Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
5 crawler(s) on-line.
 93 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  1 min ago
 utri007:  7 mins ago
 pixie:  10 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  46 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 Lou:  3 hrs 2 mins ago
 thinkchip:  3 hrs 26 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  New UBoot ?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
tomazkid 
New UBoot ?
Posted on 4-Nov-2007 5:42:06
#1 ]
Team Member

Seeing Acube and ACK flashing repaired Amigaones with UBoot versions greater than 1.1.1, I wonder if there will public versions available these coming years, and what is new in these higher versions?

Does Radeon RV100 still cause trouble in XE's when used together with Terratec Aureon, etc. ?

Last edited by tomazkid on 04-Nov-2007 at 05:42 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Rogue 
Re: New UBoot ?
Posted on 4-Nov-2007 8:58:43
#2 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@tomazkid

We have done a U-Boot 1.2.0 but there are still some loose ends to take care of, and right now, I am busy with other stuff. It will eventually come, but I cannot tell you when.

I did fix some issues with graphics card/Sound card overlaps, so your problem might be fixed in the meantime.

Amigo1 
Posted on 4-Nov-2007 9:03:44
#3 ]

@tomazkid

I'm looking for an inproved U-Boot too (1.1.1 here). Since I'm using an USB keyboard-mouse combo my AmigaONE XE takes about 68 seconds to boot if I disconnect the PS2 keyboard (4 retries to reset ps2 keyboard in uboot). That's pretty annoying.

Leaving the ps2keyb connectected gives some probs with CAPSLOCK sometimes (obvious).

I also wonder how they will improve OS4 for -if it will ever happend- SAM or any other platform without PS2 connectors, since I noticed that when a recovery allert happens, one cannot use the USB mouse to click it away. And also sometimes when the grimreaper appears, and some task crashes, it seems to take some part of USB-stack with it (USB-Sticks or HDs strangely continue to work in most of the cases) and one has to rely on the PS2 keboard and mouse again..

This really feels a lot "OS4-beta" ATM..

edit: @Rogue I have to speed up my typing ability...a few minutes to late, I hope you will read this anyway though.

Last edited by Amigo1 on 04-Nov-2007 at 09:06 AM.

Giovanni 
Posted on 4-Nov-2007 9:24:57
#4 ]

@Rogue

Quote:
We have done a U-Boot 1.2.0 but there

Good to hear!

Kicko 
Posted on 4-Nov-2007 10:20:25
#5 ]
Elite Member

Good to hear here too :)

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 4-Nov-2007 12:18:06
#6 ]

UBoot - http://www.denx.de/wiki/UBoot/WebHome

UBoot Source Code - http://www.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=u-boot.git;a=summary

Rogue 
Posted on 4-Nov-2007 13:16:16
#7 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Amigo1

Quote:
'm looking for an inproved U-Boot too (1.1.1 here). Since I'm using an USB keyboard-mouse combo my AmigaONE XE takes about 68 seconds to boot if I disconnect the PS2 keyboard (4 retries to reset ps2 keyboard in uboot). That's pretty annoying.

I've taken away a few of these repeats, but some slow keyboards can fail to connect that way so at least one retry is required.

Quote:
one cannot use the USB mouse to click it away.

That is because interrupts are disabled during Alerts... if you ask me, there isn't much point in changing THAT, the thing to do would be to get rid off alerts - it's a really antiquated method by now and could/should be replaced with proper Requesters.

Rogue 
Posted on 4-Nov-2007 13:18:06
#8 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@meet.mrnrg

Don't even think about trying to build U-Boot yourself. You can do that of course, but that is a sure way to make your AmigaOne unusable (unless you run Linux only). There are things in the ROM that are not under GPL and are not freely available, trying to build it yourself is asking for trouble, and no, I am not going to help if someone tried anyway.

Sandpiper 
Posted on 4-Nov-2007 15:17:03
#9 ]

@Rogue

Goods news. Does the new UBoot version fix the problem of using PCI gfx cards in the micro?

Amigo1 
Posted on 4-Nov-2007 15:54:28
#10 ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@Amigo1

Quote:
'm looking for an inproved U-Boot too (1.1.1 here). Since I'm using an USB keyboard-mouse combo my AmigaONE XE takes about 68 seconds to boot if I disconnect the PS2 keyboard (4 retries to reset ps2 keyboard in uboot). That's pretty annoying.

I've taken away a few of these repeats, but some slow keyboards can fail to connect that way so at least one retry is required.

that sounds good! It will at least save some seconds. thanks!!
Quote:

Quote:
one cannot use the USB mouse to click it away.

That is because interrupts are disabled during Alerts... if you ask me, there isn't much point in changing THAT, the thing to do would be to get rid off alerts - it's a really antiquated method by now and could/should be replaced with proper Requesters.

I second that. those alerts are pretty pointless imho too. Can't they be catched by the GrimReaper?

tomazkid 
Posted on 4-Nov-2007 16:48:30
#11 ]
Team Member

@Rogue

Good to hear it is in the works

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 4-Nov-2007 22:44:42
#12 ]

@tomazkid

SAM 440 PPC comes with UBoot 1,2.0 from Hyperion I believe.

Is the UBoot on AmigaONE's update able?
Is the UBoot on SAM 440 PPC update able?

Last edited by meet.mrnrg on 04-Nov-2007 at 10:47 PM.

umisef 
Posted on 4-Nov-2007 23:29:31
#13 ]

@Rogue

Quote:
ou can do that of course, but that is a sure way to make your AmigaOne unusable (unless you run Linux only). There are things in the ROM that are not under GPL and are not freely available, trying to build it yourself is asking for trouble, and no, I am not going to help if someone tried anyway.

Uhm, considering that those same things are likely part of a binary which you distributed, you might want to reconsider. The whole *point* of the GPL is that people *can* benefit from improvements to the GPL'ed code, so if you combine the GPL'ed code with non-GPL'ed code in a way which prevents benefitting from improvements, you are likely in violation of the license.

You have, in the past, distributed U-Boot updates as binaries, and on at least one occasion have provided the source on request. Are you now saying that one could not have built the binary from the source?

RacerX 
Posted on 11-Nov-2007 0:48:58
#14 ]

@Rogue

I suppose the new UBoot will take care of the

Reading sector 1
Reading sector 2
Reading sector 3
Reading sector 255

thing on some systems. Just a minor annoyance.

whose 
Posted on 11-Nov-2007 1:06:21
#15 ]
Cult Member

@umisef

Maybe you are mixing up "dependency" with "same location"? Is anything that isn't GPL'd automagically GPL'd just because it resides on the same harddrive? Or within the same FlashROM?

umisef 
Posted on 20-Nov-2007 5:57:36
#16 ]

@whose

Quote:
Is anything that isn't GPL'd automagically GPL'd just because it resides on the same harddrive? Or within the same FlashROM?

Of course not. But *if* you distribute a binary containing GPL'ed code, *then* you must provide the user with the ability to benefit from improvements to the GPL'ed code --- which comes down to you must provide the user with all the sources to the GPL'ed parts, and everything else that is needed to recreate the binary you have distributed from them.

If you distribute two things merely next to each other, with it being trivial for the user to replace one without replacing the other (as is the case on the hard drive), then that's not a problem. When, however, you combine binary code created from GPL'ed sources with proprietary, closed binary code in such a way that the user cannot replace one without replacing the other, you then have created a single, derived binary which, as parts of it are GPL-derived, would have to be wholly distributed under the GPL.

Thus, Hyperion has the choice of (a) distributing all the sources, including the so-called proprietary ones, under the GPL, (b) making available the tools which allow the users to make use of the rights which the GPL was designed to bestow upon them, or (c) violate the license of the GPL'ed part.

Currently, it appears, Hyperion chooses (c).

whose 
Posted on 20-Nov-2007 7:21:02
#17 ]
Cult Member

@umisef

You didn't read Rogues post fully, did you? You can create a working UBoot FlashROM binary from the sources they provide.

I still can't see any violation of the GPL, because the GPL part improvements are fully accessible to the user and are fully usable without the proprietary part contained within the FlashROM.

Rogue 
Posted on 20-Nov-2007 9:14:15
#18 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@umisef

Quote:
You have, in the past, distributed U-Boot updates as binaries, and on at least one occasion have provided the source on request. Are you now saying that one could not have built the binary from the source?

Of course you can, but you cannot run AmigaOS because AmigaOS uses code in the ROM that is not GPL'ed.

This code is not executed by U-Boot, it's merely distributed in the same ROM, so this is not a derivate work.

Rogue 
Posted on 20-Nov-2007 9:24:02
#19 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@umisef

Quote:
Currently, it appears, Hyperion chooses (c).

As I said, you can replace the GPL'ed part. You cannot recreate the whole ROM from the U-Boot sources, you can however build a ROM image, copy the parts of the original ROM over, and flash the result. That might work if the ROM you built is not too big (we're talking about a 512 KB ROM here with about 480 KB image).

However, the dongle code is not executed by the GPL, merely distributed on the same media, much like some Linux distributions have GPL'ed and non-GPL'ed code on their CD's. I do not see a GPL violation here, nor do I see the need a "derived work" here, as much as a Linux CD with XFree86 will automatically cover XFree86 under the GPL just because it is on the same CD.

I would like to ask you to refrain from making ominous claims. If you can prove that this is a derivate work (mind you, prove, not claim or argue), go ahead and do so.

umisef 
Posted on 20-Nov-2007 12:41:28
#20 ]

@Rogue

Quote:
Of course you can, but you cannot run AmigaOS because AmigaOS uses code in the ROM that is not GPL'ed.

This code is not executed by U-Boot, it's merely distributed in the same ROM, so this is not a derivate work

If the "distributed in the same ROM" is done in such a way as to form a single, inseparable binary, then the whole is a derived work.

If the "distributed in the same ROM" is done in such a way that the user can replace the GPL'ed part, but leave the non-GPL'ed part intact (i.e. the two parts are distributed together, but as separate works), then the user could replace U-Boot and still run AmigaOS.

What you decidedly cannot do under the GPL is to create an inseparable hybrid between GPL'ed and non-GPL'ed software, and act as if the GPL did not apply to the whole. To quote from the license itself:

Quote:
These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole. If identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program, and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those sections when you distribute them as separate works. But when you distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote it.

And just in case there is doubt about whether being able to actually use the modifications one makes on one's computer is one of those freedoms the GPL is all about, the essay The Free Software Definition states:

Quote:
Free software is a matter of the users' freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. More precisely, it refers to four kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:[...]
* The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

and then

Quote:
In the GNU project, we use copyleft to protect these freedoms legally for everyone

In other words, the license used by the GNU project (the copyleft/GPL) protects, among many other things, the freedom to make and benefit from improvements.

The current distribution model for A1 U-Boot images denies OS4 users that freedom, as they cannot improve the GPL'ed U-Boot and benefit from the improvements.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle