Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 109 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  5 mins ago
 Bugala:  25 mins ago
 Hypex:  41 mins ago
 Birbo:  44 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 14 mins ago
 Dragster:  3 hrs 25 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  4 hrs 21 mins ago
 matthey:  6 hrs 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Market research for new PowerPC system
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
fairlanefastback 
Re: Market research for new PowerPC system
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 16:54:05
#81 ]
Team Member

@Crumb

Quote:

Crumb wrote:

AmigaOS4 boots on Mac Mini G4, if Hyperion doesn't make an official release then you should complain to them and Amiga Inc. In the meanwhile enjoy their dongle hardware with no L2 cache. The situation is quite funny now, with everyone involved on OS4 fighting between them (Amiga Inc screwed Eyetech, Amiga Inc is fighting with Hyperion and some OS4 coders are suing Hyperion because they aren't being paid)

I just want to make sure everyone is aware that Rogue has expressed that the Mac Mini version of AOS 4.0 is illegal software. He has expressed to aw.net that there are no plans to release it as an official version at all. So its best no one gets their hopes up. Of course, Crumb makes a good point. If you still want it, as a customer let Hyperion know. Just don't expect a happy answer on that.

Amiga 1200

Profile     Report this post  
fairlanefastback 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 16:58:13
#82 ]
Team Member

@Leo

Quote:

Leo wrote:
Quote:

There is no Amiga Operating System for Mac Mini in stock and won't be.

Of course there is one: MorphOS.

Lets not take cheap potshots here. If you fully quoted him it would be obvious he mentioned MorphOS in his original post as an upcoming OS for the PowerPC MacMini platform.

Amiga 1200

eXec.pl 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 17:00:00
#83 ]

@Tomppeli

Troll is so awful word. He is probably very young man and has problems with basics. Someone needs to explain to him.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 17:09:05
#84 ]
Team Member

@eXec.pl

Quote:

eXec.pl wrote:
@Tomppeli

Troll is so awful word. He is probably very young man and has problems with basics. Someone needs to explain to him.

Leo actually seems to be decently versed. His general position (IMO) is he is just being more realistic and to the point. Others see that as him being overly anti the AOS platform and so they often perceive his posts as trolling. In what I have observed and IMO the truth may lie in between (generally at least), some of the disagreements seem over semantics, some seem over people having different goals for the platform (hobby vs. mainstream aspirations).

Anyway. This thread is not about Leo. I say the above to hopefully nip going in that direction in the bud. In the case of his response to you I've asked him to not take what I see as a pot shot any further. Lets all keep this civil and not start trying to discuss people's maturity levels and the like. If anyone sees anything they think is getting personal report it and staff will take a look at it.

We have a guest on our site trying to offer us a possible new platform. Lets all try to put our best foot forward please.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 25-Sep-2009 at 05:10 PM.

Amiga 1200

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 17:55:58
#85 ]
Elite Member

@feanor

I love to have some thing more powerful, but I only buy it if you get Hyperion to port AmigaOS4.1 or maybe 4.2 to it.

Have you done some thing like this before?
If not I think your changes of success is about 1 out of 10.

feanor 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 19:22:58
#86 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

No. I haven't. But bPlan have. I'll post later some stats so far (should be interesting to see) on my blog, which should make the trends more clear.

billt 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 21:32:13
#87 ]
Elite Member

@feanor

Quote:
Whatever the CPU used it will contain things that are now *standard* in the PC/Mac world (well, now with the release of the first USB 3.0 controller chips) it might *just* be possible to manage to squeeze one in the specs. If the companies (NEC for one) even consider to speak with us.

Chat them up and find out. I've had Freescale, etoolsmiths, EMA design, and a few PCB fab reps in my home dining room talking about stuff. I've been to Avnet a number of times to talk with PLX Tech reps. The only company I've failed to get any communication at all with so far is NVidia. Don't even waste your time there. But anyone else, call them up and see what happens. I'm currently playing with something from AMD.

P.S. When talking to chip companies, don't say the "A-word". (Amiga) They won't take you seriously anymore if you do. Perhaps same for Haiku, MorphOS etc. but I've never tried. I just talk about Linux and they seem to be pretty accepting.

Last edited by billt on 25-Sep-2009 at 09:39 PM.

billt 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 21:41:18
#88 ]
Elite Member

@feanor

Quote:
I'll post later some stats so far (should be interesting to see) on my blog, which should make the trends more clear.

Link to blog?

billt 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 21:43:51
#89 ]
Elite Member

@minator

Quote:
Does it have to be a Freescale CPU? This 1.6GHz chip was just announced.

Is this what AMCC refer to as Titan for some time now?

DiskDoctor 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 21:51:53
#90 ]
Cult Member

@feanor

Hi, dude

Just my own perspective...

You want to break through, right?

Just propose a PPC board running some Linux/Haiku if You wish. Then or even before, sell it in bunches to the industry. Industry seems yet undecided to PPC boards. Define the specs. Project the price. Find the fat guy. Make an offer.

Then the price might get rational, call it. Then shift to Amiga, Hyperion or MOSTeam, actually you might have enough funds at the time to sponsor the either port if you're lucky and do not fail in maths.

First things first as they say. Just the opinion but please look 10 yrs backwards. And please learn from it for the sake.

Last edited by DiskDoctor on 25-Sep-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Last edited by DiskDoctor on 25-Sep-2009 at 09:52 PM.

feanor 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 22:08:43
#91 ]

@DiskDoctor

I'm not sure what you mean by "break through", I take it you mean "make something extraordinary". If that's the case, then not really. I just want to do what I think others should have done and I want to sell something that *I* would buy instantly. I don't think I am the sole PowerPC geek on the planet that would be ecstatic at a new 8610 motherboard running his favourite OS.

In all I agree with you, but not totally in regards to targeting industry. Industry will be less probable to buy from a small company, but instead will opt for well-established players like Freescale themselves, or Mercury or Fixstars, or any other. Also the industrial motherboards are *at least* 2-3x more expensive than the max price I am considering for my board. Ever saw a price for a VME/CompactPCI PowerPC board? Even the CPUs are more expensive as they have to have special extreme temperatures rating, which again, increases the price substantially.

I don't think it's doable, thanks for the suggestion, but if I would target the industrial sector, it would probably be much harder for me to make money out of it.

As for the 10yrs backwards look. Seriously, what advice would you give on that? What should I not do?

Konstantinos

corto 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 22:18:24
#92 ]

@feanor

I wrote you because I think such a board will be great. And if I have to call myself a PPC geek ... I accept !

I wonder how long it would be to prepare the project, design the board, test it, produce it, ...

A new board, even with a MPC8610, would rock : imagine that we are satisfied with our Pegasos and AmigaOne boards that started to be out 7 years ago. OS4 runs quite fast on my MicroAone with a G3 for a common usage.

I hope this project will be a success for all of us.

feanor 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 23:06:39
#93 ]

@corto

Quote:

corto wrote:
I wonder how long it would be to prepare the project, design the board, test it, produce it, ...

Assuming that we started NOW, it would take at least 4 months to have prototypes and probably 2-3 more months for the first production run to be completed. But I'm waiting till the end of October to finish this research. Then it will be decided if the project will go through and the specs will be finalized. And then we'll work on the software side while waiting for the boards to be delivered.

Quote:

I hope this project will be a success for all of us.

I hope so too, you can be sure that it would also be MY main system as well!!

gregthecanuck 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 23:13:58
#94 ]
Cult Member

@feanor

You may be better off taking a reference board and getting it working first to remove any driver issues/obstacles.

I don't know exactly how must work there is on the software side, but I suspect that may be a bigger hurdle than getting the hardware going based on prior OS4 history.

Just a suggestion, FWIW

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 23:24:38
#95 ]

@feanor

Quote:

feanor wrote:

As for the 10yrs backwards look. Seriously, what advice would you give on that? What should I not do?

Do NOT count solely on hobbyist market.

The above translates:

Do NOT follow the route of Eyetech and look what ACube is doing.

feanor 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 23:32:29
#96 ]

@gregthecanuck

Quote:

gregthecanuck wrote:
@feanor

You may be better off taking a reference board and getting it working first to remove any driver issues/obstacles.

I don't know exactly how must work there is on the software side, but I suspect that may be a bigger hurdle than getting the hardware going based on prior OS4 history.

Just a suggestion, FWIW

Oh you meant about the OS4 port. Well, I'm not the one to do the port anyway, Hyperion would probably do that, if there was an agreement. I'd have my hands full with Linux/Haiku stuff anyway.

Hans 
Posted on 26-Sep-2009 1:06:25
#97 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
@Hans

What your Turion does is rather irrelevant. A 8610 board (NEC redtail) has been demoed to replay full hd video content.
There was also the hd demo on the mac Mini running MorphOS, but this test was a bit cheaty (the hd video was decoded in real time, but it was downscaled to the actual video resolution tat was less than the full hd resolution (it was rojected on a generic beamer...)).

Unless you have tests that you can confirm is on 1080i H.264 AVC video ("Full HD" does NOT mean 1080i to everyone), with no frame-skipping, no audio skipping, and no downsampled output, then "pooh poohing" my turion 64 comment is a bad idea. Yes, it's a different processor (and no Hammer, lack of SSE128 isn't a deciding factor here, especially when we're talking about G4 PowerPCs), but the complexity of the decoding is the same in both situations. Don't expect a 1.5 GHz PowerPC G4 to perform miracles.

My turion 64 can just play 1080i in DIVX format, depending on the encoding/quality settings (barely though, since the audio goes out of sync with the slightest problem). However, it can't play videos from my video camera which are in 1080i H.264 AVC format. This is using "highly optimised" codecs. H.264 AVC is what commercial HD content is typically in.

So, what was the codec in these tests? Can you confirm the details?

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 26-Sep-2009 at 02:11 AM.

feanor 
Posted on 26-Sep-2009 9:07:44
#98 ]

@billt

Quote:

Link to blog?

http://www.codex.gr/index.php?pageID=&blogItem=60

moood 
Posted on 26-Sep-2009 9:15:41
#99 ]

@Hans

Quote:

With some help from Google i found this thread on the Power Developer forum:
http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1383&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

I found a link in this thread to a Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BT1299hgI0

Hans 
Posted on 26-Sep-2009 10:26:19
#100 ]
Elite Member

@moood

Quote:

moood wrote:
@Hans

Quote:

With some help from Google i found this thread on the Power Developer forum:
http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1383&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

I found a link in this thread to a Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BT1299hgI0

Thanks for that. Seeing as the demo was with a DIVX file, I doubt that is could play 1080 HD H.264 AVC.

Hans

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle