Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 85 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  12 mins ago
 vox:  13 mins ago
 zipper:  13 mins ago
 Gunnar:  18 mins ago
 matthey:  23 mins ago
 Karlos:  30 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  33 mins ago
 danwood:  44 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  45 mins ago
 Lou:  50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Os4.1 & graphics cards (continued)
Register To Post

PosterThread
number6 
Os4.1 & graphics cards (continued)
Posted on 9-Aug-2008 2:49:26
#1 ]
Elite Member

@all

This is a continuation of the discussion from:
Os4.1 & graphics cards

Participants from the thread above should continue the discussion here, until the database issues are resolved. Thank you.

@staff

Sorry if I'm stepping on anyone's toes here, but it appeared people wanted to continue the discussion and I thought I should go ahead and re-direct it here.

Profile     Report this post  
kgrach 
Re: Os4.1 & graphics cards (continued)
Posted on 9-Aug-2008 3:47:57
#2 ]
Cult Member

@all

The reason I get mad about this MYTH of PCI graphics cards not working after the fix is because, I have done this fix to over 3 dozen A1XE motherboards. Everyone one of those boards I tested with a Voodoo 5500 PCI video card because that was just the card I had in my A1 test setup. I never knew that it was not supposed to work. So by telling me PCI doesn't work after the fix is PURE BUNK.

Now Tonyw saying a got lucky with my board is one thing but to get lucky over 36 times is just insane to suggest when the only luck I have is bad luck.

So let me say this if your PCI slots stopped working after the fix I would go after the guy who did the fix because he broke your board. Either he did the fix wrong or used a non grounded soldering station and fried something .

THIS IS WHY THE FIX SHOULD ONLY BE DONE BY QUALIFIED PROFFESIONALS!!!!!

The issue with the uA1 and video cards not working is because of the built in Video chip not because of the fix.

No I don't make any money on the Mod. I charge $35 USD for the DMA & USB fix combo it takes over an hour with the setup and complete testing of the board before and after the mod. I do it because it makes a huge speed up of the system and improves usability of the A1XE motherboard.

I don't know how clear I have to make this. I am willing to put this myth to bed
bercause that is exactly what it is.

I am willing to show what ever video proof you need in front of witnesses of several modified A1's running a variety of PCI Video cards in both the regular and 66mhz slot.

So I am kindly asking you for help. Tell me what you need to see to prove that the mod has been done to these machines.

I am thinking of a plain table in the middle of the room with an A1XE with a monitor sitting on top of a tower case with the cover removed so you can clearly see the cards and the only thing running to the table is a power cable. I have a voodoo 5500 PCI , Voodoo 3000 PCI, Radeon 7000 PCI , and a radeon 9250 PCI card for testing and now I only need from you what you will take as definative proof that the mod has been done.

The next LICA meeting will be next Friday and I will ask for members of the local user group to bring thier A1's to the group so we can show these cards working in thier modified machines.

Kgrach

Last edited by kgrach on 09-Aug-2008 at 03:48 AM.

tonyw 
Posted on 9-Aug-2008 4:50:35
#3 ]
Elite Member

@kgrach

Kurt, I can't see any way of resolving this disagreement. You won't accept my story and I'm not going to take my A1 to america. Nor am I going to waste time and bandwidth repeating the points. I've better things to do.

Let's just agree that not everyone has the same results.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

kgrach 
Posted on 9-Aug-2008 6:21:37
#4 ]
Cult Member

@tonyw

I am offering to get sincere proof that the mod does not affect PCI slots if done correctly.

Yet you stubbornly refuse to admit your board was broken.
Have the mod reversed and you will see it still doesn't work.
Better yet take it to someone else and make sure it was done correctly.

EVERYONE WHO I DID THE BOARD FOR GOT THE SAME RESULTS!!!!!
Everything works. I modified every version of the XE board with every iteration of the CPU all worked. So what was special about your board NADA!! The difference was the person who performed the mod. The reason it was not posted publicly was the fear that most people would break their boards trying to do something they have no right even attempting and blaming Eyetech.
Sorry I can't help you. You have ONE duff board after the mod.
I have over three dozen working boards and not ONE failure in the bunch.

But I can help others because in the last time I checked I got better speeds off of the internal ide than with the add-on cards.

This disagreement is because you keep spreading a misconception!!
The fix does not break the PCI slots and I am willing to post proof with witnesses unless you want to call the all of the Long Island Amiga user’s liars.

You claim your board broke after the fix. I can't say whether it did or didn't. All I am saying the fix did not break your board. It was the idiot who did it who broke your board.

If anything you have a point and it should serve as a cautionary tale of making sure you get your board modified by a qualified technician.

You shouldn't state that the fix broke the PCI ports on your board. As there is no evidence at all that it can break them. All you can state is your board was broken by the individual who did the mod.

Kgrach

Tonyw Post the pictures of the mod I want to see the motherboard at the lower left hand corner of the daughterboard.

I might be able to spot what went wrong and offer a suggestion to fix it

Kgrach

royleith 
Posted on 9-Aug-2008 10:17:53
#5 ]
Cult Member

@gadgetgaz

This reply got lost in the great server crash of 2008.

Quote:
Guys this is majorly confusing. I have a XE G4. How do you tell from the descriptions on ebay which 9250 AGP to use? I need a chart with recomended manufacturers. I definitely want the 4.1 and the right card ready to use. Can anyone clearly recommend a generic allround safe choice?

Yer darn tooting. I was very lucky in that I rushed out to buy two AGP 9250s from the UK ebuyer for my XE G4 before I read this thread. I looked for the best value for money with 256MB DDR Memory on ebuyer and came up with the Sapphire product. I recommend that everyone else with an XE does the same thing because I don't think they will be on sale that much longer and that's why the price is so low.

Since I did not know that it was almost certainly AGPx8 (it is) and low voltage (probably an all-voltage card) I just plugged it in and it worked. I'm using it while I type this message. I think it has been working 24/7 for about a month, but you can look through my previous posts, here, to get an exact date.

The only thing I had to do was set the tooltype 'Softsprite=NO' and I was away. It works fine with DVPlayer. It seems to produce a brighter, clearer image as well, but that could just be these old brain cells playing tricks on me.

Regards
Roy Leith

gadgetgaz 
Posted on 9-Aug-2008 10:38:29
#6 ]

@royleith

Thanks, mine was the last post on the old thread before it went TU. (hope it wasn't me that broke it!)

Anyway, I'll repost the message here at the bottom incase any UK users are looking for a Radeon 9250.

5 cards have been sold since yesterday and there are still 100 left.
Cheers, royleith, I ordered mine yesterday just hoping that it would work so i am pleased you already tested one. I figured that £26 (inc postage) wasn't that big a risk.

Note, they also have the 128MB card for £19 !!!!! I went for the 256MB version.

I am pleased it is reported to work in my AOne XE with OS4.0 final in the meantime before 4.1 is released.

@Paul Whilst we are looking around the web for Radeon 9250 cards will this one work OK from ebuyer (in the UK)? They have over a hundred for sale at a very cheap price. They are a Sapphire Radeon 9250 8xAGP with 256MB RAM http://www.ebuyer.com/product/112762/show_product_specifications

Last edited by gadgetgaz on 09-Aug-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Last edited by gadgetgaz on 09-Aug-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Last edited by gadgetgaz on 09-Aug-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Paul 
Posted on 9-Aug-2008 16:32:57
#7 ]
Cult Member

@gadgetgaz

Sorry I couldn't get a reply to you.

The Sapphire site lists both of their 9250 cards as 2x,4x,and 8x capable.

All Sapphire models after the 9250 are NOT listed as 2x capable. Other manufacturer's will vary.

Here's the site with useful generic AGP information that AWeb garbled yesterday.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

Paul

edit= Even Firefox doesn't seem to like using the URL button. Three edits later, I think it's working now.

Last edited by Paul on 09-Aug-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Last edited by Paul on 09-Aug-2008 at 04:38 PM.

Paul 
Posted on 9-Aug-2008 16:46:19
#8 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:
Participants from the thread above should continue the discussion here, until the database issues are resolved. Thank you.

Weird. After I posted to Gadgetgaz.s post, his post shows up split to the left, and my post shows up split to the right.

Yesterday, my first post was from the A1, the second post from an XP box at work with Firefox. This one is from an XP box from home. Two different providers, three different browsers.

I'm guessing it's not something I've done, then.

Paul

number6 
Posted on 9-Aug-2008 17:19:33
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Paul

Quote:
I'm guessing it's not something I've done, then.

No, it's not anything -you've- done.
And it is not related to the AW database issues either.
It is a "hanging quote" left in the post by @Gadgetgaz.
When a mod shows up, it will be fixed.

gadgetgaz 
Posted on 9-Aug-2008 18:19:43
#10 ]

@number6

Sorry about that people, I edited my post using IE and it seems to have corrected the problem. I think there is an issue with Firefox 3.0.1 and the automatic quote facility.

Last edited by gadgetgaz on 09-Aug-2008 at 06:22 PM.

Stephen_Robinson 
Posted on 9-Aug-2008 19:05:45
#11 ]

I'm sure this has been answered before but, I can't seem to find the answer, and err.. anyway:-

Is the Graphics card on the µA1 capable of all the features of OS4.1?

painter 
Posted on 9-Aug-2008 19:15:53
#12 ]
Cult Member

@tonyw

I have to agree with Kgrach on this. My mobo fix was done by Livewire when they existed and pci graphics cards work fine in it. So it may be that how the fix is done has and effect on the abiolity toi use pci graphics card. Do it one way no pci graphics do it another way pci graohics work fine.

painter

HammerD 
Posted on 9-Aug-2008 20:09:06
#13 ]
Cult Member

@Stephen_Robinson

Yes, the microA1 on-board Radeon 7000 is capable of the new transparency and compositing modes in OS 4.1, and overall the performance is quite good.

The main problem, when using higher-resolution screens, is the limited 32MB of on-board graphics memory. If you are running screens like 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 you are going to see the effects of the limited graphics memory. As OS 4 manages this situation you may experience some slow-down. Best in that situation to keep open screens to a minimum, use 16-bit instead of 32-bit, or just use Workbench instead of custom screens.

With more graphics memory you are fine, obviously.

Stephen_Robinson 
Posted on 9-Aug-2008 21:32:58
#14 ]

@HammerD

In that case, and given that I don't go higher than 1280*1024 (or whatever it is), I shall be buying a copy!

number6 
Posted on 11-Aug-2008 18:36:36
#15 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

*bump*, since I think Hans in:
New graphics cards for OS4 made possible at last!!
is referring to some of the information in this thread.

Swoop 
Posted on 13-Aug-2008 6:53:51
#16 ]
Elite Member

@thread
Can someone confirm if This card will work OK?

Thanks

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

gadgetgaz 
Posted on 13-Aug-2008 8:43:47
#17 ]

@Swoop

Of course I can't actually confirm it will work but it has the same spec as the one I have ordered but with a different manufacturer. i.e. radeon 9250 processor with 256MB DDR ram and up to 8x AGP interface.
royleith stated in a earlier post on this thread that the card I have ordered works fine in the A1 so I think you should be OK with the one you are looking at.

Swoop 
Posted on 13-Aug-2008 10:15:22
#18 ]
Elite Member

@gadgetgaz

Thanks for a quick reply.
It's not a bad card for £11.95 + postage, and brand new.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Paul 
Posted on 15-Aug-2008 3:47:10
#19 ]
Cult Member

@Swoop

Quote:
@thread
Can someone confirm if This card will work OK?

Note the key slots on the card edge. The one closest to the back place indicates that it will do the slower speeds.

The web site notes 2x/4x/8x near the end of the specs list, too.

The one I bought on eBay arrived today. Kind'a funny. . . now if I have AbiWord running under Cygnix, I now have more free video memory than I do system memory.

Paul

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle