Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 101 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  26 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 BigD:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 Lou:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 Jose:  3 hrs 12 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 14 mins ago
 t0lkien:  3 hrs 39 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 44 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
Poll : Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Yes
No

PosterThread
Mr.Spackles 
Re: [Poll] Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 17:08:05
#241 ]

@Menthos: its not my fault that your parents havent let you go outside, before you become 30 or something...

@MikeB: first its this wild dream that aos4.0 will run on the ps3, then its the bluray and then its good games for ps3.... its like you are in a coma and never wake up... i guess its to late for you my friend, you will never wake up to the reality...

@Tigger: -Blu_Ray has many more players and that number is constantly increasing-...ehh?...what did you say??... earth calling mars!... the increas in universial players are happening as we speak now becouse other companys dont want to produce a player that only is playing bluray discs, this is becouse there is lack of bluray movies and bluray players isnt selling.... but stand alone hd-dvd players are still produced as before and hddvd movies are selling bucket loads.... sorry to say this but hddvd is the new standard.. so you can live in your denial, for all i care...

Profile     Report this post  
Jorge 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 17:21:14
#242 ]
Cult Member

@minator

Quote:
Pretty much all HDTVs now will handle 1080i signals, the problem is some early HD sets don't and they then default to 480i.

BestBuy has a special for the W4207 on sale for $999. But I haven't seen it supporting 1080i. Then there would be a plasma for the same price which support 1080i (and 720p), but then, its a plasma (and no native 720p resolution) - how bad is that for a PS3 720p in games ? (Contrast ratio is way higher on the plasma, so TV is much better 6000:1 instead of 1600:1)

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

MikeB 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 17:26:45
#243 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

The latest Japanese figures (as of the 28th of January)

Nintendo Wii 81,500 Total: 1,440,000
Sony PS2 22,250 Total: 21,974,250
Sony PS3 20,500 Total: 621,250
XBox 360 7,750 Total: 335,500

Great Nintendo Wii sales. so so PS2/PS3 sales, awful XBox 360 sales.

For comparison, January Japanese sales are usually slow (IMO makes the Wii sales even more impressive):

A week of sales from January 2001 (more PS2 games available, as it was launched in Japan since the 4th of March 2000):

PS2: 26,750
PS: 15,750
Dreamcast: 5,500
N64: 2,750

Last edited by MikeB on 31-Jan-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 31-Jan-2007 at 05:30 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 17:59:09
#244 ]
Elite Member

@Jorge

Quote:
W4207

I wouldn't recommend that model, there are issues of flickering in combination with the PS3 through HDMI. The newer models seem well worth the extra dollars, as users reported the TV works very well.

Last edited by MikeB on 31-Jan-2007 at 05:59 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 18:24:39
#245 ]
Elite Member

@Mr.Spackles

Maybe you should wake up yourself, Blu-Ray isn't dead.

1) The best selling Blu-Ray and HD-DVD title at Amazon is The Departed:

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/graphs/salesrank-time-1-1-recent144.jpg (Blue is Blu-Ray version ranking)

Blu-Ray sales rank: 77
HD-DVD sales rank: 90

2) The second best selling Blu-Ray movie is Flyboys:
Sales rank: 207

The second best selling HD-DVD movie is Batman Begins:
Sales rank: 395

3) The third best selling Blu-Ray movie is Open Season:
Sales rank: 267

The third best selling HD-DVD movie is Babel:
Sales rank: 516

Last edited by MikeB on 31-Jan-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Zardoz 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 19:14:01
#246 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Great Nintendo Wii sales. so so PS2/PS3 sales, awful XBox 360 sales.

They pretty much confirm what I said earlier, DS leads, Wii comes second, the others come after these.

Anonymous 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 19:33:08
# ]

@MikeB

I know I said I was going to stay out, but this is starting to p*ss me off.

You know the saying: Lies, damn lies and statistics.

If you're gonna make it out like the PS3 is doing fine, how about some software sales? It's truly pathetic how you pick and choose between numbers, quote selectively, skip all negativity and spice up everything with completely irrelevant and annoying screenshots. I'm not even sure what you think you're accomplishing with the screenshots, but I know you're trying to twist everything else to your advantage. So stop it, because it makes you look like a damn fool.

Just like last week PS3 sold about half as many software titles as 360.

So we're talking great DS sales, OK Wii and PS2 sales. So-so 360 sales. AWFUL PS3 sales. See.. it's all in the spin.

Anyway, it looks like 360 has gained some traction, since it hasn't dropped back to the pre-Blue Dragon numbers. Oh, and that little PS3 exclusive Unreal Tournament 3? It's not only multi-platform now. It's coming to PS3 last.

But hey, Sony and Microsoft are nothing in Japan. Nintendo is owning the country completely and utterly.

For comparison Atari 2600 had 95% of the market in 1982.

Last edited by Trezzer on 31-Jan-2007 at 07:37 PM.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 19:53:16
#248 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
You know the saying: Lies, damn lies and statistics.

If you're gonna make it out like the PS3 is doing fine, how about some software sales? It's truly pathetic how you pick and choose between numbers, quote selectively

Calm down Mr Testosterone , the XBox 360 software sales were entirely due to the release of 'The Idolmaster', last week it was due to 'Gears of War'. 'Virtua Fighter 5' for the PS3 is about to be released and I think it's gonna sell in Japan.

Not even 1 million XBox 360 software titles sold in well over a year of release. The PS3 is most likely gonna multifold those sales in a year of being available. (See that as a warning, having a temper like you, otherwise you may suffer a heart-attack).

Quote:
o we're talking great DS sales, OK Wii and PS2 sales. So-so 360 sales.

And you attack me? Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, 200,750 copies sold in a week, beating total Nintendo Wii sales (almost double) this week by itself. Who knows, maybe even PS3 owners bought this game!

I already stated the Japanese aren't that much interested in US sports games earlier within this thread, software and hardware sales will pick up when the killer software is released.

With regard to Blue Dragon, I was right that sales would most likely remain low and of course you being yourself you got all upset, but just for nothing as it appears now.

Last edited by MikeB on 31-Jan-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 31-Jan-2007 at 07:56 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 20:03:04
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
Calm down Mr Testosterone , the XBox 360 software sales were entirely due to the release of 'The Idolmaster', last week it was due to 'Gears of War'. 'Virtua Fighter 5' for the PS3 is about to be released and I think it's gonna sell in Japan.

...And the weeks before that it was Blue Dragon, Lost Planet and so forth. And yeah, Virtua Fighter 5 will probably sell well. I'm sure it will too when it hits 360.

Mr. Testosterone? Well, I suppose it's better than what I'd call you if I were to resort to name-calling. Mr. Righteous Anger would be more like it. I can almost imagine see your lanky body bounce with glee over the clever little nick name you thought up there. Kind of like that little self-righteous grin G. W. Bush gets, when he manages to finish a sentence without messing up the multiple syllable words.

Quote:
And you attack me? Grand Theft Auto: San Andrean 200,750 copies sold in a week, beating total Nintendo Wii sales this week on by itself.

So you wanna slug it out with statistics?

Top three publishers for this week:
Nintendo 510,500
Capcom 200,750
Sega 97,500

- and yes, Capcom was the company releasing GTA:SA.

Wii and DS software sales combined are 685500 last week. ALL other platforms combined: 335000.

Spin your way out of that.

Quote:
With regard to Blue Dragon, I was right that sales would most likely remain low and of course you being yourself you got all upset, but just for nothing as it appears now.

Uhm, in what world are you living in? Blue Dragon has almost sold what was forecast already and I'm sure it will manage to reach it before long.

Sales exploded compared to normal sales. Obviously you haven't really been following japanese sales numbers before we started talking about this.

Last edited by Trezzer on 31-Jan-2007 at 08:05 PM.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 20:20:20
#250 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
G. W. Bush

Congrats, worst insult I have suffered so far, well at least Adolf Hilter was a good (but insane) public speaker.

Quote:
Spin your way out of that.

I don't need to I like the Nintendo Wii and DS, and I am gonna continue buying Nintendo titles nomatter if you want to portray me as being anti-Nintendo or not.

Quote:
Sales exploded compared to normal sales. Obviously you haven't really been following japanese sales numbers before we started talking about this.

Some food for thought:

"How did Blue Dragon actually affect perceptions of the Xbox 360 in Japan?

John Ricciardi (1up): Not as much as I think most people hoped it would."

"How about Gears Of War? It looked like it's selling quite nicely - who is it selling to? Is anyone buying an X360 because of it?

JR: Is 33,000 copies really nice? I mean, granted, everything is relative--so yes, in a market where the average 360 game sells around 5,000 copies, 30,000 or so may seem like a big deal, but at the end of the day, their userbase is not expanding. The week Gears came out they only sold a little over 7,000 pieces of hardware. It's not enough."

Last edited by MikeB on 31-Jan-2007 at 08:20 PM.

minator 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 20:21:00
#251 ]
Cult Member

@Jorge

Quote:
BestBuy has a special for the W4207 on sale for $999. But I haven't seen it supporting 1080i.

I had a look and according to Westinghouse it doesn't. However according to CNet, they tested it and it accepted everything they threw at it - including 1080i and 1080p.

[/quote]Then there would be a plasma for the same price which support 1080i (and 720p), but then, its a plasma (and no native 720p resolution) - how bad is that for a PS3 720p in games ? (Contrast ratio is way higher on the plasma, so TV is much better 6000:1 instead of 1600:1)[/quote]

No idea. Some Plasmas tend to have a limited lifetime though, that may be worth checking.

Anonymous 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 20:36:35
# ]

@MikeB

We can easily agree that 360 needs a LOT to gain access to Japan. It needs japanese style games and many of them. This is just the beginning. I was actually surprised that GoW sold that much since it's not a typical game for japanese people...

But PS3 is doing poorly as well - especially considering the loyalty towards japanese brands in Japan.

Report this post  
jtsiren 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 20:42:48
#253 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Calm down Mr Testosterone ... (See that as a warning, having a temper like you, otherwise you may suffer a heart-attack).

Ah, improvement Mike... now you are dishing out open insults instead of just the old veiled kind. Me likes. Just drop the marketing doodoo and we might actually end up having a good conversation.

Personally I don't get it why people (MikeB or Trezzer or anyone for that matter) get so wound up about Japan anyway, other than those who live there. Japan will not determine the success of any console, other than within Japan of course. I guess it is useful tool against Xbox 360, though, because western consoles have traditionally faired badly there. No question about it, Xbox 360 sells very poorly there, but I don't think that - any more than how well or badly PS3 did last week there - is of any consequence to most of us.

Last edited by jtsiren on 31-Jan-2007 at 08:43 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 20:45:11
# ]

@minator

Quote:
Some Plasmas tend to have a limited lifetime though, that may be worth checking.

This is, according to friends of mine on the inside of that business, a thing of the past. Plasmas typically live as long or even longer than TFT and CRT now.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 20:55:52
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
See that as a warning, having a temper like you, otherwise you may suffer a heart-attack

Only droids annoy me. I have no problem with the PS3 performing well - well, if and when it will. Personally I hope the PS3 will do well enough to keep the others on their toes but no more. Another generation of Sony domination would be very sad indeed.

These discussions are far more interesting and informative when you don't participate in them, so half of the time isn't spent by debunking "facts" or ignoring your links and out of context quotes. There is lots of valuable input in these threads, but even if some have come from you, it has drowned in the sea of BS you've posted the rest of the time.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 21:04:14
#256 ]
Elite Member

@jtsiren

Quote:
Ah, improvement Mike... now you are dishing out open insults instead of just the old veiled kind

I prefer calm in-depth discussions, well at least Trezzer does add content and information, unlike for instance the likes of Mr Sparkles. Trezzer just needs to do something about his blood pressure.

Quote:
No question about it, Xbox 360 sells very poorly there, but I don't think that - any more than how well or badly PS3 did last week there - is of any consequence to most of us.

Japan is a very important market, there are so many good Japanese game companies. PS3 users in the US and Europe will likely benefit from the PS3 doing well in Japan for the future, this because there will be more mass production of the PS3/Blu-Ray, thus being easier to cut down PS3/BluRay prices.

@ Trezzer

Resistance: Fall Of Man is neither a game geared towards Japanese gamers, but the game has sold well beyond 100,000 copies.

jtsiren 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 21:07:15
#257 ]
Cult Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
There is lots of valuable input in these threads, but even if some have come from you, it has drowned in the sea of BS you've posted the rest of the time.

The discussion was a lot more specific and interesting when Mike was gone a day or two. But you have to admit, it was also far less numerous and entertaining - at least we get good arguments, if not good discussion, now. ...but this comment is in jest, certainly a good solid discussion about the merits of the consoles would be more lasting and useful.

I don't think Mike posting a lot of links and quotes about PS3 is so much the problem, as is his style to interject this into the flow of the discussion (while ignoring much of the actual discussion). Perhaps he should start a website/blog for all the links, they do seem to drown out interesting discourse and his one-sidedness is a bit annoying (it would be different if he wasn't so obviously biased).

I think Mike did make one good point a few pages ago when he asked shouldn't he be allowed to have interest and opinion about AmigaOne without owning one. He is right, he should and does have a right for interest and opinion, just like all those people who discussed AmigaOne in the past without owning one (and who were criticized because of it by many people).

I still haven't found a reason to get PS3 personally, but who knows what will happen in the future.

Jorge 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 21:19:04
#258 ]
Cult Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
Some Plasmas tend to have a limited lifetime though, that may be worth checking.
Quote:
This is, according to friends of mine on the inside of that business, a thing of the past. Plasmas typically live as long or even longer than TFT and CRT now.

Hm, might apply to brand new ones. I think they even have the "real" 720p (or higher) resolution, now. The "older" ones usually have/had the 1024x720 resolution, which is a bit odd because they need to scale the real 720p signal. But the image looked great, as far as I have seen so far. I believe that "special", however, isn't one of the last generation (that's why these are specials). I might try it out, though. I won't keep it as a gaming TV, but my wife can have it later as soon I can upgrade that to a real 1080p...and it might be OK for a pure TV.

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

Zardoz 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 21:50:52
#259 ]
Team Member

@jtsiren

Quote:
I think Mike did make one good point a few pages ago when he asked shouldn't he be allowed to have interest and opinion about AmigaOne without owning one. He is right, he should and does have a right for interest and opinion, just like all those people who discussed AmigaOne in the past without owning one (and who were criticized because of it by many people).

I wasn't talking about simple opinions, I was talking about the whole "I know better than you" stance, included but not limited to how "great" the licensing scheme was at the time, etc. I would be a hypocrite to say that he's not allowed an opinion on it because he doesn't have one, I don't have one and I have expressed my opinions on it myself on too many occasions.

Tigger 
Posted on 31-Jan-2007 22:03:30
#260 ]
Elite Member

@Mr.Spackles
Quote:

@Tigger: -Blu_Ray has many more players and that number is constantly increasing-...ehh?...what did you say??... earth calling mars!... the increas in universial players

Not a single dual format player has shipped yet, when they come out, they will cost as much as an HD-DVD player plus a PS3, so they arent going to sell that well.

Quote:

This is becouse there is lack of bluray movies and bluray players isnt selling....

Blu-Ray players outnumber HD-DVD players by well over 1,000,000 units. That number grows every single day. Blu-Ray disks are outselling HD-DVD disks.

Quote:

but stand alone hd-dvd players are still produced as before and hddvd movies are selling bucket loads....

Blu-Ray players are outselling HD-DVD players, Blu-Ray disks are outselling HD-DVD disks and Blu-Ray has more studios and lots more players out there.

Quote:

sorry to say this but hddvd is the new standard.. so you can live in your denial, for all i care...

Whos living in denial, CES made it quite plain, HD-DVD is over, Blu-Ray has won, in one year we'll have this same conversation, and you'll be arguing that HD-DVD is going to make a comeback.
-Tig

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle