Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Matt3k

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Matt3k:  16 secs ago
 ktadd:  17 mins ago
 matthey:  34 mins ago
 RobertB:  59 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 55 mins ago
 michalsc:  4 hrs 22 mins ago
 kolla:  6 hrs 42 mins ago
 Torque:  6 hrs 51 mins ago
 Karlos:  7 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Cinnamon - The writer for amiga
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Severin 
Re: Cinnamon - The writer for amiga
Posted on 27-Nov-2006 14:24:25
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Desler

Quote:

Finally I still need some graphic counsel (Background picture, icon themes, size of icons, placement, general layout and such)

hmmm... icon sizes really need to be variable AISS 24x24 is ok for screens up to 1024x768 but for large screenmodes you need 36 or even 48. As for placement, I recomment a floating toolbar in it's own window with optional horizonal, vertical and square layouts.

Background picture should be user selectable but if the toolbar is floating then there isn't much need for a background.

Last edited by Severin on 27-Nov-2006 at 02:27 PM.

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

Profile     Report this post  
filmamigo 
Posted on 27-Nov-2006 14:34:29
#22 ]

@Desler

Great effort! Just the kind of thing the Amiga needs right now.

It may be too obvious to state, but any word processor that I use needs two things: support for styles, and onscreen rulers.

If you are really going cross-platform, I would love to beta test your Mac version. Unfortunately, I do not yet have a NG Amiga.

Dave

Ferry 
Posted on 27-Nov-2006 15:10:16
#23 ]
Cult Member

@Severin

Quote:
@Desler

Sign me up for beta testing...

Ditto.

A1-XE@933MHz, 256 MiB RAM here.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

A1 Cfg
OS4 SCR
A1200

emeck 
Posted on 27-Nov-2006 15:45:57
#24 ]
Cult Member

@Desler
Quote:
- Word doc type compability and other. However I will probably need help with these formats

Maybe this could be useful for you. It is what abiword uses for importing msword formats.

Thank you for your efforts. This is very needed for AmigaOS.

ssolie 
Posted on 27-Nov-2006 16:38:56
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Desler
Great stuff!

Don't forget there is also UtilityBase for your developer related questions. There are some dev discussions here from time to time but mostly there is a lot of political chatter and advertising noise lately which makes it difficult to spot important threads like this one.

Best of luck!

hatschi 
Posted on 27-Nov-2006 16:46:19
#26 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

Quote:
There are some dev discussions here from time to time but mostly there is a lot of political chatter and advertising noise lately which makes it difficult to spot important threads like this one.

Actually it's very easy to spot threads which are important by your definition.

Just use these two links:

Amiga OS4 Software
Amiga Development

For avoiding the two advertising-banners at the top-right, you might want to use a tool such as "Adblock" in case you are using Firefox (sorry, don't know if such a tool exists for Amiga-browsers, but maybe you can just deactivate all imagery).

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 27-Nov-2006 19:06:24
#27 ]

@Desler

Let me know if you need a 68k system to beta test on. And yes I do think my Amiga is "Special"

nzv58l 
Posted on 27-Nov-2006 20:43:54
#28 ]

What pictures or art do you need help with? Let us know and I am sure your inbox will be full of all kinds of art for your every need.

I had an idea about format. I was wondering if you could actually use an HTML format for saved documents. The reason why I was thinking this is it is possible to have a wide variety of text, graphics, animations etc... on a web page and it would also be nice to have a Web page what you see is what you get editor.

I also thought it would be nice if there were one common format that would do the job for a word processor, email or presentation. Perhaps even add spreadsheet to the list. Thats looking ahead quite a bit, but I just thought it might be a good idea to keep something like this in mind durring the initial stages of design. That way, if you are sending an email, it would just use your program to create the reply or read the email and all the email program would have to do is what it does that your program does not.

It is good to see some real work going on with original office type software. I think one of the top things a computer is used for now a days is what a type writer used to be. Looks really nice by the way!

I have an AmigaOneXE with a G4 processor, so if you need to test on this type of machine let me know and I will definitly kick the tires on this one.

corto 
Posted on 27-Nov-2006 20:55:11
#29 ]

@Desler

Hi ! We had a talk about your great work weeks ago. I could help with my knowledge on various formats (Wordworth, Office, ...). I have to continue the efforts on PointRider before working again on Word support I started a long time ago. All Office formats have the same base with OLE encapsulation and more (drawing elements, ...).

I will contact you again soon.

royleith 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 10:39:51
#30 ]
Cult Member

@Desler

Quote:
My idea is to support pure XML and then hope to be able to use some of the converters which are out there. Does anyone have thoughts about this. Would it be better just to try to support microsofts XML?

Firstly, Microsoft will never open the binary blobs which makes direct support almost impossible. Then, they would sue you for patent violation when you published your work.

Much to the open software community's distress, Microsoft have contracted to work with Novell on ODF import filters for Word. Whether they will see the light of day before Novell get embraced, extended and extinquished is anyone's guess. However, OpenOffice.org can deal well with both the defacto .doc format and ODF so most platforms can do that conversion. There is a French company working on the new XML Word format, import and export of ODF formatted documents as well.

I think your proposal (which, I take, as being to use ODF) is best for you and us. Microsoft must work on interoperability with this format if it is to continue to supply many governmental organisations with MS Office, so some sort of conversion to Word is vital for their future.

Regards
Roy Leith

gnarly 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 11:08:24
#31 ]
Cult Member

@Desler

Apparently both OpenOffice and MS Office will support each others formats via plug-ins, so really it comes down to whichever one you find easier to implement.

That said, there will be many more installs of MS Office out in the wild...

gnarly 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 11:10:05
#32 ]
Cult Member

Quote:
If you are really going cross-platform, I would love to beta test your Mac version. Unfortunately, I do not yet have a NG Amiga.

Aye, same here (Macbook, OS-X 10.4.8).

gnarly 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 11:44:14
#33 ]
Cult Member

@royleith

Quote:
Firstly, Microsoft will never open the binary blobs which makes direct support almost impossible.

That's utter rubbish. AFAICT they've documented and opened the entire format this time around.

Quote:
Much to the open software community's distress, Microsoft have contracted to work with Novell on ODF import filters for Word.

Again, rubbish. The open software community's issues with Novell/Microsoft are entirely unrelated.

The import/export filters are Open Source (BSD-like License - http://odf-converter.sourceforge.net/ ) and written by Clever Age, Dialogika and Aztecsoft, funded and managed by Microsoft. It won't be bundled with Office - not ideal, I know, but that's is a largely political decision. They probably will if ODF really takes off. Source: http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2006/07/06/microsoft-office-to-support-odf-the-qa/

Last edited by gnarly on 28-Nov-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Last edited by gnarly on 28-Nov-2006 at 11:46 AM.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 12:20:31
#34 ]

Just curious to know how the printer support is.

Ok. Going back to my happy place now.

FrankBrana 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 13:07:52
#35 ]

@Ferry

Quote:
A1-XE@933MHz, 256 MiB RAM here.

Wow! So your 256MB fast mem belongs to the Men in Black guys?

Saludos Ferry

Desler 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 14:26:47
#36 ]

@ssolie
Actually you have already helped me before with various issues. Dont worry I have a ton of questions yet

@corto
Yes I remember our talks of course. I havnt contacted you because I will not start working on the more complex file plug ins before after the release of the first public version. As always your help will be greatly appreciated

@BigBentheAussie
Printer support... Well non-existing as it is now. However that is mostly because I have never written anything regarding printer functions. The system itself supports any resolution and therefore it "should" be pretty easy to write a print function. It is not on my priority list right now, and in any case I will probably choose to wait until the new printing system is in place on AOS4.
I have been wondering whether to include a "save-as-pdf" choice as a temporary solution however it is MOST certain that that will not find its way to the the first public release. sorry

@all
Thank you for all your interest. I will probably ask a lot of questions but I hope that you will enjoy the end product when it is in a more finished state

Darth_X 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 16:26:39
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Desler

Quote:
Uuups this is what happends when you start making mock-ups 12 o'clock in the evening. Actually Im pretty releived that no-one has noticed the Gilmore Girls episode scattered around the desktop of my mac. THEY BELONG TO MY GIRLFRIEND

I wish Alexis Bledel was MY GIRLFRIEND! heehee

unimon 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 18:12:47
#38 ]

@Desler

Well, are you looking also betatester for 68k version? I have a A4000/060 a little boosted but also a A1XEG4@933Mhz.

So if I can be useful (for example French translation) don't hesitate to contact me on PM.

C U

Nicola

jahc 
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 4:51:51
#39 ]
Elite Member

@Desler

Quote:
The timeplan for this project is:

Beta version for testers in a month
First version for public around the end of january

Cough, its been a month since your post.

I know you said its just for testers, but could you let the non-testers play with it too? Please?

Jeremy_Reimer 
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 5:54:23
#40 ]

@Desler

Please, please, please, if you do nothing else, add a word count feature to the application. This is such a simple thing and yet almost 100% of "lite" wordprocessors miss it, maybe because they think it isn't that important. Well, to anyone who writes for a living (like I do) it's vital.

Thanks and good luck!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle