Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 46 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 clint:  7 mins ago
 kolla:  19 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  55 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 t0lkien:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 21 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Confusing interview
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
wonea 
Confusing interview
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 20:57:44
#1 ]

I found the Amiga Inc interview confusing, and contained lots of double talk/managment speak. Problems for me;

* I don't care about Amiga OS5, and I don't want to know anything about it. AOS4 is what I want to run, not some hybrid run on everything rubbish. Linux does a better job, and who in their right mind is going to licence a proprietary operating systems for use in a PDA. When better ones can be bought or used for free.

* Very sorry state of hardware, and no reasonable talk about new alliances. Genesi anyone? Come on, give us hardware. If not, port the OS and shove some DRM on it, if your worried about piracy.

* Once we get the legal situation sorted. What situation I don't want to know! I just want AOS4 on my desktop, running on nice cool hardware. Custom or whatever, and computer behind it to be well run.

* To be told that we are coming through a difficult period sounds like some kind of rehashed 1995 speak.

* No sense of direction from the company, maybe a little openness about what the hell is going on? It's a complicated business keeping up with the Amiga show.

* Lack of acknowlegement of Amiga users

I want a second interview, because this didn't solve anything. It just placed more certainty on fact that we going nowhere. Hyperion deserve a round of applause for developing AOS4. Without them, Amiga Inc would have very very little to show. Except some mini arcade games!

Last edited by wonea on 19-Sep-2006 at 08:58 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
sicky 
Re: Confusing interview
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 21:01:39
#2 ]
Elite Member

@wonea

Yes I agree with you...... welcome to Amigaland!

Oppressor 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 21:42:06
#3 ]

@wonea

Quote:

I don't care about Amiga OS5, and I don't want to know anything about it. AOS4 is what I want to run, not some hybrid run on everything rubbish. Linux does a better job, and who in their right mind is going to licence a proprietary operating systems for use in a PDA. When better ones can be bought or used for free.

Bill McEwen doesn't care for the OS; he invested in the feelings of people like you and me who care for it. Our sheer presence in this forum is indication enough that the Amiga name in fact has some value. What's even worse, the more attention we pay to that crook, the more valuable it becomes.

Quote:

Very sorry state of hardware, and no reasonable talk about new alliances. Genesi anyone? Come on, give us hardware. If not, port the OS and shove some DRM on it, if your worried about piracy.

Quote:
Edited: removed Flame/Attack
Flame/Attacks: Do not flame! Flaming refers to derogatory, abusive, threatening, sarcastic, rude, or otherwise mean-spirited messages directed at members/users. Be cautious when using sarcasm and humour. Without facial expressions and tone of voice, they do not translate easily over the Internet in posts and may be perceived as flaming. Report the flame posts immediately to an Amigaworld Team Member so that the situation can be dealt with immediately.

Quote:

Once we get the legal situation sorted. What situation I don't want to know! I just want AOS4 on my desktop, running on nice cool hardware. Custom or whatever, and computer behind it to be well run.

Don't hold your breath waiting for OS4 to materialize on your desktop. You can run a developer prerelease, and we can still hope for Hyperion to deliberately break their contracts with Amiga Inc. They should rename the OS and repackage the distribution cleverly and they might somehow get away with it. The users may exchange some needed components underhand. There would be nothing wrong with this, IMO.

Quote:

No sense of direction from the company, maybe a little openness about what the hell is going on? It's a complicated business keeping up with the Amiga show.

Guess why the Q+A took place on a amiga.org and not AW.net which is tightly in the hands of the Frieden fanclub. The sole purpose of that Q+A session was to point out that Troika has no license. The rest was just for filling in the gaps with old marketing pulp, i.e. it was simply in line with old statements that never got corrected.

Quote:

Lack of acknowlegement of Amiga users

Please understand that we are everything to them.

Last edited by tomazkid on 21-Sep-2006 at 12:32 AM.

Derfs 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 21:51:24
#4 ]
Cult Member

@Oppressor

take the personal attacks elsewhere please.

Oppressor 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 22:02:44
#5 ]

@Derfs

Ok, will do.

Is there anything else you have to contribute?

Derfs 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 22:13:12
#6 ]
Cult Member

@Oppressor

nope, just a friendly word of advice regarding these

samos3.9 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 22:25:21
#7 ]

@wonea

HIHIHIHIHIH HI

A inc is a very confuzing company

Seer 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 22:25:45
#8 ]
Team Member

@wonea

* I don't care about Amiga OS5, and I don't want to know anything about it. AOS4 is what I want to run, not some hybrid run on everything rubbish. Linux does a better job, and who in their right mind is going to licence a proprietary operating systems for use in a PDA. When better ones can be bought or used for free.

Erm.. Your first point kinda makes everything else kinda useless don't ya think ?
Not just for PDA's but desktops and whatever kind of hardware device that needs an OS why would anybody even bother with OS4 except for a few thousand hardcore fans?

At any rate, Amiga OS3, OS4 OS4.6 or OS5, it's just a number. As allready was discussed in another thread, I don't think we know enough about what OS5 is going to be anyway to make judgements. (AFAIK, it's not "Intent" based anymore)

number6 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 22:27:44
#9 ]
Elite Member

@wonea

Quote:
I found the Amiga Inc interview confusing, and contained lots of double talk/managment speak.
* Lack of acknowlegement of Amiga users

From Bill McEwen (answer #20 from the Q&A):

Quote:
Bill McEwen -- Many of you have already done a great deal to keep Amiga alive and you breathe life in the spirit of this amazing idea and creation. There is not another company around that can reference or speak of a more active group of people than yourselves.
What I would ask, is that we stop trying to find reason for failure and instead focus on success. .
The Amiga community has some of the most talented developers and innovative users in the world. I know that not everything is great, and we still do not have OS 4, and we do not have the hardware situation resolved, we are working on it. We are working on every aspect of the business, and we are working to deliver to you what we promised.
What can everyone do, is begin to work together and find ways to support the development of new content, work together to enhance each others ideas, and work together with the knowledge that we are still here we did not abandon any of you.

What interview did -you- read? It sure wasn't -this- one.

Oppressor 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 22:49:31
#10 ]

@Derfs

Quote:

nope, just a friendly word of advice regarding these

Hm, lemme see...

Quote:

The general rule of thumb is treat others as you would like to be treated.

I should rethink my wording, given that I'd probably attack Bill McEwen physically if I ever were to meet him in person.

Rit 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 23:11:37
#11 ]

@Oppressor

Quote:

I should rethink my wording, given that I'd probably attack Bill McEwen physically if I ever were to meet him in person.

Is that how you solve all your problems?

Oppressor 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 23:15:18
#12 ]

@Rit

Quote:

Quote:

Is that how you solve all your problems?

No, but I'd love to make an exception for Bill and Fleecy.

Anyway, anything else you would like to contribute, Rit?

tonyw 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 23:19:47
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Oppressor

Quote:

The sole purpose of that Q+A session was to point out that Troika has no license.

*** Warning!! Fan Club member speaking ***

A few days ago I would have agreed with you on that point. However, I have since decided that there was a second reason, and that was to start the "Hyperion-are-bad-boys" rumour.

People may believe the A's as they wish. Most people (including the fan club) will take them with a grain of salt.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Rit 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 23:20:25
#14 ]

@Oppressor

Nope, I have better things to do with my time.

jorkany 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 23:23:39
#15 ]
Cult Member

@tonyw
What's your reaction to the recent admission by Rogue that he and Thomas, not Hyperion, own the ExecSG kernel?

Tigger 
Posted on 19-Sep-2006 23:43:37
#16 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

tonyw wrote:

People may believe the A's as they wish. Most people (including the fan club) will take them with a grain of salt.

The problem is Tony, Rogue and his non-twin dont seem to be saying a whole lot is incorrect about this. I haven't seen them say McEwen wrong, etc, they just seem to be talking about we dont know the whole story. I'm sure thats true, but if McEwen has paid the buyback money for the OS, and he was pretty adamant about that including the date it was done and that Benji was involved, it doesnt look good for Hyperion as a company or OS 4 as an OS. If Hyperion can't deliver the OS including the source, AI has them, and without Hyperion, those portions of OS, not owned by AI become pretty much useless.
-Tig

Frags 
Posted on 20-Sep-2006 0:02:38
#17 ]
Cult Member

@Tigger

Quote:

Tigger wrote:

...Rogue and his non-twin...

Why do you always say that? Please explain what you mean.

- insert profound text here -

Oppressor 
Posted on 20-Sep-2006 0:08:34
#18 ]

@tonyw

Quote:

Quote:

The sole purpose of that Q+A session was to point out that Troika has no license.

A few days ago I would have agreed with you on that point. However, I have since decided that there was a second reason, and that was to start the "Hyperion-are-bad-boys" rumour.

Ok, I meant to imply that. It seems to me like the Q+A session was just an unhoped-for opportunity for Amiga Inc. to speak up and seed FUD. But I doubt that they can go beyond sabre-rattling.

There are plenty of occasions for the Amiga community to find out and help Hyperion -- if just everybody started dropping flares. Offer for download whatever seems an infringement to Amiga Inc.'s copyrights and threatens their intellectual properties. It would exhaust them in sham fights and ridicule their efforts, thus paving the way for OS4.

The idea is that Amiga Inc. would eventually be unable to prove that they were actively prosecuting threats to their IP before their attention came to a possible threat from Hyperion.

Rogue 
Posted on 20-Sep-2006 0:11:59
#19 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Tigger

Quote:
I haven't seen them say McEwen wrong, etc

I actually said, about the buyback. Read the official Hyperion statement before talking out of your backside.

wonea 
Posted on 20-Sep-2006 0:48:24
#20 ]

@Seer

Quote:

Seer wrote:
@wonea

Erm.. Your first point kinda makes everything else kinda useless don't ya think ?
Not just for PDA's but desktops and whatever kind of hardware device that needs an OS why would anybody even bother with OS4 except for a few thousand hardcore fans?

At any rate, Amiga OS3, OS4 OS4.6 or OS5, it's just a number. As allready was discussed in another thread, I don't think we know enough about what OS5 is going to be anyway to make judgements. (AFAIK, it's not "Intent" based anymore)

Well if you are going to wipe the slate clean with AOS 5, and start afresh. Then I might as well use a different operating system like BeOS. Which I actually use! Okay, it doesn't feel completely like AmigaOS but it does have similarities. Didn't people say back in 1997 or whenever Amiga users should switch to Beos as its the natural successor?

My question is. Will OS5 be a natural successor? AOS4 looks great to me, and Amiga OS 4 Update 4 seems to be garnering praise. I imagine by Update X it will be an extremely well honed system. Will there really be a reason to start again? Wouldn't it just be better to use what's already here? They don't throw the linux kernel out it evolves, and I dare Windows does as well. Okay, vista will be a big rewrite. Okay things break along the way, but things work out eventually.

That's why I say I don't care. For AOS5 is pie in the sky, it won't happen as much as pigs will fly. If Amiga Inc can't even bankroll "their" intermediary step of AOS4, how can they afford AOS5?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle