18:58
#4 ]
Team Member

@MycoMedical

Thendic now known as Genesi developed a rivial product, the hardware is called Pegasos and the OS is called MorphOS http://www.genesi.lu/

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 9:25:25
#5 ]
Elite Member

@ MycoMedical

Welcome mate. (the others can get into the particulars about the issues at hand).

@ MikeB

I absolutely agree with you when you state that this cash could be better spent on other things. I reckon that this is all a waste of money, BIG TIME!. Both companies could inject this cash into R&D projects, or even for building up cash reserves (I'm sure that both companies need such reserves). I truly am sick and tired of the constant gloating and wars. FFS it's just a computer (as Orgin stated elsewhere). Let's all enjoy what we have, and let's not see this greatly esteemed platform die off because of petty squabling.

Bodie 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 9:26:35
#6 ]

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
Considering all the FUD, trolling and rival staff claims with regard to the legal procedings at various websites this is good news for the Amiga community and bad news for the trolls and various rival advocates which have been proven wrong yet again. (For the how many zillionth time?)

hehe, but of course certain individuals will place their own spin on this: "BAH! Where did Amiga Inc get the cash to rehire their lawyers" "Yeah they should be blah blah ...." "Stupid criminals, yeah blah blah"

As far as I'm concerned geeky Amigans should stick to what they know; computing! and not venture into the vagueries of corporate or contract law !!!!!!

The_Editor 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 9:35:12
#7 ]
Elite Member

I agree.

So it is written ...........

So it shall be done !!

MikeB 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 9:47:12
#8 ]
Elite Member

@ MycoMedical

First welcome to AmigaWorld.

Thendic/Genesi is a company under leadership of Bill Buck and Raquel Valesco. Bill Buck was previously the main man of VisCorp, a company which once stated to have the intention of buying Amiga's assets after the Commodore bankruptcy. They falied and the company bankrupted.

Thendic is a newer company which included the nice Coyote FLux guys, Sharwin and Rakesh Raghoebardayal. They were producing a WinCE powered PDA called the SmartBoy and immediately announced their AmigaDE agreement to the public after both parties signed this. Shortly after Bill McEwen confirmed this to be correct, but this product never materialized.

Later Thendic merged with (or probably better said 'acquired') bPlan the producers of the Pegasos board and hired Ralph Schmidt the owner of the core MorphOS operating system. Now the resulting company Thendic/Genesi is sueing Amiga because it has not ported the AmigaDE to the Pegasos platform (AmigaOne rival PPC platform).

Amiga counters that:

a) They never received a Pegasos (nor even a prior formal request to port the AmigaDE to this very different platform)

b) It's not a WinCE (or otherwise Tao supported) platform/device and thus according to the license agreement Amiga Inc is free to not agree with a port.

c) Thendic has violated the confidential nature of the agreement in various ways. (breach of contract)

Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 9:47:33
# ]

Yeah well judging by some of the disgusting comments against anyone who does not automatically follow Rich Woods or one other persons point of view on ANN I doubt it is good for the community.

Read the thread on ANN, how bitter and twisted.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 9:50:27
#10 ]
Elite Member

@ DaveP

To make myself clear I don't think the delay is good, I want this nonesense resolved today rather than tomorrow.

But it's positive that the rival claims have yet again been proven to be malicious of nature.

Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 9:54:33
# ]

Well I find it quite illuminating that the first person to post
pointing out the difference between speculation and fact
to a personal attack immediately even though the tone of the thread was already set and was practically in line with what that person posted.

Report this post  
jaokim 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 9:55:44
#12 ]

MikeB wrote:
Quote:
Later Thendic merged with bPlan [...]. Amiga [..] has not ported the AmigaDE to the Pegasos platform

Ah, so this is what it's all about. I've always wondered what it was about.
Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense.

[joke]
How about putting up a betting on this. Who will win, Amiga or Genesi?
[/joke]

Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 10:41:23
# ]

DaveP wrote:

Quote:
Yeah well judging by some of the disgusting comments against anyone who does not automatically follow Rich Woods or one other persons point of view on ANN I doubt it is good for the community.
Read the thread on ANN, how bitter and twisted..

[Edited by MikeB:] Personal attacks removed. Personal insults/attacks aren't allowed here at AmigaWorld, also/especially against people who may not be reading this thread to defend him or herself.

Also, pay attention to how many people say that they appreciate Rich Woods keeping track of events and posting documents, but don't like the way he puts his personal twist on things with his comments. That's how I feel, too, along with many others. Even if he thinks AI is evil for some reason, it doesn't do his position any good to do things like refer to Bill McEwen as "billyboy."

Yes, there is partisanship and way too much emotion involved for something that doesn't directly affect any of us but I wonder if it helps to describe the situation in that ann.lu thread as you have done for readers at this site. The impression created is that the whole problem is Rich posting the documents and then he and a bastion of cohorts flaming anybody who dares oppose them.

About the topic itself, if Amiga has a case for its defense, then it should be presented. If they have lawyers back on board, that's to their credit. Let's see justice done, and as quickly as possible. It's all getting very tedious.

-- gary_c

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 11:03:55
# ]

Thendic has brought Amiga to court for breach of contract, ok, but what is good about the delay? Why is this seen as good news?

Report this post  
Skyraker 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 11:04:15
#15 ]
Cult Member

Who gives a toss?

[quote]Amiga were also offered Amithlon before anyone else. I was the first to run it. It ROCKED HARD. I begged them to use it, we had a WINNER and could sell a bajillion of them. We owned all the rights to it! But sadly, Bill and Fleecy didn't want peopl

Kay 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 11:26:30
#16 ]

@MycoMedical:

> Thendic has brought Amiga to court for breach of contract, ok, but what is good about the
> delay? Why is this seen as good news?

For financial reasons, I think. Amiga Inc is in a tough spot economically these days, and part of Genesi's agenda (as I understand it) is to paralyze them economically. The trial date has now been pushed beyond the likely release date for AmigaOS4 and the full launch of the AmigaOne. This should give Amiga a chance to breathe, and place them in a better position to defend themselves.

It's a dirty game, isn't it? Anyway, a piece of advice: be careful about mentioning the words "Genesi" and "Amiga" in the same sentence. There's a lot of people around the old Amiga sites who feel very strongly for one or the other.

Kay

Kay 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 11:31:06
#17 ]

@MycoMedical:

By the way, welcome to AmigaWorld ! I see you have been away from the Amiga community for a while, so don't be afraid to ask if there's something you'd like to know.

Kay

MikeB 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 11:41:53
#18 ]
Elite Member

@ Skyraker

Quote:
Who gives a toss?

Personally I also prefer companies to keep things such as legal procedings behind closed doors as professionals. But sadly certain people are prefering the soap opera approach.

I understand that some people don't even care considering that the AmigaOS4 project is at large protected from this anyway.

However now I prefer this to be discussed within the forums only (like done in the past) because if the thread gets out of hand we can easily remove the thread from the frontpage and/or lock it.

Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 11:55:30
# ]

MIkeB (as Moderator) wrote:
Quote:
[Edited by MikeB:] Personal attacks removed. Personal insults/attacks aren't allowed here at AmigaWorld, also/especially against people who may not be reading this thread to defend him or herself.

Oh, I'm sorry, Mike, I didn't mean what I wrote as a personal attack. I was just pointing out an individual who was way out of line IMHO and illustrated the fact that Dave's characterization of the ann.lu thread was perhaps inaccurate in that there were flames and insults being thrown in both directions, people on the offensive on both sides, and a decided lack of class demonstrated all around. Anyway, if anyone is curious, just start reading the thread and you'll quickly find a particular supporter who, among other things, says "there's a place in hell reserved for you" to somebody.

It's quite evident that the person in question was acting in a juvenile and hostile way, but if saying so is considered a "personal attack" here, then I shouldn't have stated his name.

-- gary_c

Report this post  
Billsey 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 12:05:38
#20 ]
From: Look to where the waters meet in the midst of the land. It is here! St. Louis, Missouri, USA!

Having just found this thread, I must say that I find it done much better here than I have found?in the past?on other sites. Other sites promote fictional vitriol?almost always against Amiga, Inc. This site has been refreshingly different.

As to whether or not the court date is good news, for Amiga, Inc. it cannot be bad news. If you mentally review the history of these actions, it should become clear what the real aim here is: possession of the Amiga Trademarks. The more time Amiga, Inc. has to gather capitol, the better for them.

Personally, I think it's about time that the ?european? pit-bull got muzzled.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle