Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 81 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

number6,  logicalheart

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 logicalheart:  14 secs ago
 number6:  4 mins ago
 Lou:  10 mins ago
 billt:  16 mins ago
 matthey:  20 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 Dragster:  2 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  MorphOS on the fastest ppc consumer computer ever!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Fab 
Re: MorphOS on the fastest ppc consumer computer ever!
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 14:16:42
#81 ]

@afxgroup

Quote:

did you ever use OSX on a G5?
It has never played an SWF with Adobe player and optimized video drivers with a decend speed.. and also with my Geforce Ultra.. so don't expect too much..

Well, I 'd expect at least a good 100% speedup compared to a mac mini, or more, given the 3 times faster memory bus. And since MorphOS isn't as crippled as OSX regarding display speed, I think 1080p H264 should be doable on such a machine. Now, whether it's worth having a monster machine to achieve that or not is another question. :)

Regarding Flash, it's not a big issue if it's still not fast enough, because there are other ways to speed it up first, and HTML5 just replaces it on the sites where Flash is too slow, anyway (youtube, dailymotion, vimeo and several other sites).

Quote:

Just a little question.. why a lot of developers use SDL for the games if it is so crappy?
IMHO it is very useless to change SDL to use MUI for a game just because we can say "wow! it use mui!"
but this is a developer taste of course.. but on linux platforms i don't see so many games that use QT or GTK for the gui.

It really depends on the games. I don't say it's always crappy.

Like I posted above, I even ported some SDL games too, the ones that I found interesting to play. But like itix said, you also find many pointless, unfinished or unstable games, and i have no problem qualifying them as crappy (and i have a hard time including them in a software database count).

But for some emulators/games, it also makes sense to remove SDL and implement native rendering, when speed is an issue. That was the case for MAME, for instance.

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 14:20:35
# ]

@afxgroup

Quote:
did you ever use OSX on a G5?
It has never played an SWF with Adobe player and optimized video drivers with a decend speed.. and also with my Geforce Ultra.. so don't expect too much..

Why quote the Mac Flash Player as a guide? It's famously slow, and doesn't have any kind of GPU acceleration, so your Geforce Ultra is redundant... MorphOS would run at a blistering pace on your G5!

Chris

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 14:27:07
# ]

The SDL homepage says that it's used for the Linux port of Civilization: Call To Power. I don't think much more needs to be said.

SDL is just a tool. It's the quality of programmers and artists that determine how good the game is.

If it wasn't for things like SDL, alternative platforms wouldn't have any games, so I'm surprised we're even debating it!

Chris

Last edited by clebin on 26-Jul-2010 at 02:27 PM.

Report this post  
Zylesea 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 14:27:14
#84 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@Zylesea

Quote:
MorphOS on the fastest ppc consumer computer ever!

Some corrections:
This Power Mac has only 970FX CPU. 970MP in the last Power Mac G5 generation is faster (even on lower clock speed) in most tasks (and there is configuration with 2 CPUs = 4 cores...).

970FX is more power efficient developement of original 970 using a 90 nm manufacturing process. 970MP has bigger L2 cache per core (1 MB).
We can compare their SPEC CPU2000 results:

970 2200 MHz (in IBM eServer BladeCenter JS20)
SpecInt2000 - 1040 (... 1276 at 2700 MHz)
SpecFp2000 - 1241 (... 1523 at 2700 MHz)

970MP 2500 MHz (IBM BladeCenter JS21)
SpecInt2000 - 1587
SpecFp2000 - 2119

PA6T 2000 MHz could score (according to PA Semi) more than 1000 SpecInt2000 and 1500-2000 SpecFp2000 (... 900, respective 1350-1800 at 1800 MHz).

Taking into account that this PowerMac can´t use PCIe GFX cards, I wouldn´t call it "fastest ppc consumer computer ever". Yes, it is fast computer with nice price (if you can find it somewhere). However, there are other - less loud and less power demanding - alternatives with nearly the same (or even better) performance...

Well, I am *very* curious for benchmarks of the X1000. From what I 've seen in Essen it looked nice so far, but the Q2 demo suggetsed thet the performance per MHz is rather at eteh performance of the G4. Okay that was for a cpu intensive test. On a benchmark that uses the overall throuput more intensive the X1000 hopefully performs better. Plus, the X1000 as shown in Essen has teh benefit of being still highly beta and (hopefully) having a lot of room for increasemnts (speeds and *stabilty*) till release.

If I need to bet which on ewill be fatser, I'd put my coins to the G5 insted of the X1000. But The X1000 will probably have one big advantage: It'll offer a better electric power/computing power ratio. Low wattage *is* a nice plus. But we will have to wait for a reliable overall wattage measurements of the X1000 till release.

The PowerMac G5 are interesting for very demanding tasks, for eveyday usage I'll prefer a lightweight like my Mac mini or the Efika and am looking forward in particular for the Powerbook.

Kronos 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 14:29:04
#85 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Ah that urban-legend again ..

The price for a "Teron developer/evaluation system" was 3000$, but that included full technical support (and was only true when bought in single quantity).

The actual price for batch of Terons was around 300$ + CPU, which would have resulted in street prices around 500$.

@DAX

If you want to really race up with competions, buying a sportscar is the smallest investment.....

Making it fit for racing starting-fees, keeping a service-crew ready, trsnsports etc is where the real money is burned.

The even made a reality show out of some rich kid burning the cash left for him by his father in trying (and failing) to win the 24h race at the Nürburgring with a modified Aston.

Far more then 200k spend, lots of employees and sponsors, but ultimately not a real buisness.

There was a preceding Teron model for every Eyetech-A1, there were some claims that the TeronMini (aka MikroA1) was designed with special thought to Eyetech, but thats as far as it went (and that surely wasn't the case for the TeronCX and PX which were rebranded to A1-SE and XE).

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 14:30:58
# ]

@Zylesea

Quote:

The X1000 will probably have one big advantage: It'll offer a better electric power/computing power ratio. Low wattage *is* a nice plus. But we will have to wait for a reliable overall wattage measurements of the X1000 till release.

Indeed, included in that is the gift of quietness, which you certainly don't get with a G5.

Chris

Report this post  
pavlor 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 14:31:06
#87 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Quote:
The actual price for batch of Terons was around 300$ + CPU, which would have resulted in street prices around 500$.

Source?

I think price I wrote was not for single unit...

DAX 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 14:34:59
#88 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos
Man we don't have to make lofty examples here, I can open a grocery store and sell products to customers and I'am "commercial", you can spend billions on your hobby and it will be just a hobby.

Aeon-Hyperion make commercial products with full manufacturer warranty and sell them to customers for money, they do not invest like your racing guy and they invest more than the grocery store but that is not the point. They are still a commercial venture whose only purpose is to make and sell under warranty brand new products to consumers.

Last edited by DAX on 26-Jul-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Kronos 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 14:43:56
#89 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

The price you quoted was on MAI's webpage (maybe you can still find it in wayback) and it was clearly marked as a "developer/evaluation PACKAGE". They even had a sentence about "ask us for pricing for more then 1 unit" on the page.

The 300$ was a quote that "Seehund" got back in 2003 (??).

@DAX
"full-warranty" ? Wasn't the SW for the SAM still considered "beta" until recently ? Where is the full tech-support one would expect (and no other users guessing on forums does not qualify) ? Isn't one of the conditions for the X1000-beta programm accepting that your are NOT buying an enduser product ?

"Buisness" for me means that the people involved get a reasonable return per hour invested and that this money is generated by sales of the produced goods. Crossfinancing is o.k. for starting things up, but it's soon gonna be 9 years.....

Zylesea 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 14:45:40
#90 ]
Elite Member

@DAX

Ralph Schmidt Software Development is commercial by defintion, too. Nevertheless the MorphOS-Team doesn't do MorphOS for a living, but primarily for the fun. I guess Trevor doesn't rely on A-eon for a living, too, but more for the fun and probably hopes for a black null (as he suggested in the interview).
At least in Germany you would get trouble with the office of finances here if you stared a business and actually wouldn't pursue to gain profit.
So by definition it is all business (morphOS, Hyperion, A-Eon), by the personal attitude and looking closer to it the hobby charackter is stronger I'd say. I'd say the OS4 guys still try to keep that imagination of being serious companies. But look to the market, this is not serious - in the way that actually *noone* in Amigaland can make a living from the Amiga related activities since years.
It is all spare time projects.

Gleng 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 14:47:09
#91 ]

@clebin

I think SDL was used for the Linux version of Neverwinter NIghts too.

DAX 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 14:49:55
#92 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos
Sam is under warranty, and with AOS I get a ton of free upgrades, so yeah full warranty (also the X1000 final retail product will have full warranty).

Hyperion/Aeon are starting on their own now, what 9 years are you talking about?

Last edited by DAX on 26-Jul-2010 at 02:57 PM.

DAX 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 14:52:15
#93 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea
Warren Buffett doesn't solely rely on any of its hundreds of businesses and yet all of them are commercial.
The fact that you run a portfolio of different business doesn't make any of them any less commercial.

afxgroup 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 14:54:27
#94 ]

@itix

Quote:

There is nothing wrong in SDL per se just many games using SDL are low quality and buggy.

And so? there are a lot of programs that use MUI/Reaction/QT/GTK that are low quality and buggy.. sorry but i really didn't get the point when someone tells that if a game is of low quality the guilty are the SDL..

Zylesea 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 15:01:10
#95 ]
Elite Member

@DAX

Warren Buffet would definitely not pursue any of his businesses taht don't give him a sufficient return of invested resources (time, money).
I don't know how cheap you sell your time, but mine would be too expensive to rat eanything Amiga related as a good investement (If I did it for commercial purpose).
Anyway, as said. Per definition it as all commercial as soon as you offer something to buy.

pavlor 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 15:16:13
#96 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

I found it!

2002/2003:
Teron CX/PX motherboard for 3900 USD! (2-5 boards for 1*3900 + others*2340)

Source: web.archive.org

Now, I´m waiting for source supporting your statement...

Last edited by pavlor on 26-Jul-2010 at 03:18 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 15:17:20
# ]

@DAX

Quote:

Sam is under warranty, and with AOS I get a ton of free upgrades, so yeah full warranty (also the X1000 final retail product will have full warranty).

As long as the company stays in business... Not trying to troll - it's true.

It's worth supporting these companies, because that's the only way they will stay in business. Whatever the situation, you do have to decide how much extra cash that warranty is worth. I'd say less than the price of an identical replacement for your broken out-of-warranty Mac.

Chris

Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 15:19:07
#98 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

Wow. This really brings back some old issues. Years ago when the AmigaOne came out I did a survey for my Amiga club and asked them if the price of love was too high. That love was the A1, which continued the Amiga line and ran a new version of AmigaOS. Even though at the time the speed was close in comparison to a current PC and more so a Mac, with the price not that much more really, a few people said the price of love was too high.

The Amiga used to be for people on a budget and for the classic only users (of real machines) it still is. Like those who couldn't afford an 040 accelerator. Even after 10 years they still are expensive!

No so with the NG Amigas. I'm afraid to say it but this may just break my heart. My Amiga heart that is. As much as I'd like an X1000. the price started off the same as an A1000, but now it just seems to be getting high. If this is the new price of love, I don't know if I can pay it, this may just break me and the price of love may be too high.

I may have to convert to MorphOS. To get back OT. Here we have a G5 and sure it's 2nd hand implied (unless you bought one new already) so a damn lot cheaper than a new G5 machine.

It runs OSX. Ubuntu boots out of the box. MorphOS runs 68K and has an OS4 emulator. What more do I need? Should I be happy that the PC isn't threatening to take the place of my A1 for once!? I suppose I should be.

Gee guys, epsecially for us OS4 users, this may be a breaking point.

Hypex 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 15:25:25
#99 ]
Elite Member

@Gebrochen

Quote:
Im sick of it, people call it trolling the moment somebody has a difference in opinion in one of the Amiga or Amiga like os'es, and its quiet frankly bullshet.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Why are you getting upset. He was talking about MOS users? If you aren't a MOS user why so upset?

To
Quote:
from certain MOS users

Are you certain? You've got to be, you've got to be certain like Kylie.

Last edited by Hypex on 26-Jul-2010 at 03:39 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 15:33:20
#100 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
I may have to convert to MorphOS.

Heretic!

Only joking...

Last edited by pavlor on 26-Jul-2010 at 03:33 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle