Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 76 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  7 mins ago
 Hammer:  15 mins ago
 Gunnar:  56 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 agami:  3 hrs 25 mins ago
 Lou:  3 hrs 42 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 58 mins ago
 billt:  4 hrs 34 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  7 hrs 27 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  AmigaOne wont boot, flashing cursor
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
AV 
Re: AmigaOne wont boot, flashing cursor
Posted on 25-Sep-2007 10:46:19
#21 ]

@Snuffy

Quote:

Snuffy wrote:
Hi @Severin

You're butting in! You should get some intelligence. Why don't you write a A1 User Manual instead of making cheap comments. I owned the A1 for the last four years.; I know something.

Noone is disputing you know something.
But since you ask how to connect a null-modem cable, you don't know what's needed in your case.
A stock A1200 should do, provided you manage to get it receive data at 115200 which is very tough with the in-built serial port.
Normally you can switch UBoot to 57600 or even lower, but first you need to be able to talk to the console.

Profile     Report this post  
Snuffy 
Posted on 25-Sep-2007 18:38:27
#22 ]

Hi @tomazkid

Sorry for creating a scene. I apologize to Painter and Severin. I'm definetly upset and dumb at the same time. I can't do anything now because I sent my UBoot eprom chip to Amiga Center. So, my bad. I should have asked the questions sooner. I don't when then A1 will get back together to further test.

Hi Rudei,
A brand new battery was the second item replace after the failed LCD monitor. The keyboard was the third item to replace. I dont know what happened, but my sytem got a 'summer slammed' good.

Hi Adria ,
Thanks for the info. I'll try to check things out as soon as I can. When I chose the setting in UBoot 1.1.1 -- "Restore lost settings", that's when it switched to black screen and flaching cursor; and boots up that way now? I'm kind of lost on how to navigate with this enviroment. I welcome suggestions.

RacerX 
Posted on 25-Sep-2007 20:58:46
#23 ]

@Snuffy

One thing to try;

Remove battery (make sure power is off of course).

Attempt to boot A1 (of course it will fail without battery).

Turn off power and replace battery.

Turn power on and try to boot.

Good Luck!

royleith 
Posted on 26-Sep-2007 12:00:18
#24 ]
Cult Member

@Snuffy

As I wrote further down the thread I had exactly the same problem. 'Restore Lost Settings' has produced the same problem for lots of folk.

With the power off, take the battery out. Wait for a minute to make sure all the settings are lost. Put the battery back in. You will get UBoot when you power up. This time choose 'Default Settings'. It should boot into OS4.0 although it will take a while if you are using an SI IDE card.

When you are into OS4.0, change the UBoot prefs to what you need. Save a backup copy of the settings so that you can restore them more quickly, next time.

Regards
Roy Leith

Leki 
Posted on 27-Sep-2007 2:14:50
#25 ]

ok i have now got a brand new battery and tried that along with doing the remove battery and power on then put back in trick but it still didn't work.

i have tried typing commands in such as "setenv stdout vga" but nothing gets displayed....wouldn't typing "ide reset" make the CDROM spin up to check what was in the drive?....if so that doesn't work.

can't find my null modem cable, so guess i will have to go buy one. will it definitely show whats going on using it?

anyone got any other sugestions?

thanks

Last edited by Leki on 27-Sep-2007 at 02:15 AM.

Hans 
Posted on 27-Sep-2007 2:38:13
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Leki

Quote:

Leki wrote:
i have tried typing commands in such as "setenv stdout vga" but nothing gets displayed....wouldn't typing "ide reset" make the CDROM spin up to check what was in the drive?....if so that doesn't work.

Getting a null modem cable is probably the best bet at the moment. Typing blindly assumes that UBoot is at the command prompt. It could well be in the menu. I can't think of anything else to try at the moment.

Hans

painter 
Posted on 27-Sep-2007 15:42:46
#27 ]
Cult Member

@Leki

I've tried getting serioal output to an a2000 nfrom my amiga1 but never got any data. SO if you get it to work let me know.

painter

Leki 
Posted on 27-Sep-2007 16:28:17
#28 ]

@Hans

just thinking...if it is in the menu (as it did go to menu before updating uboot) what if one of you told me what to press to exit it and get it back to a command promt?

Snuffy 
Posted on 2-Oct-2007 17:02:06
#29 ]

Hi all and especially Andria Valinotto,

I'm booting backup to OS4.0 July'07 Edition. Thanks Jean-Jaques at Amiga Center for his help and all of you for assistance.
The origainal problem was the LCD monitor failed. When I got the warranty replacement, the keyboard was dead, so I dug up the original keyboard and boot up with a new battery (3.2V) into
Uboot prompt. All was OK except all the USB and SIIde settings were gone. Well, I expected that
because I replaced the battery holder -- the original was getting too wobbly. Here's where it gets
lost: my nvram list was in my USB memory and this dummy never made a printed copy! Geez,
I'm not too bright! Anyway, I looked at the options and chose 'lost settings' etc. ( I don't remember
the exact wording ). Well, that killed the whole visual UBoot enviroment and was left with the
black screen and flashing cursor! That ended all the sessions in UBoot.
I really suspected more summer heat damage was plaguing the system than expected. So,
while Amiga Center checked my Uboot rom chip out, I pulled my mobo apart and looked over
everything. This last weekend it was all reassembled. I bootuped up Saturday into UBoot prompt
fine and typed in all my settings and saved them. I booted up the A1200 into Term with serial
settings set to 115,200 and Capture buffers set to 'save to file'. OK, the A1 was switched on:

U-Boot 1.1.1 (Mar 3 2005 - 16:42:53), Build: 03/03/05

CPU: MPC7450 v2.1 @ 800 MHz
Board: AmigaOne
DRAM:
Information for SIMM bank 0:
Number of banks: 2
Number of row addresses: 12
Number of coumns addresses: 10
SIMM is registered
Supported burst lenghts: 8 4 2 1 PAGE
Supported CAS latencies: CAS 3
RAS to CAS latency: 3
Precharge latency: 3
SDRAM highest CAS latency: 750
SDRAM 2nd highest CAS latency: 0
SDRAM data width: 8
Auto Refresh supported
Refresh time: 2084 clocks
Bank 0 size: 128 MB
Bank 1 size: 128 MB

Slot 1: vacant
DIMM0_B0_SCR0 = 0x00e77f00
DIMM0_B1_SCR0 = 0x00e77f0FLASH: 0 kB
VGA: 0..
In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
SCSI: Error SCSI Controller (1000,000F) not found
Net: 3Com 3c920c#0
AT Keyboard initialized!
USB: scanning bus for devices... 3 USB Devices found

Bus 0: OK Bus 1: OK
Device 0: Model: WDC WD400BB-00JHC0 Firm: 05.01C05 Ser#: WD-WMAMA5497000
Type: Hard Disk
Capacity: 38166.6 MB = 37.2 GB (78165360 x 512)
Device 1: Model: WDC WD200BB-75D000 Firm: 05.03E05 Ser#: WD-WMAD1H139000
Type: Hard Disk
Capacity: 19073.4 MB = 18.6 GB (39062500 x 512)
Device 2: Vendor: AOPEN Prod.: DUW1616/ARR Rev: 1020
Type: Removable CD ROM
Capacity: not available
Device 3: Vendor: LITE-ON Prod.: CD-RW SOHR-5239 Rev: 2$0A
Type: Removable CD ROM
Capacity: not available
Press any key to interrupt autoboot: 0

First-level bootloader: entered main
First-level bootloader: got 3 valid boot sources
AmigaOS4 first-level bootloader.
Scanning HDD WDC WD400BB-00JHC0 WD-WMAMA5497000 05.01C05... Entered find_sec_
start
Reading sector 0
Reading sector 1
Found an HD
FLB: found something
FLB: SLB of length 27828; loading
found AmigaOS4 second level bootloader.
FLB: SLB loaded; now launching it
Loading .text @ 0x014000a0 (22464 bytes)
Loading .rodata @ 0x01405860 (2488 bytes)
Loading .eh_frame @ 0x01406218 (52 bytes)
Loading .got2 @ 0x0141624c (724 bytes)
Loading .data @ 0x01416520 (208 bytes)
Loading .sdata @ 0x014165f0 (16 bytes)
Clearing .sbss @ 0x01416600 (168 bytes)
Clearing .bss @ 0x014166a8 (3928 bytes)
A1 Second-level booter V2.
Idea, design and main co
Booting configuration AmigaOS4.0
---

Snuffy 
Posted on 2-Oct-2007 17:13:08
#30 ]

Hi @painter

've tried getting serioal output to an a2000 nfrom my amiga1 but never got any data. SO if you get it to work let me know.

My A1200 settings were 115,200 ; 8N1 ; Zmodem and ' Hex emulation' for a null NULL modem. Can you verify a serial connection with dialup? I ask because I've seen
a few damaged serial port connectors over time.

Hans 
Posted on 2-Oct-2007 19:31:45
#31 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Snuffy wrote:
Hi @painter

've tried getting serioal output to an a2000 nfrom my amiga1 but never got any data. SO if you get it to work let me know.

My A1200 settings were 115,200 ; 8N1 ; Zmodem and ' Hex emulation' for a null NULL modem. Can you verify a serial connection with dialup? I ask because I've seen
a few damaged serial port connectors over time.

If Snuffy's settings don't work, try 9600 baud, 8N1. Z-modem emulation should not be used (but won't hurt). You could also try switching off all handshaking. Also, make sure that you're using com1, not com2. You should see the terminal program output something, even if it's garbled because of the wrong baud rate.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 02-Oct-2007 at 07:41 PM.

Swisso 
Posted on 2-Oct-2007 19:58:33
#32 ]

@Leki
OK this problem is similar to that which some of us have encountered upon installing the reworked cpu modules. We have found that by reducing the cpu multiplier ( I started mine at 266mhz) it caused the A1 to fire up when previously all we had was a blank screen with a flashing cursor. Once the system booted up I gradually increased the setting until I reached the optimum cpu speed ( in my case 1.27Ghz). To this day nobody knows why this phenomenon occurs and I am only glad that there is a way to overcome it. But it may be worth checking your dip switch settings and also making sure your Vcore settings have not been disturbed. Just a thought ok.

er....CDTV!

Leki 
Posted on 24-Oct-2009 11:26:42
#33 ]

OK so i got side tracked and 2 years have passed with me still having the same problem but i just saw some videos of OS4.1.1 and i'm determined to get this working again.

i have just ordered this null modem cable http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/cables/null-modem-9-pin-female-to-9-pin-female-2m.html so hopefully i can get a reason why its not booting.

Has anyone got any other suggestions i could try....maybe some new developments have been figured out for this problem in the last 2 years?

@Swisso
thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work for me :(

Leki 
Posted on 28-Oct-2009 2:15:19
#34 ]

ok i now think i have this fixed so thanks for the help guys.

For anyone else that has the problem what needed to be done to fix it was like suggested, connected a null modem cable up and use http://amigaworld.net/modules/features/index.php?op=r&cat_id=4&rev_id=125&sort_by guide which once all connected i could see the output from the amigaone in the terminal so i then typed:

setenv stdout vga
saveenv

(to get output back to monitor...then..)

setenv stdin ps2kbd
saveenv

(to get keyboard control on the A1 back)

then i typed "menu" and used to "Default/fix settings" and then "restore factory default settings"

Last edited by Leki on 28-Oct-2009 at 02:16 AM.

Snuffy 
Posted on 28-Oct-2009 23:11:45
#35 ]

Hi @Leki
...it all went through fine just like previous uboot updates i have done in the past but after the automatic restart all i get is a flashing white cursor in the top left of the screen :(
Has anyone got any other suggestions i could try....maybe some new developments have been figured out for this problem in the last 2 years?

Wow, revisiting a fine old thread!!! Anyway, the biggest connection to the battery BTW, is the battery holder itself! The original was real cheap junk! I replaced mine in Sept/Oct 2007 and the same battery then is working fine now. The AmigaKit Battery Holder was the best upgrade I ever made! It's all about good connections!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle