Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 86 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  22 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  26 mins ago
 matthey:  41 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  52 mins ago
 kriz:  57 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 55 mins ago
 Frank:  3 hrs 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  Hyperion Entertainment blasts idea of x86 Amiga OS (2001)
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
clusteruk 
Hyperion Entertainment blasts idea of x86 Amiga OS (2001)
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 14:35:25
#1 ]

Please read this page

Hyperion Entertainment blasts idea of x86 Amiga OS

I found this page while just looking around web, and it is very interesting especially if you read comments towards end where he states that Apple would not be stupid enough to go to x86.

Quote:
Mac OS X could be brought to x86 relatively easily. The core of Mac OS X already runs on x86 but there isn’t a hair on Steve Jobs’ head that thinks about giving up his nicely insulated niche-market in favor of head to head competition with Windows on the same hardware. Apple wants its developers to stay in business so they can keep Apple’s users happy by providing them with software not available on other platforms.

Now I honestly mean no disrespect, I have said things in the past that came back and bit me on the ass. But perhaps he was wrong because I think Apple and Linux are going OK, especialy Apple, there business has boomed on x86. What this gentleman could not see at the time is that Microsft, Apple, Linux are not the future programming platform, the Internet is.

Therefore an efficient Amiga future OS like Aros built around fast cheap hardware x86 and the cloud computing is where the future is. Even Microsoft are trying to get involved so why can we not do the same but with an efficient system.

Aros is already setup with x86 compatibility, and Cloud computing as part of its strategy, look at Icaros Web Apps. People want a nice easy to understand computer that will play their movies, music, some games and put them on the web for all the rest. Even games are going onto the web, time to think into the future where we can be now. This is a new world and Aros WILL fit in well next year.

Profile     Report this post  
billt 
Re: Hyperion Entertainment blasts idea of x86 Amiga OS (2001)
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 14:55:01
#2 ]
Elite Member

@clusteruk

If AROS and its derivatives want to concentrate on Cloud coomputing, have at it. I don't understand what Hyperion has to do with that decision though. And if the internet and Cloud is the future, what difference does the CPU make?

I guess I don't understand the connections between the different topics in your post, Hyperion blasting x86, Apple's switch to x86, then x86 and local operating system being irrelevant anyway, then AROS will own everything because it is embracing Cloud. If this is just an advertizement for AROS, then just talk about that, and leave out the hard to connect parts about x86 and Hyperion.

Crumb 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 15:03:11
#3 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Quote:
If AROS and its derivatives want to concentrate on Cloud coomputing, have at it. I don't understand what Hyperion has to do with that decision though. And if the internet and Cloud is the future, what difference does the CPU make?

The difference is spending 1000 or 500 to have a computer where you can do most of your tasks. And sometimes the difference is that you can only have *one* computer and if your main computer doesn't run alternative/toy OSes then bad luck: you need Windows/OSX to work.

choochy 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 15:14:03
#4 ]

@clusteruk

I don't see why Hyperion don't just port OS4 to x86. Legal issues aside I think its the best chance for OS4. The guys from Hyperion already told us numerous times that, with the HAL they have in place, it would only be a matter of a few weeks to port it to another platform.

The issue that comes in from here on would be general hardware support (drivers for video, sound, etc). The other issue is licensing the OS for specific base hardwares, which in my opinion is silly seeming Amiga/Hyperion are software only companies and they need sales. I understand that hardware options would be very limited until drivers are developed, but this naturally happens over time. At least people would easily be able to afford throwing one together.

Amiga, now, is all about the software, the OS. The hardware currently produced is just as standard as any other hardware. So why are they making custom boards, it made sense when Amiga had hardware that other manufacturers didn't, but thats not the case anymore.

Everyone could afford an Amiga again.

And for all those people out there that keep saying that it would kill the OS by doing this.... I hear this on OS news all the time.... how would having a larger customer base decrease/stop already non existent sales?

clusteruk 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 15:15:49
#5 ]

@billt

My only reason for posting is the anti x86 feelings in this community spoil what could be a great future. And I only said that most programming is cloud based these days. I have only written ever Internet based application in the last 8 years. My latest is a high end Document Management system that can be run from Aros, my company write nothing but web apps which will run on any platform with a modern browser.

This is not the end of client applications, just that the bulk of money is going into cloud apps. Facebook, Ebay, Photbucket, Office online, etc etc etc etc.

The average user does not actually care about platform, just can it do the things I need to do or can it not. I do not underestimate the Microsoft brand but Apple has captured a large share by being very cool and designed to be "I want one" products.

There is a market, but the hardware MUST be cheap, almost give away like laptops now. Eeepc is a perfect example, if that had been an AmigaOS4 machine it would sell huge numbers because it works well. But it is x86 and so cannot be.

This is the reality we face.

Mikey_C 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 15:16:15
#6 ]
Elite Member

@all

Oh No, Please, Spare us of another AmigaOS on x86 thread.

Its very simple, if you want to run AmigaOS on x86 then you can make do with running AROS on your x86 PC instead, be done with it, stop grumbling, move on etc.
If it happens, it happens, if not, well you didn't lose out did you? You can still put windows or linux on it.

If you want to run OS4.x only then dish up the money and go PPC.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Mikey_C on 01-Apr-2009 at 03:17 PM.

choochy 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 15:25:00
#7 ]

@Mikey_C

No disrespect, but if we all feel like having a chat about this topic even if it is AGAIN, then whats wrong with that, you dont need to read it!

This is actually the first time I have joined in on this specific topic, not to mention that I have had a change in feelings toward this issue which I'd like to discuss.

Yes I agree, if u want to run OS4.x only then dish up the money and go PPC, which is something I did. But for the future of OS4 and our love of it, I/we will continually be having this discussion.

So please spare us ur judgements. Just cos you have read 100's of these threads doesn't mean we have.

Cheers ;)

clusteruk 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 15:27:08
#8 ]

@Mikey_C

Whilst your opinion is your own, I have been in this market since 1989, have made and lost money in it. The one overiding passion was to get the Amiga into as many hands as possible not the elite few. I have seen your comments around this site and others and i respect your opinion. But this site is AmigaWorld.net and not AmigaonPPCwrittenbyHyperion.net. AmigaOS4 is potentially in a legal sense not an official version and is just another flavour, a very good one but there you are.

As for making do with Aros, it is not about making do, I chose the BEST operating system for my use of Amiga like systems. It is almost as good as OS4 now on hardware that is ten times faster and one fifth the price.

billt 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 15:28:11
#9 ]
Elite Member

@choochy

Quote:
The guys from Hyperion already told us numerous times that, with the HAL they have in place, it would only be a matter of a few weeks to port it to another platform.

I thought that was in the context of a different PPC motherboard, with different PPC chip, different peripheral chips, different memorymap to locate things. I do not believe they would have said that in the context of changing CPU architectures, and I won' t believe it now without a link to them saying it. Changing to Intel would be a large task. At this point I'd agree it to be worthwhile if they can afford to make it so.

Legal issues in doing this are related to their original license. As I read the contract, and I am neither a lawyer nor a judge, it looked to allow them from Amiga Inc's side, to port OS4 to other PowerPC platforms, which allow them to do what Eyetech actually sold as the AmigaOne instead of the failed Escena design, Pegasos2, and anything else that has a PPC.

X86 was never mentioned in there, so any legal permission to do so would depend on Hyperion winning ownership of OS4 based on insolvency of Amino/Amiga Washington clause, at should Hyperion win this then they could do whatever they could afford to do. Until then, at the broadest interpretation, they are limited to "anything" PowerPC no matter what they want to do.

Last edited by billt on 01-Apr-2009 at 03:40 PM.

choochy 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 15:32:35
#10 ]

@billt

No I think a Hardware Abstraction Layer is just that, but I could be wrong. :)

I agree with you on the rest. Will be good to see some movement once the legal battle is over.

clusteruk 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 15:35:24
#11 ]

Oh and I used to develop and sell Siamese System, so you may be surprised at what we do with Aros in the very near future. Siamese v2 anyone.

billt 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 15:38:52
#12 ]
Elite Member

@clusteruk

Quote:
my company write nothing but web apps which will run on any platform with a modern browser.

Can my iBookG4 with Firefox3 not use your Cloud products? Would OS4 be able to run your apps if it had Firefox3, Java, Flash, and other web feature support? Then we don't need x86, all we need is a modern browser and Java and Flash and whatever. PPC is not preventing me from doing those things in OS4, the lack of modern web feature support is preventing that. The CPU underneath the browser, JVM, flash player, etc. is irrelevant.

This is why those cheap Linux netbooks, some with ARM CPUs, are able to be marketable, and part of why ARM based smartphones are useful. I agree about hardware price, we must get into a realistic and competitive price situation if any Amiga-alike OS wants to grow beyond a few hundred or a thousand obsessive users like me. I've been seeking out possible solutions for a few years, investigating my own designs, trying to encourage Mac PPC ports, etc. There are reasons to go x86, but running web browser apps is not one of them because of the CPU irrelevance to doing that kind of thing.

clusteruk 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 15:45:40
#13 ]

@billt

I never said you cannot use your wonderful AmigaOS4, I have seen it and it is a joy.

BUT, i want fast modern hardware to run it, it cannot run on fast hardware, Aros is catching OS4 and next year will I believe pass it. Most people cannot afford £700 for a computer with a percieved unknown OS.

£500 sam 512mb ram 666mhz, £100 case, drive, dvd, £100 for OS.

Aros, £175 case, motherboard, drive, dvd and OS. Instant computer at 3ghz

Where is the future.

DaFreak 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 15:48:15
#14 ]

(deleted because of violence about "yet another x86 thread")

Last edited by DaFreak on 01-Apr-2009 at 03:50 PM.

clusteruk 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 15:51:47
#15 ]

@clusteruk

On top of this, I can build for the same money as Amiga OS4 on Sam £700

3.5ghz motherboard 2gb ram, case, drive, DVD £175
NVidia GeForce GTX 285 1GB £329.95

Total around £510, still got £190 change and have a super computer performance if Aros goes MultiCore

clusteruk 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 15:56:51
#16 ]

@Adminstrators

Message for Administrators, is this site purely for PPC and 68k based amiga subjects, or all Amiga flavours. If it is only PPC/68k I will shut up and leave you all in peace.

Last edited by clusteruk on 01-Apr-2009 at 03:57 PM.

itix 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 16:05:56
#17 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Quote:

X86 was never mentioned in there, so any legal permission to do so would depend on Hyperion winning ownership of OS4 based on insolvency of Amino/Amiga Washington clause, at should Hyperion win this then they could do whatever they could afford to do. Until then, at the broadest interpretation, they are limited to "anything" PowerPC no matter what they want to do.

I thought Amiga Inc have terminated OS4 license. Hence Pegasos and SAM versions (and maybe 4.1 release) are illegal unless Hyperion wins in the court.

clusteruk 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 16:11:02
#18 ]

@itix

I for one hope they win ownership of the product, as long as they push it further. There is room for all of us in this world.

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 16:17:51
#19 ]
Cult Member

@clusteruk

2001 is, IIRC, about 4 years before Jobs announced the CPU transition and 5 years before actual launch, and at that time even Apple users themeselves would've not see a single reason to switch to x86, so how could someone from outside Apple's world envision what would've happened years later?

On a side note i have a question: what are AROS webapps? On Icaros' site there's just a brief two-words very vague explanation. Are you talking about the ability to create shortcuts on the toolbar and have them opened in the browser? If that's the case i'd hardly call it "cloud computing".

Last edited by Nibunnoichi on 01-Apr-2009 at 04:19 PM.

clusteruk 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 16:24:30
#20 ]

@Nibunnoichi

As I mentioned I meant no disrespect to Hyperion, and your comments are correct how could they have known, although I was trying to take Amiga to x86 in 1999 with the PCI project. My point is that if a company as big as Apple can move and then grow at a large rate once they do then perhaps x86 is not a bad place to be after all.

I only want what is best for future Amiga owners. Existing ones already have cool computers. I still love my A1000 and A1200.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle