Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 68 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  18 secs ago
 Hammer:  42 mins ago
 Hypex:  49 mins ago
 matthey:  52 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 Lou:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 billt:  3 hrs 26 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  6 hrs 18 mins ago
 OlafS25:  7 hrs 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  1/4 of the way through the year, H/W? :-(
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
PosterThread
Ami603 
Re: 1/4 of the way through the year, H/W?
Posted on 14-Mar-2006 20:22:13
#161 ]
Cult Member

@Colin_Camper

Quote:

Whilst the elusive 'Plan B' has been discussed at length, I am surprised that Rogues careful avoidance in discussing or commenting on 'The Nuclear Option' has not been picked up on.
Just as well really!

It's nearly impossible to get any of such bits of info even being on the "insiders" circle,until the thing actually happens and it's announced publically, so if i were you, i'd rather not spend any energy trying.
It simply won't work

A1200/030 32Mb
A4000D
A1-X1000.

Profile     Report this post  
Frags 
Posted on 14-Mar-2006 20:35:16
#162 ]
Cult Member

I hope that someone will hack the classic release to run on peg.

- insert profound text here -

_Steve_ 
Posted on 14-Mar-2006 21:00:07
#163 ]
Team Member

@Frags

And it is exactly that kind of statement that will see it never being released.

Ami603 
Posted on 14-Mar-2006 21:02:16
#164 ]
Cult Member

@_Steve_

Ditto,and now i wonder what would make a less difficult task to hack the Classics version than the already (since quite a while) available Amigaone version.

A1200/030 32Mb
A4000D
A1-X1000.

drewz21 
Posted on 14-Mar-2006 21:10:38
#165 ]

@_Steve_

While I don't believe piracy killed the Amiga outright it didn't help it. Piracy exists today but with the large Windows base it won't kill it. When/if new software comes out we all need to support it. 100%

A2000
A1200

elatour 
Posted on 14-Mar-2006 21:17:50
#166 ]
Cult Member

@Oxygenet

Well, here's hoping something becomes available soon!

If something doesn't come soon, Hyperion will most likely end up bankrupt sooner or later. And if this happens, then you can just say goodbye to the AmigaOS forever, IMHO. All that will be left will be the some lame PocketPC games running on AmigaDE (which is basically primarily someone else's technology anyway) and a desktop OS that you can't purchase or run on any hardware.

The only hope at that point will be for an OS4-compatible AROS with UAE for running legacy stuff, but only if people bother to port their OS4 stuff to it. I see this as something that might happen, but so far into the future that it will just be too late at that point.

The way I look at it is, if the OS and suitbale hardware to run it on doesn't come out soon (withing 6-8 months), Amiga will have truely missed the boat and it will be too late for anything, as a desktop OS, an imbedded appliance OS or anything else...period.

OS4 software availability is progressing nicely right now and the momentum is there, but we still need some major software ported (e.g. OpenOffice, Firefox/Mozilla, Java VM), and this can only happen if we have developers and machines for them to develop on, not to mention a client base.

I know that this has been hashed and rehashed many times, but I truely believe at this point that to get the mass interest in this OS going, we're going to need to have it ported to the x86 platform, even if just to prodvide a starting point for other hardware platforms better suited for appliances (e.g. ARM, Transmetta, VIA, Freescale, etc.) There is still alot of interest and respect for this platform from people previously exposed to it, many of them x86 Windows and/or Linux developers which would consider exploring it if they could run it on their commodity x86 hardware in virtual machines through VMware or VirtualPC as an appliance.

Heck, anyone want a shot at earning $200,000 USD? Check out this link http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/challenge, it's the VMware Ultimate Virtual Appliance Challenge. Only problem is that it's for x86 only, I've been thinking that someone should create an AROS with UAE virtual appliance, possibly tossing MAME and other freeware emulators into the mix and turn this in as the Ultimate Multiplatform Productivity and Retro Gaming Appliance...only problem with ths is licensing of the AOS3.1 Kickstart ROMs. :^(

Again, something to generate interest in the OS in the mainstream.

Just two cents worth from an old Amiga addict and owner of a CBM 64, A2000, A3000, A4000T, and MicroA1 owner going back to 1982 when I was 13 and got bit by the computer programming bug!

Anonymous 
Posted on 14-Mar-2006 21:21:29
# ]

Quote:
_Steve_ wrote:
@Frags

And it is exactly that kind of statement that will see it never being released.

Hi _Steve_,

I didn't want to say it, but what Frags said is what I'm afraid of, and even the pre-releases up to now are vulnerable of this very thing being done to it.

Even in it's miniscule state, Amiga has enemies.

If they fear you, you just might be doing something right.

Report this post  
Frags 
Posted on 14-Mar-2006 21:38:44
#168 ]
Cult Member

@_Steve_

Would that be such a bad thing? I didn`t say I wouldn`t buy it. If there was some hack that got it running on peg then Hyperion would instantly have a larger potential market, with no legal worries. If people pirate it then that`s another matter entirely.

Amiboy 
Posted on 14-Mar-2006 22:23:55
#169 ]

@Frags

Yes but its the potential of other people getting hold of a pirate copy to hack onto a peg that is the problem.

No offence but it was a really lame comment and the sort of thing Hyperion must be worried about from silly people like yourself.

A1200, Power Tower, TF1260 128MB RAM, 68060 Rev 6, OS3.9 BB2, HD-Floppy, Mediator TX+ PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Card, Spider USB, 100MBit Ethernet, 16GB CF HD, 52xCDRom.

Antoniox 
Posted on 14-Mar-2006 22:39:25
#170 ]

The sad thing about all this, Is that nothing is gonna happen like always we can moan as much as we like.
But like always nothing comes of it, I know what my next computer will be and its not ganna be an Amiga of any kind why....... we all know why

Last edited by Antoniox on 14-Mar-2006 at 10:47 PM.
Last edited by Antoniox on 14-Mar-2006 at 10:45 PM.

Frags 
Posted on 14-Mar-2006 22:44:15
#171 ]
Cult Member

@Amiboy

There`s no greater danger of that than someone pirating the classic version for their classic. Besides, I don`t think the kind of people who`d be interested would pirate it. Are you telling me that Hyperion aren`t releasing OS4 in case it get`s hacked to run on Pegasos and hence, pirated?

ChrisH 
Posted on 14-Mar-2006 22:54:41
#172 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue who said Quote:

Quote:
If they have truely been stated many times, then why don't I know them?

I can't answer you that. But I stated the reasoning in about every "OS 4 on Pegasos" thread that came up. And no, the issues aren't technical either.

Rogue, I think that the OS4 situation has changed a lot in the past 6 months, and that may be why I missed the "millions" of times that you have answered that question:

Previously I had dismissed the Pegasos, because new AmigaOnes were promised, but gradually everyone has come to realise that this isn't ever going to happen. We then had new mobos promised from some mysterious new companies (Troika et al), but things are taking rather longer than we were led to believe. OS4 now looks finished & ready to release. The Peg's design has also been partially released, and BBRV have made some conciliatory noises (however insincere).

All these things have changed me from not having any interest in the "OS4 on Pegasos" discussions (which were typically red/blue noise & so boring for me) to me gradually thinking that the Peg is something which should seriously be considered.

I can understand that you might have become fed-up with answering the same question again & again, but (a) AmigaWorld seems to have quietened down a lot since then, (b) some people will have moved on, others will have joined, and others will have changed their interests, so it's unreasonable to expect that everyone will have seen your replies, (c) I'm not going to wade through hundreds of pages of boring red/blue flag waving to find a one line answer from you.

I have to wonder why no-one ELSE has answered my question either, moderators included. Possibly because they don't know? It's not as though I'm expecting a War And Peace length answer, but YOU are the one who involved yourself, by saying "nope, you're wrong" (without saying why), and surely it's not so unexpected that I might answer back with a request for some clarity?

Last edited by ChrisH on 14-Mar-2006 at 10:56 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 14-Mar-2006 23:27:14
#173 ]
Elite Member

Rogue, OK, you reckon you've answered the question a million times? I remembered that AW.net has a really poor search function, so I gave it a go. It found VERY few posts by you which contained "OS4" AND "Pegasos", going back to 2003, and only one of those thread titles looked like it was really related to "OS4 on Pegasos". Glancing through all 10+ pages, I found only 4 posts from you which seemed relevant:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11602&forum=2&start=160&viewmode=flat&order=0#157860
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11602&forum=2&start=80&viewmode=flat&order=0#155927
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11602&forum=2&start=40&viewmode=flat&order=0#155643
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11602&forum=2&start=40&viewmode=flat&order=0#155643

They all go on about money - nothing I hadn't heard before, and pretty much what I was aiming my argument at originally. So I find it hard to believe that those are the answers you were what you were refering to. Are they????????

umisef 
Posted on 15-Mar-2006 0:32:05
#174 ]

@Atheist

Quote:
but what Frags said is what I'm afraid of[ ...If they fear you, you just might be doing something right.

So you are saying that someone who might make OS4 run on platforms it wasn't intended for must be doing something right?

Wouldn't have expected that from you :)

tomazkid 
Posted on 15-Mar-2006 1:06:07
#175 ]
Team Member

@polka.
Quote:
Is there any whining why OS4 for A1's don't support any Nvidia-cards yet? No.

Ahem

Colin_Camper 
Posted on 15-Mar-2006 1:08:07
#176 ]

@ChrisH

What we now know from this thread is that porting OS4 to the PegII is straightforward.
We also know that (as far as Rogue is concerned) there are no barriers or objections to this.
Hyperion would want 20,000 Eu to do the job. BUT no-one is likely to want to do this anytime soon because a license is very unlikely to be forthcoming from Amiga Inc.

Tomas 
Posted on 15-Mar-2006 1:28:06
#177 ]
Elite Member

@smithy

Quote:

smithy wrote:
@polka.

[quote]to release OS4 for PPC Classic NOW!/quote]

Too much work for too little benefit. Any new moves need to be able to bring in new blood, lots of it and be capable of doing it for the forseeable future. A few hundred extra users of "classic" machines will help nobody. Equally, a MacPPC port would be an extremely stupid idea because that hardware is just as dead as classic Amigas, although there are more users, there is still no sustainable development there either.

Better than none extra users at all?

Tomas 
Posted on 15-Mar-2006 1:36:45
#178 ]
Elite Member

@Colin_Camper
Quote:
BUT no-one is likely to want to do this anytime soon because a license is very unlikely to be forthcoming from Amiga Inc.

This is what worries me.. Why would Amiga INC be more willing to give a license to Troika or Ack?? It will be sad if this boards do infact materialize and it turns out it wont run OS4 because Amiga INC is not willing.

Troika seem to have been avoiding the question about the license so far...

Last edited by Tomas on 15-Mar-2006 at 01:37 AM.

T_Bone 
Posted on 15-Mar-2006 2:30:34
#179 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:

Even in it's miniscule state, Amiga has enemies.

Lets worry about getting customers first, without them, it doesn't really matter if you have "enemies."

wegster 
Posted on 15-Mar-2006 4:54:08
#180 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

Quote:

Tomas wrote:
@smithy

Quote:

smithy wrote:
@polka.

[quote]to release OS4 for PPC Classic NOW!/quote]

Too much work for too little benefit. Any new moves need to be able to bring in new blood, lots of it and be capable of doing it for the forseeable future. A few hundred extra users of "classic" machines will help nobody. Equally, a MacPPC port would be an extremely stupid idea because that hardware is just as dead as classic Amigas, although there are more users, there is still no sustainable development there either.

Better than none extra users at all?

The situation does suck, to put it mildly, but the classic OS4 release was discussed in depth previously, and Iexpect the same 'rules' apply.

They do not want to release OS4 for Classics until OS4 final, at which point there will be media (online) and slashdot coverage and articles etc. It makes more sense to get a larger 'bang' with that coverage for both classic and some hardware option at the same time, in that they may only get that large coverage (meaning shser number of slashdot and/or OSNews, others) in a single shot, so it would be 'a good thing' to have both classic and 'next gen' (whatever it turns out to be) hardware available at the time of official release.

If OS4 for classics was released now, then later OS4 goes final as new hardware is available, it could be argued the results may be less.

And yes, obviously, the flip side is 'we need more users,' which is valid as well, as is classic owners getting frustrated, but if the thinking is that a unified release will generate more income, and there are plans expected to produce hardware 'soon,' then you can't blame them for following through on this.

Additionally, as stated, looking at the list of ud3 and now ud4 issues, plus the added complexity of classic hardware configurations (opposed to a basically 'standardized' system, whether A1, ACK, PV, Peg, etc, with more built-in hardware), it's highly likely some additional issues would be found on classics with different configurations, which would take away additional time (and time = $ unfortunately). Personally, ud4 does not seem 'final' to me, although it certainly is an improvement over previous updates in most respects. They may or may not have 'the rest' completed and bugfixed, or may be chasing down the last bugs on the 'final' OS4 release...either way, I expect there's plenty to be done by Hyperion and the rest of the OS4 team, so not releasing it now (classic os4) also makes sense there.

So, it would at least _seem_ the 'real holdup' is what we already know- get new hardware and os4 ported/debugged on it, see os4 final, see os4 for classics.

And yes, this does indeed suck (sorry, it IS an appropriate word, IMO), no matter how we might look at it, but I suspect it sucks equally to be in Hyperion's shoes right now as well.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle