Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
37 crawler(s) on-line.
 43 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 t0lkien:  22 mins ago
 amigakit:  25 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  37 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 ggw:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 clint:  3 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  AmigaNetCenter update
Register To Post

PosterThread
jtubbs 
AmigaNetCenter update
Posted on 3-Feb-2008 6:31:22
#1 ]

Hello,
I just uploaded to OS4Depot an archive to update AmigaNetCenter from alpha to v.1. Further information should be appearing soon in the News postings.

Jim

Profile     Report this post  
Dragster 
Re: AmigaNetCenter update
Posted on 3-Feb-2008 8:51:30
#2 ]

@jtubbs

Great!!! Thanks! I use it everyday

cheers!

Powerbook G4 1139/MOS 3.9/OSX 10.5.8. Pegasos II 2B5 Mobo. 2 GB RAM. 400 GB x 2 GB ATA HD, USB 2.0 PCI. SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS Gold. Quad boot: AmigaOS 4.1 FInal Edition, MorphOS 3.9 regged, Debian Lenny PPC, OpenSUSE 11.1. Rockin'

jtubbs 
Posted on 3-Feb-2008 9:00:58
#3 ]

@Dragster

Glad to hear it. I have found I tend to use it every day as well. In fact, I've found it so darn convenient I often don't even turn the networking on until I need it, then turn it off. A few mouse clicks, and every thing is there.

Jim

Dragster 
Posted on 4-Feb-2008 5:09:57
#4 ]

@jtubbs

Exactly, so fast and simple

I expected more replies to this thread tho.

Cheers!

D.

Powerbook G4 1139/MOS 3.9/OSX 10.5.8. Pegasos II 2B5 Mobo. 2 GB RAM. 400 GB x 2 GB ATA HD, USB 2.0 PCI. SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS Gold. Quad boot: AmigaOS 4.1 FInal Edition, MorphOS 3.9 regged, Debian Lenny PPC, OpenSUSE 11.1. Rockin'

Hans 
Posted on 13-Feb-2008 1:06:42
#5 ]
Elite Member

@jtubbs

Hi,
I finally had time to install and test this. My win-xp laptop now has no trouble connecting to my Amiga. Good work.

AmigaNetCenter still doesn't like having "run NIL: C:AddNetInterface QUIET DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.info)" in startup. If it can't access the network because Addnetinterface hasn't finished, could you make AmigaNB wait and periodically try again? That way I won't have to manually startup the server (at least it's correctly detecting the lack of a network now).

Unfortunately I still don't see any other machines from AmigaNetCenter. If I have time, I might take a look with wireshark and take a peek at what's going on.

Hans

EDITED: It looked like it didn't work, but I forgot that I reset my machine.

Last edited by Hans on 13-Feb-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Last edited by Hans on 13-Feb-2008 at 01:24 AM.

jtubbs 
Posted on 13-Feb-2008 4:21:47
#6 ]

@Hans

Quote:
AmigaNetCenter still doesn't like having "run NIL: C:AddNetInterface QUIET DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.info)" in startup.

That's odd...I'm not at my A1 at the moment, but I believe my startup-script uses the same line. I'll have to check that. If it does there must be something about your configuration that simply takes longer to initialize.

Quote:
If it can't access the network because Addnetinterface hasn't finished, could you make AmigaNB wait and periodically try again?

It wouldn't be too hard for me to add a loop/delay function (in a system friendly way)in the section of code that checks the interface. In fact, the smart thing to do would be to add an option so the user could adjust the delay to their particular needs. Hmmmmm.

Quote:
Unfortunately I still don't see any other machines from AmigaNetCenter.

If you're not seeing any other machines there's really only two possibilities - the first is which ever machine is acting as the Local Master Browser is not responding to AmigaNB's requests. This will happen if the LMB is operating in P mode (which will never respond to broadcasts). This mode is used if the server is set to use winbind or function as an NBNS.

The second is your network doesn't have an LMB and everything is peer to peer. Due to some changes I have made for the next version, the second problem will be addressed, since for now AmigaNB relies on the presence of an LMB to get the list of networked machines. The first problem will be addressed with version 2 which will implement the full browser service.

Quote:
EDITED: It looked like it didn't work, but I forgot that I reset my machine.

On the other hand, it may be none of the above :)

Jim

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Feb-2008 5:24:24
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:
AmigaNetCenter still doesn't like having "run NIL: C:AddNetInterface QUIET DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.info)" in startup. If it can't access the network because Addnetinterface hasn't finished, could you make AmigaNB wait and periodically try again? That way I won't have to manually startup the server (at least it's correctly detecting the lack of a network now).

What if you change the NIL: to a >NIL: or even a less-thanNIL: >NIL: for complete isolation?

Damn! Why can't we include normal Amiga characters in our posts? It makes things confusing when the text is corrupted.

Last edited by Hypex on 13-Feb-2008 at 05:34 AM.
Last edited by Hypex on 13-Feb-2008 at 05:31 AM.
Last edited by Hypex on 13-Feb-2008 at 05:27 AM.

Niolator 
Posted on 13-Feb-2008 5:45:58
#8 ]

@jtubbs

Nice! I think AmiTradeCenter is the best ftp program for the Amiga platform by far.

jtubbs 
Posted on 13-Feb-2008 6:53:02
#9 ]

@Niolator

Quote:
Nice! I think AmiTradeCenter is the best ftp program for the Amiga platform by far.

Wish I could take credit for it! :)

Jim

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Feb-2008 13:48:10
#10 ]
Elite Member

@jtubbs

Quote:
Wish I could take credit for it! :)

So do I! Then we could run it native.

Hans 
Posted on 13-Feb-2008 14:52:15
#11 ]
Elite Member

@jtubbs

Quote:

jtubbs wrote:
@Hans

Quote:
AmigaNetCenter still doesn't like having "run NIL: C:AddNetInterface QUIET DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.info)" in startup.

That's odd...I'm not at my A1 at the moment, but I believe my startup-script uses the same line. I'll have to check that. If it does there must be something about your configuration that simply takes longer to initialize.

Probably my crappy router/modem from Sympatico. I had a good wireless router but they gave me this useless one to use with their DSL service.

Quote:

Quote:
If it can't access the network because Addnetinterface hasn't finished, could you make AmigaNB wait and periodically try again?

It wouldn't be too hard for me to add a loop/delay function (in a system friendly way)in the section of code that checks the interface. In fact, the smart thing to do would be to add an option so the user could adjust the delay to their particular needs. Hmmmmm.

I'd suggest a default of trying again once every ten seconds for several minutes before it gives up. You might want to add a requester that tells the user that AmigaNetCenter can't access the network. These kind of things are important for the user to know.

I can confirm that I still can't see any other machines from AmigaNetCenter so I'll have a look with wireshark if/when I have time. I'll also wait for version 2 which has the peer to peer support.

Hans

Tomppeli 
Posted on 18-Feb-2008 20:19:10
#12 ]

@jtubbs

It looks like it doesn't work with Samba 3.0.2 (latest Ubuntu) ?

jtubbs 
Posted on 18-Feb-2008 20:47:49
#13 ]

@Tomppeli

I can't speak for Ubuntu, although I've used it with FedoraCore8, v.3.0.28 My biggest problem right now is getting FC8 properly configured. I fiddled with some of its settings awhile back, and now my A1 can't connect. It's not AmigaNetCenter, cuz I had working fine before. sigh.....

When you say it doesn't work, can you be more specific? Is your linux box showing up in NetCenter? Is it failing to mount smbfs properly?

Jim

Cass 
Posted on 14-Jul-2012 15:28:15
#14 ]

@jtubbs

I tried to mount Amiga Volumes to the PC, but failed to do so. I enter the local IP as \\192.168.1.10 and the XP side responds as there was a misspell or wrong data?!

Last edited by Cass on 15-Jul-2012 at 11:00 AM.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle