Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kiFla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kiFla:  3 mins ago
 amigakit:  8 mins ago
 pixie:  9 mins ago
 Matt3k:  11 mins ago
 zipper:  25 mins ago
 pavlor:  30 mins ago
 kriz:  35 mins ago
 matthey:  45 mins ago
 kolla:  47 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  57 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga.com email record issue (SOLVED - Thanks Amiga) & some Amiga email contacts
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
fairlanefastback 
Amiga.com email record issue (SOLVED - Thanks Amiga) & some Amiga email contacts
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 22:15:55
#1 ]
Team Member

hatschi wrote (in another thread)

Quote:

Can't help you with any *working* email adresses, just with the ones that *don't* work:

publicity@amiga.com [sic!] not working (link to Amiga.com forum)

(link is: http://www.amiga.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2582 )

Quote:
I have also repeatedly tried to register to the "official" Amiga.com forums, but never got an activation mail. Multiple times I have sent emails to the webmaster (Ray?) (webmaster@amiga.com) about this issue and never got a reply. Apparently fairlanefastback has similar problems...

The link hatschi sent shows a user in the amiga.com forums trying to alert Amiga that a DNS change has now made it impossible to email Amiga if your email server is fully RFC-compliant (which is quite possible and anyway it should be if its not).

As of this writing dnsreport.com reports the following to back this up:

"FAIL
MX is host name, not IP
ERROR: You have one or more MX record(s) that contain an IP address. This is not valid. A fully RFC-compliant mailserver will not be able to send you mail (although some mail servers will, due to the TCP/IP functions that they use). The problem MX records are:
207.126.57.129."

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=amiga.com

Mistakes can always happen but its quite scarey and embarassing for a technology firm.

That aside if you get a bounceback error from your email server, this is likely why at the moment!

It should be noted to those not familiar with MX DNS records that this means ANY address at amiga.com would be affected, not just publicity@amiga.com, so long as your sending email server is truly RFC-compliant.

EDIT: THREAD TITLE EDITED, ORIGINAL TITLE WAS: "Amiga.com email MX record is not RFC compliant, so you may have trouble emailing them"

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 26-Feb-2007 at 11:55 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 22-Feb-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 22-Feb-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 22-Feb-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 22-Feb-2007 at 10:18 PM.

Amiga 1200

Profile     Report this post  
fairlanefastback 
Re: Amiga.com email MX record is not RFC compliant, so you may have trouble emailing them
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 22:38:04
#2 ]
Team Member

-----Original Message-----
To: webmaster@hakia.com; comments@hakia.com; info@hakia.com
Sent: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 5:36 PM
Subject: Dr. Pentti Kouri's other firm amiga.com

Hello,

Sorry to be taking up anyone's time but some customers of another firm related to your Chariman(Pentti Kouri) are having problems emailing that firm. It looks like an accidental mistake by their tech people, but one they may not be aware of. Since you share the same Chairman (as least I think that is so), maybe you could give them a heads up?

Again sorry for taking up your time. They don't list a phone # that I see to alert them otherwise. If you can't help, no worries.

The problem is listed in their forum site:

http://www.amiga.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2582

and listed as a failure at this DNS reporting site (as of this writing):

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=amiga.com

Regards,
Joe

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Re: Amiga.com email MX record is not RFC compliant, so you may have trouble emailing them
Posted on 23-Feb-2007 2:16:53
#3 ]
Team Member

-----Original Message-----
To: fairlanefastback@aol.com
Sent: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 6:08 PM
Subject: RE: Dr. Pentti Kouri's other firm amiga.com

Thank you! We brought it to their attention.

Best,

hakia team

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 23-Feb-2007 19:42:43
#4 ]
Team Member

@all

They have now fixed this.

You should be able to email amiga.com again if you were one of the people having the issue.

:)

Amiga 1200

wegster 
Posted on 23-Feb-2007 20:25:02
#5 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Heh, most mail servers are quite capable of dealing with that particular snafu.

Whether or not AInc decided to repond, however...is another story.

You really didn't get a bounced mail response, did you?

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 23-Feb-2007 21:03:37
#6 ]
Team Member

@wegster

Quote:

wegster wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Heh, most mail servers are quite capable of dealing with that particular snafu.

Whether or not AInc decided to repond, however...is another story.

You really didn't get a bounced mail response, did you?

I see no reason to debate what is truly RFC compliant. :) Someone was getting a bounceback issue that hatschi linked to over at the amiga.com forums and the reason was the MX record being an ip. There is a reason why at work we don't do that. LOL! Its bound to cause an issue for a number of people, which there is no good reason for that to happen certainly.

I sent a courteous note to someone I thought could call them. They sent a courteous note back that they got in touch with Amiga. And then Amiga fixed it. So thats good. I don't think there is much else to say. I just thought people should know if they did get an error why they did and to be updated when they cleared the problem.

Amiga 1200

Tomas 
Posted on 24-Feb-2007 1:13:31
#7 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback
I never had any problem mailing them, but getting a reply is a whole different question.
I am registered at the amiga.com forum and my username suddenly stopped working with this error: php error: "Could not locate language package" or something along those lines.. This happens after i login and i cannot even browse the forum until my session timesout. I sent ray"webmaster" a mail twice now, the first one being over 6 months ago and i have yet to receive even a reply..

Pretty damn unprofessional.

Edit: The error is the following:
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not locate valid language pack

Last edited by Tomas on 24-Feb-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Last edited by Tomas on 24-Feb-2007 at 01:13 AM.

Troels 
Posted on 24-Feb-2007 17:24:19
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

Well I sent an email to "bill (a) amiga dot com" and he answered within 45 minutes. That was 3 weeks ago and I was positively surprised.

I emailed Bill back right away with a few additional questions but never got any reply. Email resend a couple of times, didn't bounce but after 2-3 weeks still no reply.

If you ask me Amiga Inc is 100% unprofessional, Bill seems like a nice person but I highly doubt they will ever do anything with the Amiga.
Hopefully they will prove me wrong although I would prefer if they sold everything OS4 related to Hyperion, incl. right to use the Amiga name.

Anyway, the above mentioned email adress works, but don't expect a reply they doesn't seem to care much for the community.

number6 
Posted on 24-Feb-2007 17:31:50
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Troels

That is the correct email address.
Bill often answers mail personally, but sadly does not have much time for followups. Best to put all your thoughts in one email.
At the same time, though, it is always best to be succinct.
Best advice I can give is that for any other writer. Write, re-write, re-write before sending. Also try to capture your audience with your 1st line.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 24-Feb-2007 18:06:25
#10 ]
Team Member

@number6

Quote:
Bill often answers mail personally, but sadly does not have much time for followups.

In the course of three weeks?...... taking into account the small size but importance of the community especially?

Quote:
Best advice I can give is that for any other writer. Write, re-write, re-write before sending. Also try to capture your audience with your 1st line.

We should more be Amiga's audience where they want to capture our attention and business than the other way around. Yet despite that people are willing to do so anyway and take time out of their busy lives to try to offer help, words of wisdom, thoughtful questions, maybe even harsh critical advice too its true, because of how much they care about the platform's survival. Yet its often mentioned how they don't respond. And jeez the level of documentation of this in forums is daunting for anyone more newly interested in the platform. We need to see proactive leadership with community and customer communiucation as a high priority. Cisco and Apple have already worked out the iPhone thing. Someone at Amiga should learn a lesson from that.

Amiga 1200

d0c 
Posted on 24-Feb-2007 18:06:43
#11 ]
Cult Member

come on people email bill mceven and post the reply at aw.net, but remember you get only one chance with the email, so try fit every question you have in it...

number6 
Posted on 24-Feb-2007 18:11:35
#12 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
In the course of three weeks?...... taking into account the small size but importance of the community especially?

I'm not about to post what they do and what days they do it. So...maybe I can get away with saying sometimes Bill goes out of town for over a week.
Even people who correspond frequently have learned not to give up on followups.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 24-Feb-2007 18:25:10
#13 ]
Team Member

@d0c

Perhaps cc:'ing Pentti Kouri, assuming he is still Chairman, is not a bad idea as well.

As for posting replies anyone I have seen who said they have gotten one has been very hesitant to post. One member at least alluded to some sort of language in it saying something along the lines of not being able to copy it anywhere. To me if he asked for an NDA to proceed in a conversation thats one thing and should always be honored if agreed to, heck even a gentleman's agreement should be honored of course. But I'm not sure I get how the first email response (if you get one) is not fair game to post should you want to. Granted that may not be a productive thing to do unless thats all you get and you are left hanging. But whatever they are putting in there for who they do reply to, its working! lol

Amiga 1200

d0c 
Posted on 24-Feb-2007 18:40:11
#14 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

honor code between gentelmen.... that boat have gone for bill mceven along time ago...

Tomas 
Posted on 24-Feb-2007 18:41:17
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Troels
I dont know about bill, but the webmaster clearly does not seem to care much.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 24-Feb-2007 18:47:10
#16 ]
Team Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:

I'm not about to post what they do and what days they do it. So...maybe I can get away with saying sometimes Bill goes out of town for over a week.
Even people who correspond frequently have learned not to give up on followups.

Perhaps I can offer a bit of a different perpective. I first joined here in 2005, I was fascinated by OS 4, the unique hardware platform and the creation of all that for such a small user base. I saw vids of the OS in action and was beyond impressed. I talked my interest up to friends. I didn't have $1500 at the time and there was already some garbage going on then that made me walk away then after a month or two. So now I figure to check in and sadly Amiga.com has hardly any changes to it, is terribly outdated (even for basic info), things seem worse between the companies involved and in the scene in general. A small community is splintered all to hell, red vs. blue, exodus from one forum board to make another. Demonizing of some parties, excuses made for others. Putting aside the actions of individuals who are part of the community, when it comes to the companies involved they need to try to be good businessmen. And communicating with your customers and actually having a product are pretty basic concepts. I've heard two people complain about their amiga.com forum logins being all funky. Many more say Bill, or Ray (webmaster), or publicity@ don't draw any responses at all, ever. I'm one of those people with no response to an email I sent to the company. I'll likely send one more. But they are the people in business, not me. They are the people who need to do the "learning" most of all, its just good business! And I'll say this over and over, why dishearten, or worse, perhaps anger someone who loves your brand and wants to give you money? Thats just not something to be messed with!

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 24-Feb-2007 19:00:27
#17 ]
Team Member

@d0c

Quote:

d0c wrote:
@fairlanefastback

honor code between gentelmen.... that boat have gone for bill mceven along time ago...

Perhaps so. In my mind though I write you courteously and you answer me back courteously, if you don't feel comfortable going further in a subject without an agreement, fine. I will respect my end, whether the other party will is another story. If someone operates at a lower level no reason to stoop to it.

I do think though for those who have gotten the single respone and no second response with likely none in sight that it would be most helpful to the community to out those intial emails to the public. In that circumstance I think the community deserves to see what the man at the helm is saying, so long as you have no prior agreement in place with them and are not violating a pre-established trust.

If he writes back to some customer or potential customer he has never met before its hard to fathom why it should be a secret to other potential customers who likely share similar questions.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 24-Feb-2007 at 07:04 PM.

Amiga 1200

number6 
Posted on 24-Feb-2007 19:08:19
#18 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Although I prefer a staff member respond to this...
The history here shows at least one member who DID post email substance here, although the email in question had enclosed the privacy statement.
This was viewed in a less than positive way by AW staff.
Ergo...there is more to consider before posting than your last post would indicate.

hatschi 
Posted on 24-Feb-2007 19:41:26
#19 ]
Elite Member

@number6

If I remember correctly (might be wrong about this), it was viewed in a "less positive way" mainly because said person posted for another, suspended member of this site. This was seen as a measure to circumvent a temporary posting restriction.
I agree that the enclosed privacy statement of private emails needs to be honoured, but as far as I know, said site member only posted the *questions*, not the *answers*. Note that the message already had been removed when I saw the thread, so I might be wrong.
The easiest way would be to simply ask if information can be made public to the "community", this might be even useful if not done by a straight 1:1 copy & paste.

number6 
Posted on 24-Feb-2007 19:49:18
#20 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

Quote:
I agree that the enclosed privacy statement of private emails needs to be honoured,

That is certainly how I would read the site TOS under "copyright", where email is mentioned.
And rather than link to the longer discussion on policy surrounding IRC...
IRC main channel here was agreed to be a public channel, while the other channels (and private) were not.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle