Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 88 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 maseghir:  7 mins ago
 VooDoo:  7 mins ago
 clint:  44 mins ago
 OlafS25:  49 mins ago
 amigakit:  54 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 gryfon:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  2 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  UtilityBase hacked??
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Xenic 
UtilityBase hacked??
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 16:08:27
#1 ]

Every time I attempt to visit UtilityBase, the top toolbar is displayed and then I am redirected to some stupid poker site. Is this happening to everyone?

Profile     Report this post  
kas1e 
Re: UtilityBase hacked??
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 16:11:57
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic

Its start to be infected about year ago. Infected one time, nicomen remove it. Then one more time, and at this time few month was like this. Then Nicomen again remove it. And now, that one which we have for now, i think already 5-6 moths there. And not saying that count of views on site not works, as well as "code" tags are ####ed as well.

I write on the UB few time about, i write few mails to Nicomen about, i say few times that to Nicomen on irc , but .. sadly to say, such good and full of info site, no more interesting for him and we have what we have.

I even ask him to give me administration right, and i will fix all the crap, but again, no answer from him. I also remember that someone else ask him about admin right, also in hope to fix it, but he not do it himself, and not give to anyone possibility to fix the crap.

billt 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 16:12:56
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic

I see the utilitybase normal site. Though I do use NoScript plugin for Firefox, and I only allow utilitybase itself, there are other sites in the list wanting to run scripts that I don't recognize and don't allow, if that makes some difference. Considering the previous malware issues on UtilityBase, I think it's wise to disallow other sites wanting to run scripts on their page.

billt 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 16:17:19
#4 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e
Quote:
such good and full of info site, no more interesting for him and we have what we have.

That's sad to hear. :(

OldFart 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 16:19:29
#5 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@kas1e

Quote:
I even ask him to give me administration right, and i will fix all the crap, but again, no answer from him. I also remember that someone else ask him about admin right, also in hope to fix it, but he not do it himself, and not give to anyone possibility to fix the crap.

Pitty that this site is falling by the wayside as we speak. It will be missed sorely I think. Is there any particular reason Nicomen gave for his unwillingness/inabillity to cede admin rights?

OldFart

Xenic 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 16:25:07
#6 ]

@billt
Quote:
I see the utilitybase normal site.

O.K. I see what you mean. I don't see any way to disallow scripts in OS4 OWB, but I disabled JavaScript in IBrowse and the site loads in IBrowse. I wonder if this is some sort of WEB page virus or is UtilityBase being singled out and hacked?

Hypex 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 16:33:37
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic

It's been poked!

Actually I'm not surprised.

Hypex 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 16:47:55
#8 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

Quote:
It will be missed sorely I think.

Perhaps it's time to move over to the new OS4Coding.net website?
http://www.os4coding.net/

centaurz 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 17:09:00
#9 ]

@Hypex

The thing is:

1) Utilitybase.com already has an invaluable database of questions of answers to search in (and Wikis too)

2) On Utilitybase, visitors can benefit from advice of programmers from other platforms, because the major part of the API is still common (think Intuition, layers, Exec & friends). OS-specific parts can still be covered (and actually most OS-specific threads are about OS4).

3) Utilitybase has an active user base

Personally, I don't get this trend to set up new web sites with loads of cool functions but duplicate use with existing ones. Amiga world is already split up enough.

kas1e 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 17:26:33
#10 ]
Elite Member

@centaurz

Yeah, you are 100% right. Also UB with us already many years (even if current form, when we have questions we still can use it). While i dunno how long will live any new site. While Walkero are show that he do sites well, still, dunno what will happens with his motivation after year or so.

Should to add that for example many users from morphos and aros, are help on UB with your aos4 problems. While they for sure will out of interest to go to os4coding.net.

Last edited by kas1e on 04-Feb-2011 at 05:27 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 17:26:44
#11 ]
Elite Member

@centaurz
http://www.os4coding.net/forum/should-os4coding-continue-being-place-only-amigaos-4x-programming

If anyone is interested in seeing os4coding.net going multi-platform, as an alternative to poor old UtilityBase, then now might be the time to speak-up...

Last edited by ChrisH on 04-Feb-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 04-Feb-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Hans 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 19:32:49
#12 ]
Elite Member

@centaurz

Quote:

centaurz wrote:
@Hypex

The thing is:

1) Utilitybase.com already has an invaluable database of questions of answers to search in (and Wikis too)

2) On Utilitybase, visitors can benefit from advice of programmers from other platforms, because the major part of the API is still common (think Intuition, layers, Exec & friends). OS-specific parts can still be covered (and actually most OS-specific threads are about OS4).

3) Utilitybase has an active user base

Personally, I don't get this trend to set up new web sites with loads of cool functions but duplicate use with existing ones. Amiga world is already split up enough.

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time that utilitybase has been infected with malware. The previous time that it happened, it took months before it was resolved, and it got put on the Google blacklist too. This time, it's been infected for about a year, and it sounds like it got worse (it never redirected me to poker).

I stopped visiting utilitybase ages ago because of the malware problem. While I'd prefer it if utilitybase were fixed and improved, it doesn't look like that's happening, so I have no problem with it being replaced. That's why I now use os4coding.net instead.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 04-Feb-2011 at 07:33 PM.

OldFart 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 19:42:48
#13 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@All

You can still reach UtilityBase.com by utilising IBrowse. IBrowse offers the option to not executing scripts. This does 'cure' the problem.

OldFart

ChaosLord 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 21:53:45
#14 ]
Cult Member

Before visiting UtitlityBase, I always turn off my GIANT GAPING SECURITY HOLE (commonly referred to as "Javascript" ) That keeps me safe doesn't it?

It seems to me that since Nicomen has lost interest in the site that it is only a matter of time before it disappears. Can someone download all of the threads there to keep them safe? There is a lot of ridiculously valuable information there! I would just die if it all got lost

CodeSmith 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 6:17:34
#15 ]
Elite Member

@ChaosLord

I agree, and what's probably going to end up happening is that the DNS for utilitybase will eventually expire and it will take months before Nico renews it. Before that happens, have someone retrieve all the OS4-specific info, scrub it for malware, and put it on os4coding. Then head over to amiga.org and suggest that the other amigoid OS's do the same - there have to be equivalents to os4coding for OS3, MOS and AROS. If Nico gets back to supporting his site, the info will be in two places instead of one, and if he doesn't, then it will be in one place instead of none

Last edited by CodeSmith on 05-Feb-2011 at 06:19 AM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 9:23:32
#16 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith Quote:
I agree, and what's probably going to end up happening is that the DNS for utilitybase will eventually expire

Expiration Date: 22-Oct-2011

We don't have long...

Amigo1 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 11:13:31
#17 ]

@all

there was a handy feature in (burp) IE once, you could save a webpage and tell how deep it should have followed the links. Is there any browser capable of this? someone happens to have IE 3 to IE5?

Anyway, the site can be reached with Safari too once Javascript is disabled in the menu.

edit: oh, I found IE5 and it seems to work with rosetta, although very slow. I'm currently downloading utilitybase down to 5 link levels.. curious to see if it will work..

Last edited by Amigo1 on 05-Feb-2011 at 11:37 AM.

kas1e 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 12:43:41
#18 ]
Elite Member

@all
Imho, will be much better, if someone who know nicomen well, will just annoy him _very much_, and dump whole UB stuff from hoster's hdd 1:1 , then pack it, and put for first in public, and for second, use that database for creating new site.

That way will be awesome. Because we will have new kind of UB, wich all the info, which are _very_very_ need it. Because if all the data will die from UB, it mean that tons of questions, answers, necessary info will die.

For now i even can type in google any programming amiga related question, and i almost always have link on some UB thread.

Amigo1 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 13:56:23
#19 ]

@kas1e

yes, that would be good.

It's almost 3 hours and I got only 43MB so far.. painfully sloooow...

ChaosLord 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 14:40:34
#20 ]
Cult Member

@kas1e

Quote:

kas1e wrote:
@all
Imho, will be much better, if someone ... dump whole UB stuff from hoster's hdd 1:1 , then pack it, and put for first in public, and for second, use that database for creating new site.

That way will be awesome. Because we will have new kind of UB, wich all the info, which are _very_very_ need it. Because if all the data will die from UB, it mean that tons of questions, answers, necessary info will die.

+1

Save UtilityBase!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle