Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 105 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pavlor

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pavlor:  1 min ago
 matthey:  36 mins ago
 Seiya:  57 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 Maijestro:  2 hrs 17 mins ago
 Rassilon:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  The WarpDT datatypes are actually more fast than OS's?
Register To Post

PosterThread
Templario 
The WarpDT datatypes are actually more fast than OS's?
Posted on 22-Nov-2009 12:04:11
#1 ]
Elite Member

I want know if the WarpDT are faster and goods than OS 4.x datypes or OS 3.9, because I have thought in to installed in my Sam but if they aren't so good and I have laziness in install and uninstall these shareware dataypes, any suggestion or information from someone that use them?

Thanks.

Profile     Report this post  
kas1e 
Re: The WarpDT datatypes are actually more fast than OS's?
Posted on 22-Nov-2009 12:12:43
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Templario

can't said about warpDT os4 version VS original os4 datatypes, but can said, that on os3.x i always use only WarpDT for all the usable kind of graphics, becouse they elegant, fast and with good and logical options. I can say only that on 060-66mhz it was pretty fast. Not sure than on machines more than 100mhz you will see any differences related to datatype depacking mechanisms.. But still, i prefer WarpDT on classic (on os4 have all the crap which have os4 by default and the same for mos/aros).

As for positive example, i use WarpDT for making from 32bit pictures, 16bit ones, with good FloydSt algorithm (best one). WarpDT allow to you control the quality of dithering image , and if you for example do not want (or can't) write your own dithering algo for making 16bit images looks like 32bit images: then warpDT + grab from screen data after warpDT will dither it (some tricky stuff by WarpDT :) )

Last edited by kas1e on 22-Nov-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Last edited by kas1e on 22-Nov-2009 at 12:12 PM.

Templario 
Posted on 22-Nov-2009 12:23:48
#3 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Thak you for your information, but in OS3.x I used WinUAE and few to see pictures; and on OS 4.1 well I like know about them.

Futaura 
Posted on 22-Nov-2009 12:40:29
#4 ]

@Templario

Bear in mind that the OS4 datatypes are based on the WarpDT sources . Some others have been touching the OS4 datatype sources lately, but there's not a lot of difference between them speed-wise. As has been mentioned, the WarpDTs benefit because they have more options available and I can guarantee the latest versions are as fast or faster than the OS4 datatypes .

kas1e 
Posted on 22-Nov-2009 12:53:30
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Futaura

Did you one of the os4 developers then ?:) I mean all that latest changes which you done lately in WarpDT are done also in the os4 datatypes ? And about that string: "Added workaround for a bug in OS4's datatypes.library DTST_MEMORY handling." That mean that even the upcoming update will have that bug, or it will be fixed ? (i just ask that, becouse i think that you are os4 developer too).

Also i read "Enabled virtual memory usage in OS4 version." phrase in the latest updates of WarpDT, and that sounds very interesting to me. What advantaged that give end users ? Did it mean that now WarpDT can't crash the kernel, or that mean nothink in terms of usability / end user stability. If you can, please explain some technical details about :)

Last edited by kas1e on 22-Nov-2009 at 12:55 PM.

Futaura 
Posted on 22-Nov-2009 14:39:16
#6 ]

@kas1e

Quote:

kas1e wrote:
@Futaura

Did you one of the os4 developers then ?:) I mean all that latest changes which you done lately in WarpDT are done also in the os4 datatypes ? And about that string: "Added workaround for a bug in OS4's datatypes.library DTST_MEMORY handling." That mean that even the upcoming update will have that bug, or it will be fixed ? (i just ask that, becouse i think that you are os4 developer too).

Yes, I am involved with OS4 development, although not so much lately it has to be said. I fixed the bug in datatypes.library in v53.4. I'm not really up to speed when it comes to public updates, so I'm not sure what is part of it. Since I have not released updates to the WarpDTs for a while, it so happened that I'd applied some fixes and improvements which I had transferred to the OS4 datatype sources but had not actually built/released corresponding updates to the WarpDTs (mainly because my build environment was on my old A1200T, which I don't really use anymore, but now I've sorted out the WarpDT build environment on my A1 so that I can build all cpu flavours using my A1). And, yes, all updates that I've made in the WarpDTs in the past have made it into the OS4 datatypes too, although I can't guarantee this will be the case in the future.

Quote:
Also i read "Enabled virtual memory usage in OS4 version." phrase in the latest updates of WarpDT, and that sounds very interesting to me. What advantaged that give end users ? Did it mean that now WarpDT can't crash the kernel, or that mean nothink in terms of usability / end user stability. If you can, please explain some technical details about :)

Basically, memory used internally by the WarpDTs is now using MEMF_PRIVATE memory, which means the kernel can choose to page the memory out to disk should it need to. In practice, it's probably not going to get paged out normally since the WarpDTs are very efficient on their memory usage, but it may come in to play with large progressive JPEG or interlaced PNG images where the datatype has to temporarily allocate memory for the entire image in order to build the image up and transfer it into the image bitmap (normally only enough memory to hold for a few rows of image data is necessary). So, for example, if you were to try to load a 4096x4096x24 progressive JPEG, picture.datatype would allocate a 4096x4096x32 bitmap (depending on screenmode) which would need 64Mb ram, and WarpJPEG.datatype would also need to allocate 48Mb ram to use while decoding the image data. If you don't have enough physical free ram to cover this, then the kernel will be able to page out to disk the 48Mb used by WarpJPEG.datatype allowing the image to be decoded and displayed, which you wouldn't be able to do without virtual memory.

Templario 
Posted on 22-Nov-2009 18:31:49
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Futaura

Well, friend already I made the payment, I'll wait your keyfile and test and use your work besides to support it.

Dwyloc 
Posted on 24-Nov-2009 11:51:16
#8 ]

@Futaura
Thanks for the information and the resent update to the datatypes as a registered user I really appreciate it. I only registered after upgrading to OS4 even though I was a user of your data types for many years on my classic Amiga, as I did not have any easy way to pay for them back then.

So I registered more to say thank you for your past work, but its still nice to use them on my sam440ep.

@Templario
I am a happy user of the WarpDT types under OS4 and its nice to support continued development and as you say also have more control over how the datatypes are setup.

Edit: fix typo's

Last edited by Dwyloc on 14-Aug-2014 at 02:34 PM.

4MB Minimig with ARM addon boar

Templario 
Posted on 24-Nov-2009 18:14:26
#9 ]
Elite Member

@All

Tested and I'm very surprised I bough the key and I tested the WarpDT datatypes for OS 4.1 with my program Eye Viewer and the result was fantastic, fast show the pics, fast resize and show of them, a great and good surprise.

Thank you Futaura for your work.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle