Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 89 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  6 mins ago
 amigakit:  8 mins ago
 bhabbott:  27 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  34 mins ago
 Rob:  49 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 billt:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 Lou:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  2 hrs 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  RE: APC&TCP: Project Guru Book Reprint Discontinued
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
HenryCase 
RE: APC&TCP: Project Guru Book Reprint Discontinued
Posted on 21-May-2008 2:35:35
#21 ]
Cult Member

Quote:
wegster wrote:
@HenryCase
Did you send the mail?

*free bump*

Thanks for the free bump wegster.

Yes, I sent an e-mail to Ralph yesterday, and a message to TPB today. No response to either yet, but I will wait another day before chasing up again.

189 signatures on the petition now, I am pleased it continues to grow in size. Well done Amigans.

Profile     Report this post  
Moxee 
Posted on 21-May-2008 16:04:56
#22 ]
Team Member

@HenryCase

Good to see so many interested.

Last edited by Moxee on 21-May-2008 at 04:06 PM.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

NomadOfNorad 
Posted on 24-May-2008 3:54:19
#23 ]
Cult Member
From: Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy

@thread

There are 208 signatures right now, including mine.

edit: fixed the broken emoticon

edit: You know, I just had an interesting thought: I wonder if some outfit like the makers of the Natami and/or the makers of the Minimig, or for that matter Cloanto, the makers of AmigaForever, or all of them together, might be willing to subsidize the printing of this book.

Last edited by NomadOfNorad on 24-May-2008 at 05:05 AM.
Last edited by NomadOfNorad on 24-May-2008 at 04:00 AM.

wegster 
Posted on 24-May-2008 23:50:12
#24 ]
Elite Member

@HenryCase

*bump again*

Any response?

HenryCase 
Posted on 25-May-2008 17:11:02
#25 ]
Cult Member

@wegster

No response from Ralph yet, but I only sent my second e-mail today (Sunday 25th May) so I am still hopeful I will get a reply of some sort soon.

On Friday I had had a response from The Pirate Bay, which was not very encouraging, but I sent them another e-mail, we'll just have to see what happens on that front.

213 signatures on the petition now. I stopped pimping it heavily when we reached 170 signatures so its good to see it has a life of its own! There are a few groups I didn't get around to contact (developers of the different versions of UAE for instance) so I reckon we could get higher numbers but it has already served its purpose well I feel.

NomadOfNorad 
Posted on 25-May-2008 22:25:13
#26 ]
Cult Member
From: Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy

@HenryCase

It'd be a good idea to mention it over at www.natami.net as well. They have a webforum over here, or you could simply email them from here.

Slick 
Posted on 26-May-2008 10:03:23
#27 ]

@HenryCase

Thanks... that's an excellent summary of printing on demand.

As I don't think the manual has many colour pics in it... or pics at all for that matter... it probably doesn't matter if the graphics quality is imperfect... as it sounds like the print quality & B&W graphic quality is excellent.

tiffers 
Posted on 27-May-2008 14:59:56
#28 ]

@Hans

I had a look at the page you linked to over at Utilitybase, regarding the cost differences between offset and digital printing. They refer to the cost of offset being more efficient between 500 to 2000 sheets. Now I'm sure that the book, comprising of over 800 pages would easily hit this target well before making 200 copies of the book.

It'd be nice to know someone in the industry who would be able to give us a decent estimate.

Given that the petition has over 200 signatures, I wonder how many would be the best number to print, to make allowances for future sales (ie people returning to the scene who hadn't heard of it, or new talent coming in).

tiffers

Hans 
Posted on 27-May-2008 16:17:03
#29 ]
Elite Member

@tiffers

I remember seeing several sites that used the term sheets, but I thought that it said copies. Anyway, I'm not sure what they mean with "sheets." I doubt that they mean individual printed sheets as every page in the book must get its own printing plate made.

I can't find any details on this, but I'd expect that an offset-printing sheet is much larger than a single sheet in the book. Thus N*M*2 (*2 for double-sided printing) pages would be printed onto a single sheet and then cut.

I'd be curious to know what exactly an offset-printing sheet is. If anyone knows, please post it here.

Hans

tiffers 
Posted on 27-May-2008 17:36:57
#30 ]

@Hans

Quote:

Thus N*M*2 (*2 for double-sided printing) pages would be printed onto a single sheet and then cut.

Exactly. Now to find out some offset printing sheet sizes

tiffers

Moxee 
Posted on 5-Jun-2008 21:38:06
#31 ]
Team Member

-BUMP-

Any progress?

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

HenryCase 
Posted on 5-Jun-2008 22:41:17
#32 ]
Cult Member

Quote:
Moxee wrote:
-BUMP-

Any progress?

Thanks for the bump Moxee. Progress? A couple more e-mails exchanged, but no concrete progress as of yet. Ralph did tell me he was quite busy, so I'm not rushing things.

Tiffers, I'd be interested to hear if you found out any more information about offset printing. Could really help us.

Daedalus 
Posted on 5-Jun-2008 23:08:33
#33 ]

@HenryCase

My dad had a book printed and published by some company in Canada who used digital presses, and therefore no plate masters to be made. It made for very expensive print runs for thousands of books, but runs of even 100 were possible. That was several years ago now, so I'll have to go ask him about the company, but I do remember they accepted a PostScript file and sent some draft copies for approval before the initial print run. I typeset it myself... Dead proud I am

I'll try and find out some more details about them though!

[edit] On reading over the thread again, I see printing on demand was ruled out. I really don't think it should be dismissed so readily, the quality of the printing really isn't any different from most other books, and given the wide choice of paper we had, it actually feels slightly "richer" or something to read. But I guess it's moot if there's no intention of having it printed anyway :(

Last edited by Daedalus on 05-Jun-2008 at 11:14 PM.

HenryCase 
Posted on 5-Jun-2008 23:17:42
#34 ]
Cult Member

@Daedalus
Thanks Daedalus, more printing information would be great.

As far I know offset printing is the preferred method for getting the book published, but I'm not really sure how this printing technique works.

HenryCase 
Posted on 23-Jun-2008 2:58:38
#35 ]
Cult Member

I'm restarting this campaign. Well I mean I never really stopped, but now I need some help again.

Let's get this out of the way now: I have been in contact with Ralph Babel, but progress has been slow. However, I do not see this as a bad sign.

The reason I am asking for help again is this: I saw two targets for the Amiga Guru Book petition, but I only mentioned one, and to be honest I thought the 170 signature target might have been overly optimistic at first (before the numbers didn't stop going up).

The second signature target I saw was to surpass the number of people who had downloaded the infamous torrent, which is around 302 people now. At the time of writing this, the petition has reached 247 signatures even though I haven't done much to promote it since we reached the 170 target.

So, a couple of things:
1. Please don't download the torrent unless you're confident it'll be the only way to easily obtain the material in the near future (the book still could be published at this point, Ralph has not told me otherwise).
2. If you haven't signed the petition yet and want to see Amiga programmers get access to one of the best (maybe even THE best, according to owners of the book) Amiga programming resources around, sign the petition.

I am duplicating this message on the following Amiga websites (in alphabetical order): amigans.net, amiga.org, amigaworld.net, AROS-Exec.org, AROSWorld.org, eab.abime.net (English Amiga Board), MorphZone.org, UtilityBase.com. I know this topic has been discussed on other Amiga forums, so please pass on this 'drumming up support' message to the places it needs to be heard. Also, does anyone know if there is a central point to discuss this issue with all those involved with UAE ports? The Amiga Guru Book should be handy for the emulation crew as well.

That's all for now. Sign on (you crazy diamonds!).
http://www.petitiononline.com/4m1ga123/petition.html

Last edited by HenryCase on 23-Jun-2008 at 03:06 AM.

tiffers 
Posted on 23-Jun-2008 6:27:11
#36 ]

@HenryCase

Was looking into this again. Found the video on this page on marketing your PoD book quite interesting. Publishing excerpts of the book online kept website traffic numbers up, but it wasn't giving away th ewhole book, so people could see the book was decent, and then ordered the printed version.

How is this relevant? Well, I guess if a site for the guru book(s) could be made, it might increase mind share and therefore FUTURE sales.

That page also mentions having to increase the number of pages of their example book to 176 for "8-up" printing. That'd make it 8 pages per sheet (single sided I guess). I found some print presses using ~460mm x ~650 sheets, so 8 per page is probably about right. 16 double sided. If the Guru book were 832 pages, that'd be 52 sheets for just one book, or 13,000 sheets for 250 copies. I think this book is definitely in the realm of cost-effective offset printing :) (remember the figure we'd heard was 500 - 2000 sheets.)

So, now just to hear back from some industry contacts. I have emailed a couple of printing places, and will email some more, and will return with results.

tiffers

Hans 
Posted on 23-Jun-2008 13:54:27
#37 ]
Elite Member

@tiffers

Quote:

tiffers wrote:

That page also mentions having to increase the number of pages of their example book to 176 for "8-up" printing. That'd make it 8 pages per sheet (single sided I guess). I found some print presses using ~460mm x ~650 sheets, so 8 per page is probably about right. 16 double sided. If the Guru book were 832 pages, that'd be 52 sheets for just one book, or 13,000 sheets for 250 copies. I think this book is definitely in the realm of cost-effective offset printing :) (remember the figure we'd heard was 500 - 2000 sheets.)

So, now just to hear back from some industry contacts. I have emailed a couple of printing places, and will email some more, and will return with results.

That sounds promising.

Hans

CodeSmith 
Posted on 20-Jul-2008 22:08:49
#38 ]
Elite Member

*bump*

Any news? The petition's up to 255 signatures as of five minutes ago.

timofonic 
Posted on 17-Mar-2010 14:48:49
#39 ]

Sorry to bumping an old thread but...

Any news?

Toaks 
Posted on 17-Mar-2010 18:00:13
#40 ]
Elite Member

i see that this old thread has been woken up again..

any news here? , icertainly hope so.

i never voted /signed the petition but i would get it for sure.

i have the old 1993 version but i would still get the new edition of the book even if its a mere reprint because of the value and collection nutcase i am.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle