Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 81 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

number6,  logicalheart

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 logicalheart:  24 secs ago
 number6:  4 mins ago
 Lou:  10 mins ago
 billt:  16 mins ago
 matthey:  21 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 Dragster:  2 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Open Letter to Commodore Usa by an old amigan.
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
BigBentheAussie 
Re: Open Letter to Commodore Usa by an old amigan.
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 16:22:42
#41 ]

@T-J

Quote:
This is where you confuse me. You say the door is totally open to them, but what does that mean, exactly?

That is for them to find out and you to speculate on.
Any kind of negotiations would be confidential.

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 18-Oct-2010 at 04:23 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
djrikki 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 16:35:50
#42 ]
Elite Member

@T-J

Smokes and mirrors T-J. Its a politician's answer. If C=USA were that serious about 'reviving the platform' then would have taken a plane to Belgium by now and invested some of their 'brewster's millions' in Hyperion.

Its quite clear they aren't that serious about reviving the 'platform' because a platform without an official OS doesn't make sense.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 16:44:23
#43 ]

@djrikki

Quote:
If C=USA were that serious about 'reviving the platform' then would have taken a plane to Belgium by now and invested some of their 'brewster's millions' in Hyperion.

hmm... is C=USA maybe some kind of a charity established for helping Hyperion?

Also note... I'm merely guessing here but I do suspect Amigas will launch with a custom linux OS. So that will be the new official platform OS.

Hypex 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 16:51:17
#44 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
Should we be building these from scratch in our garage to suit your sensibilities?

No that's what Apple would do.

Perhaps the point is they should be made in the Philippines like the original Amiga.

Last edited by Hypex on 18-Oct-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 16:56:11
#45 ]
Elite Member

@Manu

ACube make the Sam in Italy I read. Okay that's not the cheapest thing but I think the price is good for what it is. I like Italian girls.

Now, if only the Chinese would make a cheapo PowerPC knock off. They seem to be good at ripping off other people designs and making cheap clones. Why not a CPU? Best solution yet for cheap OS4 hardware!

Hypex 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 17:01:30
#46 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
So, both the retro market and the mainstream will be targeted.

But will it run the old games? When you read about the people who are interested in a new Amiga coming out and share their memories they are always asking if it will run the old games.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 17:08:34
#47 ]

@Hypex

Sure... numerous emulators abound. They could even mask it within the OS so that no one would ever notice any emulation.
Or they could sandbox aros68k(once it's done) for old 68k apps and games, or OS 3.1 if they got access to it.

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 18-Oct-2010 at 05:13 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 17:13:30
#48 ]
Elite Member

@DAX

Quote:
Once you have those in your hands, I don't think that slapping an intel x86 PC inside will be enough to make people believe it's an "Amiga", just because you had Ainc agreeing on you putting a logo on it (this is the REAL problem).

Now this I don't get. I'm an OS4 person and by being so I support PPC. Not just passively but actively. But half the Amiga market (just for example) wanted Amiga on x86 which we see done with UAE, Amithlon and now AROS. And this C=x86 Amiga is now causing an uproar? I just don't get it. More and more Amigans are converting to the Amiga x86 notion or are neutral to the idea. And x86 is forced on us more and more, drumming us down and down, even the die hards of old, the heros of renown, would use x86 now. Or be passive to the idea in the least. So why isn't this idea more welcome?

That said, DAX, I agree with you!

ruben 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 17:13:38
#49 ]

@Hypex

Anything can run old Amiga games these days.
But they could license Amiga roms and include emulation by default, perhaps simply make a deal with Cloanto and include a full version of AmigaForever.

kirka 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 17:18:25
#50 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Since when did you get the trademark? I thought you only had license to use the trademark under specific conditions.

Hypex 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 17:19:52
#51 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
that still remains to be seen... for an OS that lacks USB 2.0 support in 2010, that's a very large path to cross.

The only jusfication I can see for this is my LG DVD recorder I bought eariler this year which is still on sale. It only has a USB 1.1 port.

It also only has SD digital video but that's another story...

DAX 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 17:33:37
#52 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie
Wasn't it you saying "we're gonna make x86 stuff period"? They cannot bring their OS on x86 and will not lend you the AmigaOS trademark, but there are a lot of ways to make it work.
If you do have money to invest and good distribution channels, you can bring in manufacturing, advertisement and the aformentioned distribution channels. A-Eon and its HW partners can bring in the "bluprint" (which you can then manufacture anywhere) of the mobo and Hyperion can , of course, bring the original AmigaOS.
All in all you cannot tell me that a Commodore Amiga X500 running the official AmigaOS on a unique computer would not sell if done right.

@Hypex
In general Amiga should have something special about it, read my post #284
HERE that sounds good to me, it's a start that could lead to something even greater like an X2000 and also a cheaper X500.
Hey C=USA! Care to make these with them?

Last edited by DAX on 18-Oct-2010 at 05:34 PM.

damocles 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 18:18:09
#53 ]

@ruben

Quote:
But they could license Amiga roms and include emulation by default, perhaps simply make a deal with Cloanto and include a full version of AmigaForever.

Which will one day may not be needed thanks to the Power2People's Kickstart ROM replacement I & II.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 18:27:39
#54 ]

@DAX

By all means talk to them, but realise A-Eon seem to have nothing concrete to offer any investor at this time that I can see. When they have a working board that has passed beta testing then this may change, but one needs to proceed with caution when one considers that Alan from Eyetech said he would have been better off paying people not to buy the original A1s. New hardware is always a worry, and while Varisys may be a competent engineering firm, that doesn't mean they can be blindly trusted to come up with the goods. I wish them luck, but I'm not about to hold my breath about it. You might, that's your choice, feel free to spend millions. In the meantime we will proceed with our plans.

sundown 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 18:36:33
#55 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
I do suspect Amigas will launch with a custom linux OS. So that will be the new official platform OS.

Finally an admission that the so called "real" amiga is NOT a real amiga. Thank you so much for that clarification.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 18:39:44
#56 ]

@sundown

Remains to be seen just what they will launch when they do. I'm not saying it is nor am I saying it's not. I'll wait and judge for myself.

emeck 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 19:08:02
#57 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
by WolfToTheMoon on 18-Oct-2010 17:13:49 @emeck Quote: ex amigans(not to mention new users) that are now happily using their win/mac/linux machines. are going to throw away/buy another machines to get a pc that is branded Amiga to use, what, win/mac/linux? I would consider seriously, yes, to replace my desktop with c64x and my Toshiba laptop with a AMIGA laptop... Also, I will be buying a tablet for my studies, so yet another possible product. If it's good quality and decent price, naturally. Seeing that they intend to provide accessories and C64/Amiga emulation, I'd be more then happy to buy one of their controllers and play 1942 and rick dangerous as I did when I was a kid on my C64, but now without the hassle of magnetic tapes

All of which you can do with the current offerings int the market. Don't need a pc with a Amiga label in the case for that. But if you want to have it, then ok. But please, understand, that is not what most people here want. We have our Amigas now: 68k, PPC, x86, running AOS, MorphOS and AROS natively or emulated.

Quote:
Also, if they introduce a new custom OS for their computers, be it from the very start or later on, I'd be also interested in coding, be it games or apps, time and money permitting on my side.

A big IF. For now I have the costums OSes to choose from for my Amiga experience. If the manage to make one in the tradition of Amiga, great, maybe I also consider it.

But like you seem to have no problem to use Windows/Linux in your new CUSA Amiga until you have a new CUSA Amiga OS, I have no problem in using AMigaOS4.x in my A1SE or later new SAM or new X1000 while it catches up with current technologies, and use Linux in my laptop for what is laking.

You see, we are not so different after all. Both have to wait.

klx300r 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 19:34:59
#58 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:
@djrikki

....Also note... I'm merely guessing here but I do suspect Amigas will launch with a custom linux OS. So that will be the new official platform OS.

..damn! you made you spill my drink with that comment

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

vox 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 20:39:14
#59 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Well, we have not yet seen public demo of CBM USA Amiga with a case,
working AROS/WinUAE (whatever plans are).

Even the COMODO (what is that?) / WinUAE / AROS / ChromeOS are no longer mentioned.

Old CBM Amiga logo is used, which has been replaced by BoingBall about since OS 3.5, so it does no longer represent Amiga/AmigaOS development.

Case design presented is someone elses design that did not materialize (AmigaDream case for ITX Amiga NG`s like A1 Micro and SAM EP non flex)

Since belief of thousands people is that it will run OS 3.0 software and games,
will you provide Kickstart images and WB 3.0 disks?

A lot of questions yet to be resolved, so there is no roadmap and clarity even here.

A-EON has quite original, non existing PPC board for both Linux PPC and AmigaOS 4. Only problem is that is not that commercially viable as cheap All in one computer with CBM Amiga name.

(Even Commodore Amiga name relates to A500 - A4000 series, so is a missleading, should have some model name or Commodore USA Amiga name)

Cass 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 20:41:19
#60 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Would it be possible to run games such as "Alone in the Dark" with the Nvidia Ion2 card & Atom CPU?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle