Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 93 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  12 mins ago
 matthey:  18 mins ago
 Matt3k:  29 mins ago
 Kromjuice:  50 mins ago
 Kronos:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 Framiga:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 22 mins ago
 VooDoo:  3 hrs 59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  [Poll] IS the x1000 vaporware?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Poll : Is X1000 Vaporware by Wikipedias definition?
Yes
No

PosterThread
AmigaHeretic 
[Poll] IS the x1000 vaporware?
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 2:25:37
#1 ]

@Troels
Quote:

@_Steve_ Thanks! The topic is also (by wikipedia's defenition) wrong, could it please be changed? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

Did you read that link yourself before posting it??

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
it may imply that the announcer knows that product development is in too early a stage to support responsible statements about its completion date, feature set, or even feasibility.

Completion Date - Non existent

Feature Set - Not even known what CPU it is using

Feasibility - Not even known what price it will be.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
most vaporware would not be considered a hoax since the makers have a genuine intention to create their product, even if it ultimately never materializes.

I never said x1000 is a Hoax. I am saying, by Wikipedia's def it is Vaporware.

What do others think about the Wikipedia Def and the Announcement to (as Wikipedia puts it) give "unwarranted optimism"?

Profile     Report this post  
Rob 
Re: [Poll] IS the x1000 vaporware?
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 2:35:57
#2 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

In my opinion your posts are becoming boring and tedious.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 3:08:32
#3 ]

@AmigaHeretic

At least I see I have some support.

I feel like I'm being treated like a guy of the street. I've been here for a long time. I've defend Hyperion in the face of the Amiga Inc. lovers, I've tried to give helpful advice where technical questions were asked, and I tried to be funny when times were tough and tensions high....

I'm just saying something is smelling fishy...

Panthro 
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 3:09:46
#4 ]

OMG watch the cynics fly

Hyperion has the track record unlike Amiga inc
it would be reasonable to assume that trend to continue

I personally am guardedly optimistic

Last edited by Panthro on 19-Feb-2010 at 03:14 AM.

Hans 
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 3:27:50
#5 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

Give it a rest man.

Hans

P.S. IIRC, they said "before summer," so there is a vague completion date.

sundown 
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 3:30:13
#6 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

You seem to think a company can just order & receive parts any time they want. Well, it doesn't work that way. In the case of a new cpu, a company that orders 100K or more gets theirs first, as the quantity of the orders goes down, you get put on a list & wait your turn. If that first company puts in a another 100K order, you get bumped, money before beauty. Thats just the way it goes, I know, I was a component engineer for a medical company. Parts went obsolete every month & it was tough finding a seller with the parts we needed to fill our needs, with hundreds of other companies doing the same.

Give it a rest, I'm sure when the cpu's come in, we know about it.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 4:33:45
#7 ]

@AmigaHeretic,

This single statement on your provided link states,

"when the release date is delayed repeatedly without adequate evidence of specific unforeseen hurdles that cause these delays."

because of just one line you are wrong again. Nice try. Troll along.

Chris

ReverseGTR 
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 4:46:58
#8 ]

@sundown

Of course Hyperion's supplier for the x1000 is hoping utilize the PWRficient which may have a long waiting of at least 70k from Apple to the DoD and then who knows afterward. Do you see any existing PPC CPUs (not counting the CELL BE, Xenon or 750GX CPU in the Wii) in high demand? Even more widely adopted ones such as the 970 are ending their life cycle as the YDL Powerstation is no longer assembled under Fixstar.

Even with oodles of optimism do you think they will ship anything "before summer" without a single peep from now to just prior?

Troels 
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 5:39:42
#9 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic
Yes unlike you I read all of the site (even the part where Amiga IS mentioned) and don't find that the coming X1000 is vaporware .

You got a deadline. Product will be up for sale in summer 2010, while it may not be an exact date it's certainly pretty solid compared to the projects size.
You also got the full feature set apart from the CPU which will be announced later.
You were also told that Hyperion already have the board, so it's not some non existant product.
You even know that the forthcoming Amiga Future will have more information but still continues your ridiculous war against vapour.

The only thing smelling fishy here is your agenda and I hope people will now IGNORE your future posts on the subject.

Quote:
Vaporware describes a product, usually software, that has been announced by a developer during or before its development, if there is significant doubt whether the product will actually be released.[1]
I don't see any significant doubt, it's not even delayed yet.
Quote:
The term is usually applied to products which fail to emerge after having well-exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product, or when the release date is delayed repeatedly without adequate evidence of specific unforeseen hurdles that cause these delays.
I repeat, it's not delayed yet

QuikSanz 
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 6:05:46
#10 ]

@ReverseGTR,

Just prior to summer will be in three months. a little ahead of yourself? Time is not flying in your case.

OS4 is being run already on this nonexistent CPU since after the Linux SGrab of them trying to push it beyond 20Watts.

Yes folks, another naysayer.

Chris

PS: Wana put some money on it?

Gebrochen 
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 6:32:53
#11 ]

@AmigaHeretic

Well if it is'nt the heretic guy, who happens to be the biggest Amiga critic these days, oh, ok, Hence AmigaHeretic.

You heresy seems to become boreing to people after a while.

Cheers

P.S. None of us really know if it is a hoax or not, BUT, now that there may be an interview regarding the motherboard, it means that your posting is out of date until we have recieved and read the interview from issue 83.

AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com

ReverseGTR 
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 6:36:47
#12 ]

@QuikSanz

Three months may seem long to you but not when it comes to engineering, debugging and then creating the drivers needed for what clearly brand spanking new hardware for OS4.2 or whichever version will be released along with it. Also like sundown said it may take awhile until enough of those parts are delivered to ramp up production and ultimately retail so I wouldn't hold my breath on a completely solid release date.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by OS4 already running on it? Maybe we should set up a bounty based bet scheme on it so once the product is released there will be enough raised to deliver the X1000 to certain developers or make it a raffle contest.

KimmoK 
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 6:40:01
#13 ]
Elite Member

IMO:

"Completion Date"
- we have the rough deadline of product deliveries
(it would be nice to know more details of it's maturity, though)

"Feature Set - Not even known what CPU it is using"
- The CPU "name" is pretty much the main thing that we do not know for sure yet.
(but only PA6T match the specs)

"Feasibility - Not even known what price it will be."
- the price they could have stated better, without giving out anyting too much, the price range seems to me 1300...2500¤

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Antique 
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 6:49:35
#14 ]
Cult Member

@ReverseGTR

If you've read the various threads,it's gonna ship with 4.1

@AmigaHeretic

What's wrong with you really? You're getting everyone ####ed at you,and you know the reason. And i bet thats just what you're after. Why not just watch the olympcs instead?

QuikSanz 
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 6:50:04
#15 ]

@ReverseGTR,

HyperionMP stated on this web site that it is. I presume in a limited fashion as things are optimized.

There is a picture of it, so what they did not want to release the chosen processor yet.

there is no reason why the OS cannot be optimised with the given 6 month leed.

Chris

ReverseGTR 
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 6:54:46
#16 ]

@QuikSanz

All I saw was the picture of some generic motherboard with an empty CPU socket, I never really bothered to run a comparison with other pics on the web or look at the socket count so I don't know whether it is indeed the X1000's but I still have some doubts.

As for if OS4, which we all know is very platform intensive, can be optimized for it in 6 months, all I can say is maybe and only maybe if they got all the parts in order. Now I am just going into pure speculation so I will leave this topic be and take your word in looking up on other information on the X1000.

COBRA 
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 8:51:48
#17 ]

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
Completion Date - Non existent

Wrong - it's been announced for summer 2010

Quote:
Feature Set - Not even known what CPU it is using

Wrong again, the following feature set was announced:
ATX Formfactor
CPU: Dual-core PowerISA v2.04+ CPU
Co-processor: "Xena" XMOS XS1-L1 128 SDS
Audio: 7.1 channel HD audio
Memory: 4× DDR2 SDRAM slots
10× USB 2.0
1× Gigabit Ethernet
2× PCIe x16 slots (1x16 or 2x8)
2× PCIe x1 slots
1× Xorro slot (gives access to "Xena")
2× PCI legacy slots
2× RS-232
4× SATA 2 connectors
1× IDE connector
JTAG connector
1× Compact Flash

You can't argue that this does not qualify as a feature set, and the CPU is also given, it's a dual-core PowerISA v2.04+ CPU.

Quote:
Feasibility - Not even known what price it will be.

The price was said to be a bit below the original A1000 pricing, so even if exact price hasn't been posted, we have information about it and btw feasibility has nothing to do with it.

So as far as this definition goes, the X1000 is not vapourware. But even if there was a definition on the net, by which it can be considered vapourware, what difference would it make? Would that make you happier? Get a life.. really...

Flashlab 
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 8:52:48
#18 ]

@AmigaHeretic

What's the deal here really? Do you want people to vote for you in American Idol for best rant of 2010? Or is this some new age stand-up comedian act? Or could this the new Oregon gangsta style from tha hood?

Anyhow, you've had your 15 minutes of fame and now please leave the stage. I have a tomato here that I prefer to eat.

Last edited by Flashlab on 19-Feb-2010 at 08:53 AM.

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Temporarily offline...

KimmoK 
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 9:25:37
#19 ]
Elite Member

@ReverseGTR

"All I saw was the picture of some generic motherboard"

No, it's not a generic motherboard. It's a custom board with A-EON signature on it.

" with an empty CPU socket,"

It's not an empty CPU socket.
There is a CPU (SoC, light grey top) soldered on the board, without heat sink.
(there's drill holes for the heat sink)

" I never really bothered to run a comparison with other pics on the web or look at the socket count so I don't know whether it is indeed the X1000's but I still have some doubts."

I have not found identical board. I'm sure there is none.
A lot of boards have similaritiies, because there's standard locations for a lot of components of a motherboard.

"As for if OS4, which we all know is very platform intensive, can be optimized for it in 6 months, all I can say is maybe and only maybe if they got all the parts in order."

I think AOS4 team could have prepared for the CPU for a longer time, by using developer boards from Freescale & Co.
I'm sure it takes time before all x1000 features are fully used. I'm pretty sure we do not see 3D accelerated HD Radeon as the initial GFX card (example).

(I read inbetween the lines that the HW is not yet 100% perfect for volume production, so, it's not only AOS4 and drivers that need work.
And I really, really hope that the CPU is secured & available, but because it's under NDA, it leaves the matter open for speculation.)

Update some of the known details (IMO):
XENA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XCore_XS1-L1
SouthBridge: ATI SB600
And I bet Xilink handles the connection to Xena.
And I bet Xilink&Xena can be seen in the "address space" of the PCI bus of the SouthBridge.
And the CPU is about identical with the PA6T (perhaps it's it).
Speculation can be fun.

Last edited by KimmoK on 19-Feb-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 19-Feb-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 19-Feb-2010 at 09:36 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Anonymous 
Posted on 19-Feb-2010 10:14:08
# ]

@AmigaHeretic

EDIT: no point in asking the question. Here's what I think:

1. It's all very well saying "don't pre-announce something until you know every detail" but you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

People wanted an OS 4 roadmap and we deserved to have one. You can't have a roadmap without some product plans in it.

2. Roadmaps and product releases are never set in stone. It's natural to feel like this because of past events, but nobody has any control over that either. You can only look at the individuals and statements and decide for yourself how likely it is to happen.

Hyperion would not cause a splash like they did without a greater degree of certainty than Troika or ACK had. That would be incredibly foolhardy, and considering the way they've managed their statements in the past, I just don't believe that.

3. I asked for some more clues about the MAP some time ago. A very similar question to what you are asking - why can't they say *why* they can't say more. I never got a reply either.

When the product announcement came it was hardly low-key. This is the way Hyperion work. There's certain things I'd like them to be more open about - like many of the new breed of software start-ups who use blogs, bug tracking or social media as a part of their general business. It doesn't bother me too much though as this can sometimes be a hollow marketing exercise anyway.

I can understand holding things back from the community though - it's that damned if you do, damned if you don't thing again. Whatever they do, they're going to get analysed and flamed for it.

I like the debate myself - I don't want vacuous dancing banana pseudo-religious cult type threads all over the place. But it does mean people like Hyperion have to be careful with their statements.

4. Bottom line - if you have any reason to suspect that they're lying, misleading or not trying their best, then moan about it. Otherwise, what is the point?? These people are trying to deliver on stuff and you're knocking them because you want to know the exact brand of CPU.

So hold your tongue and if it doesn't happen, I'm sure you have everyone's permission to say "I told you so".

Chris

Last edited by clebin on 19-Feb-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Last edited by clebin on 19-Feb-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Last edited by clebin on 19-Feb-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Report this post  
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle