Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kiFla:  7 mins ago
 Torque:  28 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 kriz:  3 hrs 25 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 38 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  3 hrs 50 mins ago
 Rassilon:  3 hrs 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  NATAMI??
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
PosterThread
wawa 
Re: NATAMI??
Posted on 31-Mar-2008 13:16:49
#621 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer
huh?
Quote:

Hammer wrote:
Quote:

wawa wrote:
what concerns the case i would not personnally target a portable solution at the moment. something like that might be reasonable if there is a real opportunity for natami to compete in the chip 3rd world notebook challenge. maybe this is an option. but i cant judge it.
anyways having installed ubuntu lately i realise now that a simple operating system like amiga os along with maybe a little limited but lovely hardware might be competitive against overblown win and linux distributions on overheated x86 architecture.
if only it was dependable enough...

OLPC's AMD Geode LX 700 @433Mhz has 0.8 Watts TDP btw.OLPC laptop's software overclocking to 566Mhz didn't affect battery life.

whats that supposed to answer?

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 31-Mar-2008 13:19:40
#622 ]
Elite Member

(edit)

Last edited by wawa on 31-Mar-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 31-Mar-2008 at 01:20 PM.

Bamiga2002 
Posted on 15-Apr-2008 7:50:29
#623 ]

How about a hit counter and/or a guestbook on the NatAmi site?

CodeSmith 
Posted on 15-Apr-2008 11:13:37
#624 ]
Elite Member

@Bamiga2002

If it's all the same to you, I'd much rather they finish the hardware first. The website is fine as it is right now.

wawa 
Posted on 15-Apr-2008 13:30:48
#625 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

sure its not a priority but also not a big deal to do. this way one could estimate how much people such an idea does attract. if they are smart they did put some kinda counter already for themselves.

Last edited by wawa on 15-Apr-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Mr_DBUG 
Posted on 16-Apr-2008 0:51:43
#626 ]

@cHaOs667

Quote:

cHaOs667 wrote:
@BigGun

Uh! That looks really impressive!

btw: I would love to see NATAMI with an PPC CPU and OS4... but these are just my 2 pence...

Me too ! They can surely make it as an expansion card ??

However an A1200 compatible classic would be what I want.
Something like the Boxer .. And reasonably priced .. Not like PC hardware i understand but as a hobby niche gadget I guess.

Just UPDATED classic debugged and reliable hardware ! That would sell for a couple of years !

Heck Id buy a new A1200 still if it was made to fiddle with ! .. the refurbished and new old stock is too old for me to waste cash on .. But a debugged and reliable new product is a different matter... Emphasis on BUG FREE as the important factor, not like an A1 that was bugged and broken ..(at least that has been my impression. )

(And can someone please make a CASE for the Minimig ?)

Last edited by Mr_DBUG on 16-Apr-2008 at 01:41 AM.
Last edited by Mr_DBUG on 16-Apr-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Last edited by Mr_DBUG on 16-Apr-2008 at 12:55 AM.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 16-Apr-2008 2:32:20
#627 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Webcounters are completely useless for anything other than an ego boost. The NatAmi website just needs to appear in slashdot or Digg, and there will be tens of millions of hits, and still roughly the same number of people will end up buying one.

Rob 
Posted on 16-Apr-2008 3:44:17
#628 ]
Elite Member

@Mr_DBUG

Quote:
Emphasis on BUG FREE as the important factor, not like an A1 that was bugged and broken ..(at least that has been my impression.

If you had use of OS4 on my XE/G4 you would never know there were bugs in the Articia S if no one told you. A Pegasos 1 user with the April fix would probably tell you the same.

wegster 
Posted on 16-Apr-2008 5:09:53
#629 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:

Rob wrote:
@Mr_DBUG

Quote:
Emphasis on BUG FREE as the important factor, not like an A1 that was bugged and broken ..(at least that has been my impression.

If you had use of OS4 on my XE/G4 you would never know there were bugs in the Articia S if no one told you. A Pegasos 1 user with the April fix would probably tell you the same.

1. Enable onboard sound. Oh, wait, it's usually not there.
2. Use USB kb and mouse, playing mp3s, and something with graphics use. Listen for the static. Bus noise.
3. Play music, plus heavy graphics use, enable debug output to serial port. Again, wait for noise.
4. Put two sticks of matched RAM in SE or XE. Run memtester for 24 hours. Either you're amazingly lucky, or you'll see errors. I have nearly $1000 of RAM to back this statement up.
5. See how many micros and others were DOA out of box, or nearly so. Seriously poor 'quality' control there.

There are more, but it's late.

OS4 runs well, but let's not pretend there are no 'issues' on the A1s.

Bamiga2002 
Posted on 27-Apr-2008 19:02:21
#630 ]

@BigGun
What's going on with the NatAmi right now? Testing various things with the prototype and such?

I'm so keen to know ! Please keep us posted

hotrod 
Posted on 27-Apr-2008 22:46:14
#631 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

First of all the version of the Atricia S on the Peg I is an earlier version than the one on the A1 and it got more bugs.

1. It was removed because people where moaning about the horror of paying 30$ for sound when it didn't work. Now you've gotten what you wanted so why the h*ll are you complaining for now?

These motherboards are getting pretty old, your statements are just as old. Everyone knows about the problems... just drop it!

Zardoz 
Posted on 27-Apr-2008 22:54:17
#632 ]
Team Member

@hotrod

Quote:
First of all the version of the Atricia S on the Peg I is an earlier version than the one on the A1 and it got more bugs.

1. It was removed because people where moaning about the horror of paying 30$ for sound when it didn't work. Now you've gotten what you wanted so why the h*ll are you complaining for now?

These motherboards are getting pretty old, your statements are just as old. Everyone knows about the problems... just drop it!

For a very simple reason. Unless if people finally acknowledge and understand the problems, this situation is bound to be repeated and they will get bitten on the @rs3 again. All the stuff Wegster mentioned had nothing to do with the Peg1, btw, he's never had one, only an AmigaOne.

umisef 
Posted on 28-Apr-2008 2:04:11
#633 ]

@hotrod

Quote:
1. It was removed because people where moaning about the horror of paying 30$ for sound when it didn't work

I must have missed the resulting $30 price drop. Also, I must have missed the announcement of the spec change --- IIRC, the "oh my, we removed that chip from the board long ago" only came when people wanted to start using their onboard sound through the newly developed driver.

wegster 
Posted on 28-Apr-2008 2:20:45
#634 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

Quote:

hotrod wrote:
@wegster

I'm sorry, too funny.

1. I wasn't talking to you, but responding to this statement, by Rob:

Quote:

2. I pointed out the several ways you can certainly still tell there are problems. And they do indeed, remain valid.

3. I got what I wanted? Eh? Working onboard sound, and others? Not. Warrantee support for the USB fix? Not. Discount for that $30? Not.

So sorry, but right back at you..don't want to read responses to other people's statements, then don't read them, or continue the discussion of them, but otherwise, the post remained on topic as a valid response to Rob.

Chuckt 
Posted on 28-Apr-2008 2:47:23
#635 ]

@Mr_DBUG

Quote:

Mr_DBUG wrote:
@cHaOs667

[quote]

(And can someone please make a CASE for the Minimig ?)

I asked for a dead minimig or an unpopulated one but got no response.

There are companies that make cases but you have to buy them in quantities of 50.

bitman 
Posted on 28-Apr-2008 11:07:26
#636 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

There are companies that make cases but you have to buy them in quantities of 50.

Only 50? If somebody can come up with a good design - and a manufacturer that will produce in quantities of 50 - i could finance the production (depending on price per. case ofcourse).

Chuckt 
Posted on 28-Apr-2008 11:30:21
#637 ]

@bitman

Quote:

bitman wrote:
Quote:

Only 50? If somebody can come up with a good design - and a manufacturer that will produce in quantities of 50 - i could finance the production (depending on price per. case ofcourse).

It isn't worth it for companies to build one.

There are companies on the internet that build plastic and aluminum cases and it wouldn't make sense to send them a working MiniMig since it would probably be handled a lot.

I emailed the makers of the MiniMig and didn't get a response. It is their product and they don't have to answer me. Perhaps they want to sell you one at a later date.

It is a financial risk because I don't know if I could sell 50 cases and I don't know if advertising would be allowed on this site or if there is even 50 users on here that would use them. And if there was a MiniMig II that changed the shape and size of the design then it is a financial risk. I had ideas that would even include a fan for the case but the MiniMig came out and momentum for my ideas was lost and without some support from the makers, I've lost interest.

bitman 
Posted on 28-Apr-2008 11:40:10
#638 ]
Cult Member

@Chuckt

Well let me know if you get further. I still think (for me) that it's only a little financial risk, if for example the production costs pr. unit is 30¤

Chuckt 
Posted on 28-Apr-2008 14:34:32
#639 ]

@bitman

I don't want to get involved anymore but the IBM community has a lot of people who do case modding and modding competitions that can make their computer look like an X-Wing Fighter from Star Wars and I've seen PC's put into wooden drum cases so anyone can be creative. All you need is the imagination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_modding

hotrod 
Posted on 28-Apr-2008 17:29:07
#640 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

1. And I responded to what you wrote.

2. And I told you you where wrong? No I didn't so this doesn't hold any water.

3. I comented on the removement of the soundchip wich you know is valid. And it's sad that some people still talk about the same old things they did when the A1 XE was released.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle