Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 106 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  7 mins ago
 Matt3k:  30 mins ago
 kolla:  35 mins ago
 Torque:  44 mins ago
 Karlos:  56 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 MickJT:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 kiFla:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Boing window with floppy insert request means what?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
ggw 
Boing window with floppy insert request means what?
Posted on 2-Apr-2011 23:04:44
#1 ]

What exactly does the presence of the boing window mean?

Noticed bootup failing to light up CRT until I cycled power
(again) was increasing. Assumed battery dying. Nope.

AmigaOne A1XE with sii0680 CDROM + couple hard drives and R9250 graphics.

Reseated all connectors. Checked 3V battery. Checked that fans turn.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Replacing the battery killed off several settings in NVRAM.

Had to redo:
setenv sii0680ide_conf 1021
setenv sii0680ide_xfer a0EC
setenv boot1 psii
saveenv

I placed the AOS Update4.1 CD in the CDROM and 1 time (only) it booted to it.
I could slowly do any ordinary thing. I could see all my files on all my disks.

I shrugged, took out the CD and attempted to reboot. It was late. I quit.
Today, the bootup goes well via the CDROM (you know... slow) all the way
to the big AOS4 splash picture.... then the boing window with floppy
motion bit ALWAYS happens now.

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

Profile     Report this post  
Snuffy 
Re: Boing window with floppy insert request means what?
Posted on 3-Apr-2011 1:00:40
#2 ]

@ggw

Replacing the battery killed off several settings in NVRAM.
Yep, me too, last weekend; all the SII0680 card settings got erased !
Try these...

a1ide_maxbus=0
autostart=yes
sii0680ide_conf=1122 ; HD;HD;CD;CD
sii0680ide_xfer=DDB0 ;UDMA 4,4,2,PIO
boot1=psii
boot2=psiicdrom
boot_config=Default

Your sii0680ide_conf and ide_xfer isn't very good.

ggw 
Posted on 3-Apr-2011 1:46:20
#3 ]

@Snuffy

Based on what I read over at Amiga Auckland AmigaOne about uboot I changed to this:
setenv ide psii
setenv sii0680ide_conf 1021 (confirmed that is correct by looking inside)
setenv sii0680ide_xfer 0000 (supposed to let sii0680ide decide on xfer rate)
setenv boot1 psii
setenv boot2 psiicdrom
saveenv
boota

It certainly takes all its booting info from the CDROM, but after showin the AOS4 splash screen for a few seconds still jumps immediately to the OS 4 Kernel (Kickstart Version 53.12) boing ball screen and shows the floppy inserting into the floppy drive over and over.

I think I will try moving the io cables off of the sii0680 and onto the internal IDE so I can feel that the problem is not my sii0680. In which case I'll remove the sii0680 and
setenv ide (to remove that variable)
setenv sii0680ide_conf (to remove that variable)
setenv sii0680ide_xfer (to remove that variable)
setenv a1ide_conf 1021
setenv a1ide_xfer A0EC
setenv boot1 ide
setenv boot1 cdrom
saveenv
boota

Regardless of the outcome I think I'll then go eat supper !!

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

tonyw 
Posted on 3-Apr-2011 4:34:48
#4 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

The "insert disk" screen means that there is no bootable drive, that means that none of your Boot1, Boot2 or Boot3 drive names has an SLB installed AND a bootable partition.

Don't waste more time pulling it all apart and starting again. Just leave the hardware alone and fix the configuration so that the boot process can work properly.

Go back and boot the CD. If you can't even do that any more, you'll have to interrupt U-Boot and make sure that "Boot1=psiicdrom", saveenv and reboot with CD in the drive.

Then:
1) Using MTB from the CD, open the HD you are trying to boot.
2) Click "Edit RDB/Install", check that "AmigaOne Boot Code" contains "l:slb_v2, v 1.19". If not, copy it from L: on the CD and make sure that it is present in L: of your system partition.
3) Close the "Edit RDB/Install" page and open the "Edit partitions and Filesystems" page.
4) Make sure that the partition containing your system is set to "Bootable".
5) Make sure that the partition containing your system has a "Boot Priority" higher than that of other partitions on that disk. Priorities should be in the range of 0-5.

Boot volumes:
You should have the CD as boot device 1 (so that plugging in the CD takes precedence over the HDD). The HDD should be boot device 2. Leave boot device 3 until you have another device like an sii3114, then you can set that to "Boot3=s4sii".

So set as follows:
setenv boot1 psiicdrom
setenv boot2 psii

Now the system will boot from the sii0680 HD unless you plug in a CD, when it will boot from that. I've left out things like "sii0680ide_maxbus", I think you understand them.

If you use U-Boot to make the changes, be aware that U-Boot wipes Boot1 and Boot2 when you enter the menu. It's safer to use "nvsetvar" from a Shell - eg from a Shell started from the CD.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Slayer 
Posted on 3-Apr-2011 5:15:29
#5 ]

@ggw

Quote:
setenv sii0680ide_xfer 0000 (supposed to let sii0680ide decide on xfer rate)

That's strange since G dictates the ideal speed in UDMA for HDs (although with that controller, and I have one, there were recommendations that you drop down one level on any HD that seems to have problems maintaining that max speed, forget the indicators of this :p ) and 0 the ideal or best speed for optical media, hence my sii3114ide_xfer=GGG0 setting

and idetool reports:

-------------------Unit 0 information------------------------
Flags : $000001A7 - present, LBA48 used, supports DMA, ATA, supports acoustic mgmt, supports cache flush, interrupts used,
Xfer mode : best pio 12 (PIO 4, 16 MB/s) / best dma 70 (UDMA 6, 133 MB/s) / current 70 (UDMA 6, 133 MB/s)
Total blocks : 625142448
Blocksize : 512
Power mode : 2 / idle (ready for operation)
IO1 / IO2 / BMCR @ : $1100 / $110A / $1120
-------------------Unit 1 information------------------------
Flags : $000001A7 - present, LBA48 used, supports DMA, ATA, supports acoustic mgmt, supports cache flush, interrupts used,
Xfer mode : best pio 12 (PIO 4, 16 MB/s) / best dma 70 (UDMA 6, 133 MB/s) / current 70 (UDMA 6, 133 MB/s)
Total blocks : 1953525168
IO1 / IO2 / BMCR @ : $1100 / $110A / $1120
-------------------Unit 2 information------------------------
Total blocks : 976773168
IO1 / IO2 / BMCR @ : $1110 / $111A / $1128
-------------------Unit 3 information------------------------
Flags : $0000011D - present, supports DMA, removable media, ATAPI, interrupts used,
Xfer mode : best pio 12 (PIO 4, 16 MB/s) / best dma 68 (UDMA 4, 66 MB/s) / current 12 (PIO 4, 16 MB/s)
Total blocks : 0
Blocksize : 0
SCSI devtyp : 5
Packet size : 12
Current medium read speed : x 65535 ('65535' stands for max.)
Current medium write speed : x 65535 (idem)
IO1 / IO2 / BMCR @ : $1110 / $111A / $1128

ggw 
Posted on 3-Apr-2011 21:08:55
#6 ]

@tonyw

Always get boing screen regardless of hard disk boot or CROM boot with
3 different OS4 CDs, one of which is original printed by Hyperion.

Won't bore you with what's been further tried. I believe below follows your suggestions. I am open to more.
I am using sii 680. I pulled it out completely. Reseated it. Rechecked cabling. Checked 3v battery. Its in circuit voltage is 3.034 v by this voltmeter. Tried menuboot_cmd value of " " also. Tried boota straight from ] prompt. I *did* swap everything over to VIA ide as mentioned in earlier email.

George Wyche AmigaOne U-Boot 1.1.1 settings 2011-04-03 14:55

.------ A=added D=default m=default, but modified by me
| .--- order that happens if you do printenv
v v =========================================================
A 22 setenv agp_enable on
A 23 setenv agp_sideband off
A 24 setenv agp_speed 2x
A 46 setenv autostart yes
D 03 setenv baudrate 115200
m 37 setenv boot1 psiicdrom
A 38 setenv boot2 psii
A 39 setenv boot3 " "
A 40 setenv boot_config Default
A 42 setenv boot_method boota
A 41 setenv boota_timeout 3
A 45 setenv bootargs "root=/dev/ram rw ramdisk=4096"
D 01 setenv bootcmd "menu; run menuboot_cmd"
D 02 setenv bootdelay 0
D 19 setenv bootmethod boota
D 20 setenv ethact "3Com 3c920c#0"
D 21 setenv ethaddr 00:09:D2:11:02:49
A 25 setenv ide psii
D 09 setenv ide_cd_timeout 30
D 07 setenv ide_doreset on
D 08 setenv ide_maxbus 2
A 26 setenv ide_swap 0
m 49 setenv menuboot_cmd "ide reset; boota; boota"
A 43 setenv menuboot_delay 3
D 10 setenv menucmd menu
A 44 setenv os4_commandline debuglevel=0
A 27 setenv parallel_address 378
A 47 setenv parallel_mode 2
D 11 setenv pci_irqa 9
D 12 setenv pci_irqa_select level
D 13 setenv pci_irqb 10
D 14 setenv pci_irqb_select level
D 15 setenv pci_irqc 11
D 16 setenv pci_irqc_select level
D 17 setenv pci_irqd 7
D 18 setenv pci_irqd_select level
D 04 setenv preboot " "
A 28 setenv serial1_address 3f8
A 29 setenv serial2_address 2f8
A 30 setenv sii0680ide_conf 1021
A 31 setenv sii0680ide_timeout 3
A 32 setenv sii0680ide_xfer 0000
D 06 setenv stdin ps2kbd
D 05 setenv stdout vga
A 33 setenv usb0_enable on
A 34 setenv usb1_enable off
A 35 setenv usb_use_header 0
A 36 setenv video_activate pci
D 48 setenv video_num 1

sundown 
Posted on 3-Apr-2011 22:54:35
#7 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

You didn't say if your on-board ide worked or not. I had the same problem with my 0680 card, no boot, had to go back to my on-board ide ports. If you do, remember you need to re-configure uboot. I used uboot prefs to set it up before I pulled my card, I then just had to re-connect the ide cable to the on-board ide ports.

tonyw 
Posted on 4-Apr-2011 0:43:25
#8 ]
Elite Member

George,

As I said before, the "insert disk" screen means that the system (at some stage in the boot sequence) can't find a bootable volume.

The required sequence is (as far as I know, this is as I understand it):

1) U-Boot searches "Boot1" for a bootstrap. If none is found, it searches "Boot2", then "Boot3". If no bootable disk is found, U-Boot says something like "no bootable device".
2) U-Boot loads and jumps to the bootstrap which is the First Level Booter (FLB). FLB loads SLB from the RDB on the disk. If there is no SLB loaded, you will get the message "no SLB found on any device".
3) SLB searches the partitions on the disk for a bootable partition. If it finds none, you will get the "insert disk" animation.
4) SLB loads the loader, which then loads Kickstart from the partition with the highest boot priority and jumps to it (this is where you see the choice of Kickstart configuration and the "Loading Kickstart" progress bar).
5) The loader then decides which partition is going to be "SYS:" from the disk and partition with the highest boot priority and runs Startup-Sequence (that is how you can end up with Kickstart modules from one disk and the system from another).
6) At this stage, OS4 is running its own device drivers and using the env-variables like "sii0680ide_conf", "sii0680ide_xfer" and "sii0680ide_maxbus". If any of those prevents your system partition from being scanned or seen, then again, you will get the mystical hand.

I suggest you sit back, take a deep breath and ask yourself just how far it is getting. Just get the CD booting using the on-board controller first, then try the sii0680 again. Start by setting all U-Boot variables back to "Default".

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

ggw 
Posted on 4-Apr-2011 2:40:03
#9 ]

@sundown

No change in symptoms.

I'm a wordy guy. You'll know it when my computer works again.

ggw 
Posted on 4-Apr-2011 3:03:52
#10 ]

@tonyw

I got my AmigaOne back. What succeeded was some unknown reshuffling of the whole setup. I'll never know precisely what was wrong and got set right.

I disassembled my setup, flexed every thing I could flex, un cabled and re cabled every cable, reassembled, checked all power supply voltages (except the tiny variations dialed in for the cpu). Now the setup runs as of old.

I sure have a lot more documentation on U-Boot/NVRam now!

=============================================================================
I am at #6. All boot devices have FLB and SLB. All of those function properly. I ALWAYS see the kick start being loaded. If I tell it boot1 psiicdrom the kickstart loading is slow as molasses and the CD is whirring like crazy. If I do boot1 psii the kickstart is as normal. When moved everything over to VIA ide and totally removed the sii 0680, boot1 cdrom results in CD whirring and kickstart is read from the CD

I've used 3 different Hyperion derived CDs (one is from them).

I was hoping someone might see something obvious in the NVRAM list.

I was hoping it was the battery because over the space of 3 days I found that I had to "start over" to get the AmigaOne to boot up by switching on the ON/OFF switch on the back... again. And that worked. I thought nothing of it on day 1. Day 2. I was suspicious, but focused on other things. Day 3. When it didn't boot I changed the battery out straight away.. That was when I had to go look through my (too) old notes about what I had been using for NVRAM settings. ***One time*** after replacing the battery and messing around with NVRam settings I got my CDROM to boot up as normal and ran (albeit slowly) all my normal stuff.. but just "old" OS. Confident it was all a dream I changed back to boot the HD and now it never ends in any way but with the boing window.

I've messed with all of this for over 10 man hours now and... took the deep breath and went and did other things for 5 hours. Now I'm back. I have no new ideas.

Last edited by ggw on 05-Apr-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Last edited by ggw on 05-Apr-2011 at 01:15 AM.

themamboman 
Posted on 14-Nov-2013 14:10:18
#11 ]

@ggw

I know this is a 2 year old thread but I'm having issues with my A1XE G3 motherboard as well:

U-Boot 1.1.1, autostart=yes,
Using internal IDE controller (CDROM is master, 32GB drive as slave)

Registered pre-release of 4.0 so I could then download and use the 4.0 Final ISO to do the install (I couldn't install with pre-release, because my mouse pointer never showed up, final fixed that).

Ran the install, Edited RDB, installed the slb_v2 file, then partitioned the HDD into DH0 (FastFileSystem, long names, automount, bootable) and DH1 (FFS, Longnames, automount, not bootable).

Restarted, booted back into the CDROM, formatted the two partitions with Quickformat, then ran the long installation procedure, finally selecting the resolution of the AGP radeon 9000 pro card (maxed at 1600x1200), then restarted.

Changed to boot IDE HDD instead of IDE CDROM, It did the FLB/SLB text, then showed a single entry that was bootable: AmigaOS4.0 on DH0. Let it boot that. Saw a progress bar in the terminal-like environment saying that it was loading the kickstart files (very fast since it was from the HDD). Then, blank screen for a few seconds, then...

Boing Ball, insert floppy animation.

Using the sequence listed above, if it found a bootable partition (DH0), and started loading the kickstart progress bar, wouldn't the insert floppy animation have happened long before this?

Anyone have any ideas?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 14-Nov-2013 16:38:22
#12 ]
Elite Member

@themamboman

UBOOT found the SLB2 loaded the kickstart, but did not found a boot able volume after that, so your stuck on the insert disk boot screen.

It's likely that kickstart was loaded from a hard-drive that connected to external sata controller or something like that; but kickstart driver for that controller was not loaded, and so the OS does not see the hard drives.

It can also be explained by the OS checking the uboot variables, and think there is no hard drive connected or it thinks it’s a cdrom.

exit to uboot, by pressing ESC, ESC, ESC.

list the env variables whit "printenv" and see what the if find a line whit a1ide_conf something.

or simply type:

printenv a1ide_conf

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 15-Nov-2013 at 10:23 AM.

themamboman 
Posted on 15-Nov-2013 14:37:16
#13 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Thanks for the advice. There was an another HDD controller card inside, with my old 30GB SSD connected, so to be safe, I removed that. Same issue.

So, at that point, there is only the internal IDE controller with a DVD drive as master, and 32GB HDD as slave. I set the Uboot settings in the UI as only using the primary controller.

I then reformatted the HDD to have only a single partition (DH0), FFS with Long filenames, full 32GB. Checked the Automount and bootable, boot priority is left at 0. MTD showed that the slb_v2 was installed.

I forced it to boot from the CD, had to Quick Format this new, single partition, re-verified with MTD that it was set to automount, bootable and had SLB_v2 installed.

Then, I ran the standard intall. After install was over, opened the new, single HDD, saw that the files were installed, set to show all, then made sure slb_v2 in the L: drawer.

Rebooted, reset to boot from HDD, ejected CD, rebooted again, showed a boot option of "AmigaOS on DH0", selected that, kickstart progress bar runs (faster than before since from HDD), then boot floppy animation.

Tried resetting uboot prefs to default, then went through the settings on intutionbase.com in the uboot section to do this all again.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for all the help!

Oh, and how to do get the full output of printenv from uboot? It scrolls off the screen before I can see it.Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@themamboman

UBOOT found the SLB2 loaded the kickstart, but did not found a boot able volume after that, so your stuck on the insert disk boot screen.

It's likely that kickstart was loaded from a hard-drive that connected to external sata controller or something like that; but kickstart driver for that controller was not loaded, and so the OS does not see the hard drives.

It can also be explained by the OS checking the uboot variables, and think there is no hard drive connected or it thinks it’s a cdrom.

exit to uboot, by pressing ESC, ESC, ESC.

list the env variables whit "printenv" and see what the if find a line whit a1ide_conf something.

or simply type:

printenv a1ide_conf

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 15-Nov-2013 16:06:08
#14 ]
Elite Member

@themamboman

Quote:
saw that the files were installed, set to show all, then made sure slb_v2 in the L: drawer.

While the SLB is normally copied to L: uboot does not load it from there, because UBOOT does know what an Amiga File System is, instead its read from the RDB block of the disk.

Anyway this is not the problem you're having; I think your SLB_v2 is working perfect.

What is not working perfect is the kickstart its confused some how.

And this probably due the a1ide_conf uboot variable.
Like I wrote in my previous post you type:
PRINTENV a1ide_conf

this will show some numbers, there are fore decimal positions etch of number defines what is connected to the IDE bus.

Primary master.
Primary Slave.
Secondary Master.
Secondary Slave.

for etch of the for decimals can have value of 0,1 or 2 (disabled, cdrom and disk), what number is what I don't remember, anyway if the kickstart think your hd is a cdrom, or if it thinks its disabled it want boot from it.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 15-Nov-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 15-Nov-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 15-Nov-2013 at 04:07 PM.

themamboman 
Posted on 16-Nov-2013 16:38:26
#15 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

definitely helped. Between this thread and one on hyperion's thread, it turns out that I had to make an a1ide_conf, with the right values.

It gets past the boing ball now, but then a blank screen. I thought the monitor setting chosen at the end of install process was the culprit, so I reinstalled, choosing the default 800x600 60 mode (which is what I asssumed would work due to the fact that the install cd seemed to show okay.

Still a blank screen.

Would switching to OS4.1 or a SAM 440 board be easier than dealing with an A1XE G3 and OS4.0 final?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 16-Nov-2013 23:16:54
#16 ]
Elite Member

@themamboman

To get past the next part, will need to experiment.

It can be “a1ide_xfer” it controls the speed of the disk, whit wrong settings AmigaOS will crash.

USB has also been a problem maker for the boot process, disable the USB until all updates are installed might be good idea, it might also not be good idea to reboot after installing AmigaOS from the CD, it might be better then to install the updates before rebooting.

Also it boot can take a long long time, if DHCP is enabled and TCP/IP stack does not find a IP address.

A new bootable AmigaOS4.1 ISO image is on the way whit all the updates, it might be idea to wait for it.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Nov-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Nov-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 16-Nov-2013 at 11:36 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 16-Nov-2013 23:26:05
#17 ]
Elite Member

@themamboman

Quote:
Would switching to OS4.1 or a SAM 440 board be easier than dealing with an A1XE G3 and OS4.0 final?

AmigaOS4.0 is really old, you should have upgraded to AmigaOS4.1.

Well Sam440 it hardware problem free, but its really slow, the Sam460 is better I think almost every way, if you do not want to spend a lot of money on it.

There is one driver thats not full optimized yet the onboard SATA connector, most people plug in SATA controller in PCI or PICe 1x slot, so its not a problem.

The Sam440,460 all use the UBOOT bios software, so if you do not like it, then you need to look at AmigaONE-X1000 that is using CFE, CFE is not too unlike UBOOT, the boot process is how ever different, there is also OpenFirmware used in Pegasus II hardware, its also command based bios firmware.

Morphix 
Posted on 16-Nov-2013 23:51:20
#18 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

A new bootable AmigaOS4.1 ISO image is on the way whit all the updates, it might be idea to wait for it.

Good news, hope that we would not have to wait a lot for it.

Sam 440EP, AmigaOne XE,
MacMini PPC, PowerMac G4, G5

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 0:19:54
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Morphix

It will be the final update before AmigaOS 4.2.

(Well if he does not own AmigaOS4.1 it might ide to wait for AmigaOS4.2.)

themamboman 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 4:12:50
#20 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Okay, so what would be a safe speed to set the a1ide_xfer value?

Okay, I'll use a ps2 mouse and disable all USB and try

I don't feel good spending $130+ USD for OS4.1 if I can't even get 4.0 working. Getting 4.0 working was the test. If that works, I'll be going for the latest and greatest.

Thanks again!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle